• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

DaBoss

Very end game spoilers
IMO the phantom's face swaps are much more nightmare fuel inducing, Prof. Means head on that body? No thank you.

Ehh, I find the former more nightmarish. It's like the comparison with (spoiler about 999)
999 Clover
except I find that more scarier than what happened in AA5.

Case 3, Trial Day 1 end: Ha ha ha, that was some grade-A nonsense going on there.
Nothing like three consecutive confessions to muddy the water! Not that I suspected any of them.

PK Gaming

I just finished Case 3

Best case in the game, without a doubt. The premise, characters and twists were all top notch. It hit all of the right emotional notes, and the trial was really fun and exciting to play through. I also think it brought out the best in Athena. I was kind of iffy on her at first, but I really like her now.

I can't get over how great that case was. I liked all of the players, and I even enjoyed Means. I mean we all saw Means being the killer a mile away (it could only be him), but I honestly doesn't change how great the case was setup. I think this case exemplified why Athena's Mood Matrix is a fantastic feature. I got goosebumps going through Robin and Hugh's psychological testimony, and I felt really bad for both of them. True story, my hands were shaking during Robin' big reveal (Did anyone do 3 or 4 double takes. Is he a cross gender, is he coming out as a gay person / transgender, is he a girl...???)

As I mentioned before, I love the new logic system. So much hype!

It just doesn't get much better than this.

I find it unacceptable that there was only
one ladder vs step-ladder joke in the entire game, and that they just kinda gave it to you. It's much more fun when you see the ladder and know what's coming

I'm thinking I'm gonna replay Case 3.

Just finished, I have to say I enjoyed this immensely though I did feel the final stretch was a bit too dragged out as usual. I only really feel like 1-4 and 2-4 got final pacing of the final case right.

That's nitpicking though, this was a fantastic game and I honestly believe it's the best in the series. This game better then any other in the franchise has it's own well contained story and a story that connects back to not only Apollo Justice but the events of AA1-3.

If this was the final Ace Attorney game I feel this would be a worthy send off to the series

But we have a DLC case on the way, and Layton vs Ace Attorney next year, let's keep the Ace Attorney train rolling as long as we can!

5-5 > 5-4 > 5-3 > 5-2 > 5-1

And

AA5 > AA1 > AA3 > AAI > AA2 > AA4

i reallly think they needa get away from 'you can't progress from this cross examination until you press every statement'.

I do it anyways, but sometimes you accidentally skip one and you are stuck because everything you pressent is wrong.

FluxWaveZ

i reallly think they needa get away from 'you can't progress from this cross examination until you press every statement'.

I do it anyways, but sometimes you accidentally skip one and you are stuck because everything you pressent is wrong.

Is there ever a cross-examination in AA5 that actually requires the player to press the witness on every statement?

GSR

Believe me when I say you don't know the pain of that particular setup until you've played PLvsPW. 5 statements of pure exposition, all of which need pressing. The crown of 'single worst cross-examination in the series' has been awarded.

rekameohs

Banned

I'm fine with those. There's only a certain amount of ways they can keep the cross examinations fresh, after all.

The worst ones were ones were ones where you had to press a statement, then press one EARLIER in the testimony. I remember that happening in at least JFA and T&T, maybe other games, too.

I can only think of one time in this game where you were truly forced to press all 4? statements before the game moved on and even then I think you got a bit of info after each one. It really shouldn't have been a testimony it was basically an evidence dump in the form of a cross examination. Not sure if it was case 3 or case 4 that happened.

FluxWaveZ

I can only think of one time in this game where you were truly forced to press all 4? statements before the game moved on and even then I think you got a bit of info after each one. It really shouldn't have been a testimony it was basically an evidence dump in the form of a cross examination. Not sure if it was case 3 or case 4 that happened.

Ah right, I think one cross-examination involving Fulbright just to get more information concerning the case. I'm fine with that.

Guess Who

Banned
Is there ever a cross-examination in AA5 that actually requires the player to press the witness on every statement?

At least one or two. You can usually tell because the partner's advice after you've heard the whole testimony is "welp, better press everything."

Ah right, I think one cross-examination involving Fulbright just to get more information concerning the case. I'm fine with that.

Isn't that how most of the "detective" testimonies go? First time around is just evidence dump and pressing, then second go around has a contradiction?

GSR

So Bolt and other Japanese AA players, how does the DLC case compare to the other cases in this game?

It might be my favorite, honestly. Great new characters, a fun setting, investigation is a bit more varied than the rest of the cases, a good mystery, and a surprisingly strong overarching plot. In some ways it feels like the team let themselves cut loose a bit with it, which is great (DD is a strong game, but it feels very structured and reactionary in some ways.)

It might be my favorite, honestly. Great new characters, a fun setting, investigation is a bit more varied than the rest of the cases, a good mystery, and a surprisingly strong overarching plot. In some ways it feels like the team let themselves cut loose a bit with it, which is great (DD is a strong game, but it feels very structured and reactionary in some ways.)

Well as I'm pretty sure you're the person way back in the day who got me top play these games you've got me excited for this DLC case. Here's hoping it gets localized soon!

Jintor

I press every statement regardless

back in the day i used to present every piece of evidence to everyone but they've really cut back on what people will comment on... :(

rekameohs

Banned
Well as I'm pretty sure you're the person way back in the day who got me top play these games you've got me excited for this DLC case. Here's hoping it gets localized soon!

Japanese version came out just under a month after release, so I would imagine this will follow in suit.

L00P

Pressing Moe the clown and getting a penalty for it is bullshit. I just want to press statements even if they are useless, dammit

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Seems if you try to conform a twitch at the very end of a statement, you get stuck on the confirmation screen and can't get out of it.

Welp, time to do the entire investigation again.

TWILT

Banned
Just finished Case 3. Wow, that was awesome. One of my favorite cases in the series easily. Hoping the last two cases are great too.

Wait... people don't press everything? I sure as hell do, without question; I want to absorb every damn line of text I can in this series. That's why my game time is so padded.

Aha, caught a Katamari Damashii reference too. Oh these guys.
Now this one I did catch!

Managed to pool some cash to buy this.
Just finished case 2, somehow I like it more that Apollo Justice.
dragonlife said:
Wait... people don't press everything? I sure as hell do, without question; I want to absorb every damn line of text I can in this series. That's why my game time is so padded.
*brofist*

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Random not really a spoiler detail about the case 4 defendant design I just noticed:
Dude's head even looks like a damn rocket when he looks at your straight on. Might be obvious but it was a mini mind blow for me.

I love that stuff. Also the animation Blackquill has where he slams the desk is AMAZING when you see Taka's eyes get big for a split second.

Also done with Case 3. Best case so far. Man, Case 4 intro was something.

Same. I must read every line I can find, and that's why I was so angry initially with how streamlined they made the investigations in this game. By the start of Case 3 my activity log had me at over 15hrs playtime.

Fey

Banned
I'm fine with those. There's only a certain amount of ways they can keep the cross examinations fresh, after all.

The worst ones were ones were ones where you had to press a statement, then press one EARLIER in the testimony. I remember that happening in at least JFA and T&T, maybe other games, too.

Oh god, these are definitely my least favourite. Press Statement 3 > Press Statement 4 > Press Statement 3 ughh. I don't think there's been a case where you had to do this and I DIDN'T end up using a guide to figure it out. >.<

I'm also on #TeamPressEveryStatement.

Jintor

If we get a next AA, I hope it's a little more difficult. I could probably have sleepwalked through this one if the revelations weren't so... uh... revelatory.

athena's objection theme is pretty neat.

You know something i'd love for them to do for an AA game? Have rotating prosecutors each case.

It just feels like the 'new prosecutor of the game' starts out strong in case 2, doesn't really do much case 3, and is strong for the finale due to some personal connections.

Jintor

Need a prosecution team next time around. Seeing only one guy on the bench vs Team Wright is kinda sad.

Even if he does get a totally badass hawk

Bring Robin around to assist!

Oh god, these are definitely my least favourite. Press Statement 3 > Press Statement 4 > Press Statement 3 ughh. I don't think there's been a case where you had to do this and I DIDN'T end up using a guide to figure it out. >.<

I'm also on #TeamPressEveryStatement.

On that note.

I don't know why I clicked this thread, I haven't read anything about this game or any earlier pages, but this post reminded me.

I've downloaded this game but have yet to play it. Are there any really tricky parts like this, or is it mostly presenting evidence?

Like I think there was one part in a game where they were like "who could've done this" and you had to present a person and then they asked "what piece of evidence relates to that person" and you had to present evidence and it was just terrible trying to come up with exactly what they wanted from so many possible combinations.

Anything like that?

They really should turn it around, stop giving such 'hard cases for the lawyers'. Give a case that is seemingly a easy defense, but the genius prosecutor thinks outside of the box forcing you into a corner.

It is a bit disappointing that the prosecutors rarely get to show off their genius stuff when most cases already have everything served to them on a platter (too bad the defense are just super good at bullshitting and the judge is easily impressionable :p).

McNum

I think there's only one spot in the game that people have asked about more than once. Late in case 3.

But you can get a hint if you're stuck in a cross-examination now if you mess up three times. You can then press X to consult your assistant and get the statement that's at fault pointed out for you. I did that once through the game.

FluxWaveZ

They really should turn it around, stop giving such 'hard cases for the lawyers'. Give a case that is seemingly a easy defense, but the genius prosecutor thinks outside of the box forcing you into a corner.

Heh, I was going to say this in the thread shortly after I finished the game, but I decided not to since there are certain times that the prosecution actually does take things in a new direction after being cornered by the defense.

Still, it definitely happens way more to the defense who in any given case are, well, defensive while the prosecution just continually batters all of their arguments down until they think of something completely crazy and/or bluff.

Case 3 spoilers:
It's why I liked the fact that Hugh O'Conner desires to be a defense attorney and Robin Newman wants to be a prosecutor. From series precedent, one would think it'd be the opposite given Hugh's aim to be perfect (and his smug attitude) compared to Robin Newman's emotional outbursts and kind nature.

Fey

Banned
On that note.

I don't know why I clicked this thread, I haven't read anything about this game or any earlier pages, but this post reminded me.

I've downloaded this game but have yet to play it. Are there any really tricky parts like this, or is it mostly presenting evidence?

Like I think there was one part in a game where they were like "who could've done this" and you had to present a person and then they asked "what piece of evidence relates to that person" and you had to present evidence and it was just terrible trying to come up with exactly what they wanted from so many possible combinations.

Anything like that?

The game isn't as tricky as the previous ones. I don't THINK there was anything like the "Who did it?"/"What's the evidence?" stuff happening, either, no.

Top Bottom