• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Okay, just finished case 5 and...
yeah, the ending dragged a bit, and the final form of the last boss was kind of disappointing. And first he gets shot before we learn what he really looks like, which is kind of a cop-out, but then he survives, which is an another cop-out, because we still don't see what he looks like. Yeah, I know that the game is making a point about him being so tied up in his web of lies that he no longer knows what is real himself.

And I also liked the Fool Bright character. Not as much as Gumshoe, but still...

Well, overall I still liked the 4th and 5th cases, but the 3rd one was still the best in this game. The 5th case was the only one where I had to reload because I got punished too much for presenting wrong evidence. I didn't get at first that I had to present the knife before the moon rock shards or stuff related to that.

Biggest problems of the game:
- The game was too easy. Too many hints and too few actual puzzles
- The anime cut scenes were "wrong". The characters weren't acting quite like they were in the game, and the voices were shitty.
- 3 of the 5 cases were directly linked together, so we kept seeing the same characters and places several times.

But still, I found myself playing with a stupid grin on my face and occasionally laughing out loud at the jokes and characters. This happens very rarely with games these days, so I'd say the game was pretty damn good, even if some of the magic of the early ones was lost.

yeah. the new system is much better. It makes it more fun to try out obviously "wrong" options looking for funny dialog.

whats the new system?

i've still been saving during each cross examination and restarting when i mess up. seeing the health bar less than full gets me super edgy for no reason >.>"

Lotto

These anime cutscenes are starting to bring the game down for me. The voice acting in particular is very mediocre. It feels very disconnected from the rest of an otherwise great presentation.

Got through all of Case 3 last night.
Character animations are so damn good. It was pretty obvious to me that Prof. Means was behind all this since all the characters were introduced, especially with all his talk of "ends justifies the means." Still, his reveal was great. Robin being a girl was so wacky that I just knew it had to be that choice when it gave me the option, really liked her character. Hugh also earned some cool points there at the end.

Overall, a really solid case but that
Phoenix Wright statue hiding the body had me laughing just because of how ridiculous it was for Athena to explain to the court how it was possible

Phii

Banned
Im finally done with the game.

Athena is super-cool!
Simon is so aswell!
Case 3 was the best case!
I liked the new feature "Thought Route", it gave each cases a nice perspective.
The OST is fantastic, especially both theme-versions of the Cross-examination - so good!

Overall: Athena is sexy

The one flaw with any ace attorney case is often when you come to a road block during a trial the solution is always to go with the most ridiculous answer as its almost always correct.

Fey

Banned
Im finally done with the game.

Athena is super-cool!
Simon is so aswell!
Case 3 was the best case!
I liked the new feature "Thought Route", it gave each cases a nice perspective.
The OST is fantastic, especially both theme-versions of the Cross-examination - so good!

Overall: Athena is sexy

case 5 spoilers

ch you only say that because Maya wasn't in this.
We all know she inherited a thing (or 2 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) from Mia

Wazzy

Banned
Case 5 so far is crazy. I just met
Edgeworth because of the robots going haywire. Aura is the reason.

I've got a small thought and if it's true I'm gonna go crazy. That
Athena is a robot.
I'm probably just getting ahead of myself and looking into things too much.

This game is so freaking good.

Shouta

Finished. Those last two cases were long. Great but long. Very AAI of it as well.

Overall, right now, personally, I'd go AA5 = AAI2 > AA3 > All the rest.

Shouta

Damn, AAI2 was that good, huh? That fan translation can't finish fast enough.

Some folks don't really agree but eh, I loved AAI2 personally. Strong character development, fantastic characters, strong story with little to no-filler, evolved the investigations & cases by being more than images/items, etc. It widen the scope of the AA universe, so you got to see more of it beyond just the small cases of the PW-focused games. AA4 did that too but a lot of folks draw issue with that game for a number of reasons.

GSR

Some folks don't really agree but eh, I loved AAI2 personally. Strong character development, fantastic characters, strong story with little to no-filler, evolved the investigations & cases by being more than images/items, etc. It widen the scope of the AA universe, so you got to see more of it beyond just the small cases of the PW-focused games. AA4 did that too but a lot of folks draw issue with that game for a number of reasons.

I've noticed with both AAI2 and AA5 that it seems like most people really like them, but there are a few people for whom they just don't click at all. Sometimes it's not even both - I know one person who loved AAI2 and isn't a huge fan of AA5 and someone who hated AAI2 but really, really liked AA5.

Just finished the game, so good.

I heard that the game is making profit for Capcom, so pretty much this will guarantee AA6? :p

Also at the credit,
Pearl mentioned Maya again, so maybe she will come back next game?

Frolow

Banned
Just finished the game, so good.

I heard that the game is making profit for Capcom, so pretty much this will guarantee AA6? :p

Also at the credit,
Pearl mentioned Maya again, so maybe she will come back next game?
That's what everyone is speculating.

Krabboss

I've noticed with both AAI2 and AA5 that it seems like most people really like them, but there are a few people for whom they just don't click at all. Sometimes it's not even both - I know one person who loved AAI2 and isn't a huge fan of AA5 and someone who hated AAI2 but really, really liked AA5.

I've not played AAI2 but I found AAI and AA5 to be very middling. AJ is my favourite of the lot, I think.

Finally got this game on monday. Case 1 was very good, 2 also even though it had the advantage of introducing Blackquill - who is amazing.
Sadly, 3 is kinda meh. The revelations are painfully obvious right from the start and it has a couple of underwhelming characters, not to mention
fucking Klavier.
I mean, it was better than I was expecting from high school crap, but still eeeh...
Beginning of 4 was already great though. Might become my favorite AA game since the first one if they don't drop the ball now, like in the T&T finale.

That's what everyone is praying for.

FTFY

I've not played AAI2 but I found AAI and AA5 to be very middling. AJ is my favourite of the lot, I think.

I don't understand how anyone can say AJ is their favorite game in the series, it has the worst characters, cases, twist, and resolution. The only thing it has going for it is Hobowright and the break down animations. 4-3 alone is arguably the single worst case in the history of the franchise.

4-3 alone is arguably the single worst case in the history of the franchise.
JFA case 3 says "hi!"

Anyway, just finished case 3 of Dual Destinies. Reaaallly solid case, but
I wish they hadn't went with the "comedy" approach for the finale. The case was at its best when it was being somewhat dark, and then the villain and his breakdown were just played for laughs... kind of a shame.
I'm quite impressed with DD so far, as every case has been very good. I hope it keeps up the quality.

JFA case 3 says "hi!"

Anyway, just finished case 3 of Dual Destinies. Reaaallly solid case, but I'm quite impressed with DD so far, as every case has been very good. I hope it keeps up the quality.

Case 3 at least had an interesting villain in
Acro
who is unlike any other villain in the series. It actually was able to get emotion out of me by the end, unlike 4-3 which when I finished all I can think of was "thank god this stupid stupid case is over"

Andrew J.

Just beat the game. Definitely one of my favorites in the series.

It did feel easier than previous entries; I didn't get stuck and have to look up what to do next nearly as much as normal. >.>

(Case 4 and AA3 spoilers)
That ending actually made me mad. Like, I had the same feeling as when I realized what Luke Atmey was up to.

AA6 needs to have a rival firm with lawyers who dress in orange, green, and purple.

I'm sorry but Wesley Stickler remains the most annoying witness ever.

Which is a reason why 4-2 was an awful case

Apollo Justice should have just ended at 4-1, only great case that game has

What's wrong with the Guitar's Serenade? I like it quite a bit, and I get the impression that at the very least Japanese players like it, since it keeps getting referenced and even had a vocal performance.

It was slow, boring, and you had to watch it like 10 times to find contradictions and play with those stupid audio sliders.

The only other case to have a video was 1-5 and at least the first time you saw that it was instantly hilarious and was enjoyable to find contradictions with.

Frolow

Banned
I don't understand how anyone can say AJ is their favorite game in the series, it has the worst characters, cases, twist, and resolution. The only thing it has going for it is Hobowright and the break down animations. 4-3 alone is arguably the single worst case in the history of the franchise.
I dunno. I greatly enjoyed the main plot about
Troupe Gramarye, Phoenix's Disbarment, and Kristoph/Klavier.
It's far from my favorite game in the series, but the game is certainly not horrible like some make it out to be.

I dunno. I greatly enjoyed the main plot about
It's far from my favorite game in the series, but the game is certainly not horrible like some make it out to be.

The I AM A JERK comic pretty much explains everything that's wrong with the
Troupe story line and disbarment story line

Also I like how in AJ Hobowright was basically a court ninja who was always like 3 steps ahead of everyone, yet he regains his badge in AA5 and is pretty much back to the same old Wright he was in 1-3 just older.

daripad

So How much left until I finish the game?

Case 5 huge spoilers
WTF Apollo blaming Athena? WTF? I'm at that save point. I guess this is just a one day trial, right?

Fey

Banned
The I AM A JERK comic pretty much explains everything that's wrong with the
Troupe story line and disbarment story line

Also I like how in AJ Hobowright was basically a court ninja who was always like 3 steps ahead of everyone, yet he regains his badge in AA5 and is pretty much back to the same old Wright he was in 1-3 just older.

Do you have a link to this comic?

wonzo

Banned
Case 2 may have dragged on for way too long but
piecing together all the little bits of evidence at the end and confirming my suspicions w/r/t the dude's hair colour
was one of the most satisfying things ever. sogood

daripad

WHAT THE FUCK?

WHAT? WHAT? WHAAAAAATT??!!!

HUGE CASE 5 SPOILER
Fulbright is the phantom? WHAT? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME! WHAT THE FUCK? WHAT? HOW?

OH MY GOD. I LIVE THIS GAME!

Top Bottom