• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Brashnir

Doh, but I mean they're more obvious in this game for some reason :>

All 3DS games are jaggy messes - you're just now realizing it for some reason. I mean, you said you didn't notice it in Pokemon - I don't see how that's possible.

DuY0AkU.jpg

Dawg

That image artifact is called dithering. It's present on all Capcom 3DS games for some reason.

I think this is the real issue here, not the actual pixels.

Of course, Pokémon is jaggy as fuck... but that's not what I'm seeing in AA5 :p

Wazzy

Banned
What a great game. Finished last night and I'm now craving a new one already. I can't wait till the DLC comes out.

demidar

All 3DS games are jaggy messes - you're just now realizing it for some reason. I mean, you said you didn't notice it in Pokemon - I don't see how that's possible.

DuY0AkU.jpg

I wish the 3DS's top screen has a higher resolution, because when you can see the pixels you start seeing the ones where a pixel is a completely different colour between the two eyes and you get this sorta, z-fighting in your brain.

PK Gaming

Minor plot inconsistency in case 3?

After the killer used his staff to kill the victim, he used it to arrange the body in a way that made it look like the Wright statue that was hidden under the cloth. My question: Why did Means have his staff on him when Wright and CO talked to him at the beginning of the school fair? The only time he could have gotten his staff back was during the mock trial, which was after he talked to Wright and friends, but he's clearly seen carrying it before that time.

I thought about the possibility of a second staff, but if that was the case, why did he keep the staff used in the murder, over this 2nd staff? I also thought about him going back to school early in the morning and retrieving the staff and replacing it another "poll" like object, but it seems unlikely.

Frolow

Banned
Minor plot inconsistency in case 3?

After the killer used his staff to kill the victim, he used it to arrange the body in a way that made it look like the Wright statue that was hidden under the cloth. My question: Why did Means have his staff on him when Wright and CO talked to him at the beginning of the school fair? The only time he could have gotten his staff back was during the mock trial, which was after he talked to Wright and friends, but he's clearly seen carrying it before that time.

I thought about the possibility of a second staff, but if that was the case, why did he keep the staff used in the murder, over this 2nd staff? I also thought about him going back to school early in the morning and retrieving the staff and replacing it another "poll" like object, but it seems unlikely.

That's actually a bug exclusive to the English release. In the Japanese version when you first meet Means, he doesn't have his staff.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I feel like I'm getting too distracted by the poor translation in some parts, especially toward the end of case 2— aside from the spelling errors, a lot of things could have been explained in much clearer ways, basically.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Case 5

AKOSZOKQMWNSJSUDHA

SKODJWIDNROW DODMEAP!!!

That came out of nowhere, GG capcom, that was one hell of a plot twist

welp, fuck case 4.
You couldn't put this minimal trial straight into the next case? Now I just feel robbed of an episode.
:[

It is basically case 4 and 5 from AA3,
a really big case split into two episodes. It is not a bad thing, especially since it spruces things up and keeps the player on their toes.

you might not want to play ace attorney 3

I don't remember much about AA3, but weren't those
mini cases at least self contained flashbacks? Not to mention they had a purpose iirc.
Now case 4 in here didn't.
The only revelation it had was the chamber switch, which is obvious as fuck in the very second the function is revealed the first time. Other than that, it can't even be considered part 1-, nor an introduction for the next one, considering there were less developments than even in any tutorial case. At best it was preview, or a sneak peek.
Seriously, WTF was this? Worst ''case'' in the series, easily.

mini cases at least self contained flashbacks? Not to mention they had a purpose iirc.
The only revelation it had was the chamber switch, which is obvious as fuck in the very second the function is revealed the first time. Other than that, it can't even be considered part 1-, nor an introduction for the next one, considering there were less developments than even in any tutorial case. At best it was preview, or a sneak peek.

yup, it was a flashback to a totally different case that pertained to the next one

i guess the logic behind it is that case 4 ends when starbuck is acquitted and thereby his trial is over, but i agree that it's odd to do when case 4 is basically a part of case 5, and the split point isn't even where there's a lapse in time following the bombing

I feel like I'm getting too distracted by the poor translation in some parts, especially toward the end of case 2— aside from the spelling errors, a lot of things could have been explained in much clearer ways, basically.

I noticed a lot more typos and grammatical errors in the first 2 cases than I did in the rest of the game. Though maybe that's just because the last 3 cases are so gripping.

I have just started the third case and it will probably be one of my least favorite in the series...

The two male students are annoying, and Gavier or whatever his name is, is back. I hate him.

I have just started the third case and it will probably be one of my least favorite in the series...

The two male students are annoying, and Gavier or whatever his name is, is back. I hate him.

Don't worry.

Klavier isn't in it much and the male characters get better as the case progresses. I absolutely HATED Robin but he gets better

Plus case 3 has the best witness in Ace Attorney to date.

It feels like my battery drains out way too quickly when I play this game but I'm sure it's just me not being aware of the hours I spend on each session. Case 4 has been sogood.gif so far...I really love this game.

Ehhh...well, keep playing. It is definitely the best of the first three cases in my book.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I felt like this too, but case 3 is pretty amazing. Interested to see what you think of it in the end.

Fey

Banned

I agree with you tbh. [AA3 and case 4/5]
Such a waste of a case. It's pretty much Case 5. And I don't agree with the comparisons to Case 4 and 5 in AA3 at all. 3-4 was actually its own case, and had somewhat of a resolution at the end. 3-4 was CONNECTED to the final case, but case 5-4 literally WAS the final case.

R.I.P

GAAAAAAH CASE 5 INVESTIGATION DAY 1
EVERYTHING IS HAPPENIIIIING AND I CAAAAAN'T TAAAAAAKEEE IIIIIIIIITTT
SOOOOOO GOOOOOOODDD

NotLiquid

I don't really think much of dividing Case 4/5 honestly because thematically and backstory-wise they generally deal with pretty different things,
and Case 4 also had to squeeze in the prequel to Case 1, so the two cases are already juggling a ton of things at once.
1-5 is probably the only case that tried doing something similar to what 4/5 is doing in this game, but even in that case the split between what the case was about wasn't as balanced.

That and to be honest, combining them wouldn't make that much of a difference. I can't say I felt "robbed" as most Ace Attorney games only have four cases. It still feels solid and progressive.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I would love to see Luke Atmey and Florent L'Belle have a conversation over a cup of tea together.

That and to be honest, combining them wouldn't make that much of a difference. I can't say I felt "robbed" as most Ace Attorney games only have four cases. It still feels solid and progressive.

Two out of seven games is most? Even if you want to count the GBA version of the first game, four case games are a minority at this point.

zruben

Banned
well, I'm still taking it slow.
Just finished case 2... it was kinda farfetched, and I felt that the game spilled all the secrets and I didn't have to uncover anything.

also, the final piece of evidence was very weak.
I can't believe they didn't perform a DNA test earlier in the investigation

I'm still not sure if I LOVE this game, will it get better, GAF?...

Frolow

Banned
So what does everyone think of Fulbright as the new detective? I thought he was pretty good. Wasn't as charming as Gumshoe was, but he certainly had own his quirks.

zruben

Banned
It will. Case 2 & 1 are the worst ever. Case 3,4 & 5 are the best ever.

Much, much better.

excellent, I played a little of case 3, but as soon as
Klavier
showed up I rolled my eyes and turned it off...

great to know it will get better, I'll continue tonight, even with
Klavier
there.

sorry, I can't stand him or his musical theme.

So what does everyone think of Fulbright as the new detective? I thought he was pretty good. Wasn't as charming as Gumshoe was, but he certainly had own his quirks.

I think it's really interesting that they decide to use an "unidimensional character" for the detective role... it causes some really great interactions.

"The
two male students
are annoying"

Don't worry (not a spoiler for you) -
"The two male students"
get much better. :)

case 3 lol.

started out strong, middle was a bit meh, than ending was lols.

Only gripe i have is when
cross examining means and the only way to progress was to admit yes that he couldn't have been somewhere else.
was stuck here for like 30min >.>"

This case alone redeems the series going 3d models.

Stop teasing random shit at the end of each eps though!!!! On to case 4!

Moonlight

Banned
So, fuller thoughts on Case 4. I liked it, didn't love it. As a case it was probably the weakest thus far - pretty straightforward, all in all. Only one investigation, and
only one actual witness
. Context is everything, though, and it's rather apparent as the case barrels into its' ending that it's essentially a glorified prelude. And for that, well, it was pretty impressive.

Took a while, but I guess we're finally back in
Phoenix's head. Have to say that as much as I liked Athena and returning to Apollo (and after the tease that was the second half of Case 1), it's pretty nice to... well, be Phoenix again. And I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I really dig how he's been characterized - definitely way more on top of things than he ever was in AA1-3. Maybe not quite the ridiculous savant that he was in AA4, but his growth is definitely fairly palpable, particularly in his interactions with the rest of the agency. Or... Athena, I guess. Given how events play out. Love the mentor angle a lot, and they've done pretty well to move Phoenix past 'heroic loser' without losing sight of those roots. And on that note, I felt like I held the upper hand in that case way more than I ever did the past two.
Which I'm pretty mixed on, because a part of me appreciates that and a part of me can't help but feel a bit dissatisfied.

This game really does seem to have some of the absolute best witnesses I've ever seen in an Ace Attorney game, though. After the glory of Myriam Scuttlebutt, I was pretty well convinced that she was about the best the game could have to offer in that regard, but when Yuri Cosmos was introduced... holy shit, I was absolutely enamored. He was fucking amazing. His music, his animations, his dialogue, just... insanely memorable. Was
afraid that he was gonna be the killer, but thankfully it wasn't quite that simple. That said, his breakdown was still pretty great. I'd put it over L'Belle's, but not Tonate's or Means's.

And I really do think that Fulbright is a seriously great character. I mean, I liked him before, but this case really brought it home for me. To elaborate, as fond as I was of Gumshoe and Ema, I think Fulbright works so well because he feels like a reaction to them. Gumshoe is a bit glum and ever down on his luck, Ema is bitter and jaded, but Fulbright is enthusiastic, he's passionate, he's got a strongly defined sense of, well, justice - further juxtaposed against the 'dark age of the law' theme that hangs over the game. Plus, he's actually got the motivation to sincerely follow through on his sense of justice -
this comes to a head (and what seriously elevated the character to me) with his moral dilemma given Blackquill's personal investment in the case and moreover the fact that he actually stands up to Blackquill (for his own good!) near the end, goddamn
. All in all, really superb addition to the cast. Wouldn't be disappointed if he came back for the next game.

Speaking of the end, that was just... goddamn. Goddamn. I was a little 'wait, what' after
that sudden 'decisive evidence to the rescue' and subsequent NOT GUILTY verdict
but then I was so very 'WAIT, WHAT' upon everything that followed. That was well damn played.

Aura is pretty awesome, although weird that she was
mentioned to be a witness (might have even been key witness but I don't remember clearly) and she never got called up to bat. I imagine that will come up again in Case 5.

At the very least, if I was a bit let down that you didn't wind up
shocking Blackquill much last case
, this case more than made up for it.

All in all, I guess I'd say that this was probably the weakest case in the game, taken on its' own merits. Starbuck wasn't a wholly inspiring defendant (ironically) and, especially on the heels of Case 3, I never really felt challenged by what it was throwing at me. Also, while I do like the Mood Matrix stuff, way too much of that was happening in the case. Still, fun ride like usual.

Finished Case 4.

WHAT? Seriously, what?

I would have never in a million years have expected that.
I knew that whoever the prints belonged to was going to be a surprise, but I didn't think there was any shot of it being Athena. One of the most what the hell moments of any Ace Attorney game.

That moment certainly elevated the case a lot. I had been pretty far off base in my thoughts throughout most of the case, especially because I was completely convinced that
Yuri Cosmos was the killer. It just seemed so obvious, and I was pretty certain of it right until the Mood Matrix portion of the trial. Then everything got flipped on its head.

Starting out Case 5, and I'm really excited to see where everything goes. I can't even imagine what that will be.

Top Bottom