• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Frolow

Banned
The I AM A JERK comic pretty much explains everything that's wrong with the
Troupe story line and disbarment story line

Not really.

It's not Zak's fault Thalassa left Apollo when she rejoined the trope. Her presumed death was a freak accident so you can't really blame anyone for that.

Zak couldn't bring it to himself to kill Magnifi and shot the doll instead, that's why he got the rights. Valant was the one who tried to frame Zak for Magnifi's death since he was upset he didn't get the rights.

Zak prided himself on his ability to read people and thought the best way to choose his Defense attorney was via poker. That's why he chose Phoenix instead of Kristoph to defend him. Hey, whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Zak only wanted to go through with his escape plan if everything went south, which it did due to Kristoph being incredibly petty and having already paid for the forgery. He had no clue about Kristoph's plan and so it wasn't his fault that Phoenix got disbarred

I concede that what Zak did in 4-1 was incredibly dickish. However, almost everything else in the comic wasn't Zak's fault due to him being a "jerk"

Leeness

Lol awwwwww.

Case 3, end of Trial Day 1

Such true friendship ;_; all confessing for the other! Throwing pottery and shooting arrows in court.

Edit: Hahahaha oh god those Zak Gramyere is a Jerk comics are so good! I remember when she was doing all of those.

"Daddy can we go out for ice cream after?"
"Well sure, I can go for ice cream...
BUT YOU'RE NOT COMING :D"

PS. But you'll never know the love of a real father.

D:

PK Gaming

Also I like how in AJ Hobowright was basically a court ninja who was always like 3 steps ahead of everyone, yet he regains his badge in AA5 and is pretty much back to the same old Wright he was in 1-3 just older.
I disagree.

AA5 Wright is wiser, cooler and more composed than AA1-3 Wright. His characterization in this game is more inline with Apollo Justice than regular Ace Attorney.

Finished with Case 3. That was such a strong case all along.
I figured that Means was the killer early on, but a lot of those details towards the end were pretty crazy. I would have never guessed how the body was actually hidden ahead of time.

The cast for Case 3 were all great, and I really liked the final scenes of the wrap up.

Now I'm in Case 4, and immediately surprised at
the lack of a guest prosecutor. Whatever happened to tradition? Still, it seems like this will be a pretty important case, and I'm interested to see where everything goes, even though the defendant seems kind of annoying.

Frolow

Banned
Finished with Case 3. That was such a strong case all along.
I figured that Means was the killer early on, but a lot of those details towards the end were pretty crazy. I would have never guessed how the body was actually hidden ahead of time.

The cast for Case 3 were all great, and I really liked the final scenes of the wrap up.

Now I'm in Case 4, and immediately surprised at
the lack of a guest prosecutor. Whatever happened to tradition? Still, it seems like this will be a pretty important case, and I'm interested to see where everything goes, even though the defendant seems kind of annoying.

Not a fan of
Space Larry?

Krabboss

Not really? It's all greatly exaggerated and some of it is just inaccurate. There's some dumb shit in AJ
like how nobody notices the gunshots in the hospital when old man Gramarye gets killed
, but stuff like that has been in every Ace Attorney game ever. Every single game in the series has some suck-ass writing in it (including 5, which doesn't really cut it out until case 4). It's a bummer, but you gotta take the good with the bad.

Now, to claim 4-3 is anywhere near as bad as the garbage in AA2 is just some straight-up goofballing. 4-3 has some wonky writing in it, but it's hardly bad. I also never realised people were bothered by the video until now.

I disagree.

AA5 Wright is wiser, cooler and more composed than AA1-3 Wright. His characterization in this game is more inline with Apollo Justice than regular Ace Attorney.

Sort of, but it's still a bummer with how often the three attorneys do their "UWAAAAA?!!?!" face. AJ Wright was one cool cucumber.

Guessing 2015.

Hopefully sometime next year.

They said they want to make it.

Probably next month.

Not soon enough on any account QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

I can still remember the first day I played each game, and where I was when the OMG twist in 1-4, 2-4, 3-5, and 4-1 first happened to me. Same now for 5-4/5-5

Series is too gooooood!

rekameohs

Banned
AA4 Comics

These comics remind me why I really did not like the villain of AA4.
He did despicable things, and that's always a good thing for a villain, but it seems like his sole motive was petty jealousy of Phoenix Wright, which was pretty lame in my opinion.
When talking about villains who were pure evil, I much prefer the final case of AA1 and 2's, and the main villain of AA3 takes the cake.

CrazyDude

He did despicable things, and that's always a good thing for a villain, but it seems like his sole motive was petty jealousy of Phoenix Wright, which was pretty lame in my opinion.
When talking about villains who were pure evil, I much prefer the final case of AA1 and 2's, and the main villain of AA3 takes the cake.
Petty jealously is a pretty believable motive. Many crimes are caused from jealousy.

I'd love for
Dahlia
to make an appearance again...

rekameohs

Banned
Petty jealously is a pretty believable motive. Many crimes are caused from jealousy.

Yeah, but Ace Attorney isn't about the "many crimes" angle. It's about wacky crime scenarios and eccentric villains.
Take the main villain of AA3, for example.
A vengeful ghost coming back from the dead solely to ruin the lives of the ones who brought her down? There's a motive that you don't see in "many crimes".
Back to AA4 spoilers.
I'm just saying that for such a major antagonist, I was hoping for something a little more exciting to be swimming in Kristoph's brain than "he's a better attorney/poker player than me!" :mad:

Frolow

Banned

I asked the very same question in the community thread and this was one of the responses I got:

I admit I haven't replayed the game yet, but just from the games I have played, AA4 spoilers
Kristoph needed to stop Phoenix no matter the cost. Think about what Phoenix had done in the 3 years he was an Attorney: Unhorsed Manfred von Karma, the Prosecuting Legend, as well as his disciples Miles Edgeworth and Franziska, unmasked Godot, arrested the Police Chief and Chief Prosecutor, completely unraveling both organizations, and revived the political power of the Kurain Religion. In 3 years he had caused a serious amount of upheaval in the whole justice world, and defended each of his clients to a complete acquittal against unbelievable odds. Why would anyone hire Kristoph Gavin if Phoenix Wright was still around? Phoenix just kept getting bigger and bigger, and when Zak rejects Gavin in favor of Wright, Kristoph probably realized that he would always lose to Phoenix. So he gets him disbarred.

And then Phoenix completely revolutionizes the legal system of the country. In spite of being a goof and constant underdog, Phoenix Wright sort of is a titan when you get down to it. For Kristoph Gavin Phoenix would be very bad for business.

daripad

Just finished the game and I live the final case. Definitly the best one ever. This could have been my favorite AA game if it wasn't because the first two cases were really boring. 3 was a great case and 4 & 5 closed this game with a big punch.

My ranking so far is:

AA3 > AA5 > AA1 > AA2

I haven't played AJ and the AAI games so now I need to track them down (except AAI2 which I can't play).

Now let's go to the Spoiler thread, finally!

Is the third trial case "wacky" than the second one? I'm finding this wacky even for Phoenix Wright. Certainly just as loony things have happen in past entries, but it just seems different in this case lol

Is the third trial case "wacky" than the second one? I'm finding this wacky even for Phoenix Wright. Certainly just as loony things have happen in past entries, but it just seems different in this case lol

Not in PW terms, no. The killer is kind of a twist but the facts of the case aren't as wild as some of the other ones.

Frolow

Banned

Case 2 was definitely the "wackiest" out of all the cases. Although judging from the concept for the DLC case, that one might outdo it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Also I like how in AJ Hobowright was basically a court ninja who was always like 3 steps ahead of everyone, yet he regains his badge in AA5 and is pretty much back to the same old Wright he was in 1-3 just older.

Not to forget it was also implied he was helping Fransika with cases in Europe while disbarred.

rekameohs

Banned
I asked the very same question in the community thread and this was one of the responses I got:

Alright. I can understand this. Perhaps the black psyche-locks would've hidden some of that anger. I think it's just something that wasn't executed as well as it could've been. I think Kristoph should've shown some of that hatred in the final confrontation with him, instead the very abrupt ending we got, with "scary face on hand -> no evidence -> just kidding, jury -> WRRRIIIIIIIGHHHHT" happening in very quick succession. The final trial session of AA1 Case 5 was a very good length of a final confrontation, in my opinion - AA4's being the example of a little too bare-bones, and AAI's being the example of way too fucking long.

I wonder if it can top 3-2.

Everything I've heard about the DLC case is that it takes the wackiness to a whole new level.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think the wacky factor just feels especially up partially due to Blackquill. The entire idea behind him is so fucking weird, lol.

But yeah, case 2 was definitely on a different level than usual.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Why never? The fan translation team has already completed the first 2 cases and are currently working on the rest.

See, the thing is, I am pretty sure the text for the first two cases is likely less then the text for any other single case, if pasts games are anything to go by. But development doesn't seem to have stalled, so maybe it will finish eventually.

Frolow

Banned
See, the thing is, I am pretty sure the text for the first two cases is likely less then the text for any other single case, if pasts games are anything to go by. But development doesn't seem to have stalled, so maybe it will finish eventually.

The actual translation work is done. The team is just having some problems getting the text into the game itself due to some issue with the RAM.

demidar

The cases should be built to not only misdirect the characters in the game, but the player as well using their metagame knowledge and genre savviness against them.

Dawg

Am I going crazy or does the top screen in AA5 consist of these tiny squares/cubes? It's more noticeable on a black text layer like the one in this pic:

Dual-Destinies-Judge.jpg

Top Bottom