• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

I can't be the only one who thought this damn thief step maneuver was funniest shit for no reason at all. I laughed every time I saw it and can't explain myself. How in the hell do you
steal the shoes off of someone who is still walking around in them!? A detective no less!?
KuGsj.gif

Nyoro SF

I can't be the only one who thought this damn thief step maneuver was funniest shit for no reason at all. I laughed every time I saw it and can't explain myself. How in the hell do you
steal the shoes off of someone who is still walking around in them!? A detective no less!?
KuGsj.gif

Yeah that guy had the best animations in the game hands down.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I also just finished case 4.

The fuck is happening. The stars are aligning for case 5 to be insane.

KuGsj.gif

wonder if his gramps ever
fought with Yatagarasu.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
So, fuller thoughts on Case 4. I liked it, didn't love it. As a case it was probably the weakest thus far - pretty straightforward, all in all. Only one investigation, and
only one actual witness
. Context is everything, though, and it's rather apparent as the case barrels into its' ending that it's essentially a glorified prelude. And for that, well, it was pretty impressive.

Took a while, but I guess we're finally back in
Phoenix's head. Have to say that as much as I liked Athena and returning to Apollo (and after the tease that was the second half of Case 1), it's pretty nice to... well, be Phoenix again. And I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I really dig how he's been characterized - definitely way more on top of things than he ever was in AA1-3. Maybe not quite the ridiculous savant that he was in AA4, but his growth is definitely fairly palpable, particularly in his interactions with the rest of the agency. Or... Athena, I guess. Given how events play out. Love the mentor angle a lot, and they've done pretty well to move Phoenix past 'heroic loser' without losing sight of those roots. And on that note, I felt like I held the upper hand in that case way more than I ever did the past two.
Which I'm pretty mixed on, because a part of me appreciates that and a part of me can't help but feel a bit dissatisfied.

This game really does seem to have some of the absolute best witnesses I've ever seen in an Ace Attorney game, though. After the glory of Myriam Scuttlebutt, I was pretty well convinced that she was about the best the game could have to offer in that regard, but when Yuri Cosmos was introduced... holy shit, I was absolutely enamored. He was fucking amazing. His music, his animations, his dialogue, just... insanely memorable. Was
afraid that he was gonna be the killer, but thankfully it wasn't quite that simple. That said, his breakdown was still pretty great. I'd put it over L'Belle's, but not Tonate's or Means's.

And I really do think that Fulbright is a seriously great character. I mean, I liked him before, but this case really brought it home for me. To elaborate, as fond as I was of Gumshoe and Ema, I think Fulbright works so well because he feels like a reaction to them. Gumshoe is a bit glum and ever down on his luck, Ema is bitter and jaded, but Fulbright is enthusiastic, he's passionate, he's got a strongly defined sense of, well, justice - further juxtaposed against the 'dark age of the law' theme that hangs over the game. Plus, he's actually got the motivation to sincerely follow through on his sense of justice -
this comes to a head (and what seriously elevated the character to me) with his moral dilemma given Blackquill's personal investment in the case and moreover the fact that he actually stands up to Blackquill (for his own good!) near the end, goddamn
. All in all, really superb addition to the cast. Wouldn't be disappointed if he came back for the next game.

Speaking of the end, that was just... goddamn. Goddamn. I was a little 'wait, what' after
that sudden 'decisive evidence to the rescue' and subsequent NOT GUILTY verdict
but then I was so very 'WAIT, WHAT' upon everything that followed. That was well damn played.

Aura is pretty awesome, although weird that she was
mentioned to be a witness (might have even been key witness but I don't remember clearly) and she never got called up to bat. I imagine that will come up again in Case 5.

At the very least, if I was a bit let down that you didn't wind up
shocking Blackquill much last case
, this case more than made up for it.

All in all, I guess I'd say that this was probably the weakest case in the game, taken on its' own merits. Starbuck wasn't a wholly inspiring defendant (ironically) and, especially on the heels of Case 3, I never really felt challenged by what it was throwing at me. Also, while I do like the Mood Matrix stuff, way too much of that was happening in the case. Still, fun ride like usual.

I really, really want to read your impressions after you finish the game. REALLY.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So what does everyone think of Fulbright as the new detective? I thought he was pretty good. Wasn't as charming as Gumshoe was, but he certainly had own his quirks.
I actually came in here to express how unimpressed I am by Fulbright compared to Gumshoe— his quirks and zaniness are too unrestrained... It gets tiring after a while, even by the series' standards. I don't absolutely hate him though. (Case 2, btw. He might show a lot of improvement going onwards)

I actually came in here to express how unimpressed I am by Fulbright compared to Gumshoe— his quirks and zaniness are too unrestrained... It gets tiring after a while, even by the series' standards. I don't absolutely hate him though. (Case 2, btw. He might show a lot of improvement going onwards)

I'm with you. Well, I think he is terrible compared to Gumshoe lol. His theme isn't nearly as good either, so I'm hardly ever actually to see him because I have to listen to his music.

Leeness

I like Fulbright a lot! I was grinning in case 3 when you first see him on day 2 investigation. I don't know why but that made me smile.

:)

I'm also enjoying Blackquill calling him Fool Bright and the electric shock thing haha.

abrack08

Man I predicted Case 3 pretty early... not that there weren't still plenty of surprises throughout.

Earlier today I accidentally went into the spoiler thread instead of this one. First post I saw, huge spoiler (obvioulsy, it was the spoiler thread after all). I'm pretty mad at myself, though the fact that they both have titles referencing the M rating didn't help.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Man I predicted Case 3 pretty early... not that there weren't still plenty of surprises throughout.

Earlier today I accidentally went into the spoiler thread instead of this one. First post I saw, huge spoiler (obvioulsy, it was the spoiler thread after all). I'm pretty mad at myself, though the fact that they both have titles referencing the M rating didn't help.

Case 3 is easily my favorite case because it has the best case characters and plot twists.

I mean, seeing the "serious version" of an initially weak character does make this person much more likable. Also it did have a cool baddie that is closer to what normally is the game finale villain.

Draxal

This is the best version of Gumshoe's theme, IMO. AAI and AAI2's music were really good to boot.

I liked AAI's music alot (I loved it's version of announce the truth and Tyrell Badd's theme), but Gumshoe's theme from the original fits so much with the murder scenes that he shows up at (and how somber he is at those scenes). The AAI one is way to upbeat.

BorkBork

I liked AAI's music alot (I loved it's version of announce the truth and Tyrell Badd's theme), but Gumshoe's theme from the original fits so much with the murder scenes that he shows up at (and how somber he is at those scenes). The AAI one is way to upbeat.

I think they both fit Gumshoe in their respective context. The first fits a reluctant detective being hassled by a defense lawyer. The Investigations version fits a loyal detective working happily for his boss.

Moonlight

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbBPwPq7x3k

If this isn't your favorite track in all of Ace Attorney, there's something wrong.
Here comes a new challenger.

Also, update on where I'm at with Case 5. Just
got that Maya letter. Goddammit, what a tease. Definitely much more substantive than what we got in AA4, but man. I will flip a table if she's not back in all her glory for AA6.

On a similar, but happier note:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
PEARLYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

demidar

I think they both fit Gumshoe in their respective context. The first fits a reluctant detective being hassled by a defense lawyer. The Investigations version fits a loyal detective working happily for his boss.

Happily? Edgeworth's second job is finding ways to dock Gumshoe's pay.

Draxal

Here comes a new challenger.

Also, update on where I'm at with Case 5. Just
got that Maya letter. Goddammit, what a tease. Definitely much more substantive than what we got in AA4, but man. I will flip a table if she's not back in all her glory for AA6.

On a similar, but happier note:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
PEARLYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

That and the Mood Matrix songs were the 2 best songs in the game. While the Mood Matrix might have been flimsy gameplay wise, and the thought route incredibly easy ... their songs made it so I didn't care.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Don't worry, it gets much B-E-T-T-E-R!

Yeah but I can't believe how much (Case 2 spoilers)
That case got flipped on its head... At times it became rather difficult to follow. Also, I didn't like how the deflection of the murder accusation away from Tenma came down to his admission of being the amazing 9 tails. Because even if he wasn't the 9 tails, he'd have incentive to admit to being the 9 tails.

L'Belle is one slimy bastard, btw, At first I assumed the way they were going was going to have him be hiding in the chamber while jinxie stumbled upon the scene.

Link1110

Just finished case 1. The detonator hinting at someone else being involved reminds me a bit of AAI. I can't wait for this twist, I'm fighting with myself not to spoil it.

Listening to the soundtrack, phantom's theme is great. Makes me wish Iwadare still composed for RPGs.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I've done that twice but luckily haven't seen anything. But yeah, it bugs me when spoiler threads have similar titles since it just catches your eye when scrolling down a page.

rekameohs

Banned
Well, I finished it. Fantastic ending and a really emotional final case. Game seemed a little short for an Ace Attorney game, but was really well-designed and had great payoff.

I think it's safe to say that this game joined the original Phoenix Wright and Trials and Tribulations as the clear cream of the crop when it comes to this series. Something about those odd-numbered games!

Tizoc

Fulbright, is IMO, one of my fav. characters in the game.
...but Gumshoe>Fulbright, and Gumshoe should make a return in the next AA game even if it's just for one case/Turnabout!

BorkBork

Well, I finished it. Fantastic ending and a really emotional final case. Game seemed a little short for an Ace Attorney game, but was really well-designed and had great payoff.

Congrats. Come on over to the spoiler thread for punch and cake.

I think the streamlining probably helped cut down on time. We all probably spent a bit of time wandering around pixel hunting in previous games. Still clocked in at a good 20 hours for me.

I think it's safe to say that this game joined the original Phoenix Wright and Trials and Tribulations as the clear cream of the crop when it comes to this series. Something about those odd-numbered games!

It's like the reverse of the Star Trek movie curse.

Top Bottom