• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
At the very least, I am happy that Noriyuki Iwadare has settled down as the main series composer.

-Ace Attorney 3/GS3
-Ace Attorney Investigations/GK1
-Ace Attorney Investigations 2/GK2
-Ace Attorney 5/GS5

His only non AA game so far was AA1, AA2, and AA4 which mean he has officially composed a majority of the mainline soundtracks. Iwadare also seems to be a very passionate fan of the games, since during his off time he was replaying GS5 in Japan Expo USA.

Ace Attorney 5 easily has one of the best soundtracks in the series and if that isn't enough reason to have him do work for Ace Attorney 6/Gyakuten Saiban 6 I don't know what is.

Well, I finished it. Fantastic ending and a really emotional final case. Game seemed a little short for an Ace Attorney game, but was really well-designed and had great payoff.

I think it's safe to say that this game joined the original Phoenix Wright and Trials and Tribulations as the clear cream of the crop when it comes to this series. Something about those odd-numbered games!

I hope that doesn't mean that AA6/GS6 will be a turkey :p

rekameohs

Banned
Oh yeah, and I could do without the anime cutscenes next time. The story was served well enough in the previous games without the need of (poorly acted) animated sequences. It was a nice idea, but I think the money spent on that could be better used elsewhere.

Fake spoiler
Like some better proofreaders! :p

Tizoc

Oh yeah, and I could do without the anime cutscenes next time. The story was served well enough in the previous games without the need of (poorly acted) animated sequences.

Agreed, the anime cutscenes were just...meh. Only the first one was good if only because it has Phoenix being back in the game.
I can't be the only one who yelled 'HE'S BACK, BITCHES!' when he left the office, right?

spiritfox

Congrats. Come on over to the spoiler thread for punch and cake.

I think the streamlining probably helped cut down on time. We all probably spent a bit of time wandering around pixel hunting in previous games. Still clocked in at a good 20 hours for me.

It's like the reverse of the Star Trek movie curse.

Does it mean AA6 would suck? =(

Hcoregamer00

Agreed, the anime cutscenes were just...meh. Only the first one was good if only because it has Phoenix being back in the game.
I can't be the only one who yelled 'HE'S BACK, BITCHES!' when he left the office, right?

The opening cutscene for Case 3 and Case 5 were also really really good, along with the
Dramatic opening for the battle with Edgeworth for the first time in 8 years

Tizoc

Well AAI2 is said to be better than the first =P

IMO AA2 is good even though it's one of my lowest ranked games in the series.
Speaking of which, my ranking for the games so far is:
AAI1, AA1, AA3, AA5
AA2
AA4

I wish AA4 didn't end up the way it was with Hobo Phoenix and him losing his attorney badge like that.
If they worked Phoenix into the game differntly, I would've ranked it along with AA2, due to music, characters and the graphics at least.

rekameohs

Banned
The opening cutscene for Case 3 and Case 5 were also really really good, along with the
Dramatic opening for the battle with Edgeworth for the first time in 8 years

I'm just feeling that some big emotional moments in previous games, like *AA3 spoilers*
Terry Fawles' death could be ruined by poor acting in an animated scream.
There's a certain character who screams in a cutscene in AA5, and if that same level of acting happened in the AA3 scene, I don't think it would have the same gravity that the scene has as is.

And I just checked Activity Log: said 21 hours, 56 minutes. Length is still very long, though the streamlined investigations probably sped things up ever so slightly.

Yeah, I was just joking about the numbering. AAI2 is far better than the first AAI, so I don't think there's much to worry about! I'll be curious to see Takumi's next mainline game, since it's been a while and I'm honestly not excited at all for the Layton crossover.

spiritfox

Well AAI2 is said to be better than the first =P

IMO AA2 is good even though it's one of my lowest ranked games in the series.
Speaking of which, my ranking for the games so far is:
AAI1, AA1, AA3, AA5
AA2
AA4

I wish AA4 didn't end up the way it was with Hobo Phoenix and him losing his attorney badge like that.
If they worked Phoenix into the game differntly, I would've ranked it along with AA2, due to music, characters and the graphics at least.

Well AA4 didn't even had Wright in the first place. Takumi was forced to add him since he was so popular. Maybe if it was a different character he wouldn't have been so forefront in the game, and Apollo might have more space to grow.

Hcoregamer00

Well AA4 didn't even had Wright in the first place. Takumi was forced to add him since he was so popular. Maybe if it was a different character he wouldn't have been so forefront in the game, and Apollo might have more space to grow.

Yeah, Phoenix was shoehorned in and poorly done in AA4. What AA5 does is that is bring him back in a manner befitting of him since now we know he keeps in contact with his friends and he is this master behind-the-scenes mover and shaker with Edgeworth and Franziska.

I was worried with the introduction of Athena, but switching "lead" defense attorneys and the main case assistants was a stroke of genius since it developed Apollo, Phoenix, and Athena so perfectly well. Now I can't imagine NOT having all three of them together.

I would still play it for the music. AA soundtracks are impervious to curses.

Iwadare clearly LOVES composing for the franchise and is one of its biggest fans, so as long as he is at the helm of the music it will be AWESOME.

I can't say this enough, but Iwadare!! <3

Jintor

A lot of stuff that I would have just accepted without question if presented in traditional format looked fucking stupid in animated form.

Case 3
when the three friends are all nodding at each other and reconfirming their friendship or whatever
is my main sore point. Stupid as fuck.

LiK

At the very least, I am happy that Noriyuki Iwadare has settled down as the main series composer.

-Ace Attorney 3/GS3
-Ace Attorney Investigations/GK1
-Ace Attorney Investigations 2/GK2
-Ace Attorney 5/GS5

His only non AA game so far was AA1, AA2, and AA4 which mean he has officially composed a majority of the mainline soundtracks. Iwadare also seems to be a very passionate fan of the games, since during his off time he was replaying GS5 in Japan Expo USA.

Ace Attorney 5 easily has one of the best soundtracks in the series and if that isn't enough reason to have him do work for Ace Attorney 6/Gyakuten Saiban 6 I don't know what is.

I hope that doesn't mean that AA6/GS6 will be a turkey :p

the music didn't grab me initially during the first case but some of the later tracks are stellar.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Case 5 trial 1. Haven't really dont anything yet but sweet jesus skfjalsfjaslkfjasl.

And with that off my chest,
holy shit Edgeworth has a deep voice.
Anime scenes are super cheese, lol.

A lot of stuff that I would have just accepted without question if presented in traditional format looked fucking stupid in animated form.

Case 3
when the three friends are all nodding at each other and reconfirming their friendship or whatever
is my main sore point. Stupid as fuck.

Yeah that was just too cheesy. We're in the middle of court, people!

Sorian

Banned
I hated the anime cutscenes as well but it was at least worth it for (case 5 spoilers)
the introduction to Phoenix vs. Edgeworth, so good, Legend vs. Chief Prosecutor

Wow, Case 5 has just been wild so far.

I just got past the To Be Continued during the first trial.

Geez, everything with Athena and Blackquill was intense. Proving that they were both innocent of the murder of Athena's mom felt great, but then you remember the whole 'Athena is still charged with Clay's murder' bit. That entire thing was a great rollercoaster. I was also pleasantly surprised to have some followup on the Black Psyche-Locks from the previous game. I had really figured that was going to go completely unaddressed in this game (although it still looks like we won't find out exactly what was up with Kristoph's in particular).

It's great to be having a trial between Phoenix and Edgeworth again, although Edgeworth's new Objection voice really doesn't do it for me.

Doorman

Finished the first trial day of case 3.

Robin, both first meeting him during the investigation and now after the cross-exam, is already on high on my list of favorite witnesses throughout the whole series. It's just been a string of constant amusement.

Mr. RHC

So, just finished AA4, might as well just post my LTTP here.

Oh my, that
Lamiror
plot twist at the end! I must also say
Klavier Gavin made for an excellent, very co-operative prosecutor, lol.

Overall, I must say I think I like AAI a bit more than this, but AA4 definitely had its very cool moments!

Torraz

Just started the trial for Case 3. So far I think I am going to like this case quite a bit more than 1 and 2, although the final court day of Case 2 was also pretty great.

Finished the first trial day of case 3.

Robin, both first meeting him during the investigation and now after the cross-exam, is already on high on my list of favorite witnesses throughout the whole series. It's just been a string of constant amusement.

AA5 has quite a few great witnesses; it lives up to the series tradition very well there.

Torraz

So, just finished AA4, might as well just post my LTTP here.

Oh my, that
Lamiror
plot twist at the end! I must also say
Klavier Gavin made for an excellent, very co-operative prosecutor, lol.

Overall, I must say I think I like AAI a bit more than this, but AA4 definitely had its very cool moments!

My biggest problem with AA4 was that the prosecutor was way too cooperative.

LiK

Just started the trial for Case 3. So far I think I am going to like this case quite a bit more than 1 and 2, although the final court day of Case 2 was also pretty great.

Case 1 & 2 dragged too much for me. You know how it'll go so it was just going through the motions. Everything from Case 3 and on up are great and full of twists. Just like the old games.

lol, Case 3's culprit has the funniest breakdown animation so far hahaha xD

I LOVE how they went for the ensemble cast approach for the 3 main characters. Everyone gets to shine in the spotlight and none of them feel like secondary characters. So good. This is already my favorite game in the series, easily.

LiK

My fave expression from Athena. So smug. XD

Athena.jpg

DaBoss

I think I'll redo the GIFs so they no longer have the white stuff so it will look good on the dark theme on GAF.

And add a pause at the end so it doesn't repeat so fast for some of them.

iFVqZcjwjkcqm.gif

iwW2t1ox1qvqF.gif

ibctMtJLpwMEY8.gif

LiK

So never played one of these game before, would it be a good idea to play one of the earlier games?

play the first 4 (AA1-3 + Apollo Justice) if you can. they're great in of themselves and adds a lot of context to the returning characters and references. half the joy are the returning characters from the earlier games.

Finished the game.

My reactions can basically be summarized like:

WHAT? DID THAT HAPPEN? I just...how?

(Major ending spoilers)
That moment when you realize Fulbright is the one behind everything was just...wow. I did not in a million years think that was going to happen, even knowing that there was something really shocking at the end.

And then just everything after that was amazing. Everything came together so beautifully.

I still can't really process how they pulled that off. Discovering that everything about Fulbright was an act makes his character retroactively pretty great, and now I get why he was so obnoxious. Without a doubt, that was the biggest shock Ace Attorney has ever pulled off.

Done with the game, when is the DLC coming out?
So far I'd say:
Case 1: Very good
Case 2: Great
Case 3: meh
Case 4: laughable
Case 5: Great (some wasted potential though)

Depending on the DLC, I might consider this game my favorite in the series. Right now though, if you exclude the fancy new presentation, I'd probably still rank the first game higher.

I feel I was the only person who liked the anime cutscenes :(

People hate those? Good to know I'm not the only one. It's like all the self awareness of the series is gone in the cutscenes and all that's left is actual real cheesiness.

Thoraxes

Man, I was on media blackout enough that I didn't even know the total number of cases in the game.

My grin is so fucking big right now, now that I know.

Also, I loved case 3.

Finished the game. I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, the characters are as great as usal, the 3D animations work very well, and the gameplay streamlining is nicely one without oversimplifying too much how an PW investigation works.

On the other hand, most of the cases were utterly boring.
Case 2 and 3, especially : not a lot of surprises, the pacing was boring, you could see the outcome coming miles in advance... not much subtlety here. The parody of highschool drama tropes in 3 were cute, but that's all. And I loved the "in we justice we trust" greetings between Athena and Fool Bright. Should be a new internet meme.
Case 4 was a joke.
Case 5 was great.

I'm not a big fan of the animated scenes, and I don't think studio Bones' style is fitted for PW.

Waiting for the DLC case, now. It's Shu Takumi I believe ? So it should be better, obviously.

Sorian

Banned
Everyone saying that case 4 sucks or is a joke, think of it as case 4 and case 5 are actually one case. I'd be willing to bet a lot that they split the case in half so that they could say the game has 5 cases while still being able to sell a DLC case that was made at the same time as the game and takes place before the finale of the game. I love the AA series, but anyone can smell that something was wrong there.

FSLink

Banned
I'd be willing to bet a lot that they split the case in half so that they could say the game has 5 cases while still being able to sell a DLC case that was made at the same time as the game and takes place before the finale of the game. I love the AA series, but anyone can smell that something was wrong there.

Well that and it is CAPCOM. :p

Everyone saying that case 4 sucks or is a joke, think of it as case 4 and case 5 are actually one case. I'd be willing to bet a lot that they split the case in half so that they could say the game has 5 cases while still being able to sell a DLC case that was made at the same time as the game and takes place before the finale of the game. I love the AA series, but anyone can smell that something was wrong there.

Well, what you say is pretty obvious and pretty much the problem. They should have just made it 4 cases instead of creating false expectations. Some compare it to T&T, but then it should have been a
short flashback case 7 years prior
or something like that instead of what they pulled here. All they did is kill my mood going into case 5. (Which was pretty good at first, the director was cool)

Top Bottom