• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm only on case 2, and I'm absolutely loving it so far. Blackquill might be my favorite prosecutor since Franziska.

Jintor

tumblr_mvo58pA8Ga1qa71j0o2_400.gif

lil' taka

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I didn't like Case 3 too much because it was too
all buddy and friendship, kinda cheesy and lame.

GSR

i dont get why in case 3 there is pretty much VA for ever character in the anime cutscenes... yet they couldn't get them to voice objection?

Yeah, that bugged me too, especially coming off of PLvsPW where everyone has voiced interjection clips. While I get that keeping them silent except for the mains makes them 'special', it's actually just really nice having witnesses provide their own "HOLD IT"s, especially if they've been silent up to that point.

Tizoc

I've noticed Taka's eyes widening for the longest time whenever Simon does that =V
I didn't like Case 3 too much because it was too
all buddy and friendship, kinda cheesy and lame.

It took place in a Japanese high school, what were you expecting?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Taka's eye's opening is amazing, I've noticed it and always stare at it, lol. Same with when he laughs it looks like the hawk is chuckling with him.

Just finished Case 5. Emotionally drained, but that case was amazing. I'll have to type up my coherent thoughts later.

Nico_D

Finished the fourth case.

I don't know, I don't think this game is on par with the first three. It's well written, the witnesses are probably the best and the most vividly characterized I've seen on this series (the thief, Cosmos, Myriam) - but the good writing doesn't touch the gameplay. In cases 1,3 and 4 I've felt too often myself as an observer while Phoenix or Apollo goes on and explains what happened. Instead of me having a chance to do that.

This tendency has been evident at the end of these cases and these sections go by without the player having a decent opportunity to participate - though the logic thing at the end is a very good touch, it is too easy and in these cases the only interactive part.

I don't like that.

Also, these three cases have had some serious problems with being a bit too straight-forward and evident. There's too little twists in the mystery and those which can be found, don't let the player be part of it like in case 4
when it becomes clear the the launch pad 1 was switched with the museum.

The animation is great, music is brilliant and humor works better than in the first trilogy but the cases are weaker. In my opinion, case 2 was the best because it had some mystery in it. A mystery which wasn't solved too easily.

Tizoc

Bleh my bad, gonna post this in Spoilers thread, so if you wanna know just go there after finishing Case 4 ^^;

yami4ct

End of case 4. That twist! Not too surprised, to be honest. It's a very "Ace Attorney" style twist. Just didn't expect them to pull it at the end of case 4. Really seemed like
something they were building to for case 5
. Really excited to see this all close out.

demidar

In case anyone hasn't figured it out yet, Yuri Cosmos is based on Juzo Okita from Space Battleship Yamato
http://www.favslist.com/photos/pages/x1/Juzo-Okita-1376138734-23376.jpg[img]
and Captain Nemo from Legend of the Blue Waters
[img]http://imageupload.co.uk/images/2013/11/03/nad64.jpg[img]

Or at least those are the only 2 character whom I'm reminded of based on his design =P[/QUOTE]

That makes sense, Yuri's right eye is also covered by his cap when idle.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game, what a ride. Loved the
after-credits video, those are amazing in 3D

The storyline of
Athena 'repairing' her mum was so well done and unexpected, when everyone went all "SHUT UP BLACKQUILL DONT SAY WHAT I THINK YOU'LL SAY" you could have placed me right next to them in the courtroom :D Really like that they did go there and kept the possibility up for quite some time.
Not so sure if I like the "I don't know who I am anymore" thing on the last bit though, I would have preferred one single mask and a really suprising reveal there. But hey, it kept me on the edge of my seat anyway, so it was acceptable :)

Oh and I adore the character design of this series, especially this game. Athena <3

I think I'll redo the GIFs so they no longer have the white stuff so it will look good on the dark theme on GAF.

And add a pause at the end so it doesn't repeat so fast for some of them.

iFVqZcjwjkcqm.gif

iwW2t1ox1qvqF.gif

ibctMtJLpwMEY8.gif

Wow how did you make these?

Well, what you say is pretty obvious and pretty much the problem. They should have just made it 4 cases instead of creating false expectations. Some compare it to T&T, but then it should have been a
short flashback case 7 years prior
or something like that instead of what they pulled here. All they did is kill my mood going into case 5. (Which was pretty good at first, the director was cool)

For what it's worth, I think it's pretty cool that
the first half of case 4 has you play Apollo, and then it hands off to Phoenix after the break, and THEN you realize how it's (tangentially) related to case 1.

For what it's worth, I think it's pretty cool that
the first half of case 4 has you play Apollo, and then it hands off to Phoenix after the break, and THEN you realize how it's (tangentially) related to case 1.

Now that you mention it,
I thought the connections to case 1 should have been stronger once they went there. Not even Apollo's eye wound is actually from the explosion, wat?

It took place in a Japanese high school, what were you expecting?

Not picking the worst scenario imaginable to begin with could have been a good start.

spiritfox

Now that you mention it,
I thought the connections to case 1 should have been stronger once they went there. Not even Apollo's eye wound is actually from the explosion, wat?

Not picking the worst scenario imaginable to begin with could have been a good start.

The Japanese love them high schools.

It would have been more realistic if it was a law college or university faculty.

I went back to replaying case 5 of the first Ace Attorney (meant to start with case 4, but whatever...) and man this game is hard compared to AA5. Okay, I see why AA5 has some streamlining in investigations, but they went too far and made the game too easy. There should be some challenge or the game turns into a visual novel...

Now that you mention it,

I guess it was to
throw off our expectations from all the preview material.
And I think the explanation they came up for it was pretty good, too.

Zornica

Banned
got a question about trucy...
I didn't play the english version of AA4 back then so her behaviour and choice of words in AA5 seems kinda odd to me.

did she always call phoenix just "daddy"?
I find it annoyingly irritating which is a shame because I really liked here in AA4...

He isn't, but this is his best animation/characteristic. His jokes are always so stupid and random, lol.

aw :(
his jokes certainly did get me, though

I didn't play the english version of AA4 back then so her behaviour and choice of words in AA5 seems kinda odd to me.

I find it annoyingly irritated which is a shame because I really liked here in AA4...

She did. If I'm recalling correctly, at the part where Phoenix decides to adopt Trucy, he even tells her to call him "Daddy".

The attention to detail in this game is staggering. In Case 3, someone noticed that when
cross examining Myriam, and all of her stuff falls out of her cardboard box, for a split second, you can see her laptop; On the screen is a picture of Robin, Hugh and Juniper, with herself 'shopped into the picture. Shows how desperately she just wanted to be friends with them. See it here.

It's a pretty neat detail, considering how good of an eye you'd have to have to catch it.

Frolow

Banned

I find it annoyingly irritated which is a shame because I really liked here in AA4...

Trucy has called him Daddy ever since the
flash-back scene in AJ.

What did she call him in the Japanese version by chance?

Alastor3

So I enjoyed every AA so far and I wonder if this one have difficult puzzles? Im not the smartest guy and I enjoy resolving puzzle that I think was difficult but maybe was average for other people.

The attention to detail in this game is staggering. In Case 3, someone noticed that when
cross examining Myriam, and all of her stuff falls out of her cardboard box, for a split second, you can see her laptop; On the screen is a picture of Robin, Hugh and Juniper, with herself 'shopped into the picture. Shows how desperately she just wanted to be friends with them. See it here.

It's a pretty neat detail, considering how good of an eye you'd have to have to catch it.
nice find

I was trying to look at it myself but my eye couldn't catch it

So I enjoyed every AA so far and I wonder if this one have difficult puzzles? Im not the smartest guy and I enjoy resolving puzzle that I think was difficult but maybe was average for other people.
Everything is streamlined. Its still a little difficult for as vets and easy enough for new players. Cross examinations vary but there pretty simple to grasp if you press them on everything. The only loss is that you can only examine the crime scenes. Its sucks considering environments look amazing

Top Bottom