• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, first time I think that song's heard is with Filch and as a result I'll always associate it with him. It's who I thought it fit the most, too.

Edit: Oh wait, I hadn't even clicked on the link for that one. Only one I remember hearing Suspicious People with is indeed
Myriam
. Might as well be her theme.

Jintor

It only played for her though, right? Same with Hugh and the Difficult People theme. It might as well be her theme.

Filch and Robin share the Lively People theme, but imho the 'people' themes are basically just a generic witness theme. I guess it only really plays for them in the game though...

daydream

Banned
Yeah, first time I think that song's heard is with Filch and as a result I'll always associate it with him. It's who I thought it fit the most, too.

Hmm, right, makes sense. I guess I forgot about Filch. Not the most memorable character for me.

I appreciate the consistencies throughout the different soundtracks. Makes it easy to follow the musical evolution of the series. This game probably has the best ''people'' themes.

Jintor

tumblr_mvi656QCmK1syu9cyo1_500.jpg

Oh yeah, an ultimatum to everyone who hasn't beaten this game yet: I'm gonna be updating my avatar in about 3 days to something spoilerish from this game (which was shown in the trailers, but some people didn't watch them).

You have been warned. ;)

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!

OMFG THAT CASE 4 ENDING. HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joaquin-Phoenix-signs.gif

This game... this freakin game... my head felt heavy after that revelation. Damn!!!!!!!!

Frolow

Banned
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!

OMFG THAT CASE 4 ENDING. HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joaquin-Phoenix-signs.gif

This game... this freakin game... my head felt heavy after that revelation. Damn!!!!!!!!

Phffft, that's nothing. Wait until you get to Case 5.

shit, i'm midway through case 5...

but that horrible conflicting feeling.

I want to see this through... but then ill be done ;_;

I think i should go finish pokemon or my backlog right now.

*shuffles feet*

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
shit, i'm midway through case 5...

but that horrible conflicting feeling.

I want to see this through... but then ill be done ;_;

I think i should go finish pokemon or my backlog right now.

*shuffles feet*

Yeah, I'm suffering from those post-attorney feels. The wait between each entry is rough.

aka BRING OVER INVESTIGATIONS 2 PLS.

Yeah, I'm suffering from those post-attorney feels. The wait between each entry is rough.

Yeah, I've been the same way since finishing the game yesterday.

Hopefully it won't be too much longer until we get to play the rest of Investigations 2, and that a new game will be along shortly.

yami4ct

Ok. Finished Case 5 Trial Part 1. Honestly, it's not been all that surprising so far. Not nearly as shocking as people have made it out to be yet. I definitely was far more surprised at stuff in 3-5 than anything in 5-5 so far. Still, just because it wasn't surprising doesn't mean it hasn't been horrifying and really well done.
Athena trying to "fix" her mom
was a devastating moment,

Ok, PREDICTION TIME. I'm 99% sure this is insane and I'm way off base, but I want to put it out there just in case I'm right.

Clay Terran was the Phantom/Spy. Athena somehow found this out in a meeting with him and Apollo or something. She was so shocked that she ended up setting up the murder of him, while completely repressing the fact that she's done it

Some of my reasoning.
Clay's murder has to be involved in this. That's 100% sure on this. Athena's fingerprints being on the lighter are hyper suspicious. We know Athena repressing stuff is a completely legit explanation from Case 5 part 1. Since Starbuck has been cleared, the only other options we have for the spy are Yuri and Aura. Aura's surprise is too legit, so I think that rules her out. It could be Yuri, but so far it all adds up. The only thing that would tie Clay into this is him being the spy, which makes Athena the most obvious person with motive

zulux21

ideally we will at least have layton x wright next year (aka as long as it isn't delayed) so the wait won't be so horrible for the next real AA game (as we will have that sorta AA game in between).

yami4ct

I seriously hope to god the sales help Sven argue that an aai 2 digital release will be worth it

I wonder how much work would have to be done to bring AAI2 over digitally? Being a DS game, it could be tough to program it as a digital only, 3DS release. I would like them to do it, but at this point I'd be happy with getting the fan translation and having Capcom release all the future AA titles over here on the eShop.

Draxal

I'd so re buy every Ace Attorney game on the eshop if they add the scene select from this game to the previous titles.

It makes replaying this game so much more fun.

Zornica

Banned
the trial of the 5th case is about to start
my mind is ready
to be blown

after all this hype it better be damn good ;)
I hope it's not something stupid like "athena is a cyborg"

I'd so re buy every Ace Attorney game on the eshop if they add the scene select from this game to the previous titles.

It makes replaying this game so much more fun.

What this game has a scene select for repeats? Not that I'd ever want to skip scenes on a replay but thats awesome. Certainly useful when debates come up

Nico_D

I can only buy one 3DS game this month, and I have to choose between this or Zelda ._. How's the game compared to the others of the series ? (I loved them all except for the second which I found less fun, even though it introduced several critical gameplay mechanisms).

While it's gorgeous and the music is great, I find it a step backwards from the first three games. This game has a good story but since it's far more easier (too easy) than the first trilogy, I find it more a visual novel than a game. I'm a bit disappointed although I still somewhat enjoy playing it: the humor works and the crimes are quite interesting.

Young Magus

Well, as of last night I just got done with Apollo Justice. Which means that Im fully preparied for this game. Thanks for the advice on playing them all, it was worth it. Gonna be starting this one up soon :D

Case 5: did anyone else think that
Candice Arme could be the phantom? I was always a bit curious about how we didn't really know anything about her, even though she was at the scene of crime 7 years ago. And at the time of trial she was already dead, so the "phantom" name would have made dramatic sense...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So is there any way to reset the save data for this outside of deleting everything and redownloading? I'd like to do that before I let my wife start up, but the episode selection screen has a bunch of background images after finishing the game that I wouldn't want visible for a first playthrough.

Tizoc

So is there any way to reset the save data for this outside of deleting everything and redownloading? I'd like to do that before I let my wife start up, but the episode selection screen has a bunch of background images after finishing the game that I wouldn't want visible for a first playthrough.

If you choose Episode Select, it'll awlays start at Chapter 1, and its image isn't spoilery much.
At the end of each chapter, you should be sent automatically to the next one. Alt. After finishing a chapter, choosing continue from the main menu will still help in avoiding spoilers.

GSR

Hold down B, X, and Start while starting the game. Or hit "X" on the "Continue" button in the main menu. (At least, that's how the Japanese version lets you do it.)

The music in this game is so so good. I love Trucy's updated theme (and Athena's theme).

I'm into Case 5 now. End of Case 4 got me, I have to say.

nickcv

first of all whoever is not putting Franziska at the top of the best prosecutor list is doing it wrong, but let's move on.

I bought the game the other day and I'm in the middle of the second case.
Am I the only one really bothered by the fact that they are showing us who the killer is in the initial cut scene?

I'm really liking the game, but so far is missing something.
The second case of dual destinies reminds me a lot of
the first case in Justice for All, where Maya is being accused of killing someone in the temple chamber
probably because they share a very similar thematic, but the case from the old game I think had a much better pace.

So far I think that what the game is missing for me is the thrill of discovery: they give away too many informations in the first cut scene of every case. I still remember the 5th special case in the first ace attorney game: that cut scene intrigued me without giving me any real answer, damn it took me hours to understand who it was possible that the victim was
killed in two different locations at the same time

Do they still give away who the killer is right away in the last 2 cases?

Another small thing: I do like Athena as a character, but her power is not that interesting.
The best power in the series is still the magatama.

Magatama >>>>>>>>>>>>> Little Thief >>> Athena Psychology > Apollo's Bracelet

The game is really good so far, but I still think that both Justice for All and Trials and Tribulations are superior. Miles Edgeworth investigation also was a better game imho.

vladdamad

I am currently close to the end of Case 3, and I'm absolutely loving it so far. New characters, animations, music, it's all wonderful. Case 2 was great fun, despite being filler and a little obvious.

Case 3, however, is currently one of my favourites in the series. Favourite moment so far has been a character revelation during the first day of the trial (
Robin Newman
), I genuinely did not see that coming. I'm not at the very end yet, but since I'm cross-examining
Aristotle
I take it I don't have far to go. I kind of suspected that that person was the killer, purely because
he was the only one not to have any suspicions put upon him over the course of the case, which is always a major red light for me in detective fiction
. I also loved the cameo from
Klavier. I really loved him in AA4, unlike most of the people here, so it was great to see him again.

One thing that I genuinely despise are the anime cutscenes, which are absolutely terrible. The worst one was the one near the end of Case 3, which
shows the friendship bracelets of the trio
, that was so cheesy it almost felt like a parody.

Really enjoying it in any case, and looking forward to seeing the revelations in the last cases

abrack08

first of all whoever is not putting Franziska at the top of the best prosecutor list is doing it wrong, but let's move on.

I bought the game the other day and I'm in the middle of the second case.
Am I the only one really bothered by the fact that they are showing us who the killer is in the initial cut scene?

I'm really liking the game, but so far is missing something.
The second case of dual destinies reminds me a lot of
the first case in Justice for All, where Maya is being accused of killing someone in the temple chamber
probably because they share a very similar thematic, but the case from the old game I think had a much better pace.

So far I think that what the game is missing for me is the thrill of discovery: they give away too many informations in the first cut scene of every case. I still remember the 5th special case in the first ace attorney game: that cut scene intrigued me without giving me any real answer, damn it took me hours to understand who it was possible that the victim was
killed in two different locations at the same time

Do they still give away who the killer is right away in the last 2 cases?

Another small thing: I do like Athena as a character, but her power is not that interesting.
The best power in the series is still the magatama.

Magatama >>>>>>>>>>>>> Little Thief >>> Athena Psychology > Apollo's Bracelet

The game is really good so far, but I still think that both Justice for All and Trials and Tribulations are superior. Miles Edgeworth investigation also was a better game imho.

They don't give away the killer in the opening scene after case 2. I also don't think midway through Case 2 is a fair comparison to other games... I mean, you're comparing half of the first non-tutorialish case to entire other games with mindblowing twists. You may still feel the same way after your done with AA5, but you just don't know yet.

You're right about Athena's power though... it doesn't get much better. It's not terrible, but it's... meh. Athena, as a character, is amazing though.

Tizoc

Anyone else thought 'I missed these people, I missed them so fucking much' at any point during their first playthrough?
By the time of Case 2, that's how I felt, I really loved the series and its characters, and it felt like forever since I enjoyed the crazy antics in the court room.

Anyone else thought 'I missed these people, I missed them so fucking much' at any point during their first playthrough?
By the time of Case 2, that's how I felt, I really loved the series and its characters, and it felt like forever since I enjoyed the crazy antics in the court room.

I feel that way every time I play a new Ace Attorney game, I love this series and its universe

nickcv

They don't give away the killer in the opening scene after case 2. I also don't think midway through Case 2 is a fair comparison to other games... I mean, you're comparing half of the first non-tutorialish case to entire other games with mindblowing twists. You may still feel the same way after your done with AA5, but you just don't know yet.

You're right about Athena's power though... it doesn't get much better. It's not terrible, but it's... meh. Athena, as a character, is amazing though.

Good to know!

I know I'm not even half the game through, I was more comparing the second case of dual destinies with the second case of
Justice for All

Love the game so far anyway!

PK Gaming

It only played for her though, right? Same with Hugh and the Difficult People theme. It might as well be her theme.

Difficult People also plays for
Ted Tonate when you question him
and Suspicious People also plays when you
chat with Aura Blackquill.

LiK

Anyone else love the parts where the character is putting together the entire case in their heads? The music, animations and sound effects was just pure AWESOME.

Reached 'final battle'. About how many hours I got left? Wanna finish it in one go after work but I don't wanna be blind sided like aai which was actually 5 hours longer than I planned.

Draxal

Athene's power is redeemed by how awesome the music is for those parts.

Exodist

Anyone else love the parts where the character is putting together the entire case in their heads? The music, animations and sound effects was just pure AWESOME.

Yeah, probably one of my favourite new little things they added.

Yeah, probably one of my favourite new little things they added.

not being able to lose any health there makes you wonder why they even keep that health system around anyways?

you can't lose any in mood matrix either.

wonder if the next game will just abandon punishments all together.

Top Bottom