• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Lusankya

I am sure no one will post real spoilers here, but normal stuff from the official web site and trailers can only be avoided by not visiting anything that has to do with Ace Attorney. And something like the poster art can be seen everywhere and is not considered a spoiler, so you can't blame chickdigger802 for posting it.

Speaking of spoilers, do you think we should open a spoiler thread for all those who have already finished AA5 and want to discuss it? It worked really well for Virtue's Last Reward for example.

DaBoss

Actually, I think you'll be safe since it seems that's all for characters that will be returning being shown in media promotions. Anything else ill be a surprise.

Speaking of spoilers, do you think we should open a spoiler thread for all those who have already finished AA5 and want to discuss it? It worked really well for Virtue's Last Reward for example.

I think that would be a good idea.

fokkusu

Continuing the third game (DS version) after watching the movie. Had a few months break since I played it last time and now in third turnabout.

How's the Apollo Justice game, would it be good snack to have before AA5 arrives?

fokkusu

Without Apollo Justice, the core of AA5's conceit revolving around Wright's return to form and the dark age of law would make absolutely no sense.

Great, ordered it from Amazon! Too bad the AA5 will be digital only in west. I love my AA games in physical form.

1-5 is one of my favourite cases. Just something about it..

Yep, it's my favourite case as well.
The fact that it's one of the longer cases (using the full three days at that) but entirely self contained instead of building off of events from other cases helps it stand out, it brings in a host of new characters into the equation giving you more options when it comes to casting your suspicions and the actual villain is among my favourites as well, one who walks a fine line between being straight up despicable yet kind of understandable with interesting motivations behind their actions. (not that i'm condoning such things)

There's a few great new character themes as well.

people really consider character cameos a spoiler these days in AA game? :p
Might as well get off the internet at that point mainly because character cameos is almost a marketing point for many games lol.

Yep, it's my favourite case as well.
The fact that it's one of the longer cases (using the full three days at that) but entirely self contained instead of building off of events from other cases helps it stand out, it brings in a host of new characters into the equation giving you more options when it comes to casting your suspicions and the actual villain is among my favourites as well, one who walks a fine line between being straight up despicable yet kind of understandable with interesting motivations behind their actions. (not that i'm condoning such things)

There's a few great new character themes as well.

it also gets away from all the spiritual nonsense which is nice at times. Phoenix is also a freaking boss this chapter and better yet Edgeworth is great. It really is nice when the prosecutor isn't an asshole all the time.

That's a good point, no medium shenanigans is a nice change of pace, replaced by forensic investigation as well.
And this is the first case where you get Wrighto and Worthy working with each other for the pursuit of truth and all that jazz which feels like a reward in itself after beating the fourth case.

playing AA games on the tv. Good stuff.

2013-06-03%2019.31.14.jpg

GSR

Good to get some more English names!

Also, AA5 might be getting a digital release in Japan after all. It shows up on Nintendo's site if you search, but Capcom's yet to confirm it and I think the eShop listing still says "not planned to be available on the eShop."

onto AA2 now. I don't get it, just not a fan of fran at all. Pretty much is just like her pops in character. It's just more of an annoyance than edgeworth who could get some interesting debate going on.

Oh well, at least there is pearl!

Franziska was always my least favourite of the main cast, there's only so many times I can sit through the various whip animations.

Yeah, she's just a less intimidating version of her father, and frankly, she'll never be as intimidating as he was. (Though that's pretty much the entire point of her character: Trying and failing to live up to an impossible legacy.)

I found her way more tolerable and actually likeable in AA3, though.

I feel like her character would work better as a guest character or one for a specific case. I guess it doesn't help that coming from 1-5 which easily had the best court room 'chemistry' going on in the series...

hmmm did they get a different artist somewhere around making 1-5? Even the new art of old stuff like on music boxes and art books look quite different from the stuff in the original trilogy.

Lusankya

Man I am slightly worried about the localization. They translate Nine Tails Vale but put Kyubi Manor instead of Nine Tails Manor? Also they leave youkai but in other dialogue they put monsters.

People worry about the smallest things. Trucy calls them yokai, Jinxie calls them monsters. Where's the problem?

I feel like her character would work better as a guest character or one for a specific case. I guess it doesn't help that coming from 1-5 which easily had the best court room 'chemistry' going on in the series...

hmmm did they get a different artist somewhere around making 1-5? Even the new art of old stuff like on music boxes and art books look quite different from the stuff in the original trilogy.

how are the AA and AAI mangas? Seem relatively ok priced on amazon.

Can't comment on AAI as I only own volume 1 but AA manga did a really good job of creating new mysteries and capturing the feeling of the series.

Motherfucker. I think the aaa hd collection is missing pearls theme. Every scene she's around it's the 'happy people' theme from aa1.

I think I'm gonna stab someone.

Motherfucker. I think the aaa hd collection is missing pearls theme. Every scene she's around it's the 'happy people' theme from aa1.

I think I'm gonna stab someone.

Oh wow. Between that and using the GBA audio when they have the higher quality WiiWare music to work with, the trilogy release sounds like some shoddy work.

As if it wasn't bad enough that JFA has the weakest soundtrack of the lot (in my opinion at least) they went and removed the best new song in that game, oh that's cruel.

As if it wasn't bad enough that JFA has the weakest soundtrack of the lot (in my opinion at least) they went and removed the best new song in that game, oh that's cruel.

Weakest probably but the most unique lol. Really like the objection and cornered theme. And more happy people is great.

But yeah this collection. Hmmmmm. I really should rebuy the ds games on eBay when I get a bit more cash.

BlackJace

how are the AA and AAI mangas? Seem relatively ok priced on amazon.

The AA mangas are quite bland in my opinion. I think AA is a series that would be better as an anime rather than a manga. The characters feel less colorful than the do in the games. The writing is kind of off as well, the author doesn't do a great job of building up the criminals like the games do. Art is average. I currently own 1-3, and actually stopped halfway through 2.

GSR

Doesn't look like there was anything DD-related in Famitsu this week, but the Japanese devblog updated with some neat tidbits:

• In investigation mode, you can now move to anywhere from anywhere instead of having to step from place to place.
  • As you progress through a case, you get the option to jump back to certain points in the story. So if you want to replay just the final trial day or something, you don't have to start the case from the very beginning.
  • For the Thought Route system, they made it so that making a mistake doesn't just give a generic "that's wrong" message, but that it changes depending on the choices you made.

Doesn't look like there was anything DD-related in Famitsu this week, but the Japanese devblog updated with some neat tidbits:

• In investigation mode, you can now move to anywhere from anywhere instead of having to step from place to place.
  • As you progress through a case, you get the option to jump back to certain points in the story. So if you want to replay just the final trial day or something, you don't have to start the case from the very beginning.
  • For the Thought Route system, they made it so that making a mistake doesn't just give a generic "that's wrong" message, but that it changes depending on the choices you made.

Sounds like some very welcome additions, in my opinion.

DaBoss

Wow, that is some good stuff to hear. So hyped for this game.

GSR

Another Dual Destinies tidbit: Eshiro did an interview with a Japanese magazine and mentioned that if you go to the memo in investigation mode, there's an option to get hints about where to go next. I'm really liking that they're making all these little tweaks.

BlackJace

Another Dual Destinies tidbit: Eshiro did an interview with a Japanese magazine and mentioned that if you go to the memo in investigation mode, there's an option to get hints about where to go next. I'm really liking that they're making all these little tweaks.

Preorder cancelled. Ace Attorney ruined; is now a casualized, focus-tested mess. They've now turned the series into Babby Attorney.

GSR

Preorder cancelled. Ace Attorney ruined; is now a casualized, focus-tested mess. They've now turned the series into Babby Attorney.

Guess you'll hate PLvsAA as well, seeing how you could use hint coins during trials and get told where to press/present (and reduce your choice of evidence to just a few), eh?

For real though it will be a nice feature, I can't count how many times I got stuck on my first playthroughs of these games because I missed some little background thing.

FluxWaveZ

It's cool for investigation because those can get tedious, but I'm not that into the temptation that a feature like that could bring to the courtroom.

BlackJace

For real though it will be a nice feature, I can't count how many times I got stuck on my first playthroughs of these games because I missed some little background thing.

The fucking
computer terminal in Oldbag's security station
in Case 3 kept me from progressing forever.

Sounds like they're streamlining the Investigation process in all of the right ways. Having just played through 1-5, I especially appreciate the fast travel to any location from anywhere.

GSR

It's cool for investigation because those can get tedious, but I'm not that into the temptation that a feature like that could bring to the courtroom.

I actually didn't use it that much in PLvsAA. (In fact I think the only times I did were to see how it worked.) Still, I get what you mean.

Arthrus

Replaying 1-3 today, I came across one of my favourite moments:

Edgeworth:
OBJECTION!
Judge:
Yes?
Edgeworth:
I was hoping to come up with a question while I was objecting, Your Honor... I didn't.
Judge:
Uh... ok... in that case-
Edgeworth:
OBJECTION! Verily, I say... Ergo... I have a question!

It went something like that.

Now to make psych lock not shit. Why must I repeat everything I already unlocked?

There is no shame gamefaqing the investigation parts of aa2 and 3 IMO.

One pro of the hd collections, it encourages you to poke around and 'fail' questions during court questions.

Lusankya

There should be one more update to the official site before the game is released in Japan. I soooo want to see the last profile page that is still missing (especially the official art).

GSR

There should be one more update to the official site before the game is released in Japan. I soooo want to see the last profile page that is still missing (especially the official art).

My guess would be this week, since they're doing another GS5 episode of Hagitoko next week. (Hagitoko's a Capcom web series presenting various upcoming games.)

Enjoy it! It's not a perfect game by any means (there's some pacing problems later on), but it's still pretty great.

Thanks! I know what you mean by pacing problems, I ran into them playing yesterday. Overall I'm still enjoying it very much, when I'm done I'd like to share my thoughts about it with you (and the others in this topic that have played the game).

Top Bottom