• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Link1110

I was thinking today; JFA has arguably the worst case in the series back to back with debatably the best one. If you had to go back and completely rework case 3, what would you replace it with?

I'd probably have a case where Pearl is the defendant. Too dark with a kid defendant? Look at Apollo Justice case 3. Maybe it could even use some of that case's ideas but better. For example, the charges were ludocrois in that case because the kid couldn't have fired the huge gun. Have the charges be just as insane, with Phoenix trying to convince Franziska, and eventually she sees this and comes around liek Edgeworth in Case 3 of AA. After that, Edgeworth's telling her of his experiences in case 4 would carry a ton more weight because she had experiences that mirror it and would have made for a more interesting story arc. She's not in T&T all that much, so giving her a different character arc wouldn't change that too much.

rekameohs

Banned
To answer:
no, it's dropped completely. My guess is they figured they had enough plot lines going on as it was.
Thanks for the answer.
An off hand remark might have been nice to explain things, but design wise, it's for the better. I don't see a jury system working well with this style of gameplay at all.

And as for why there's no 3DS version of the orginal trilogy, I don't think there's any downloadable versions for DS games - which you can already play on the system - even if the carts are rare.

I've been avoiding this thread like the plague in an effort to avoid AA5 spoilers. The game will be out soon enough, though...but I am still on media blackout.....sans the demo.

The demo is great! The game looks great, and I'm super eager to download the full game and play it.

In lieu of that, I'm replaying the first four AA games. Just recently took down the first two. ...playing through Justice For All is rough. There are a lot of little things that I like, but overall that game is a chore to get through when you know you've got a much better game coming up. Well, no matter. Starting the first case of T&T again~!

Two cases down, two more to go in Apollo Justice. The Kitaki case was kind of fun and surprising for the simple fact
Prosecutor Gavin actually helped out in the end instead of throwing a huff about losing like most prosecutors in the AA trilogy. It's a nice change of direction.

Okay I've been watching the fan translated playthrough of case 1 of AAI2 and it is really good. It sounds just like the real translation of AAI1. I'm gonna watch the first two cases with the fan patch and watch the rest through that youtube link. The game is great so far.

Frolow

Banned
Finished Apollo Justice today.

What happened to Valent in the end? I assume he turned himself in but it wasn't mentioned again after the MASON system.
And what happened with Thalassa? She got accidentally shot by Valent and Zak, was presumed dead by both of them, and somehow ended up in some European country with no memory?

Finished Apollo Justice today.

What happened to Valent in the end? I assume he turned himself in but it wasn't mentioned again after the MASON system.
And what happened with Thalassa? She got accidentally shot by Valent and Zak, was presumed dead by both of them, and somehow ended up in some European country with no memory?

Valant decided to turn himself in.

Thalassa survived and lived in Borginia. She lost her memory and her sight from the trauma, and thus she had to restart her life from scratch.

Playing through 3-2 in the HD Trilogy now... The HD Trilogy not only omitted Pearl's theme and the two save jingles from AA2 and AA3, but it also omitted Investigation ~ Search 2004, which is my personal favorite Investigation theme in the series. Instead, Gumshoe's theme is played wherever you'd typically hear this theme.

Not to mention that Luke Atmey's theme and Mask*DeMasque's theme sound noticeably worse.

Ughhhhhhh... This series deserves so much better.

Finished watching all Ace Attorney Investigations 2, AMAZING GAME, I can't believe Capcom never localized it.

AAI2 endgame spoiler:
HOLY SHIT THE WHOLE ENDING OF THE GAME WAS AMAZING, I never ever expected "him" to be the mastermind behind everything... they even foreshadowed it several times which blows my mind.

FluxWaveZ

I'm gonna try and hold out for the hacked ROM version of the translation for AAI2. Depending on how long that takes, I might just have to watch the Youtube playthrough.

CorvoSol

So I finished Trials and Tribulations last night, and I feel like I was right in that
the game doesn't ever address the possibility of Godot destroying the letter as his fault. It says he was wrong for letting Maya walk into danger, but returns again the the conclusion that the solution to all of this was not destroying the letter, but warning Phoenix Wright. Pearls noting that the letter was open before she got it is a big plot point, so how is this for a seal on the plot hole: Morgan would have tried again if Pearl had failed. Or caught on if Godot had interfered, and so things would've gotten worse, because then Godot would not have had the knowledge of her plan. It isn't flawless, but it is the impression the game left with me.

I still come away from the game feeling like Phoenix and Mia had feelings for each other beyond friendship. He parallels
Godot's relationship with Mia in so many ways
, and Nick's so totally into Fey women. That said, I think it is hilarious that the trilogy never once has Phoenix or Maya out-and-out deny that they have feelings for each other. Nick seems put off by what Pearl says, but he still doesn't really deny it, and Maya never tells Pearl she's wrong, and during the last case when someone says that Maya is Nick's girlfriend, his response is only "...!"

Also this definitely cements Godot as my favorite prosecutor in the series. He's snappily dressed, snarky, smooth, out-and-out challenging and at the same time he's cool, not really evil, and a really tragic character.
Basically every fiber of me hopes that Godot was only sent to jail, and not executed for his part in things. Because even though he himself says he can't attest to the purity of his motives in defending Maya from Dahlia, and it would have been horrifying in the extreme to have murdered Pearl, it's just really hard to see him as the kind of evil that other killers in the series are, especially Manfred von Karma.
His theme song, his sneer, his being Brazilian, everything about the guy is so cool. I would probably cry tears of super joy if Godot ever showed up again. Dude is a hundred million miles cooler than Klavier Gavin.

So I finished Trials and Tribulations last night, and I feel like I was right in that
the game doesn't ever address the possibility of Godot destroying the letter as his fault. It says he was wrong for letting Maya walk into danger, but returns again the the conclusion that the solution to all of this was not destroying the letter, but warning Phoenix Wright. Pearls noting that the letter was open before she got it is a big plot point, so how is this for a seal on the plot hole: Morgan would have tried again if Pearl had failed. Or caught on if Godot had interfered, and so things would've gotten worse, because then Godot would not have had the knowledge of her plan. It isn't flawless, but it is the impression the game left with me.

I still come away from the game feeling like Phoenix and Mia had feelings for each other beyond friendship. He parallels
Godot's relationship with Mia in so many ways
, and Nick's so totally into Fey women. That said, I think it is hilarious that the trilogy never once has Phoenix or Maya out-and-out deny that they have feelings for each other. Nick seems put off by what Pearl says, but he still doesn't really deny it, and Maya never tells Pearl she's wrong, and during the last case when someone says that Maya is Nick's girlfriend, his response is only "...!"

Also this definitely cements Godot as my favorite prosecutor in the series. He's snappily dressed, snarky, smooth, out-and-out challenging and at the same time he's cool, not really evil, and a really tragic character.
Basically every fiber of me hopes that Godot was only sent to jail, and not executed for his part in things. Because even though he himself says he can't attest to the purity of his motives in defending Maya from Dahlia, and it would have been horrifying in the extreme to have murdered Pearl, it's just really hard to see him as the kind of evil that other killers in the series are, especially Manfred von Karma.
His theme song, his sneer, his being Brazilian, everything about the guy is so cool. I would probably cry tears of super joy if Godot ever showed up again. Dude is a hundred million miles cooler than Klavier Gavin.

The ending makes it pretty obvious

he's shown with the other two dead characters watching over everyone. I don't think he was executed though I imagine he probably died due to failing health

CorvoSol

I'm not trying to
kill
your favorite character. It's impossible to
kill someone who's already dead

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

hgSKlIB.gif

. . . OBJECTION!

A7e7scA.gif

Very good, Mr. Forever, a fascinating story you've woven for the court today. But no evidence? I don't buy it! The defense is prepared to present one final, decisive piece of evidence in the matter, and prove that
Prosecutor Godot lives!
Remember what the court has seen so far, that two known
murderers have been executed for their crimes. The first is Prosecutor Von Karma, and the second is one Dahlia Hawthorne.
This establishes a clear pattern that
murderers are executed for their crimes
! All the defense then needs to do, is prove that
not all murderers get the death penalty!
And the defense can do precisely that!

5Nfmae2.png

The defense submits to the court the case of one Kristoph Gavin.
Convicted of his first murder, Mr. Gavin was sentenced not to death, but to life in prison! Thus proving that not all those who are convicted of murder, especially during a trial to determine the innocence or guilt of another party, are convicted to murder!
And, for added measure, the defense will reject the claim that Prosecutor Godot
would have died from natural causes, or a failure of his body. After all, for five long years his body was preserved, and superb physical condition for one who had endured the trauma to the nervous system that he had endured.
What's more is that the defense has compelling evidence to suggest that Prosecutor Godot
would have had his health maintained by the state after his imprisonment!

AtqVFft.png

That's right, this cell room proves that
the standard of living within prison can be quite alright. Indeed, if Kristoph Gavin, a convicted murderer, can live in such comfort, no doubt the state, or Prosecutor Godot's own estate, could have provided for his continued health care. And of course, there was one final reason why Godot, even following this case, could not simply check out. To be sure, he had come to trust and respect Phoenix Wright, but even so, this final piece of evidence continued to be his reason to live!:

8FPt1tQ.png

Yes!
Even if Nick was on the case, Maya would need many supporters, and not just the one! Especially in the hard times Phoenix himself would fall on the very next year! Godot couldn't very well check out if Phoenix himself was faltering from time to time. No, he'd have to be there to keep supporting him! What with the Ace Attorney off fighting Galactus and getting disbarred, surely the Prosecutor could not yet fade so simply into the depths of Hell! And while we're on the subject of that, the defense rejects the claim that you cannot kill that which is already dead, and presents the case of the Dark Phoenix as its evidence to the contrary, with the caveat that now we're just being silly.

BDjWHEO.gif

Well, how'd I do?

CorvoSol

So I started AAI yesterday. My second time through the game, and the game's really an underappreciated gem, I think. I miss the court, and Nick, sure, but Edgeworth is really the one guy capable of carrying his own side-series. Game's fun, but I gotta say.

In 4 games now there have been 4 prosecutors involved in murder. That's nuts.

CorvoSol

Is it just me, or is AAI WAY easier than the AA games? Like, I feel like the conclusions are way obvious or simple in this game. It's not bad, though, I'm enjoying the faster pace. Investigation never feels like it drags on the way it did during the AA games.

Also: does anyone know where they sell AA figurines? I kinda want a Godot one.

Is it just me, or is AAI WAY easier than the AA games? Like, I feel like the conclusions are way obvious or simple in this game. It's not bad, though, I'm enjoying the faster pace. Investigation never feels like it drags on the way it did during the AA games.

Also: does anyone know where they sell AA figurines? I kinda want a Godot one.

Of all the things I remember most about AAI the one that stands out to me is that one stupid testimony from Case 3 against Lang. I don't remember what it was exactly, but I know I ended up trying practically every permutation of item and response before I hit the right one.

CorvoSol

Of all the things I remember most about AAI the one that stands out to me is that one stupid testimony from Case 3 against Lang. I don't remember what it was exactly, but I know I ended up trying practically every permutation of item and response before I hit the right one.

I haven't had any trouble yet, but this IS my 2nd playthrough. Lang's testimonies tend to make me laugh because the guy's philosophy is about not using logic at all. He's like Gumshoe with teeth.

Lusankya

Yeah, it's easier. The thing is Edgeworth tends to figure everything out before the cross examinations even start so the player has just to repeat what Edgey told him just a few minutes earlier.

Oh yes, I know what you mean. This mind fuck:

-- Another Possibility --

Lang: "I'll grant you that the two of them are father and daughter." (1)
"But isn't it possible that they both knew the fact?" (2)
"It was no coincidence that the reunited pair became involved in the house of Amano." (3)
"And the two of them made good use of their meetings to plan this little kidnapping." (4)
"Wouldn't you say my scenario is perfectly probable as well?" (5)

Kay sums this up as: "You mean they knowingly commited the kidnapping as father and daughter?"

Edgeworth thinks how he can disprove Lang's theory that they both know each other's identity.

Then you have to present the stolen costumes on statement (4) and Edgeworth counters him by stating that the crime wasn't planned by just two people but by three people instead.

Doesn't make any sense at all? Yes, and we also rewrote the entire cross examination for the German fan translation to make it more plausible to the readers. :D

BlackJace

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm most likely getting the AA5 OT up on Thursday of this week.
Pokemon X/Y, Sonic Lost World... the competition I tell ya lol.

Also, a poll for the title should show its face real soon.

I played the first 2 cases of the AAI2 translation and I found the second case to be better than the entirety of the previous game. Do the following 3 cases retain the same level of quality?

I played the first 2 cases of the AAI2 translation and I found the second case to be better than the entirety of the previous game. Do the following 3 cases retain the same level of quality?

I don't know but I agree. Can one handle so much ace attorney is such a short time. I think I might get a brain anurisim.

CorvoSol

So is there an official timeline somewhere? Cuz AAI has no interest in moving in chronological order, and so I'm just trying to fit it all together like, when and where and such. Like, is Turnabout Reminiscence before Edgeworth's debut in Turnabout Beginnings or whatever that case was?

dumbyugi

So is there an official timeline somewhere? Cuz AAI has no interest in moving in chronological order, and so I'm just trying to fit it all together like, when and where and such. Like, is Turnabout Reminiscence before Edgeworth's debut in Turnabout Beginnings or whatever that case was?

For AAI the timeline goes like this:
Case 4 - Case 3 - Case 2 - Case 1 - Case 5
The not flashback parts of case 4 take place after case 3 but before 2.

GSR

AAI2 is a little weird. Some people really like it, others really hate it.

Having played through it, I enjoy it, but it's got some flaws, and one plot point in case 4 made me roll my eyes really, really hard.

AAI2 is a little weird. Some people really like it, others really hate it.

Having played through it, I enjoy it, but it's got some flaws, and one plot point in case 4 made me roll my eyes really, really hard.

may I ask which was that plot point? Case 4-5 are completely insane.

rekameohs

Banned
Um, according to my memory (and that CR link you provided), Case 2 took place before Case 3.

Correct. Edgeworth solved the case on the plane (Case 2), received a call about the kidnapping when he landed, solved that case in Gatewater Land (Case 3), reminisced about the past afterwards (Case 4) then returned to his office, only to find the dead body (Case 1), and then pieced everything together in the embassy (Case 5).

What a week! And then the entirety of the sequel takes place directly after. Oh boy...!

GSR

may I ask which was that plot point? Case 4-5 are completely insane.

Pretty much the premise of case 4, eg.
amnesiac Kay
. It just feels very much like they were going "oh shit,
we need something for her to do
" so they picked one of the biggest cliches in the book.

Javier

Oh man, the last Trial part in case 3-5 is ruined in the iOS version. RUINED.

The part where Mia's "ghost" appears alongside Phoenix to accuse Godot has Mia appear solid instead of transparent as she was in the DS version. Phoenix and Mia's animation during this scene is also out of sync, with Mia raising her arm before Phoenix. And to add insult to injury, the CG with Godot holding the sword behind Dahlia!Misty is completely gone.

CorvoSol

The part where Mia's "ghost" appears alongside Phoenix to accuse Godot has Mia appear solid instead of transparent as she was in the DS version. Phoenix and Mia's animation during this scene is also out of sync, with Mia raising her arm before Phoenix. And to add insult to injury, the CG with Godot holding the sword behind Dahlia!Misty is completely gone.

Hahaha, wow, the iOS version of the series sounds so bad.

That's my favorite case. Such a shame they butchered it :(

BlackJace

The worst part of the iOS version is that it just feels so fucking cheap. Text is unnecessarily centered, highlighted words are in red instead of orange (this makes a different actually), and some of the story cues are lagged.

How do you make a slightly updated visual novel WORSE, Capcom?

Top Bottom