• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

I hadn't thought of that. Should I edit out the links? I don't wanna spoil for people.

Also AAI games have great soundtracks like dang.

Change the spoilery links to minified URL versions and you should be A-OK.

And yeah, AAI 1&2's OSTs are spectacular. This piece is still one of my favourites in the entire series (it truly blows my mind how they managed to transform a simple 11-note diddy into a grand, sweeping march).

CorvoSol

Change the spoilery links to minified URL versions and you should be A-OK.

And yeah, AAI 1&2's OSTs are spectacular. This piece is still one of my favourites in the entire series (it truly blows my mind how they managed to transform a simple 11-note diddy into a grand, sweeping march).

How do I do that? Minify the URL versions?

Godot theme is the best theme but that's such an expected answer.
so my two other favourite antagonist themes from that list are...

*AA Investigations spoilers*
Calisto Yew's theme which is nicely contrasted to Godot's slow somber jazz with an upbeat and peppy take on the same style, not really an antagonizing theme but there we go.
*AA4 spoilers*
Kristoph Gavin's theme because it just sounds so sinister, helps makes Wright's trip to Kristoph's cell feel that much more unnerving even in a game where no harm can really come to you when encountering villains face to face, well aside from splendiferously smug individuals punching you in the face and Tazer wielding prosecutors of course.

Edgey's great revival theme is pretty good but I prefer its objection version.

CrazyDude

How come it was assumed that Von Karma was the one who killed Edgeworths father? Couldn't have been easily Yogi who did and that Von Karma was just in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Finished Apollo Justice earlier today. I liked the game. I feared the worst because of what I read from some of the folks' reactions towards the game but I thought it was mostly solid with a few nitpicks. I loved the soundtrack to this game...some very choice themes.

Since I won't be getting a $20 Nintendo card until probably the end of the week, I guess I'll start AAI: Miles Edgeworth.

it cost me $88.33 to buy every AA ds game (minus AAI2) new on amazon.

i think its time for me to rebuild my collection after much of my ds library in a flood.

Shouta

These three cases took my whole weekend, but it was totally worth it.

AAI2 is such a great game, although
maybe they kinda overdid it with ALL those connections and how basically EVERYTHING is tied together. I still love how they resolved Gregory's last case. Ever since PW:AA I wondered what kind of case that might have been.

It works though as it's a whole series of proper events rather than just a bunch of loosely connected ones. My biggest complaint with AA1-3 is that the overarching story is just a massive patchwork of stuff happening. Some of it was really going out there too. AAI2 felt tight and that it had a theme it focused on behind it giving the whole game a really intense feeling as you went through it.

It works though as it's a whole series of proper events rather than just a bunch of loosely connected ones. My biggest complaint with AA1-3 is that the overarching story is just a massive patchwork of stuff happening. Some of it was really going out there too. AAI2 felt tight and that it had a theme it focused on behind it giving the whole game a really intense feeling as you went through it.

Wasn't AA3 better in that regard, though?

Shouta

Wasn't AA3 better in that regard, though?

A bit but Case 2/3 didn't have much to do with the overall storyline as I recall. Case 1 and 4 are flashback cases that try and connect the points from the first two games together for the final case. While that's pretty good, I think AAI2 does the coherent, running narrative much better than AA3 does for it. It also allows it to be focused and to maintain a theme throughout it all.

A bit but Case 2/3 didn't have much to do with the overall storyline as I recall. Case 1 and 4 are flashback cases that try and connect the points from the first two games together for the final case. While that's pretty good, I think AAI2 does the coherent, running narrative much better than AA3 does for it. It also allows it to be focused and to maintain a theme throughout it all.

Well, I'd say that Case 2 is important because it introduces Godot, and Case 3 at least introduces a couple of things about him that were unknown before (can't see red, can see in the dark).

Honestly, the only case in the entire series that is pure filler is 2-3 (although 3-3 does come close), which probably compounds the problems people had with that case. It's basically a case in which you can ask, "What's the point?".

Fun fact: 2-3 is the only major case (with Phoenix as the playable character) in the original trilogy that has absolutely no spirit channelling involved. Funny how some people complain about the series approaching the supernatural too often when the only case that hasn't is regarded as the worst one in the entire series.

Fun fact: 2-3 is the only major case (with Phoenix as the playable character) in the original trilogy that has absolutely no spirit channelling involved. .

What about 2-1 or 1-5? I see what your saying and I understand where the complainers are coming from. You just can't have every case spirit channeling be at the center of the mystery/case. Like even though 3-2 and 3-3 have small traces of it they can easily be ignored with the central story and are only there because of the characters involved. Supernatural stuff is becoming more apparent as the series goes on (5-2 has been overbarring to me with it's supernatural appearance) and some people prefer more grounded on reality and logic to some of the magical stuff.

I can see how some people could really hate 2-2 because up until that point the spirit channeling stuff wasn't laid out in court and discussed. It was a gimmick for Maya and to help move certain aspects of the story in AA1 and then after 2-2 it kinda became a central story overlapping the series.

So after finally remembering to do so, I've watched the 2012 live action movie.

A one sentence review: Fun, with some really neat visual ideas, but clearly they struggled with the plotting and what they chose to take and drop from the game.

They had to cram most of AA1 into a movie, whilst still making sense. They also had to make an authentic AA experience. They also clearly wanted to highlight the dual nature of the game (bright, silly characters vs murders and deeds most foul).

This lead to a movie that is really oddball, with trippy moments, silly costumes and humour mixed with murders and dark motives, all crammed into a movie format that I don't think allowed for the slow-burn pacing that the game does so well. The characters are not really explored deeply, and the court scenes are over very quickly, so tension never really mounts.

Fundamentally, however, I like the movie as an experiement, even if it's a failed one. It does prove in my mind that a longer format - i.e. an animated series - would work a lot better.

What about 2-1 or 1-5? I see what your saying and I understand where the complainers are coming from. You just can't have every case spirit channeling be at the center of the mystery/case. Like even though 3-2 and 3-3 have small traces of it they can easily be ignored with the central story and are only there because of the characters involved. Supernatural stuff is becoming more apparent as the series goes on (5-2 has been overbarring to me with it's supernatural appearance) and some people prefer more grounded on reality and logic to some of the magical stuff.

I can see how some people could really hate 2-2 because up until that point the spirit channeling stuff wasn't laid out in court and discussed. It was a gimmick for Maya and to help move certain aspects of the story in AA1 and then after 2-2 it kinda became a central story overlapping the series.

2-1: Not a "major" case. I'm talking about cases that actually involved some investigation.
1-5: Not a part of the original trilogy. I also forget if Mia's ghost shows up briefly during it or not.

Shouta

Well, I'd say that Case 2 is important because it introduces Godot, and Case 3 at least introduces a couple of things about him that were unknown before (can't see red, can see in the dark).

Honestly, the only case in the entire series that is pure filler is 2-3 (although 3-3 does come close), which probably compounds the problems people had with that case. It's basically a case in which you can ask, "What's the point?".

Fun fact: 2-3 is the only major case (with Phoenix as the playable character) in the original trilogy that has absolutely no spirit channelling involved. Funny how some people complain about the series approaching the supernatural too often when the only case that hasn't is regarded as the worst one in the entire series.

Eh, introducing a char and introducing a few key elements for the last case isn't really worth spending the time doing the other stuff, IMO. But I was impressed to see that detail come up in the last case.

AAI2's cases were all story though and even the first case was really substantial, something that the PW-focused games usually just give up as a recap/warm-up case.

CorvoSol

Eh, introducing a char and introducing a few key elements for the last case isn't really worth spending the time doing the other stuff, IMO. But I was impressed to see that detail come up in the last case.

AAI2's cases were all story though and even the first case was really substantial, something that the PW-focused games usually just give up as a recap/warm-up case.

Well Investigations 2 also benefits from having come out after AA3. I'd argue that the point of the Mask!deMasque case was to be somewhat divorced from the overarching plot, though. Everything before and after it is very intense, but that case is to give the player some good, fun memories and not leave the whole game overbearingly dark, so to speak. I mean the next case revolves around body doubles, a poisoning case, people seeing things incorrectly, and the like. We also have Furio Tigre, who acts as something of a demonstration of what a man wholly given to anger is like. All of this comes back in the final case when we see
The two Dahlias, Dahlia the poisoner, Godot's inability to see red, Larry's incorrect sight of things, and the difference between the man Diego was and the man Godot is- given to hatred and anger.

Case 3-2 is a breather case, if you will.

Really, it's kind of odd that this doesn't exist.

I know, if Danganronpa can get a 12 episode anime why can't ace attorney. We even have official va for both Japanese and English version thanks to AA5. The games are even broken up perfectly to be adapted into anime with all the to be continued stuff.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finally finished Case 5 of AA1. Solid stuff, but I just snagged AA5 on 3DS and its hard to know I have three other games to plow through just to get going on it. I mean AA1 took over 25 hours to finish over the last several months(since the launch of HD trilogy on iOS). Hope Ema makes a return in later games, really dug her as a partner in that DS specific case.

Guess it will be 2015 before I can catch up at this rate. :( Very entertaining stuff though!

Justice for All is considered the weakest of the entire saga though right? About to dip in...

Frolow

Banned
Finally finished Case 5 of AA1. Solid stuff, but I just snagged AA5 on 3DS and its hard to know I have three other games to plow through just to get going on it. I mean AA1 took over 25 hours to finish over the last several months(since the launch of HD trilogy on iOS). Hope Ema makes a return in later games, really dug her as a partner in that DS specific case.

Guess it will be 2015 before I can catch up at this rate. :( Very entertaining stuff though!

Justice for All is considered the weakest of the entire saga though right? About to dip in...
Yeah, Justice for All is fairly weak game all around. However, it has what many people would consider the single bast case in the entire series with Case 4, so look forward to that.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I want to rebuild my collection, but 88 bucks is a bit much atm.

Kind of surprised that so many of the games go for ~$16 new on Amazon right now though. Was expecting Apollo Justice to be impossible to find. Debating snagging Justice for All and Trials and Tribs for DS just to complete the collection, but they look hideous compared to the high-res iOS trilogy port. When I started Case 5 of AA1 on iOS, I went back to DS to compare since I thought of playing the cartridge version as a purist, but man it looks absolutely dreadful blown up on 3DS. Whatever minor things are missing on iOS just can't compete with the glorious and crisp high-res art.

Frolow

Banned
Kind of surprised that so many of the games go for ~$16 new on Amazon right now though. Was expecting Apollo Justice to be impossible to find. Debating snagging Justice for All and Trials and Tribs for DS just to complete the collection, but they look hideous compared to the high-res iOS trilogy port. When I started Case 5 of AA1 on iOS, I went back to DS to compare since I thought of playing the cartridge version as a purist, but man it looks absolutely dreadful blown up on 3DS. Whatever minor things are missing on iOS just can't compete with the glorious and crisp high-res art.

There's your problem. Launch the games in the original resolution by holding Select when you boot up DS games.

Yeah, Justice for All is fairly weak game all around. However, it has what many people would consider the single bast case in the entire series with Case 4, so look forward to that.

JFA also introduces a lot of characters and ideas that are needed to fully enjoy the events of T&T. 2-4 is arguably the most shocking case in the franchise (Have not played AAI2 and only finished cases 1-3 of AA5 so subject to change)

Spoiler related AAI2 questions:
What was the purpose of the kid prosecutor in his dad's plans? Also, was the only reason the Judge was such an ass to Edgeworth in the first 4 cases to provoke him into a path that would take down the head of the prosecutorial committee and further her goals as well?

Writing these out, it feels like I misunderstood something significant while watching the translated version haha

dumbyugi

Spoiler related AAI2 questions:
What was the purpose of the kid prosecutor in his dad's plans? Also, was the only reason the Judge was such an ass to Edgeworth in the first 4 cases to provoke him into a path that would take down the head of the prosecutorial committee and further her goals as well?

Writing these out, it feels like I misunderstood something significant while watching the translated version haha

I don't think his motives were ever outright said but I think it implied that he was planning on using him as one of his pawns in the prosecutors office. His son would never question what his Dad said so he would have been easy to manipulate. As for the second question the answer is yes. She knew that if Edgeworth lost his badge that he would try to discover the truth behind the reason he lost his badge, which would likely lead him to discover the corruption in the prosecutorial committee.

Frolow

Banned
JFA also introduces a lot of characters and ideas that are needed to fully enjoy the events of T&T. 2-4 is arguably the most shocking case in the franchise (Have not played AAI2 and only finished cases 1-3 of AA5 so subject to change)

5-5 might take the cake for the most shocking now.

Playing a bit more of GK2-3.
OMG, DETECTIVE BADD. With less bullet holes in his coat no less. That's a nice surprise. Although... why does he have a thing against defense attorneys?

Tizoc

Refresh my memory but didn't Capcpom say that if AA5 sold well they would localize AAI2? Cuz I wouldn't mind getting it via the 3DS eShop.

FluxWaveZ

Refresh my memory but didn't Capcpom say that if AA5 sold well they would localize AAI2? Cuz I wouldn't mind getting it via the 3DS eShop.

I will 100% guarantee you that they have never, ever said this.

Plus, we don't know if AA5 sold well outside of Japan.

Tizoc

I will 100% guarantee you that they have never, ever said this.

Plus, we don't know if AA5 sold well outside of Japan.

My bad then, but a question about the English fan-translation: Would you say it invokes the same humorous tone as Capcom's localization of the past games?

Tizoc

Wicked, as is, only 2 cases got translated right? Will get them later and play through it within the next few days, I need more AA in my life now @o@

Tizoc

Just finished Case 1 of AAI2.
Translation is good, and I liked the overall plot of it, but could someone help in explaining
how I actually managed to reveal Knightly as the murderer? Truth be told I was a little sleepy by the time I finished the case so maybe some things flew by my head ^^;
I get he switched the guns, and I gotta prove it, one of the Press comments state that he had to have switched the bullets, but the closest evidence to that is the animation of him reloading his revolver, so how did I manage to convict him?
...and unless it's a translation error, you'd think the forensics team would tell me beforehand that the bullets had his fingerprints on them, seeing how they confirm immediatly after confronting Knightley about it.

Only way I see it making sense, is that the gun had to have 2 bullets in order to convict Nicole, Knightley fire 2 shoots and a 3rd that killed Rooke. So after getting inside the plane he replaced one of the bullets and killed Rooke with it.

Gonna start Case 2 today but after beating it...I'm gonna want more.

Also Shi Long Lang is the pimpest & most badass character in the series, how many do you know would remember the birthday of their subordinate's younger brother's wife's younger brother! Not only that but all his men are No. 1 to him!
AND THEM SHADES!

Just finished Case 1 of AAI2.
Translation is good, and I liked the overall plot of it, but could someone help in explaining
how I actually managed to reveal Knightly as the murderer? Truth be told I was a little sleepy by the time I finished the case so maybe some things flew by my head ^^;
I get he switched the guns, and I gotta prove it, one of the Press comments state that he had to have switched the bullets, but the closest evidence to that is the animation of him reloading his revolver, so how did I manage to convict him?
...and unless it's a translation error, you'd think the forensics team would tell me beforehand that the bullets had his fingerprints on them, seeing how they confirm immediatly after confronting Knightley about it.

Only way I see it making sense, is that the gun had to have 2 bullets in order to convict Nicole, Knightley fire 2 shoots and a 3rd that killed Rooke. So after getting inside the plane he replaced one of the bullets and killed Rooke with it.

Gonna start Case 2 today but after beating it...I'm gonna want more.

Also Shi Long Lang is the pimpest & most badass character in the series, how many do you know would remember the birthday of their subordinate's younger brother's wife's younger brother! Not only that but all his men are No. 1 to him!
AND THEM SHADES!

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly:

When Knightly has both guns, he swaps out the bullets in them behind his back so that the fingerprints are different from the ballistic markings when compared to the bullet that killed Rooke. Again, I don't really remember it all that well, but I would suggest reading the wiki.

Playing GK2-4.

Seeing
Franziska whipping Ichiyanagi
is one of the most satisfying things in game. Where were you 2 cases ago? Kind of sad
she doesn't whip Mikagami
, but I guess it's because
she has a thing for women
... I think.

Top Bottom