• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Vylash

I'm kind of excited for Layton vs. Wright, but skeptical at the same time. I have never played a Layton game either, but maybe this game will make me get into the series.

I'm pretty skeptical myself, only played the first Layton but I really didn't enjoy it, I'll still buy it of course, just hope the puzzles aren't too excessive

Fey

Banned
I just started replaying 1-3 and this dialogue.

Sprite-powers.gif

Maya: ...
Phoenix: What's wrong, Maya? It's him! In the flesh!
Maya: Umm...is that guy really him?
Phoenix: Whaddya mean "that guy"? Of course it's him! Will Powers, our client! That's him.
Maya: Umm...maybe I shouldn't be saying this...
But he definitely did it. Murder. At least once. Maybe twice.

I just started replaying 1-3 and this dialogue.

Sprite-powers.gif

Maya: ...
Phoenix: What's wrong, Maya? It's him! In the flesh!
Maya: Umm...is that guy really him?
Phoenix: Whaddya mean "that guy"? Of course it's him! Will Powers, our client! That's him.
Maya: Umm...maybe I shouldn't be saying this...
But he definitely did it. Murder. At least once. Maybe twice.
Poor Will, everyone misjudges him. :(

I'm glad he's become a recurring character in the series. I was so happy to see him in AAI2.

LX_Theo

Banned
Just finished Dual Destinies. Anyone know exactly what put the game over the top to get the M rating? It didn't feel like anything was such a big departure from what was there before to make the jump up to M.

Just finished Dual Destinies. Anyone know exactly what put the game over the top to get the M rating? It didn't feel like anything was such a big departure from what was there before to make the jump up to M.
I don't get it either. The only possible thing I can think of is
the giant pool of blood in Athena's dream, or maybe the picture of her as a child with blood splattered on her.
But I've seen much worse than that in T rated games.

I actually think Capcom purposely went for the M rating to make it seem edgy. It really does not merit it at all.

LX_Theo

Banned
I don't get it either. The only possible thing I can think of is
the giant pool of blood in Athena's dream, or maybe the picture of her as a child with blood splattered on her.
But I've seen much worse than that in T rated games.

I actually think Capcom purposely went for the M rating to make it seem edgy. It really does not merit it at all.

I originally thought it was going to be in the ending. There were points where I thought I saw people said the big thing was at the end.

When they started talking about
how there were assassins' ready to strike if the phantom's identity was confirmed
in the game, I was sure that they were go with that being the moment that caused it. But then
he doesn't even get hit in any vital points, so it didn't match up with my theory going into the moment
. Because,
if a man was shot dead in the middle of a court room (as would probably happen in the circumstances they set up)
, then I could see it being the pushed beyond to get an M rating. No, though. None of that.

It may well be just the more active demonstrations of the graphic natures of the crimes like you said. The new cutscenes sure allowed them to show much more in action. I'd also agree that it'd be a pretty weak reason if that was the case.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think it has anything to do with Capcom. It was rated CERO C in Japan and given a certain blog post from Capcom Unity, it doesn't seem like the localization team had any idea the ESRB would rate it M until late in the process.

Capcom Unity:
We also couldn’t predict that the ESRB was going to rate this game as “M”, not that it would’ve really factored much into the final decision because hey, you can have well-spoken criminals, too!

Hey, so I came here about a week ago after having just finished Dual Destinies, which was the first AA game I'd ever played.

I wanted more and asked which of the older DS games I should try, under the restriction that I only wanted to play one more. GSR suggested I give the first game a try.

So I did, and I finished it, and... I still want more!

So here's my question... the logical thing to do now would be to play AA2, but everyone says that's the weakest entry in the series. If I play AA2, and I get bored midway through, I probably won't ever be motivated enough to try AA4 or Investigations.

So, what should I play next? Can I skip directly to AA3? Alternately, if AA3 and AA2 are just too connected, should I try AA4?

dumbyugi

Hey, so I came here about a week ago after having just finished Dual Destinies, which was the first AA game I'd ever played.

I wanted more and asked which of the older DS games I should try, under the restriction that I only wanted to play one more. GSR suggested I give the first game a try.

So here's my question... the logical thing to do now would be to play AA2, but everyone says that's the weakest entry in the series. If I play AA2, and I get bored midway through, I probably won't ever be motivated enough to try AA4 or Investigations.

So, what should I play next? Can I skip directly to AA3? Alternately, if AA3 and AA2 are just too connected, should I try AA4?

AA2 is worth playing. It has one of the worst cases in the series but it also has one of the best cases. The connection between 2 and 3 is big enough that I wouldn't suggest skipping straight to 3.

LX_Theo

Banned

All of them are worth playing. Weakest means very little, since the strength of each game is more down to the strength of each case. Every case has its strengths and weaknesses, rather than the whole game. NONE of them are bad enough that a person who likes the series will be bored enough to stop playing.

Speaking of which, who else thinks this series work being episodic like The Walking Dead

Vylash

Go ahead and try AA2, it has an atrocious third case but you'll forget all about that by the time you finish the fourth case, plus it introduces 3 very important characters that play big roles in the next game, so it's best to not skip

I don't think it has anything to do with Capcom. It was rated CERO C in Japan and given a certain blog post from Capcom Unity, it doesn't seem like the localization team had any idea the ESRB would rate it M until late in the process.

Capcom Unity:
They could of appealed the rating though, but they didn't. I still think they thought the M rating would help the game stand out. It really doesn't deserve it in anyway.

Don't skip games, especially in the original trilogy. AA2 is still a wonderful experience.

Frolow

Banned
Some rumors about AA6 from /v/. It's from 4chan of course so take it with a massive grain of salt, but the guy seems reputable and the info itself isn't all that outlandish.

-AA6 will be revealed at TGS, hoping for an April 2015 release.
-They want to do a Worldwide release as well. They're upset about AA5 spoilers getting leaked before the English release.
-Capcom is happy about AA5's sucess Overseas. Will probably be Digital only and $30 again, but nothing is set in stone.
-The three character dynamic returns.
-5 Cases. 1/4/5 are connected while 2/3 is the usual stuff.
-Dual Destinies is intended to be the start of a new trilogy
-AA6 will cover some of the stuff not explained in AA5
-
Apollo's Mother
from AJ will be an extremely important plotpoint.
-They're aiming for the mysteries to be a bit more serious, taking inspiration from police fiction like The Wire.
-Edgeworth, Trucy, and Pearl are returning.
-Ema and Gumshoe are the main detectives of the game. When they talk together a mix of both their themes is played. They're always in two-sided rooms and their music will switch to their respective themes one talking to one or the other.

Here's a screencap of the posts. There's some Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies spoilers, however.
http://i.imgur.com/vvN5LQk.png

789shadow

Banned
Some rumors about AA6 from /v/. It's from 4chan of course so take it with a massive grain of salt, but the guy seems reputable and the info itself isn't all that outlandish.

-AA6 will be revealed at TGS, hoping for an April 2015 release.
-They want to do a Worldwide release as well. They're upset about AA5 spoilers getting leaked before the English release.
-Capcom is happy about AA5's sucess Overseas. Will probably be Digital only and $30 again, but nothing is set in stone.
-The three character dynamic returns.
-5 Cases. 1/4/5 are connected while 2/3 is the usual stuff.
-Dual Destinies is intended to be the start of a new trilogy
-AA6 will cover some of the stuff not explained in AA5
-
Apollo's Mother
from AJ will be an extremely important plotpoint.
-They're aiming for the mysteries to be a bit more serious, taking inspiration from police fiction like The Wire.
-Edgeworth, Trucy, and Pearl are returning.
-Ema and Gumshoe are the main detectives of the game. When they talk together a mix of both their themes is played. They're always in two-sided rooms and their music will switch to their respective themes one talking to one or the other.

Here's a screencap of the posts. There's some Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies spoilers, however.
http://i.imgur.com/vvN5LQk.png
This guy could have no idea what he's talking about, but it's all very possible.

DaBoss

Wow, that all sounds really cool...

...except one thing. I wish they would drop the whole Case 1/4/5 thing are related layout. They did it in AA3, which was fantastic. In AA5 it was also nice, though the line between Case 4 and 5 wasn't very clear. And now they are going to do it for a third time. :/

The part that has me most suspicious is the reference to North American police dramas. Ace Attorney is pretty much as Japanese as it gets (the games are extremely thinly-veiled criticisms of the Japanese court system) and has been since its inception, so why would they suddenly change that approach? And even if it just means crime dramas in geneal, why single out The Wire, possibly the most American crime drama on TV, in particular when there are plenty of perfectly good Asian shows that would make for more likely candidates? You're going to need a sharper blade than that, Anon-dono.

tumblr_mw247aL4si1s306rao1_500.gif

I agree that
Trucy and Apollo should find out
but once that happens those ends are tied. Unless they
have Lamiroir get murdered and reveal she was involved in some important case so and so years ago even though that wouldn't really make any sense
there's not really anything else you can do with that, let alone as a central plot point.

I agree that
Trucy and Apollo should find out
but once that happens those ends are tied. Unless they
have Lamiroir get murdered and reveal she was involved in some important case so and so years ago even though that wouldn't really make any sense
there's not really anything else you can do with that, let alone as a central plot point.

That would be way too similar to the events of 3-5.

Preferably, she could be a witness or a defendant, and have
Trucy and Apollo work together to solve the case. Along the way they learn the truth.

That leak is probably BS. There's no way Gumshoe could survive for seven years on his shoestring wage without either quitting or starving to death.

Not entirely serious here.

I'd predict a return of either Gumshoe or Maya in AA6 but not both. They suffered from too many character syndrome in AA5, if they add in too much more backstory weight they'll end up doing a SHIELD and preventing anyone from getting enough screen time.

789shadow

Banned
That leak is probably BS. There's no way Gumshoe could survive for seven years on his shoestring wage without either quitting or starving to death.

Not entirely serious here.

I'd predict a return of either Gumshoe or Maya in AA6 but not both. They suffered from too many character syndrome in AA5, if they add in too much more backstory weight they'll end up doing a SHIELD and preventing anyone from getting enough screen time.
Edgeworth gave him a raise at the end of AAI2.

Well if it is gonna be a planned trilogy and Maya isn't in AA6 then I can definitely see them alluding to her more and then finally bring her back for AA7 to really build up the suspense.

Frolow

Banned
Pseudo-update on the AAI2 fan translation:
Hi everybody,
after a while of silence we are back and with good news.
Work on this game are still on progress but I have a little struggle with the group about releases of patches so I am here to make a poll to see what people think and make a democratic decision.

Before you proceed to the vote, please read the warnings here:

Case 1/2 should be corrected and if my informations are not wrong, the voices reported problems should be better now.

Case 3 has been inserted and tested. The only thing not done here are the voices; they are still in japanese (if a character was not present on case 1/2).

Case 4 insertion has been completed some days ago and first beta testers are playing it right now. Here as well the voices are still in japanese (for characters not present in case 1/2)
I don't consider this a spoiler so no warning here but case 4 and 5 are connected and storically are just a view hours from each others making a release of case 3+4 a lot illogical.

So, some people are pressing to release case 3 now even if with the voices still in japanese.
I don't want to release an incomplete work.

My idea is to not release a patch before (estimated) summer break and it would be a case 1-5 beta with english voices. So that you people can enjoy the game so has we (at least the less impatient and perfectionists in the group) meant you to play it while summer break.

I will make the poll run till saturday 25 and only 1 choice is possible.
All choices naturally include the corrected case 1/2 patch.

I have been informed to be more clear with what choices means what in term of actual release date.
-Case3 (japanese voices) > just need the time to upload the patch

-Case 3 (english voices) > it's difficult to say. HanOnimous is busy but has proposed me to bring somebody else in to do his job but we have to recolled and poll the voices so i would say 1-2months from now.

-Case 3-4 (japanese voices) > it's looking same as case 3 (jp). Some testers actually already played it without problems but let's give it 2/3 weeks to let more people test it.

-Case 3-4 (english voices) > the same apply as case 3 (eng)

-Case 3-5 (both) > I am maybe optimistic but July/August/September and actually HanOnimous is free again im August.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/ace-attorney-investigation-2-patch-release-poll.360631/

Fucking hell.

I honestly wouldn't give a shit if they're digital only from now on. I was disappointed when AA5 going that way was first announced but after beating and thoroughly enjoying it I really don't care and am just glad I didn't let that get in the way of me playing the game.

Between the way we got Ace Attorney 5 and the way we got Investigations 2 I'll go digital only every time if that's what it takes.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I honestly wouldn't give a shit if they're digital only from now on. I was disappointed when AA5 going that way was first announced but after beating and thoroughly enjoying it I really don't care and am just glad I didn't let that get in the way of me playing the game.

Between the way we got Ace Attorney 5 and the way we got Investigations 2 I'll go digital only every time if that's what it takes.

Fuck no.

I didn't let that get in the way of me playing the game either. I still supported the series and bought the game digitally. At the same time, people need to stop believing the force fed bullshit of Capcom saying "this is the only way we'd bring it to the states." No. The correct statement is, "this is the cheapest way we can bring this to the states," and their penny-pinching, anti-consumer bullshit continues to be unacceptable.

I'll complain every time because of Nintendo's godawful digital platform.

The correct statement is, "this is the cheapest way we can bring this to the states,"

Of course it's them being cheap. But if it's the difference between them releasing the game outside Japan or not, "we can't do it" and "we could do it but will make more money doing it this way and won't bother otherwise" is irrelevant.

Evidence is everything in court and we simply need to compare Investigations 2 and Ace Attorney 5.

Top Bottom