• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Of course it's them being cheap. But if it's the difference between them releasing the game outside Japan or not, "we can't do it" and "we could do it but will make more money doing it this way and won't bother otherwise" is irrelevant.

Evidence is everything in court and we simply need to compare Investigations 2 and Ace Attorney 5.

Investigations 2 isn't a mainline title. I don't think it's a fair comparison.

But rather than go through this song and dance again, I'll just say that I will be incredibly disappointed with Capcom if they decide to continue this second-tier digital only designation of Ace Attorney titles. Hell, even Level5 has the decency to release a physical version of AA vs. Professor Layton. If they release AA6 digital only, I'll buy it because I have no other choice if I want to play it. If they release AA6 physically, I'd probably buy 5+ copies for friends.

But then again, it's been a long time since I haven't' been disappointed by Capcom, so I suppose it's pretty standard.

Done with Investigations! Overall I really liked it, actually. Maybe I'll go into more in depth impressions of it later if I feel like thinking back on it, but I thought the changes it brought to the formula were well handled, the presentation was really good and either the last case wasn't as bad as it's hyped up to be or I'm a freak weirdo. Main complaint would be that there weren't as many great new characters as other Ace Attorney games, but some of the better ones, like Yew, joined my series favorites.

no more ace attorney left to play :(

anyways guess I should play Ghost Trick now

OKAY OKAY GOD I'M PLAYING IT SHEESH

i just finished the tutorial mission and i don't really think there's anything about it i don't think is great so far. the music, the presentation, the story, the characters... all pretty rad

DaBoss

Ghost Trick is amazing, except that one (spoiler has what kind of section it is, not really sure if it is a spoiler, but will put it as a spoiler just in case)
stealth
part. That will make you really frustrated.

FluxWaveZ

KlMn6Aom.png

DaBoss

So...how much of Ace Attorney (and Zero Escape, I think there is a large crossover between the two) GAF are going to get Danganronpa: THH?

It looks really interesting and I may either get it at launch, or a week after depending on how my uni schedule goes.

FluxWaveZ

Seems there's a fair amount of cross over between AA fans and those getting Danganronpa. I'll be getting it on day 1.

Not too sure what to expect from it since I've intentionally avoided a lot about the game. Hope it's a fun time.

GSR

So...how much of Ace Attorney (and Zero Escape, I think there is a large crossover between the two) GAF are going to get Danganronpa: THH?

It looks really interesting and I may either get it at launch, or a week after depending on how my uni schedule goes.

I might actually pick up a copy to support the series even though I don't have a Vita yet, haha.

It's a really fun series. The second game surpasses the first in just about every way except maybe atmosphere, but the first game is still pretty good, and the second builds off it.

I'm most certainly getting it. Should be a dang good romp-a.

I'm so, so sorry.

rekameohs

Banned
Done with Investigations! Overall I really liked it, actually. Maybe I'll go into more in depth impressions of it later if I feel like thinking back on it, but I thought the changes it brought to the formula were well handled, the presentation was really good and either the last case wasn't as bad as it's hyped up to be or I'm a freak weirdo. Main complaint would be that there weren't as many great new characters as other Ace Attorney games, but some of the better ones, like Yew, joined my series favorites.

no more ace attorney left to play :(

anyways guess I should play Ghost Trick now

I liked the final case of Investigations quite a bit until the real villain revealed themselves, and taking them down was more tiring than other villains in the series, in my opinion.

Already got it preordered (not something I usually do but managed to get a fiver off so figured I might as well). Sounds interesting and I'm happy to have something else to play on my Vita (though it's been a decent few months run in that regard with Tearaway and Ys then Danganronpa and FFX/X-2 HD).

holy SHIT ghost trick is so good why didn't i play it sooner

I liked the final case of Investigations quite a bit until the real villain revealed themselves, and taking them down was more tiring than other villains in the series, in my opinion.

Maybe it's because I knew what to expect due to all the hype the big bad got, but really, that part didn't end up bothering me all that much. It really didn't even wear on me that much compared to some other villains in the series. I guess I'll just consider myself lucky.

I see no reason why a fan of the Ace Attorney series shouldn't also enjoy Danganronpa, unless they REALLY can't handle some Japanese tropes (dunno how to put this this into words... some may say "anime-ness" but I don't really like describing things that way).

The cases aren't as well done or clever as those of pretty much any Ace Attorney (imo), but everything about the game is still extremely enjoyable and I highly recommend it.

It's a really fun series. The second game surpasses the first in just about every way except maybe atmosphere, but the first game is still pretty good, and the second builds off it.

also the above is the truth.

Played the first on PSP, liked the writing but thought the actual game mechanics kinda sucked especially in court. It's a perfect example of why I always say "the more gameplay a VN has the less fun it is to play". While I feel like ZE's puzzle rooms bring the pacing to a halt they always manage to hide little hints and character development amongst the puzzles/clues. DR's court section on the other hand suck, the action and rhythm sections do nothing for me and just waste my time and keep me from the story for no good reason. Yeah the music is awesome during these sections but my murder mystery puzzle game should focus on the murder mystery, then the puzzle, and not have a damn part where I need to keep the rhythm or shoot away distractions to advance.

GSR

So, think it's too soon to start brainstorming OT titles for PLvsPW?

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney |OT| Magical Mystery Metchsteek
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney |OT| This Reminds Me of an Objection

Shame the official title's so long, it cuts down on the OT names.

I don't think so. Isn't the EU release a month and a half away? But it might be too soon for an OT. There isn't already one for the JP release?

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney |OT| This Reminds Me of an Objection

I like this one.

FleenerW

Another vote for this one.

Omikaru

I support this one.

I take it your OT will be up in time for the PAL release, should the US version not have a release date by the end of next month? Or will the OT be centred around the US version?

GSR

I support this one.

I take it your OT will be up in time for the PAL release, should the US version not have a release date by the end of next month? Or will the OT be centred around the US version?

Technically I"m not actually signed up for the OP, though it looks like I'll probably wind up doing it. And yeah, it'd be for the PAL release.

Also, I just realized I never posted about it here: Court-Records has been holding its second ever spriting competition, and voting closes tomorrow. If you're interested in some pretty great fanmade sprites, give it a look!

FluxWaveZ

Seems like our good old friend Shu Takumi's returned to the main series.

ku-xlarge.jpg

"Ace Attorney: a New Project Begins" from the Nintendo Direct Japanese stream, they apparently confirmed a new AA game directed by Shu Takumi.

3DS game that'll apparently be different from the previous games in the series. Here's the Kotaku article on it.

No word on when it will come out or if it will be released outside of Japan.

Heheh.

Shu Takumi = all of my yes. I hope this one'll get a digital release in light of AA5's success, though.

Oh, who am I kidding; this is Capcpom. We'll be lucky if they manage to spell the game right in their press releases.

The Nintendo Direct also had footage of the AA1-3 3DS port. The animations are the same as the iOS version, with missing frames and overall choppiness. Looks worse with pixelated art too.

I'd love to support if it comes stateside but not like this.

The Nintendo Direct also had footage of the AA1-3 3DS port. The animations are the same as the iOS version, with missing frames and overall choppiness. Looks worse with pixelated art too.

I'd love to support if it comes stateside but not like this.

Ugh. I'd be better off just buying the 3rd game at the same price for the DS.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Have been on the fence forever about getting Ace5 on the eshop.

Today I decided to hold out, and instead ordered the first game on amazon. So I'll try to play them in order as much as possible.

Which games, if any, can I skip before playing 5?

Have been on the fence forever about getting Ace5 on the eshop.

Today I decided to hold out, and instead ordered the first game on amazon. So I'll try to play them in order as much as possible.

Which games, if any, can I skip before playing 5?

The only one you could skip are the miles edgeworth games (AAI1 and AAI2) you should play AA1-5 in order

Miker

Shu Takumi fan reporting.

I looked him up on wiki the other day and saw that he worked on Resident Evil 2 (must've been how he met Kamiya), was main planner for Dino Crisis, and even directed Dino Crisis 2. Would definitely not have guessed that given I only knew him from AA/Ghost Trick.

FluxWaveZ

I'm still thinking about it and I don't know how I feel about Shu Takumi's AA thing being "completely different from the previous games in the series." Man, I want to know what that entails.

Even the first spin-off, Investigations, isn't really "completely different" than the previous games. There's still investigation scenes where you gather evidence and interrogate people, along with an assistant. There are still cross-examinations, pressing people's statements for more information and presenting contradicting evidence. That's basically what the core of the series is, right? Even though it doesn't take place in a courtroom and there's no judge, defendant, defense or prosecutor, it still has the overall vibe of what we've come to know from AA.

Does "completely different" mean it will deal with something way different than those core elements? Or does it mean that those core elements will be dealt with, but in a significantly different matter? And if it's the latter, how?

...Could have given us a logo or something.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Currently playing through the series. I beat 1 & 2 before, but never got to 3 for some reason. Now I'm at the 4th case of T&T. I'm trying to play as much of the series before DkS II comes out, and I'm hoping I can squeeze in AJ as well.
Favorite cases so far: Steel Samurai, Turnabout goodbyes, Matt Engarde case (maybe best overall) and the Trés bien case in T&T.

n2DtVTG.gif

There was some pretty good comedy in this one, overall a very fun case to play.

Currently don't have the Miles Edgeworth game, but I'm considering getting that as well after I finish the main series. AA5 being at a discount now was excellent timing, downloaded without hesitation.

It's unfortunate though that just by reading the premise for AJ, I know that
Wright loses his badge, so some serious shit is going down in the final case of T&T
So at least that is spoiled for me :/

Now playing the second flashback in T&T. Can't wait to begin that final case.

It's unfortunate though that just by reading the premise for AJ, I know that
Wright loses his badge, so some serious shit is going down in the final case of T&T
So at least that is spoiled for me :/

That particular event happens between games and is explored in Ace Attorney 4. It's got nothing to do with Trials and Tribulations.

Top Bottom