• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat Infinity |OT| You are cleared to engage.

deim0s

I'm down on the 7th.

I'd pay a bit for an extended Supplied Fuel Tank.

Say, 6 units instead of 3. This would mean that I play every second or third day, but for a longer time. 3 units of supplied fuel is barely enough to get warmed up.

I agree.

mcz117chief

Fyi. Morgan lvl 3 gives the nickname "Blazing Light"

Also, bought Eagle but still not worth it, Hornet is pretty much as good in air to air as the Eagle but a lot better in air to ground :/
They really need to do something with the fighters.

Meneses

I think I have the Hornet ready for research, I assume it would be the natural upgrade to the Phantom?

I'm thinking about buying it, since Phantom upgrades became too expensive now (I paid 275k for lvl 6, if i'm not mistaken)

mcz117chief

I think I have the Hornet ready for research, I assume it would be the natural upgrade to the Phantom?

I'm thinking about buying it, since Phantom upgrades became too expensive now (I paid 275k for lvl 6, if i'm not mistaken)

I paid the 275k too but I must say I regret it a little bit, that is just WAY too much for so little.

Meneses

I paid the 275k too but I must say I regret it a little bit, that is just WAY too much for so little.

Same here. I think lvl 5 is the sweet spot for that plane at the stage we're at, it's a huge investment to get it lvl 6.

That is, assuming the Hornet can properly replace it, as I think it will.

mcz117chief

Same here. I think lvl 5 is the sweet spot for that plane at the stage we're at, it's a huge investment to get it lvl 6.

That is, assuming the Hornet can properly replace it, as I think it will.

totally does. I am now focusing on getting Strike Eagle, because that might be even better :)

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Fighters are faster, and that is one of the most important aspects in this game. If you get to the target 1st then you usually score it too. Also, fighters deal more damage to planes and attackers more damage to ground targets.

Research is random, I am pretty sure about that.
The game is absolutely a grind. I love it because the game is dope but it is what it is.

About fighters being faster though... They're not THAT much faster. The F-18E is basically the mig and the harrier slapped together. I get its supposed to be all purpose but it's too all purpose. They hit everything hard as hell. They're typically more than fast enough to be effective in A2A focused situations. Compared to how attackers are good for just A2G and not much else... It's just worrisome how effective they are.

And yeah, research is random, true, but you can funnel it by blocking off development paths. By opting to not purchase upgrades, parts, etc you can push research where you want. Just gotta be careful and remember to open paths up once you hit a wall so you don't waste progression.

mcz117chief

The game is absolutely a grind. I love it because the game is dope but it is what it is.

About fighters being faster though... They're not THAT much faster. The F-18E is basically the mig and the harrier slapped together. I get its supposed to be all purpose but it's too all purpose. They hit everything hard as hell. They're typically more than fast enough to be effective in A2A focused situations. Compared to how attackers are good for just A2G and not much else... It's just worrisome how effective they are.

And yeah, research is random, true, but you can funnel it by blocking off development paths. By opting to not purchase upgrades, parts, etc you can push research where you want. Just gotta be careful and remember to open paths up once you hit a wall so you don't waste progression.

I know the game is a grind I just don't feel it while playing it. I am not playing only thinking "gee, I really want to unlock that plane so I have to slug through 20 matches, ugh."

Yeah, I agree that multiroles are a bit too good but that is the problem of the maps because EVERY map (except Aigaion) is a mixed operation. If they were to make air only missions (with a couple of ships or ground targets) then fighters would serve greater purpose. Attackers are also a good choice, because there is an abundance of ground targets on every mission so far.

Yeah, the grind is already noticible even early on. Earlier in the thread, the amount of ranks mentioned included at each named rank is pretty nuts.

I like the actual gameplay, it's pretty damn great, but the content unlocks at such a snail's pace that I can see myself getting frustrated past the initial grace period prettttttty quick.

It's unfortunate because I am a sucker for this series, but I don't see myself sticking to it unless we get some proper PVP and/or a slightly less ridiculous grind. And I doubt the latter will happen.

mcz117chief

Yeah, the grind is already noticible even early on. Earlier in the thread, the amount of ranks mentioned included at each named rank is pretty nuts.

I like the actual gameplay, it's pretty damn great, but the content unlocks at such a snail's pace that I can see myself getting frustrated past the initial grace period prettttttty quick.

It's unfortunate because I am a sucker for this series, but I don't see myself sticking to it unless we get some proper PVP and/or a slightly less ridiculous grind. And I doubt the latter will happen.

Pro tip: don't focus on the grind. Play the game and enjoy it and consider the unlocks as an extra bonus. Tell me, do you play the game for the grind or for the gameplay ?

The gameplay in this game is so f***** good I wouldn't mind 10x as much grind.

deim0s

Did JP get features or modes already or did it launch the same time with us?

They'd better start adding new stuff to the game quick.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I haven't been able to play since like thursday, I'm really missing out on all the fun ;___;

I swear I might just buy the elite pack and binge on this game for this upcoming weekend.

mcz117chief

Did JP get features or modes already or did it launch the same time with us?

They'd better start adding new stuff to the game quick.

same features but launched a week earlier and don't worry, new campaign missions are on the way and that means more multiplayer ones too.

I am SO looking forward to Belkan Priority One Strategic Airspace B7R, also knows as the Round Table.... I'm so excited...I just might scream ! This will hopefully be pure air-to-air mission since there never was a single ground vehicle in any of the missions that took place here.

Pro tip: don't focus on the grind. Play the game and enjoy it and consider the unlocks as an extra bonus. Tell me, do you play the game for the grind or for the gameplay ?

The gameplay in this game is so f***** good I wouldn't mind 10x as much grind.

Dude, I'm not averse to unlocking things, grinding or anything, but this sounds a bit like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

You're right, the game has very solid, very fun gameplay.

That said, progression is ridiculously obtuse, aggravating and artificially lengthened for the sake of pushing monetization.

And unfortunately unlocks aren't just a bonus, considering they're directly tied to match performance. This is F2P done wrong on a base game that's otherwise extremely fun. There are countless examples of this, (MechWarrior Online is another good one) and it's really unfortunate.

I like the concept here, but it's lacking in enough variety to justify it's current pacing and it's lacking in sufficient reasons to make me want to spend money on it. So it occupies some sort of bizarre limbo where it feels more like a week or two's distraction rather than something I'd suggest people get waist deep in.

I'm glad you can overlook that problem, though, and that you're enjoying it.

mcz117chief

Dude, I'm not averse to unlocking things, grinding or anything, but this sounds a bit like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

It is not a Stockholm Syndrome. Stockholm Syndrome is when you don't really enjoy the game but because there is this dangling carrot right in front of you, you push on = most mmorgps.

This game, however, has managed to do the most important thing, make the gameplay perfect. With that, this game could have 2 maps and 3 planes and I would still play it like crazy.

Also, the slow unlock pace gives me the chance to really try out all the planes and find their potential.

Meneses

Just had a Aerospace Center mission where I had 47k points, my highest yet, with the Phantom.

Felt pretty good.

dubc35

I am now also a victim of the host closing the room on a moby dick mission. :(. I doubt we would have been able to pull it off based on the previous scores though. I was highest on my team, 2nd overall with 16.5k in an F-16C.

Aquila

Totally forgot that the 3 invite challenge expired tonight. Anybody online and want to get that and the comona emblem out of the way?

Rizing

Neo Member
Is the A-10 or F-15C worth it?
Im currently using the Tomcat (lvl 4) as my fighter with Harrier II (lvl 2) as my Attacker..

My primary concern is with the Harrier. I get much more points and sometimes make MVP but the air-to-air leaves much to be desired especially during mission updates where we gotta go take on a bunch of F-22s or T-50s.

Everyone is up there having a blast and I'm just there flying low picking off hovercrafts and tanks because I cant even keep up or all of my efforts are squandered when the enemy plane i hit with about four missiles gets shot down by another.

mcz117chief

Is the A-10 or F-15C worth it?
Im currently using the Tomcat (lvl 4) as my fighter with Harrier II (lvl 2) as my Attacker..

My primary concern is with the Harrier. I get much more points and sometimes make MVP but the air-to-air leaves much to be desired especially during mission updates where we gotta go take on a bunch of F-22s or T-50s.

Everyone is up there having a blast and I'm just there flying low picking off hovercrafts and tanks because I cant even keep up or all of my efforts are squandered when the enemy plane i hit with about four missiles gets shot down by another.

F-15c is a fighter, so so far it has a very limited use. A-10 is an atacker so it can be used in every mission and it comes equiped with FAE bombs which is totally insane, on Dubai you can clear almost the whole map alone with those.

So far, I only use fighters for the Aigaion mission since all the other missions are mixed battles. But you can never go wrong with attacker either since there is an abundance of ground targets in every mission.

Hopefully, B7R will be purely air-to-air mission, so we will have a reason to use our fighters more.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I used to fly bombers on Moby Dick-ish missions in older ACs. Dropping UGBs and FAEs on aerial bosses was lol

Rizing

Neo Member
F-15c is a fighter, so so far it has a very limited use. A-10 is an atacker so it can be used in every mission and it comes equiped with FAE bombs which is totally insane, on Dubai you can clear almost the whole map alone with those.

So far, I only use fighters for the Aigaion mission since all the other missions are mixed battles. But you can never go wrong with attacker either since there is an abundance of ground targets in every mission.

Hopefully, B7R will be purely air-to-air mission, so we will have a reason to use our fighters more.

Looks like I'll go the A-10 route.
I think you said earlier in the thread on it was like 205k?

Also everyone, I finally saw someone with just 926. Didnt think that was possible.

mcz117chief

There's a new patch/update (1.01) any news on its contents?

Hopefully we will get Belkan Priorty One Strategic Airspace B7R, but in this game it will be called something dumb like Nevada B7R or whatever, still, I hope we will be able to take our fighters for a spin on that map.

Or do you guys think it is too early for content update ?

Also, don't forget about the tournament. And the 19th anniversary of the most important event in the Ace Combat history.

I really wish this was on PS4, would make the F2P slightly less of a pain as you can have netflix and the web browser open at the same time and such.

anyone have a decent shot of
Edge's
portrait.
could use it for an avatar im working on down the line.

Top Bottom