• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat Infinity |OT| You are cleared to engage.

Is the 20 fuel challenge repeatable? I'd be happy to pay for the campaign if it is. Otherwise I just can't justify spending any money on this game right now. I refuse to ever buy non-permanent consumables in any f2p game, and I mainly just want the option to play more multiplayer in Infinity without paying more than once.

It's a pity because AC:I has some great gameplay at its core ( despite the fairly limited amount of content) and I've enjoyed playing it for these past couple of weeks. I have hit the wall of running out of supplied fuel for the past few days and I'm not sure if I can be bothered to keep playing now.

Is the 20 fuel challenge repeatable? I'd be happy to pay for the campaign if it is. Otherwise I just can't justify spending any money on this game right now. I refuse to ever buy non-permanent consumables in any f2p game, and I mainly just want the option to play more multiplayer in Infinity without paying more than once.
My challenge hasn't reactivated and its been slightly over a week.

Aerocrane

There should be a timer if it can repeated. I guess Namco Bandai don't want to take my money then :(

They want your money really badly, that's why so many classic Namco franchises have gone free to play. If you aren't a paying player you probably won't even make it to the top 10k in the tournaments they have. It is a bit sad, but wait to play is the way Namco does their free to play games.

They want your money really badly, that's why so many classic Namco franchises have gone free to play. If you aren't a paying player you probably won't even make it to the top 10k in the tournaments they have. It is a bit sad, but wait to play is the way Namco does their free to play games.

The thing is that I'm not bothered about competing in tournaments or anything like that, I'm just pissed I can't play at my own pace due to the awful browser strategy game style recharge system. I'm still never buying consumables for this kind of thing on principle, yet I'd happily spend money if they had a f2p system that felt rewarding, rather than a means to avoid punishment.

There's many other f2p games that are successful without resorting to underhand tactics and I genuinely believe AC:I could be more profitable if it adopted a different model.

Naked Lunch

The thing is that I'm not bothered about competing in tournaments or anything like that, I'm just pissed I can't play at my own pace due to the awful browser strategy game style recharge system. I'm still never buying consumables for this kind of thing on principle, yet I'd happily spend money if they had a f2p system that felt rewarding, rather than a means to avoid punishment.

There's many other f2p games that are successful without resorting to underhand tactics and I genuinely believe AC:I could be more profitable if it adopted a different model.
Theres tons of ingame challenges that reward fuel. Some of these challenges reappear quite often. Plus, I seem to get fuel in post game item drops all the time. Its not as bad as you think. The problem with the game is they expect you to play the same five missions over and over. It got boring fast.

mcz117chief

No, it wouldn't be more profitable. If you have an extremely loyal player base which has absolutely nowhere else to go then they will pay ANYTHING to play the game. Hell, the moment I started the game I have spent about 50$ right away for all the various packs but I got my money's worth, I have clocked over 50 hours and played around 250 games. Ace Combat players have always been whales, not fish, we will spend hundreds of dollars and we will be there to spend another hundred a few months later.

No, it wouldn't be more profitable. If you have an extremely loyal player base which has absolutely nowhere else to go then they will pay ANYTHING to play the game. Hell, the moment I started the game I have spent about 50$ right away for all the various packs but I got my money's worth, I have clocked over 50 hours and played around 250 games. Ace Combat players have always been whales, not fish, we will spend hundreds of dollars and we will be there to spend another hundred a few months later.
I still feel that if a few systems in the game are changed then the player retention could be greatly improved, leading to much higher potential revenues in the long term. There can still be plenty of things for whales to splash out on, but as a baseline, players should never be prevented from playing for free in an f2p game (waiting for fuel in this case). The only time I've ever played Ace Combat, before this, was once at a friends house around 10 years ago, so the fact that I've even given this version a try shows that the series still has the potential to expand its audience.

This is my opinion of course, but I really believe there's a number of things that can be done to change the game for the better. First of all, supplied fuel should be infinite. This can be compensated for in a number of ways via altering its usefulness in relation to stocked fuel, and by making stocked fuel feel like a rewarding purchase (rather than a means to avoid punishment, which it is currently). In this proposed system, mission rewards for using supplied fuel should be less than it is currently; I'm thinking something in the region of earning around half or a third of the number of credits. The drop rate of rare items after missions should be much lower, and finding any stocked fuel should be a very rare event. Current challenges will have to be altered as well to reduce the number with stocked fuel rewards. Naturally, you won't be able to use multiple supplied fuel before a mission for bonus rewards as well

Stocked fuel on the other hand should be relatively much more effective at producing rewards. If stocked fuel produced double the number of credits compared to the current mission rewards (and we use the example of half credits for supplied fuel) then stocked fuel will give 4X the number of credits from supplied fuel. When you consider this potentially provides a 12X credit multiplier if you use 3 stocked fuel in a mission then this provides players with a very good incentive to still buy stocked. When Moby Dick 2 shows up, that's going to be a massive carrot in front of the player to make a quick impulse fuel purchase. Higher probability of rare rewards, plus even more research relative to supplied, would make stocked feel like a worthwhile purchase.

In terms of other monetisation opportunities, more aesthetic customisation options on the PS Store would be a good direction to go as it's proved very successful in many other f2p games. This could include skins for planes, nicknames and logos. Going even further, you could have a rent-a-plane option, where you could pay for early access of a higher level aircraft before you unlock it, perhaps for a day or 2 at a time.

Your ideas are really good. I am still wondering why the hell Scamco isnt selling skins for planes already.

I still think the game f2p model is geared toward the Japanese market.

mcz117chief

Your ideas are really good. I am still wondering why the hell Scamco isnt selling skins for planes already.

I still think the game f2p model is geared toward the Japanese market.

I don't expect many skins for sale as they will provide them using drops which is basically the same as buying them since most people will buy fuel to get them quickly.

eh, I like the current system more, makes it feel like every game is special. And besides, I have not bought any new fuel since day 1 and a week ago I was at 4 stocked fuel, now I am at 20 with 0 extra cash spent. I seriously have no trouble with playing games, I play 3-5 in the morning and another 3-5 in the evening, that is enough for me and that stocked fuel keeps on growing so when a new cool challenge or tournament comes around I will be able to play as much as I want.

They have done away with "paying for cosmetics" really well, imo, everyone can get em, you just have to be a little patient. And most nicknames are awarded for actual in-game performance, which is also really good.

Im starting to think waiting for the last day and going all out on the tournament is the best way to go.
Better than wasting loads of money trying to defend your current rank for days.

You get the skin if you are above 10000. I am just playing with supplied fuel and I am at 3000 roughly.
I mean in general, I don't think that many people are going crazy for this like the last one.

I played 4 matches(3 supplied 1 stock) last night and went from unranked into the top 10,000.
I still have over 25 stock fuels built up.

The last tournament I put 20 fuels in and hung around the 130's for maybe the last 5
then I was continuously pumping in 20 or more a day to keep from dropping which as soon as I couldn't buy anymore I was in the 2,000's

going forward on the last day of tournaments I will just go in so it doesn't leave others with enough time to jump me if I get into position.
That is if its something worth wasting a lot of money on(Razgriz emblem and nickname)

dropped out of the top 10,000 but I decided to take the reports and save my stocked fuel anyway for the next tournament.
don't really see myself using the A-10 much anyway and don't want to blow all my stocked fuel to only realize the Wardog drop starts next week or something.

mcz117chief

dropped out of the top 10,000 but I decided to take the reports and save my stocked fuel anyway for the next tournament.
don't really see myself using the A-10 much anyway and don't want to blow all my stocked fuel to only realize the Wardog drop starts next week or something.

I am only using supplied fuel and I am in the top 5k

I am only using supplied fuel and I am in the top 5k

I have only played 7 matchs since it started, was in the top 10,000 after 4 sorties.
dropped to 20,000 and my 3 sorties tonight got me to 13,000.
When I was choosing my stocked fuel for the next match I just decided to save my 26 stocked and build up more for something I care about.

mcz117chief

I have only played 7 matchs since it started, was in the top 10,000 after 4 sorties.
dropped to 20,000 and my 3 sorties tonight got me to 13,000.
When I was choosing my stocked fuel for the next match I just decided to save my 26 stocked and build up more for something I care about.

The event just ended, I ended up on the 4828th place.

Let me know when you lvl up that thing to 10 :D
LOL I will. I can't picture it being much better than how amazing it is already but the stats don't lie.
Also freaking 45 6AAMs as is.
Sadly no nicknames for it though.

Wish they would change the aircraft selection to show the other teams aircraft as well.
getting kinda tired of going with a Fighter because my team is all Attackers and then realizing the other team is entirely Lv10 F22s. There just isn't enough enemies to get decent points in that situation.

glaurung

Looks like the game is dead for me. Tried to get into matches two nights in a row. Normal evening hours. Found one game the first night. Could not get into it. Second night - no games. No rooms. Well, OK.

mcz117chief

Looks like the game is dead for me. Tried to get into matches two nights in a row. Normal evening hours. Found one game the first night. Could not get into it. Second night - no games. No rooms. Well, OK.

Lol wut ? I keep seing tens of rooms every hour of the day, early morning (mostly Japs), midday (mosty Muricans) and evening (mostly Europeans). Also, just by seeing how many people participate in the tournaments is a clear indication of how many people are playing (tens of thousands).

Shandy

Moby Dick II, forced sortie, Elite contract. All these credits, I feel like a criminal.

Also managed to finish the event at 3648. Don't even have the A-10 unlocked, but I guess with my obscene winnings from Moby Dick...

sholvaco

Neo Member
Tried it. Idled for about 12 minutes. One dude entered, then left again.

I wonder if there's something amiss with my network connection.

Did your internet connection cut out during a sortie a few times (or maybe too many rage quits he he)?

Last Friday I was pushing for "just one mission more" while a storm was brewing outside. A lightning struck somewhere down the street and my brother unplugged the phone cable (as a precaution) while a mission was loading. The PS3 gave me the network cable unplugged error and as I logged back in, a warning popped up telling me I left the game early (no shit duh) and I would be put under matching restrictions should this repeat.

I generally have a piss poor connection (red or orange bars) and get dropped a lot from lobbies (if they even load up), during sortie load time (always crossing my fingers on aircraft select screen) or during the sortie itself (really fun when the mission is going well and the connection craps out less than 30 seconds before completion). Ironically I have the easiest time connecting with Japanese hosts and hardest with US ones. Still, I get plenty of hits, searching for rooms.

Well fuck,
10442473_782138081816647_716483972464342074_n.png

Wardog F14 is a tournament prize for the top 1000.

When the Wardog emblem selected will play AC5 music when you get an MVP.
(oh man please let Razgriz play a snippet of "The Journey Home")

Only F-14s and the Zipang can participate.

Don't think they would do Wardog and Razgriz back to back so im in for the Wardog.
Glad I saved my stocked fuel but there goes $60+ on more fuel.

EGOMON

OMG I just shutdown SR-71 at an altitude of 12000m !!
I didn't know that this monster aircraft aka "Black Bird" even in the game! I was ascending vertically to see how far i can go then i saw the a red SP tag i though enemy AI was following me then i saw the name SR-71 and was like shiiiiit lol

Here are pics of this badass super plane:
main-qimg-ddd9e36f67afcbe612e5c54df9f0eea5

blogentry-1429-0-27943500-1384143999.jpg

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Just started playing this. Pretty fun, I think. Campaign missions so expensive to unlock (._. )

Anyone else encountered the Xevious bricks? Got pretty startled by that familiar tune. Spent a good 2 minutes trying to shoot one down but failed.

mcz117chief

OMG I just shutdown SR-71 at an altitude of 12000m !!
I didn't know that this monster aircraft aka "Black Bird" even in the game! I was ascending vertically to see how far i can go then i saw the a red SP tag i though enemy AI was following me then i saw the name SR-71 and was like shiiiiit lol

It was there since beta. You never noticed the red arrow flying cross map before ? I always go for it, it is like 8k score or something, isn't it ?

Also, the tournament...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a8r7xQvS1g

mcz117chief

Edit: I just realized this tournament is really going to suck with entire games full of F-14s

Yeah, that is gonna blow, especially since there is no pure air map yet (maybe they will release one for the tournament...probabilty of that happening = almost ZERO) and also since I have both of these planes at lvl 1....well, time to start on upgrading and put my f-22 chase on hold for now.

mcz117chief

Have 35 stock fuels built up,
going to need to buy a 60 pack as well I guess.

If the plane was actually worth a damn I might do it too, but to be honest it is pretty mediocre and you can barely see the skin's difference compared to the normal one.

Also, I have 19. Everytime I see a Moby Dick II I can't help myself and I always go for forced sortie 3 :(

If the plane was actually worth a damn I might do it too, but to be honest it is pretty mediocre and you can barely see the skin's difference compared to the normal one.
Eh, the F-14(Zipang atm) is my permanent main and the slight upgrade from that as well as AC5 being my favorite is worth it to me.
Other than a Razgriz theme the Wardog's will be my favorite unless we get the actual Jolly Rogers theme that Wardog's is based on.

I actually don't see myself switching up from an F-14 until I have the F22 over Lv5.

EGOMON

It was there since beta. You never noticed the red arrow flying cross map before ? I always go for it, it is like 8k score or something, isn't it ?

Also, the tournament...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a8r7xQvS1g

No i honestly didn't even notice such thing, does it happen every match?
Also it only took me 2 normal missiles and 2 QAAM missiles to take it down it didn't even try to dodge.

MiG-29A Fulcrum is freaking awesome its my new favorite Aircraft after the Su-47 Berkut

Really wish I could get a Zipang but no luck at all.
I have gotten the normal F-14 skins at like a dozen times now.

WHY GAME WHY!?!?!

I have like 15 stock fuel saved up so I guess I can just marathon this week and hope my luck changes.

Really wish I could get a Zipang but no luck at all.
I have gotten the normal F-14 skins at like a dozen times now.

WHY GAME WHY!?!?!

I have like 15 stock fuel saved up so I guess I can just marathon this week and hope my luck changes.

I didn't get my Zipang till around 40 sorties.

mcz117chief

I didn't get my Zipang till around 40 sorties.

Yeah, me too, and I have never seen it since

No i honestly didn't even notice such thing, does it happen every match?
Also it only took me 2 normal missiles and 2 QAAM missiles to take it down it didn't even try to dodge.

I only found it in the Alps and Pipeline destruction and it just flies straight without trying anything. This is balanced by the fact that the time you spend climbing so high is the time you could have beeen shooting stuff near the ground (read as: everything else).

Decided to test the QAAMs with my Zipang...
What is even the point? They are nerfed to hell, quess I will stick to my 6AAM.

Damn, and I was hoping they would be OP as they always were, especially like they were in 6 :D Maybe if you lvl them up a bit...

When the Wardog emblem selected will play AC5 music when you get an MVP.
(oh man please let Razgriz play a snippet of "The Journey Home")

I hope it will be this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSIzQqQ8AhE, even the length is appropriate

Top Bottom