• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat Infinity |OT| You are cleared to engage.

mcz117chief

cj_iwakura

Wow. And Fires of liberation was terrible compared to AC4, AC5, and AC0. So infinity is pretty dang bad?

It's just the nickle and diming as said. Also the campaign doesn't feel cohesive at all, just random missions with a computer droning on about history. There's no tension.

I enjoyed what I played of AC6. (I own it, but no 360, just tried the first three missions at a friend's.)

Aerocrane

I joined a room where the host left the Stonehenge special raid mission everytime it showed up. :(

Playing Stonehenge Returns isn't much fun with a team that doesn't know what they're doing either. Most people don't split up to destroy the jammers at the start, and not many people take multiroles so destroying the small amount of air units can be a pain if everyone's flying attacker planes.

mcz117chief

Playing Stonehenge Returns isn't much fun with a team that doesn't know what they're doing either. Most people don't split up to destroy the jammers at the start, and not many people take multiroles so destroying the small amount of air units can be a pain if everyone's flying attacker planes.

The Stonehenge sucks, it is boring and stale, you just blast a few ground targets, this could have easily been a normal mission, instead we got rid of the only air to air mission to get another air to ground mission, fuck this shit, why do I even have fighters anymore :/

Also, nobody flyes attackers, they are too slow, multiroles ftw.

I am starting to get bored of the game, the lack of any challenge and decent content kills my mood to play the game.

Oh shit
10639628_816514215045700_3873266322388808521_n.png

I opened and entirely cleaned my fat PS3 and its booting ! yay ! after so many updates, download, patchs, and installs, I'm playing AC infinity yay !!

I'm lost though. Pay for campaign mission ? Why TT

Also, tech threes seems... very grindy. Should I pick one branch and stick to it ? Or should I spread all over it slowly ? Any tips to farm credits ? Any general tips to begin ?

Espada

I opened and entirely cleaned my fat PS3 and its booting ! yay ! after so many updates, download, patchs, and installs, I'm playing AC infinity yay !!

I'm lost though. Pay for campaign mission ? Why TT

Also, tech threes seems... very grindy. Should I pick one branch and stick to it ? Or should I spread all over it slowly ? Any tips to farm credits ? Any general tips to begin ?

If it seems grindy, that's because that's exactly how it's been designed. In order to proceed along the tree, you need to play missions to fill up a part/aircraft's research. Then it must be purchased before it allows you to continue down your chosen path. If there are a cluster of parts around an aircraft, ALL of them must be purchased before you can keep going.

Some tips:
Look at a plane you want at the end of a branch, and focus on heading towards that. If you do it like this you'll receive research in the items you most care about, and nothing else. Do not split your focus with multiple open branches, as research will randomly be distributed to all open research slots.

Since you're starting out, open a room and kick people that have a MR much higher than you. Playing with (or against) people who outrank you leads to lots of kill stealing, and overall lower points for you to earn in a mission.

Accept and complete the daily challenges, especially the ones that offer stocked fuel as a reward. This is an easy way of amassing fuel for forced sortie weekends (use 3x fuel to apply a 3x multiplier to all research, score and earnings per mission) or to use when an even strikes your fancy.

As you gain more aircraft, you'll find that some setups are more useful than others for some missions. Aircraft sets are preset aircraft, part, weapon, emblem, and datalink sets you can select before a mission. This lets you be prepared for whatever mission comes your way, or even what aircraft to use if everyone else is a fighter or attacker.

Remember to install parts on your aircraft. While some are useless (engine parts like compressor and turbine), some are really good (missile power enhancers, extending datalink range).

mcz117chief

Since you're starting out, open a room and kick people that have a MR much higher than you. Playing with (or against) people who outrank you leads to lots of kill stealing, and overall lower points for you to earn in a mission.

The rank you get for a mission gives you a lot more credits than your personal score, going for S rank should always be a priority.

Skwerl

I finally started playing this. Can I get a quick run down of tips I need to know about?

play with those who are close to your ranking number (the 4 digit number like 1500-2000) next to your user name.
If you see anyone that's like 200 or 300 above the room's average, they are out there to seal club you. Avoid them, they will ruin your fun (unless you have a high level generation 5 aircraft)

Try to not open too many research at once, it'd make your research go very slowly.

For beginner I would suggest avoid air target and go for ground targets. Buy yourself a harrier and either go straight for the F-15 S/MTD path or Berkut. Multirole planes are very well balanced (almost OP'ed) in this game.

Espada

The rank you get for a mission gives you a lot more credits than your personal score, going for S rank should always be a priority.

Ideally you want to get an S rank while having a nice personal score. Please don't argue in favor of UWSPJasonchan tactics. People rolling around in Berkuts, F-15 S/MTDs, and F-35s hogging kills with UGB/LAGM/4AGM ruin an otherwise enjoyable game.

mcz117chief

Ideally you want to get an S rank while having a nice personal score. Please don't argue in favor of UWSPJasonchan tactics. People rolling around in Berkuts, F-15 S/MTDs, and F-35s hogging kills with UGB/LAGM/4AGM ruin an otherwise enjoyable game.

Easy fix, play a 4 player game where you and the other 3 totally wreck, that way nobody steals kills and you still get an S :)

Espada

I go to sleep and drop over 10k spots in the ranking event...Not unexpected at all, but still.

It makes me wonder how big the player base is for ACI. I've heard it's not very big, and apparently much smaller than when it first launched.

Easy fix, play a 4 player game where you and the other 3 totally wreck, that way nobody steals kills and you still get an S :)

Heh, good point but Stonehenge Returns exists. Also, some stages are nigh impossible to S with just 4 players (unless everyone is right on point, has the right planes, etc...).

mcz117chief

It makes me wonder how big the player base is for ACI. I've heard it's not very big, and apparently much smaller than when it first launched.

Heh, good point but Stonehenge Returns exists. Also, some stages are nigh impossible to S with just 4 players (unless everyone is right on point, has the right planes, etc...).

I pretty much soloed Stonehenge the one time I played it :D But I agree that Alps and the other mountain mission are tough to S but you can just play the others.

Aquila

Despite the massive amount of gibberish names that I always see, there's quite a few tags that I recognize at this point. Not on my ps3 right now but its possible to check the bottom tier of rankings for events now. That should give a rough idea of how many people actually bother to play at this point. Even if there were only 10k core players at this point though, only the top 200 wallet warriors getting the plane is disgusting.

Exactly, I used to do 4 or 6 person lobbies back when Moby Dick was the emergency mission since it was quite easy to S rank with competent people. Stonehenge I could maybe see being S ranked with 6 if everybody is on-the-ball. I never get emergency missions after a 3 mission lobby anyway so what does it matter.

RangerBAD

Got a dozen golden box tonight. Only T50 skins... And then, another one, I guess another T50 skin... HOLY COW RAFALE VENT D'ANGE omg omg

I get mostly T-50 skins, but I did get a Rafale too. Not really using it. :x I'm not very far into the tree, so I should use it.

Aquila

Don't know if it's true or not but I've heard that it is easier to spawn emergency missions if you, as host, S rank three missions, perform the EM that just popped, then close and reopen the lobby for another three S ranked missions.

There's videos of Stonehenge red ring and gold ring now. Red ring is the same as white ring, only Stonehenge's blasts are much stronger and more frequent. Gold ring has even crazier blasts from my understanding and Kottos gunships provide more jamming.

I didn't even care about the tournament this time. Top 200 is a joke and even the nickname is tame this time. Watch me rage when Yellow squadron is top 200 too.

mcz117chief

10653570_820239188006536_5574018590696529722_n.png
¨

Time to go back for some more games I guess, thank the God it is not a ranked event.

Also, I just saw a guy with a gold Stonehenge emblem

RangerBAD

10653570_820239188006536_5574018590696529722_n.png
¨

Time to go back for some more games I guess, thank the God it is not a ranked event.

Also, I just saw a guy with a gold Stonehenge emblem

Saw some MVP with this plane today and plays an awesome song. Second time I've heard a song play during the MVP and results screen. Turns out this is due to emblems?

Aquila

Saw some MVP with this plane today and plays an awesome song. Second time I've heard a song play during the MVP and results screen. Turns out this is due to emblems?

Yes, Wardog, Galm, Ridgeback, and the upcoming Strigon emblems play their theme music as the MVP victory tune.

Strigon 'tournament' will start in a few days. Unsurprisingly, only the top 200 get the plane. The new mid-mission emergency update(?) should start then too

RangerBAD

Yes, Wardog, Galm, Ridgeback, and the upcoming Strigon emblems play their theme music as the MVP victory tune.

Strigon 'tournament' will start in a few days. Unsurprisingly, only the top 200 get the plane. The new mid-mission emergency update(?) should start then too

What's the one where it's a vocal song?

Nevermind it's Ridgeback.

Aquila

Latest tournament is now up. Stonehenge is even rarer with the new 'Large Numbers of etc' emergency missions. S ranked the Air version with a single stocked fuel and it paid out just a bit over 20k. It's a 3 wave mission with ridiculously tanky qaam-armed T-50's and F-22's at the end. A color pack for the Gripen is dropping from gold boxes too; I don't know how good the plane is though so I've no idea what the colors are....

Zocano

I would love a Strigon SU-33 but getting in the top 200 is just ridiculous. It was difficult enough getting the F15 Stripes variant and that was Top 3000.

Just ridiculous and dumb that they're forcing this shit. I have still been really enjoying playing it but I'd rather go back and play AC5 and 6 at this point.

I would love a Strigon SU-33 but getting in the top 200 is just ridiculous. It was difficult enough getting the F15 Stripes variant and that was Top 3000.

Just ridiculous and dumb that they're forcing this shit. I have still been really enjoying playing it but I'd rather go back and play AC5 and 6 at this point.

I know how you feel. Making 3000 at least seems reasonable, but the only ones making top 200 will most likely be whales. Which is a shame, because I actually like this new emergency mission.

Guess I'll just go for pixy's F-15 drop

Espada

I managed to get the Ridgebacks emblem (god, even getting into the top 3k for that tournament was a fight), and my goodness that emblem and song are PERFECT for my F-22A. It motivates me to do my best, just so I can be taken back to AC04.

BTW, do you guys think we'll get the CFA-44? At least as a standard aircraft? I'm expecting that we will at some point, with the QFA-44 "Camilla" being a special Top 200 reward.

RangerBAD

Expert controls give you full control of the plane, allowing for more complex maneuvers. If you aren't having trouble crashing into ground and such flight assist should be disabled.

I've been crashing a lot since I tried to switch over. I really hate that yaw is pressure sensitive. I should sue Namco for all the people that are disabled and have weak hands (like me). I got around the acceleration controls by switching them to R2 and L2 because that's easier to press on hard for me. But yaw seems really important on Expert.

I managed to get the Ridgebacks emblem (god, even getting into the top 3k for that tournament was a fight), and my goodness that emblem and song are PERFECT for my F-22A. It motivates me to do my best, just so I can be taken back to AC04.

BTW, do you guys think we'll get the CFA-44? At least as a standard aircraft? I'm expecting that we will at some point, with the QFA-44 "Camilla" being a special Top 200 reward.

Yeah, the time I heard Blue Skies I just had to sit there and listen to it. It's awesome.

Aquila

I'm positive we will. Wasn't there a list of plane names datamined or something a while back? I recall seeing the CFA-44 and Wyvern being on a list of TBA planes. I'd do terrible things for a ZOE Commander though.
I've been crashing a lot since I tried to switch over. I really hate that yaw is pressure sensitive. I should sue Namco for all the people that are disabled and have weak hands (like me). I got around the acceleration controls by switching them to R2 and L2 because that's easier to press on hard for me. But yaw seems really important on Expert.

Yeah, the time I heard Blue Skies I just had to sit there and listen to it. It's awesome.
If you have the T-50, I think the part below it negates crash damage. Not online at the moment so I can't check. What plane are you flying? Fighters and high-tier multiroles are as nimble as paper airplanes so that might not be helping your practice. Keep at it though, once you're comfortable with expert controls you won't be able to go back to beginner and your skills at other flight games should be a lot better too.

Blue Skies has two versions. Both are very soothing and end AC4 and AC5's soundtracks on a high note.

RangerBAD

I'm positive we will. Wasn't there a list of plane names datamined or something a while back? I recall seeing the CFA-44 and Wyvern being on a list of TBA planes. I'd do terrible things for a ZOE Commander though.

If you have the T-50, I think the part below it negates crash damage. Not online at the moment so I can't check. What plane are you flying? Fighters and high-tier multiroles are as nimble as paper airplanes so that might not be helping your practice. Keep at it though, once you're comfortable with expert controls you won't be able to go back to beginner and your skills at other flight games should be a lot better too.

Blue Skies has two versions. Both are very soothing and end AC4 and AC5's soundtracks on a high note.

I'm using the Rafale M -Vent d'Ange-. I really don't like it much, but it's more powerful than most stuff I have access to I did crash less today and scored in the 30000. I'm trying to figure out how the people video seem to track the target so well when they need to turn around and move the camera around. Also, how do people get so many credits? I'm doing something wrong. Don't know what plane I really want to use. Why can't they put Valkyries (that don't transform) in this game and real missile spam.

Aquila

I'm using the Rafale M -Vent d'Ange-. I really don't like it much, but it's more powerful than most stuff I have access to I did crash less today and scored in the 30000. I'm trying to figure out how the people video seem to track the target so well when they need to turn around and move the camera around. Also, how do people get so many credits? I'm doing something wrong. Don't know what plane I really want to use. Why can't they put Valkyries (that don't transform) in this game and real missile spam.

Vent d'Ange is a good plane. Just be careful not to upgrade it too high as it'll get super expensive real quick. Using the triangle focus camera and right stick camera with ease just comes with practice. Earning a good amount of credits per match comes with S-ranking the mission, getting a high personal score, and not dying; only Moby Dick/Stonehenge Return 2 and 3 with 3x stocked fuel give amazing payouts of $160k+. Macross-themed F-14's were in the Japanese version of Assault Horizon but don't expect them over here thanks to the Robotech/Harmony Gold fiasco.

Aquila

Actually, level 3 give half a million just fyi :)
Yeah, well..., you can take a guess as to how I don't know that ;(

There should be a reasonable challenge or a decent drop rate red box that awards a level 3 emergency mission spawn contract. I should be paid for these ideas.

Are wing mods worth it and what exactly are the noticeable benefits if so?

Even though I've used wing mods, I can't necessarily say if I've noticed the difference on my F-15E. The small tiers are useless but M and L grades give a decent responsiveness boost to pitch (up/down), yaw, or roll. Use them if you got them, but not at the expense of whatever speed or acceleration parts that you have.

Aerocrane

I've been playing Ace Combat 4 and I've gotten to mission 13 where you have to destroy jammer airships to allow a U2 recon plane to pass through a ravine safely. Man, fuck everything about that mission. It is not fun. I don't know if its my red-green colourblindness, but the airships look the same colour as the terrain which makes spotting them even more difficult as they are already just tiny specks. I've tried it three times already and managed to destroy only ten at most.

Aquila

I've been playing Ace Combat 4 and I've gotten to mission 13 where you have to destroy jammer airships to allow a U2 recon plane to pass through a ravine safely. Man, fuck everything about that mission. It is not fun. I don't know if its my red-green colourblindness, but the airships look the same colour as the terrain which makes spotting them even more difficult as they are already just tiny specks. I've tried it three times already and managed to destroy only ten at most.

Fly low to the ground and look up as much as you can. The jammers are much easier to see against the sky's backdrop. Try zig-zagging north and south as a lot of the jammers are line-of-sight straight ahead of each other. Your radar also isn't actually being jammed, the real airships will appear every few seconds.

You'll make it through. Hopefully your eyes will be able to handle Emancipation.

Aerocrane

Fly low to the ground and look up as much as you can. The jammers are much easier to see against the sky's backdrop. Try zig-zagging north and south as a lot of the jammers are line-of-sight straight ahead of each other. Your radar also isn't actually being jammed, the real airships will appear every few seconds.

You'll make it through. Hopefully your eyes will be able to handle Emancipation.

I just finished the story, the revelation at the end was nicely done and Megalith was a great mission. I barely got 15 of the airships on Safe Return. Emancipation wasn't as tough because you can actually use lock-on and listen to the tones, but yeah the targets were a bit hard to see on the ground at times in that mission.

The soundtrack is fantastic, the gameplay is good, but I miss the ability to pull off high-g turns like in more recent games which made evading missiles a bit more difficult. The graphics looked pretty nice in my opinion, although the low amount of 3D objects on the ground in city-based levels really shows that it's a bit dated game.

EGOMON

I am done with ACI Tournys and Events its so frustrating to compete if you don't play 24/7, i go to sleep BAM am 10k+ rank also Stonehenge event is boring as hell and it doesn't help that i only fly fighters :/

Aerocrane

I am done with ACI Tournys and Events its so frustrating to compete if you don't play 24/7, i go to sleep BAM am 10k+ rank also Stonehenge event is boring as hell and it doesn't help that i only fly fighters :/

Yeah, I would've liked to get a Ridgebacks emblem, but that tournament was really tough and I couldn't afford the time or the money to compete for top 3k. I guess that they won't change the events because this way they can milk the small playerbase for lots of money with little effort. They still have lots of planes and squadrons to use as rewards in future events.

RangerBAD

Yeah, I would've liked to get a Ridgebacks emblem, but that tournament was really tough and I couldn't afford the time or the money to compete for top 3k. I guess that they won't change the events because this way they can milk the small playerbase for lots of money with little effort. They still have lots of planes and squadrons to use as rewards in future events.

I think the tournaments should actually be in tournament style. Have teams that win in like an A, B, C, etc. tournament and get your people that way. Giving people some better chances. Oh, and we need some "Infinity Stocked Fuel" weekends or double/triple multiplier weekends for credits and research.

My scores are all over the place. Should I level up my Rafale to 3? It's so expensive! I also have that Golden F-16 I haven't bought yet.

Top Bottom