• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

curb

Banned
I buy off Starbase Collectibles they get their stuff from Sideshow.

And there's Toys Square

You're still paying in USD, but I checked and its the cheapest overall with the state of the dollar and exchange rate.

Yeah, that seems a lot better but the exchange is still pretty brutal right now. It's probably for the best. Since this thread started I've done really well in avoiding opening the door to Hot Toys addiction and for my wallet's sake, I should keep it that way.

dankir

Yeah, that seems a lot better but the exchange is still pretty brutal right now. It's probably for the best. Since this thread started I've done really well in avoiding opening the door to Hot Toys addiction and for my wallet's sake, I should keep it that way.

Agreed, I'm only collecting the rest of AoU line this year and maybe a few figures from Iron Man 3. Still got a 700 dollar 1/4 Mark 43 figure coming in and what is probably now a 1250 Hulkbuster? Give or take.

So glad I never got into the Star Wars line.

Just for display purposes. Light up function is too good a selling point.

It's cool to take some pictures with but honestly, it's not like I go in my collectibles room, open the display door, and try to feel for a tiny switch on the arm, and keep it lit up for any prolonged period of time.

Maybe down the line, they will figure out a way to remote all the light up options while keeping the figure safe from any possible battery corrosion.

It's cool to take some pictures with but honestly, it's not like I go in my collectibles room, open the display door, and try to feel for a tiny switch on the arm, and keep it lit up for any prolonged period of time.

Maybe down the line, they will figure out a way to remote all the light up options while keeping the figure safe from any possible battery corrosion.

Soap Studios makes those Soap Reactors that have a remote. That may be what you want, though you have to deal with hiding the wires that come out of them. Not ideal but it works.

http://www.soapstudio.com/soap-reactor-full-pack/

Budget Stark and Danoby2 use them. I believe they hide the wires using blue tack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDbBI04EeWU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8JXlyZ3TpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p41vkV9B06I

GunFalcon

Bought a Heisenberg and First Order Storm trooper.... also pre ordered BvS Batman....

All while living in Canada.

My wallet can't take anymore :(

LiK

ok, HT Rey on SS is getting the preorder bonuses. they updated the product page. switching over to SS from BBTS now.

Maybe you should buy a second home just for your figures.

believe it or not, Del Toro actually has a second house just for all his figures. lol

dangeROSS

Man, 1/6 figures look so crazy detailed. It's amazing how they can capture people's likeness in that scale and make things look so darn good.

Got my Monsterarts Spitfire 2014 Goji in today and he's marvelous. Absolutely love the translucent dorsal plates, and the flame effect part is easily the best beam attack part Tamashii has ever done. The burnt out MUTO head is also really cool, but I forgot to take a picture of it. Looking forward to preordering GMK Goji next week.

That looks awesome! I don't have and Monsterarts stuff, but I did pick up a Neca 1954 Godzilla the other day. I think I may have to get the NES Godzilla figure now too.

Oe1royCl.jpg

fd4vobQl.jpg

fsgbFSWl.jpg

oD3Ch2Zl.jpg

8x9UBOyl.jpg

KKJttAnl.jpg

BTLrJi0l.jpg

nXQltWtl.jpg

jackdoe

Right now I have Finn, Rey and Phasma on preorder.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. From the Force Awakens line, I have Finn w/ TR-8R, Rey w/ BB8, Phasma, and Kylo Ren on pre-order. The only other Force Awakens Hot Toys figure that I'd consider would be Poe or old man Luke. I don't really want old man Solo, but if the figure looks cool enough, I'm not sure I could control myself from pre-ordering it.

Boke1879

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. From the Force Awakens line, I have Finn w/ TR-8R, Rey w/ BB8, Phasma, and Kylo Ren on pre-order. The only other Force Awakens Hot Toys figure that I'd consider would be Poe or old man Luke. I don't really want old man Solo, but if the figure looks cool enough, I'm not sure I could control myself from pre-ordering it.

I gotta stick with those 3. It's already a huge money sink haha.

WolfStark

I went a pre-ordered this at my LCS the day the update with the lightsaber got announced.

It will be my (7yo) daughter's first Hot Toy.

Your daughter is a very lucky girl, I wish I had gotten such a toy back than. On the other hand, I was pretty happy with my X-Wing too^^

LosDaddie

Banned
Kinda high end for a 7 year old, don't you think?

Well, technically, my daughter will be 8yo when she gets Rey for her birthday. 😂

Typically, I spend around $300 for her birthday. So, I gave her the choice of getting a bunch of gifts like usual, or the Rey & BB-8 set from Hot Toys. The choice was easy for her.

And yeah, I did explain to her that Rey is not for playing, only posing / pictures / showing friends (like my Hot Toys). I'm going to build a display shelf in her room for it.

Your daughter is a very lucky girl, I wish I had gotten such a toy back than. On the other hand, I was pretty happy with my X-Wing too^^

Yeah, my only concern is that my (younger) son will want his own Hot Toys figure when he gets older.

NEO0MJ

Typically, I spend around $300 for her birthday. So, I gave her the choice of getting a bunch of gifts like usual, or the Rey & BB-8 set from Hot Toys. The choice was easy for her.

And yeah, I did explain to her that Rey is not for playing, only posing / pictures / showing friends (like my Hot Toys). I'm going to build a display shelf in her room for it.

I don't know, kids aren't to be trusted. I know I wouldn't have trusted myself with a HT figure, lol.

dankir

Well, technically, my daughter will be 8yo when she gets Rey for her birthday. ��

Yeah, my only concern is that my (younger) son will want his own Hot Toys figure when he gets older.

if you can teach to play with them carefully then go for it. Otherwise forget about it. Hot Toys are amazing, but goddamn they are fragile. The articulation is limited in many cases because of the clothing around the figure.

Sometimes you have stupid padded suits they put under the costumes that limit the range of movement even further. Captain America Strike outfit is one.

Worse yet the skin material and clothing can rip/tear if you keep the figure in a certain pose for too long.

So just make sure they're careful with them, really careful.

Messi

That moment when the suicide squad trailer is awesome and you realize the deep shit you are going to be in trying to get the finances for the whole squad from hot toys. Lol

1upsuper

Has anyone bought/received the special color edition Monsterarts King Ghidorah? I am so tempted to order it, but it'd be my most expensive figure purchase, and I'm a bit hesitant to pull the ~$140 trigger. The King is probably my favorite kaiju though (along with Gigan), and I prefer him over his Mecha form. I'll probably end up going for it.

LiK

What's Square/Play Arts Kai smoking these days? I hope this is just the BBTS mark up.. $150 for their BvS Batman figure? Lol.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/...m_campaign=BigBadToyStore-Retail&utm_content=

been that way for like over a year now. seems the prices just keep going up. they're also making their figures bigger and bigger. thankfully, they seem to overproduce certain lines and the figures end up going on sale later.

the discounts from AmiAmi are a godsend if you really want a particular figure day one.

Snaku

Banned
Has anyone bought/received the special color edition Monsterarts King Ghidorah? I am so tempted to order it, but it'd be my most expensive figure purchase, and I'm a bit hesitant to pull the ~$140 trigger. The King is probably my favorite kaiju though (along with Gigan), and I prefer him over his Mecha form. I'll probably end up going for it.

If you want it now is the time, it'll never be cheaper.

I was at the shop today and I can't believe the prices of Play Arts Kai figures. Just looking at the ones on my shelf, I'm ashamed (in relation to Hot Toys) of the money I did spend on them. Now they are almost double the cost.

1upsuper

Play Arts Kai figures rub me the wrong way. The ones I've seen in person just don't look great, outside of maybe Rorschach. And the prices just seem ridiculous for the quality. But to each his own, of course.

Play Arts Kai figures rub me the wrong way. The ones I've seen in person just don't look great, outside of maybe Rorschach. And the prices just seem ridiculous for the quality. But to each his own, of course.

I have TDK Batman and its the best one they made IMO. It looks good next to a Robin statue I have. But the others, Harley, Catwoman, Arkham City Batman and Robin and those look like glorified Black series figures I have.

Bloodember

Play Arts Kai to me are hit and miss. I have Supergirl(variant), Harley Quinn(variant) and Hatsune Miku. I like them, but Supergirl could be better, Harley's just strange and I really like Miku, adore the realistic style of her.

Top Bottom