• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Customer service not great, then? That's a bummer. Always the risk when importing I guess, unless Hobby Link Japan (or the like) is different. Ideally if I wanted total reassurance of being taken care of when something arrives damaged or defective, I'd just go with Amazon. But they get their stock rather slowly and prices are higher than average I've found.

what's funny is, i was about to post HLJ but deleted it bc i didn't want to confuse you with another import store. HLJ definitely has the best customer support if the item is damaged in transit or bc of a manufacturing defect that was unknown unless you open it. (that was the case with amiami where they will not take responsibility for manufacturer defect and will not help return it for you to the manufacturer) HLJ may 3-5 bucks higher cost that amiami but their shipping prices are lower which helps break even. i was going to recommend them but you are familiar with them already.

one thing to note that HLJ for the past year have stopped shipping packages without any padding at all. they used to bubble wrap like amiami. then they moved to a system where used to wrap in a shrink wrap plastic with a cardboard backing so the package doesn't move. it was flimsy but as long as the package doesn't move in the box it's safe. i ship a lot of stuff and learned how to pack safely without bubble wrap and minimal padding, all you need is a thick grade cardboard grade that amiami/hlj uses (unlike amazon) and make sure the package doesn't move inside.
example:
wpuSJQGh.jpg
it's effective and safe if have shipping insurance. so that shrink wrap method HLJ uses saved them on shipping costs.
but recently hlj just throws them in a box with nothing at all so i get a lot of bruised corners. it's a shame bc i used to love hlj. now i try to get collector grade stuff elsewhere.

- J - D -

JD already making a beeline toward AmiAmi I'm so proud

Go EMS for the best, fastest shipping or SAL Registered if you think you can wait 2-5 weeks for your fun new figures. I always do EMS because I need my things ASAP.

Soon you, too, will have monthly orders. Then you'll learn the joy of tossing in preowned figures at awesome prices in great shape.

all the things

Joy or addiction? lol

Also, I would like to use EMS, but for the first shipment I would like to see how long SAL or Small Air Packet shipping takes to get to me so I can see if I really need the expedited options.

what's funny is, i was about to post HLJ but deleted it bc i didn't want to confuse you with another import store. HLJ definitely has the best customer support if the item is damaged in transit or bc of a manufacturing defect that was unknown unless you open it. (that was the case with amiami where they will not take responsibility for manufacturer defect and will not help return it for you to the manufacturer) HLJ may 3-5 bucks higher cost that amiami but their shipping prices are lower which helps break even. i was going to recommend them but you are familiar with them already.

one thing to note that HLJ for the past year have stopped shipping packages without any padding at all. they used to bubble wrap like amiami. then they moved to a system where used to wrap in a shrink wrap plastic with a cardboard backing so the package doesn't move. it was flimsy but as long as the package doesn't move in the box it's safe. i ship a lot of stuff and learned how to pack safely without bubble wrap and minimal padding, all you need is a thick grade cardboard grade that amiami/hlj uses (unlike amazon) and make sure the package doesn't move inside.
example:

it's effective and safe if have shipping insurance. so that shrink wrap method HLJ uses saved them on shipping costs.
but recently hlj just throws them in a box with nothing at all so i get a lot of bruised corners. it's a shame bc i used to love hlj. now i try to get collector grade stuff elsewhere.

HLJ cutting costs? Oh well, at least it seems their customer service is good, all things considered. On Amiami's FAQ it recommends opening your package with the delivery person present in case something went wrong with your item. lol

Snaku

Banned

It's here! My first ric exclusive X-Plus, Shin Godzilla. Sweet Jesus this thing is amazing. Not the biggest X-Plus that I own, but easily the centerpiece of my collection. The detail is staggering, my crappy iPhone pictures do not do it justice. The translucent vinyl is so well done, I really can't wait to custom install some led lighting so this thing will be glowing all the time. I'm so glad I got my order in at the last minute.

DemiMatt

More Hot toys teasers

attachment.php

Very happy that by GoTG alone, this year will be a much lighter year for POs.

Did some cleaning & rearranging this weekend, finally started to pull out my Hot Toys from years passed and wow. The quality difference is insane, my RE 5 Figures look like fakes compared to HTs more recent releases. Some of the earlier Batman stuff just doesn't hold up either . . . might be time to make some room.

Anyways here is a pic of my top shelf, still working on arranging the others. Still very on the fence about Winter Soldier from CW, did anyone PO or pass on the PO? Just curious.

I got my Leo from Mondo yesterday, he looks even more like a giant figure in person. I was really looking forward to this line, but it's just not at a comparable level. Going to return him & cancel the rest of the line.

16422910_10158493391680508_3152696901418699404_o.jpg

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Okay I haven't been spamming ML 2.0 updates because stretch goals are being unlocked so fast but we're now entering the decay portion of the Advent of Decay figures and H E L P

hYnHMfS.png

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yep, check your local Kohls. A TON of their SW stuff is marked down. They had quite a few other of the Black Series, but none of note aside from Ahoska. So glad I didn't pop down $30+ like I did for Revan.

I still haven't seen a single figure from that wave and I'm in stores that carry the line almost every day.

I still haven't seen a single figure from that wave and I'm in stores that carry the line almost every day.
I've only seen them at GameStop. That's also the only place I've heard of anyone finding them. I got Leia just before Christmas there, and also saw the AT-AT Driver and Snowtrooper once.

One of my figures has a loose elbow joint. Any tips on fixing it? It's Mythic Legion.

There's no real good way to fix the elbow joints (lemme guess it's on one of the birds right?). My Burbotross has a super loose left elbow and there was just not much to do other than live with. Out of the 20+ figures I have from them that's the only QC issue I've run into so it's a decent track record in my eyes.

Yarbskoo

It's here! My first ric exclusive X-Plus, Shin Godzilla. Sweet Jesus this thing is amazing. Not the biggest X-Plus that I own, but easily the centerpiece of my collection. The detail is staggering, my crappy iPhone pictures do not do it justice. The translucent vinyl is so well done, I really can't wait to custom install some led lighting so this thing will be glowing all the time. I'm so glad I got my order in at the last minute.

Not a huge Godzilla fan, but goddam that looks awesome.

There's no real good way to fix the elbow joints (lemme guess it's on one of the birds right?). My Burbotross has a super loose left elbow and there was just not much to do other than live with. Out of the 20+ figures I have from them that's the only QC issue I've run into so it's a decent track record in my eyes.

Yeah it's a bird. Oh well, I hope the ones I just kickstarted don't have similar QC issues. Thanks.

LiK

Damn, the new version of the HT IM suitcase suit looks better. Maybe I'll try to sell the old one before prices come down.

As for Revoltech vs others, I vastly prefer Figma. They are consistently perfect in design, sculpting, posability and quality. The plastic is heavy and sturdy.

Revoltech has messier designs, more exposed joints and feel too soft, like it doesn't really keep a pose because the plastic is flexing rather than just moving the joint. Then again my two RT figures are a few years old.

Figuarts are in-between. The quality is mostly good, although my Mario and Luigi has a very hard, light plastic which feels brittle, while Freddie Mercury feels more like a Figma. Got two Star Wars figures too, which look good but have some weird design flaws. Also, Figuarts have much fewer accessories and never seem to include stands.

LiK

Figmas are def better quality overall especially in the past few years. Revoltech plastic and paint has been a mixed bag.

An old trick was using super glue and after applying it continuously move the joint until it dries but that was for ball joints. Not sure how well it will work here.

yes, that definitely works. shhh don't give away the secrets. jk

but i think if you just post it like that people misunderstand. i can't tell you how many times people actually glued the whole joint after reading about super glue. LOL

- J - D -

As for Revoltech vs others, I vastly prefer Figma. They are consistently perfect in design, sculpting, posability and quality. The plastic is heavy and sturdy.

Revoltech has messier designs, more exposed joints and feel too soft, like it doesn't really keep a pose because the plastic is flexing rather than just moving the joint. Then again my two RT figures are a few years old.

Figuarts are in-between. The quality is mostly good, although my Mario and Luigi has a very hard, light plastic which feels brittle, while Freddie Mercury feels more like a Figma. Got two Star Wars figures too, which look good but have some weird design flaws. Also, Figuarts have much fewer accessories and never seem to include stands.

Yeah what is with Figuarts coming with nearly zero accessories in most of their releases? An extra pair of hands? Gee, thanks.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah what is with Figuarts coming with nearly zero accessories in most of their releases? An extra pair of hands? Gee, thanks.

It's really bad with the Marvel Figuarts, especially when you spend $100+ on a Web Exclusive like Black Panther and don't even get a different head. On the other hand, a lot of them do come with quite a few accessories. It just depends on the brand.

Of course, nothing can top Figuarts Ashuraman coming with a bajillion hands.

- J - D -

Bandai also sells spare stands. Just saying.

In all fairness, those stands look pretty good. There's one that's like 5 stands in one.

It's really bad with the Marvel Figuarts, especially when you spend $100+ on a Web Exclusive like Black Panther and don't even get a different head. On the other hand, a lot of them do come with quite a few accessories. It just depends on the brand.

Of course, nothing can top Figuarts Ashuraman coming with a bajillion hands.

True they're not all bereft of extra goodies. My Figuarts Bruce Lee comes with a ton of stuff. It's just their superhero stuff that's lacking. Like Black Panther. Or Ant Man.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
True they're not all bereft of extra goodies. My Figuarts Bruce Lee comes with a ton of stuff. It's just their superhero stuff that's lacking. Like Black Panther. Or Ant Man.

Figuarts Ant-Man is pretty freaking awesome though. At least you can "borrow" the Legends accessories to supplement the Figuarts if you must. The smaller scale for the Marvel Figuarts works fine for Ant-Man because he's naturally shorted and every size of him is canon.

He was one of my favorite figures of 2016! Pure fun.
buy him now

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The articulation on Figuarts Ant-Man makes him look like a robot, plus I don't like the AoU helmet.
This is the definitive 1/12 Ant-Man. It's the Marvel Legends one with a replacement head and some paint work. (The head cast costs $4.50 and comes completely unpainted)
https://postimage.org/

Man I want a John Wick figma.

Figures of just dudes with suits and guns should be something more companies should make.

Any figure like that besides Golgo 13 Duke Togo figure that's not the same price as my rent?

Installed LED lighting in my X-Plus Shin Godzilla.
that lighting is awesome =)

Hey action figure GAF(crossposting),

just wanted to post my updated Gundam figure collection.
i have a larger collection of Macross but i these Gundam figures are awesome =)
i usually shrink images but wanted to keep them big for full effect! i hope you don't mind this time. i'll keep future posts quoted shrunk =)

NBFm8un.png

Y9nhgav.png

k4qbHCw.png

f7Th545.png

LiK

Jesus Christ, the new version of HT IM Mark V is $345. Fuck that. I'll keep my old one.

that lighting is awesome =)

Hey action figure GAF(crossposting),

just wanted to post my updated Gundam figure collection.
i have a larger collection of Macross but i these Gundam figures are awesome =)
i usually shrink images but wanted to keep them big for full effect! i hope you don't mind this time. i'll keep future posts quoted shrunk =)

So do you just stare at the box art? Why don't you open them up, toss the boxes and display them on shelves? That wall of boxes is literally taking up room for a display case.

An old trick was using super glue and after applying it continuously move the joint until it dries but that was for ball joints. Not sure how well it will work here.
Was looking into this the other day and some floor polish also works. Haven't tried either myself. Scared superglue would ruin it if I'm not careful.

- J - D -

Figuarts Ant-Man is pretty freaking awesome though. At least you can "borrow" the Legends accessories to supplement the Figuarts if you must. The smaller scale for the Marvel Figuarts works fine for Ant-Man because he's naturally shorted and every size of him is canon.

He was one of my favorite figures of 2016! Pure fun.
buy him now

Yeah he was already on my list. The Figuarts Ant Man is kinda the only game in town when it comes to a Civil War representation of the character in this scale.

The articulation on Figuarts Ant-Man makes him look like a robot, plus I don't like the AoU helmet.
This is the definitive 1/12 Ant-Man. It's the Marvel Legends one with a replacement head and some paint work. (The head cast costs $4.50 and comes completely unpainted)
*snip*

Can a figure be definitive if it had to be cobbled together from multiple figures (or parts) and then repainted?

Looks good though.

Installed LED lighting in my X-Plus Shin Godzilla.

So cooool.

Speaking of Revoltech, does anybody know if the Vulcanlog Kaiba and Yugi figures are any good?

I only have Kaiba but he far the worst revoltech I own. Its a pain to get him into poses, and his poses are restricted by his coat which also makes him terribly back heavy. He may look good but his articulation is awful.

I only have Kaiba but he far the worst revoltech I own. Its a pain to get him into poses, and his poses are restricted by his coat which also makes him terribly back heavy. He may look good but his articulation is awful.

Oh that's a shame, guess I'll just have to hope that GSC release the Figma version of Kaiba soon. Thanks for the heads up.

You should sell them all and clear out some space. Cool collection. I'm not into Macross enough to pay that much for their figures.

thanks, yeah i brought and sold a lot for several years but got a high paying job last year so i stopped selling recently. i probably should start selling stuff again to clear out space.

if you decide to throw up some of your excess hot toys on ebay, pm me. i'd love to take a look before they go to the bay. i have a Tumbler waiting for me from a friend but i've been asking him to keep it in storage as i'm eyeing that Part II Hover Conversion coming out. also if you ever want to dab into a Macross figure, pm me and i'll give you a heads up early on what's hot and when pre-orders about go up. (they literally disappear in seconds)

Top Bottom