• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It looks like a lot like a shrunken 12" Marvel Legends Cap.

- J - D -

MAFEX quality is all over the place. The only Star Wars ones I own are the two Boba Fetts, which are incredible. The scale is closer to BS than Figuarts.
The best-looking smallish Hulk right now is the Mezco gladiator Hulk, which was shown at SDCC but is not out yet. Mezco scales to Legends damn near exactly so they're a little big compared to Figuarts.

So good.

Goddamn that looks incredible. Blows the ML, Figuarts, Figma, and dare I say Hot Toys mcu Hulks out of the water.

I need it.

I need it.

Snaku

Banned
Max Factory 1/6 Guyver I at WF. Honestly I'd probably get it if I knew they had plans to do other characters, and this isn't just a one off. Seeing as how there were no new Guyver figmas revealed I'm guessing that line is dead.

img_6330ujslr.jpg

Oof, the new Frame Arms showed are going to drain my wallet.

Almost bought the MMPR Power Sword, but I just can't justify the price when I can get a lightsaber or what not for cheaper. The Gold Zeo Staff, on the other hand...

Revoltech Captain America, Magneto and Zooptopia line look good. I will get the Magneto and Cap, but Revo joints get loose so damn quick I don't want to buy Zootopia as well. The Marvel stuff is just a "necessity"...

It's cool someone has the comic license vs SHF's movie license. Always wanted figures of the comic line (that weren't Marvel Legends), so apart from the loose joints, I'm pretty excited!

Majima statue has a Jackie Ma face

More Figman Pokemon... oof. Good oof. Not for the wallet, though!

I'm curious about what kind of people buy statues so large.

People with the disposable income to buy them and the space to display them. Personally, I think 1/4 is getting on the side of being "way too big." But once you hit 1/3 scale it's almost like having another person in your house. Especially with larger pieces like Doomsday and Swamp Thing.

NEO0MJ

People with the disposable income to buy them and the space to display them. Personally, I think 1/4 is getting on the side of being "way too big." But once you hit 1/3 scale it's almost like having another person in your house. Especially with larger pieces like Doomsday and Swamp Thing.

Oh I know you need space and money to get these, but like what sort of person are they. Obviously giant nerds, but also ones who are shameless about it. I'd die of embarrassment if I had something like that Doomsday in my house.

Oh I know you need space and money to get these, but like what sort of person are they. Obviously giant nerds, but also ones who are shameless about it. I'd die of embarrassment if I had something like that Doomsday in my house.

Eh. I don't know, we're naturally inclined to surround ourselves with things that interest us. If I owned a mansion I'd be much more likely to line my foyer with things like this than imported sculptures from Italy. If you have the money to buy these things then you also have the money not to give a fuck what other people think.

Bii

They're just like you and me. Some may even post in this thread.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Eh. I don't know, we're naturally inclined to surround ourselves with things that interest us. If I owned a mansion I'd be much more likely to line my foyer with things like this than imported sculptures from Italy. If you have the money to buy these things then you also have the money not to give a fuck what other people think.

If I were crazy rich I think the nerdiest thing I'd put right up front would be something like a T-Rex skeleton or skull.

bengraven

You know until recently even Legends were considered a high-end to me due to my budget.

Now I just struggle at the Mezco/Mafex/SH figure arts level. I'm about to put a preorder down for Doctor Strange and Catwoman.

And then I see a hot toy or a masterpiece transformer and my heart sinks and I think about how I need to get a better job.

I don't know man. I would say once you get over the social stigma of having more than maybe five or six action figures displayed in your house, you're at the point where you can have a 6 foot tall Doomsday statue.

As for the money aside, I would assume some kind of upper level programmer or business manager who has a secret life at home.

TAJ

Mezco/MAFEX/Figuarts are better. If you start making a lot more money then you can get some diorama pieces for them.

NEO0MJ

Nah, they all post on Sideshow Freaks and Statue Forum.

The biggest heavy hitters here that I know here are dankir, David,, LiK, and you I think. Haloid and Messi are harder to figure out though they're up there as well, and KoruptData used to hang out with you but then he
wisely
decided to scale back due to his new dark master.
Or at least, that's what I feel. If any big baller here feels left out do speak up :)

Boke1879

People like us. I know Del Toro has a bunch of crazy lifelike figures in his house. So stuff like this would be up his alley.

We are normal people. Don't consider myself a giant nerd at all. Yeah I watch comic movies,used to collect comics and cards back in the day,went through a rough period where I had to grow up faster than I wanted so collecting stopped. Now that I'm older I enjoy collecting art,various forms like posters statues,1/6 scale,movie props ect. As one poster said it about surrounding yourself with stuff you like and enjoy. I enjoy seeing my masterpiece transformers,Hot Toys,statues ranging from 1/6 scale to 1/3 scale,1/1 Endo skulls,ect in my man cave. I don't play with this stuff tho,it's posed and displayed.

My wife's okay with it,actually finds my shit cool cause she's a big movie fan too. As for others I could care less if they think it's childish or whatever they wanna think. Everyone who's seen my collection is AMAZED by the Hot Toys. But anyway it's my getaway and it serves its purpose. Only got one life,might as well enjoy it and not worry about what others think.

Beth Cyra

That looks nice. Sentinel have other stuff coming as well, such as Shin Getter 1. This is looking a good amount larger than previous Riobot figures. Also have a new combiner coming with Metamor Force Gravion.

Fewture finally showed off the painted EX Gokin Raideen.

Bandai's DX Combatller V and SOC Mazinkaiser

Oh goddess they have Super Heavy Weight Gravion Coming? Do we know if the parts fully combine with Gran Kaiser?

Arcadia re-releasing 1/3000 SDF-1 for about 36,000yen
XzUNDCh.jpg

they are also announced they will be releasing a Premium Finish Version that has paint apps and glow in the dark

comparison: premium finish vs standard
b0ClqEL.jpg

XEKrpPt.jpg

I haven't seen any. A couple from Prime 1, though. :D

Damn, that's disappointing. Really want Guyver 2 to finish the set with 1 and 3. Be a shame if they only do them now.

And speaking of Guyver, I'm waiting on 3 from Amiami, I went a bit cheaper and went for SAL insured postage. How long do SAL items take? It's been sat on Posting / Collection since Saturday.

grendelrt

Damn, that's disappointing. Really want Guyver 2 to finish the set with 1 and 3. Be a shame if they only do them now.

And speaking of Guyver, I'm waiting on 3 from Amiami, I went a bit cheaper and went for SAL insured postage. How long do SAL items take? It's been sat on Posting / Collection since Saturday.
About 2 weeks for me usually

LiK

I really hope Prime1 doesn't become the new Hot Toys of statues. Their statues are way too big and way too expensive. Love their designs and quality from pics but i wish they made 1/6 scale ones with cheaper prices as an alternative.

Rootbeer

Banned
1/3 is not even in consideration for me. Lol. Even 1/4 puts me off. Yeah, they look like a display you'd see at a movie theater or possibly a museum. No way I could collect those.

I'd love a smaller scale from them.

Well, hopefully amiami ships my Nendo DX BotW Link and SHF droids today. I hate getting payment requests on Friday... makes the waiting unbearable.

LiK

1/3 is not even in consideration for me. Lol. Even 1/4 puts me off. Yeah, they look like a display you'd see at a movie theater or possibly a museum. No way I could collect those.

I'd love a smaller scale from them.

Even their Lady Maria was way too big for me. It especially sucked since even if I did get her, she wouldn't fit in with the Gecco BB figures in terms of scale.

NEO0MJ

People like us. I know Del Toro has a bunch of crazy lifelike figures in his house. So stuff like this would be up his alley.

I don't think Del Toro is the best example of "people like us" :p

We are normal people. Don't consider myself a giant nerd at all. Yeah I watch comic movies,used to collect comics and cards back in the day,went through a rough period where I had to grow up faster than I wanted so collecting stopped. Now that I'm older I enjoy collecting art,various forms like posters statues,1/6 scale,movie props ect. As one poster said it about surrounding yourself with stuff you like and enjoy. I enjoy seeing my masterpiece transformers,Hot Toys,statues ranging from 1/6 scale to 1/3 scale,1/1 Endo skulls,ect in my man cave. I don't play with this stuff tho,it's posed and displayed.

My wife's okay with it,actually finds my shit cool cause she's a big movie fan too. As for others I could care less if they think it's childish or whatever they wanna think. Everyone who's seen my collection is AMAZED by the Hot Toys. But anyway it's my getaway and it serves its purpose. Only got one life,might as well enjoy it and not worry about what others think.

That's cool. I guess that for me something as large (or even half as large) as a person seems kinda excessive.

Oh goddess they have Super Heavy Weight Gravion Coming? Do we know if the parts fully combine with Gran Kaiser?

I don't see why not. It already seems that they have ports for combining on them. Probably want to show that off later as it's still unfinished.

Arcadia re-releasing 1/3000 SDF-1 for about 36,000yen
they are also announced they will be releasing a Premium Finish Version that has paint apps and glow in the dark

The premium version really makes the regular one look like an incomplete toy.

Riobot (Sentinel) 1/12 Mospeada Ride armor comparison vs. original Beagle 1/10.
original (left) vs. new Riobot 1/12 (right):
cl9SPwh.jpg
SmLZfld.jpg

the original was based on the cartoon/anime while the new one (re-designed by the anime mecha creator himself Shinji Aramaki) is based off MOSPEADA Complete Art Works book:
ujO28do.jpg
aMryDTO.jpg

if anyone is curious where these come from:
it's a classic 80's anime called Genesis Climber Mospeada that was adapted in the West to a show called Robotech.
clip:
https://youtu.be/Xq7CYrH-_Kc?t=51s

About 2 weeks for me usually

Yup, about 2 weeks for me as well.

It's been 5 weeks since my Slan Figma shipped (SAL registered) time to panic?
I am in Canada btw, I have gotten stuff in 6 weeks during the holiday rush with SAL, but not in summer.

LiK

It's been 5 weeks since my Slan Figma shipped (SAL registered) time to panic?
I am in Canada btw, I have gotten stuff in 6 weeks during the holiday rush with SAL, but not in summer.

Did you pick Registered? I always choose that for the tracking number.

You should email them to let them know if you haven't received it so they can investigate.

Did you pick Registered? I always choose that for the tracking number.

You should email them to let them know if you haven't received it so they can investigate.
yes I did, sadly here in Canada the tracking number doesn't work with Canada post, it used to work but they changed it a couple of years ago.
Tracking it on the Japanese post site last entry says that it left the country on June 27th.
I am going to wait until later this week since I am use to slow SAL service to Canada but this will be the first time in all my years of purchasing figures from Japan that I wouldn't have received a figure. Hope it shows up this week.

Top Bottom