• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Just FYI AmiAmi has the Figuarts Mark 45 up for preorder still.

Wish you could preorder on CD Japan without paying upfront. I'm skint until next week :(

From what I read on their site if you use a credit card they only charge when it ships. Paypal or debit they charge immediately.

11046666_10152716850592344_8795643581089117054_o.jpg

OK, how on earth do preorders even work on HLJ? I tried preordering Cap and I get a message saying I should expect an email shortly but I never get it and the order isn't in my account. I try again and the same thing happens. Like has it gone through? Have I just ordered two of them by mistake?

EDIT: NVM it's finally shown up.

More Spidey pics.

Spidey vs Daredevil

I've been eyeing off the AoU figures next. Probably Capt and Iron Man. I really want a Hawkeye but I don't really like the Hawkeye in the Odin series.
I think there's an AoU Hawkeye figure coming in a three pack with Widow and another figure which I can't remember. It'll probably be TRU exclusive.

FourMyle

Didn't know this thread existed so I'll ask here now:

Does there exist a line of RPG/D&D/Fantasy figures? I'm not talking about those little miniatures that you have to paint yourself. Just plain old action figures from a fantasy setting.

NateDog

This is a pisstake. Due to one figure getting delayed from March and one being pushed forward from May/June, I have 5 figures coming out this month, and no way to pay for them. Paying for the 3 I expected was bad enough. Seriously fuck this shit. Gonna have to hope AmiAmi won't chew my head off for asking for an extension on payment.

Rootbeer

Banned
That 4-pack is a must... I need that Banner in my life. And I don't yet own a Cinematic Universe Thor so he'll also be a welcome addition.

Drayco21

It only took trips to nine different stores over the past two days, but I finally found scent of the Hobgoblin wave again; even if it's only the two to a case pizza Spidey. Also found some of the Thanos wave at retail- just missed a Walmart opening a new case by an hour and everything but Iron Man was picked clean, but a Target today had a Hulk. Decided to grab Stark too since it was buy one get one half off.

Hulk and Spidey are rad, Iron Man is still kinda underwhelming- will probably take some pictures tonight.

robochimp

If anyone has young kids there is a great sale on Hero Mashers at Target ending today.

They qualify for the buy 1 get 1 50% off, there is a cartwheel offer for 15% off, plus there are coupons on random figures for buy 2 get $5 off.

After red card savings two ended up being a total of $7.30.

I just preordered my first thing from Big bad Toy Store, it was Marvel Select Carnage. So excited! When I checked out, I went back to the product page and they sold out again. I was just in time. Cant wait.

I just preordered my first thing from Big bad Toy Store, it was Marvel Select Carnage. So excited! When I checked out, I went back to the product page and they sold out again. I was just in time. Cant wait.

Ended up canceling my preorder because of how much bigger he is than Select Venom. Sucks because the figure looks fantastic.

Just binge-watched The Last Airbender (my first time watching) and I really wish Revoltech could make some figures based on it. It seems Nickelodeon shows the series no love, though.

Drayco21

Just binge-watched The Last Airbender (my first time watching) and I really wish Revoltech could make some figures based on it. It seems Nickelodeon shows the series no love, though.

It still baffles me how poorly the original western toyline was mishandled by Mattel. It should have been a merchandising giant, and instead they killed it prematurely because surely no one would want to buy toys of girl characters from a "boy's show".

Chorazin

I just ordered waaaaay to many Nendoroid from AmiAmi over the weekend. Curse their pre-owned figure section having crazy good deals!

It still baffles me how poorly the original western toyline was mishandled by Mattel. It should have been a merchandising giant, and instead they killed it prematurely because surely no one would want to buy toys of girl characters from a "boy's show".

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. There's hardly any merchandise out there and that makes me really sad. Maybe one day we'll get something.

KingV

Greetings Action Figure GAF.

I started collecting action figures fairly recently after lusting at some comic book figures. Marvel Select Venom broke me and I had to have him. Since then, I have bought a few other Marvel Selects, Samus Figma, and the Mario Figuarts and playsets.... and I'm certainly eyeing several other things.

One question I have is what are some good action stands? Now that I have some Spidey toys, I need to display them in Spideyesque action poses. Are the Bandai Tamashii Stages suitable for Marvel Selects? They look full featured, and I'm thinking of buying some of their action effects to complete my action poses, but I know they are also typically meant for Japanese 6" figures and Marvel Select are bigger, and superior to their lowly Marvel Legends cousins ;-)

dangeROSS

I stumbled upon the new Infinite Avengers wave figures the other day and even though I'm trying not to buy anymore stuff, I picked up Iron Man, Captain America and Hulk. They are all really nice figures.

JVq5yxTl.jpg

I mainly wanted Hulk, as I only have the Legends First appearance Green Hulk and thought it'd be nice to have a newer version of the character. I never got the Walmart Avengers Hulk so I was happy to grab this version. When I first saw pictures of him, I thought the chest sculpt looked really bad and I was just going to pass on him. But in hand it doesn't really bother me at all. Only if you bring his chest all the way backwards does it start to look funky. Most of the time it looks fine and works well. He's a big figure and has alot of nice poseability. Plus I love the fact that he has too nice looking fists rather then "Slappy Hands" alot of other Hulks seemed to end up with. And the fact that he is a larger figure who also happens to get double jointed elbows too? Yes please. The arms are a bit of a different color then the torso, but only under alot of scrutinity and lighting did I notice. It's not enough to be very obvious of annoying. The Headsculpt is great too, very well done. My only issues were the range of movement on his feet and head. So I cut away some plastic around the top of his feet, so that they get more of a forward motion. I didn't cut alot, but I think it already helped a bit with things. I may cut things out a little more to improve things further. Not sure yet. He was also a bit bow-legged, but nothing major and after using some hot water to help straighten things out, it has helped alleviate the issue.

s5HhsrGl.jpg

I also shaved off some plastic on the back of his head to that he could look upwards a bit more. Simple and easy. I think it has helped a bit with things. I don't know if I will cut more plastic off there yet or not.

YeP86twl.jpg

I have to bust out with my old Toybiz Hulkbuster now to tangle with this version of the Hulk.

bfGdJdGl.jpg

I wasn't sure about the Iron Man figure, but I have ended up really liking it. I think I still prefer the larger bulkier hulk of the Bleeding Edge Iron Man figure, but the range of motion on this figure is just really enjoyable. The torso joint in particular is something I'm really warming up to. Being able to do forward and back motion as well as leaning side to side and such adds alot of dynamic options to me. It works well with this figure. Plus he is not hindered on his double jointed legs or arms at all which is always welcome. His feet have the great ankle pivot, but as with this new joint it seems Hasbro figures lose alot of the upward movement of the feet. Just like Hulk and other Hasbro figures. It's not an earth shattering amount, but I might go in and shave his feet down a bit to get some more upward motion. I have done this kind of surgery on Hulk and one or two other Hasbro figures and it seems to work without sacrificing much in the way of sculpting.

I did heat and pop his hands so that he could have access to alternate hands from an Iron Man 2 movie figure I had. The hand pegs were pretty similar in size and just needed a bit of sanding down to allow them to fit the new Ironman figure's wrist peg length. Now he can have two fists, or two repulsar hands, or a combination of them. Which is something I really wanted to be able to do with the figure. So I'm very happy with that.

CYS2dMXl.jpg

E0hlTCPl.jpg

The only other thing that kind of bothers me is that he can't exactly kick his legs out all the way in front of him. But I don't think that will bug me to much and I'm not sure I want to try dremeling his hip sockets to try and improve the range of motion.

Overall he is really great and is just plain fun to pose.

Lastly is Captain America. I already had the Winter Soldeir Cap figure that this new version is based on, but I think that is such a great figure I was willing to get another version of it with more classical Cap colors. He's just as good as the Winter Soldier cap. Really nice sculpt, wonderful articulation, and great interchangable hands. His shield is awesome too. It might be my favorite legends scale Cap shield. I think they may have changed the inside a bit as it fits much easier onto caps arm then the WS one seemed to. It kinda stinks you can't attach it to his back, but I can live with that. He is more vibrantly brighter then the WS Cap, even the skin tone. I think I still kind of prefer the look of the Marvel Now Captain America figure, but for as much as I like that figure visually he just doesn't have a great range of motion. Which is a bummer. And I am always worried that using that figures torso joint will cause even more paint rub so I hardly want to move him. The Age of Ultron Cap has no paint rub issues and can get into all sorts of poses. I did pop off the Marvel Now Captain America headsculpt to see what it would look like on this Cap and it actually looks nice. Colors are pretty similar and I like the more comic book style of it. It's a little loose, but a pretty close fit. I am tempted to use it more often then the standard head for this figure. I also tested the Target 3 pack Captain America head. It didn't fit as well, but it still looked alright. I have an extra version of that characters headsculpt that I may look into modding to fit this guy instead. We will see.

gkMlNQIl.jpg

k5cUyQml.jpg

So I am happy with all three characters. I don't usually go for movie figures, but I think they could all easily pass as comic book versions if you would really want them to. They are worth picking up if you are interested in the characters.

u6eilPOl.jpg

KingV
Regarding Figure stands:
I was in that same boat. I always wanted some great stands.
I bought a ton of Whippy Display Stands from a buddy overseas a while back. They are the best things I've used to display figures. They work great with Marvel Legends. DCUC and any other type of figure I've thrown at them. Including the Marvel Select Venom. They seem to be harder to find now. But you can still sometimes get them on ebay. I have spares too if anyone is looking for some.

nNYasP1l.jpg

s0lphs4l.jpg

They aren't however as crazy poseable as some of those Bandai Tamashii Stages.

If you want to save money and don't care bout having vertical flight stand things, you can always try to get some of the bases that came with the Walmart Avengers figures. They fit the Hasbro legends figures well and you can buy them fairly cheap from ebay sellers. They are stackable and can be attached to one another to so they allow for some neat options.

I have also gotten Neca Display stands. They are perfect for the older Toybiz Legends and lots of other 6inch figures. The Hasbro legends for whatever reason do not fit the peg holes on these stands too well though.

qv1O4zDl.jpg

curb

Banned
KingV
Regarding Figure stands:
I was in that same boat. I always wanted some great stands.
I bought a ton of Whippy Display Stands from a buddy overseas a while back. They are the best things I've used to display figures. They work great with Marvel Legends. DCUC and any other type of figure I've thrown at them. Including the Marvel Select Venom. They seem to be harder to find now. But you can still sometimes get them on ebay. I have spares too if anyone is looking for some.

I bought one of those stands for my recent ML Captain Marvel and I agree, it's pretty great.

Chorazin

I'm freaking addicted to these things. I've picked up five total in the past few weeks, and I have five more on the way from AmiAmi. Plastic crack is real ya'll.

Thank goodness I have a very understanding girlfriend and plenty of disposable income!

Einbroch

Banned
I'm freaking addicted to these things. I've picked up five total in the past few weeks, and I have five more on the way from AmiAmi. Plastic crack is real ya'll.

Thank goodness I have a very understanding girlfriend and plenty of disposable income!

Nendoroids yessssssssss

KingV

I received a mega order today of the following:

- marvel select amazing spider-man 2 firefighter figure
- good smiles figma samus
- Figuarts Mario + Luigi + play sets

Man, I gotta say the articulation on Spidey is super disappointing. He just can't get into cool enough action poses. I'm seriously thinking of converting my Marvel efforts more towards Legends, even though I love the Selects sculpts and size. I wish somebody would make figures with the sculpt quality of Marvel Selects, the articulation of marvel legends, and the number of accessories as Marvel Select Venom. I feel like some of the Japanese brands come close, but they have really limited numbers of western characters and I'm not much of an anime fan. Is it wrong that I want to stage an epic Spider-Man fight all over my office (Dork room)?

I'm considering buying the BAF green goblin series, after seeing some good deals... Any thoughts from anyone on it? I REALLY want the rhino series at a later date.

Drayco21

I'm considering buying the BAF green goblin series, after seeing some good deals... Any thoughts from anyone on it? I REALLY want the rhino series at a later date.

Before the Pizza Party Spider-Man in the current Hobgoblin series, the Green Goblin series Amazing Spider-Man became my favorite Spidey figure ever; kinda weird shoulder joints aside, he's incredibly posable and looks phenomenal. The only issue is that he's a movie Spidey, so if you're among those that can't stand to see them mix because the movie spider emblem throws you, that could be a deal breaker for you. I'd recommend not letting it break the deal for you though; it's a great figure.

Superior Spider-Man is pretty good too, for much the same reasons that Amazing and Pizza Spidey are, but he gets held back for me by all the missing details with his costume. He poses great though; if they had just gone a little further with him, he could have been one of the best.

Toxin was super mediocre- the sculpt ends up looking much better painted white for Anti-Venom. He's just so boring as Toxin, and his face looks goofy as hell. The Carnage Swap Figure is a fictional unicorn that was never real.

Boomerang is pretty much the perfect Boomerang. His head sculpt is this super well done sneer and it looks great, especially with Hasbro's commitment to making everyone look as bored to death as possible. Beetle is solid too, and looks Kamen Rider as fuck, but is just kinda forgettable by token of being the swap for a figure as awesome as Fred.

Anya is one of my favorite Spider-Family members so it's hard to think about her figure as anything other than being awesome by token of actually being an Anya figure. The teen girl body they introduced for her and Jubilee feels like it could use a little more articulation- the elbows are weirdly stiff and the hips don't feel like they get the range they should, but that's mostly just nickpicking. I never bothered with Black Cat so I can't say anything there, but she looked pretty good in-person.

Electro is just kinda boring- the blue all over his suit looks really poorly applied and sloppy, not at all like it's glowing which I guess is what they were going for? He has two heads, but even the shocking head has a super neutral, bored expression on his face- he's pretty much only good for background filler in a movie display and for the BAF piece.

Ultimate Green Goblin is radical. He's a big, heavily modified Hulk covered in spikes- though a couple weren't painted for budget reasons. His head looks great, and he makes a perfect addition to a Spidey shelf. My only real problems with him is that his flame effects don't clip on very well.

Overall, it was a really based set- I wasn't sure it'd be topped until the Hobgoblin and Rhino series were announced. Hasbro keeps knockin' it out of the park.

KingV

Before the Pizza Party Spider-Man in the current Hobgoblin series, the Green Goblin series Amazing Spider-Man became my favorite Spidey figure ever; kinda weird shoulder joints aside, he's incredibly posable and looks phenomenal. The only issue is that he's a movie Spidey, so if you're among those that can't stand to see them mix because the movie spider emblem throws you, that could be a deal breaker for you. I'd recommend not letting it break the deal for you though; it's a great figure.

Superior Spider-Man is pretty good too, for much the same reasons that Amazing and Pizza Spidey are, but he gets held back for me by all the missing details with his costume. He poses great though; if they had just gone a little further with him, he could have been one of the best.

Toxin was super mediocre- the sculpt ends up looking much better painted white for Anti-Venom. He's just so boring as Toxin, and his face looks goofy as hell. The Carnage Swap Figure is a fictional unicorn that was never real.

Boomerang is pretty much the perfect Boomerang. His head sculpt is this super well done sneer and it looks great, especially with Hasbro's commitment to making everyone look as bored to death as possible. Beetle is solid too, and looks Kamen Rider as fuck, but is just kinda forgettable by token of being the swap for a figure as awesome as Fred.

Anya is one of my favorite Spider-Family members so it's hard to think about her figure as anything other than being awesome by token of actually being an Anya figure. The teen girl body they introduced for her and Jubilee feels like it could use a little more articulation- the elbows are weirdly stiff and the hips don't feel like they get the range they should, but that's mostly just nickpicking. I never bothered with Black Cat so I can't say anything there, but she looked pretty good in-person.

Electro is just kinda boring- the blue all over his suit looks really poorly applied and sloppy, not at all like it's glowing which I guess is what they were going for? He has two heads, but even the shocking head has a super neutral, bored expression on his face- he's pretty much only good for background filler in a movie display and for the BAF piece.

Ultimate Green Goblin is radical. He's a big, heavily modified Hulk covered in spikes- though a couple weren't painted for budget reasons. His head looks great, and he makes a perfect addition to a Spidey shelf. My only real problems with him is that his flame effects don't clip on very well.

Overall, it was a really based set- I wasn't sure it'd be topped until the Hobgoblin and Rhino series were announced. Hasbro keeps knockin' it out of the park.

Thanks for the reviews. I was able to score a case of 8 for $109, supposedly including Carnage instead of Toxin and Black Cat instead of Anya. It's a shame the Toxin figure is so bad, in theory he could be a cool figure. I wouldn't mind a Marvel Select version, because they would get the sculpt right.

I will probably pick up boomeranged as well. It looks like he is on clearance at Wal-Mart.

Really looking forward to the Hobgoblin set, but may just wait a bit and buy a case again. I'd start buying piecemeal but I will be furious if I have to pay $40 for Daredevil just for the BAF piece (since I don't actually care about the character).

Cptkrush

I actually picked up a hobgoblin complete baf loose from eBay for 50 bucks last month because I had no interest in any of the new line other than pizza spidey. So if you only want a couple figures, that's probably your best bet

hunchback

Has anyone ever tried to touch up the paint on a figure? I received the 2012 Marvel Select "The Avengers" Hulk yesterday. I like the figure. It has good size and you can pose it pretty well. I am bummed at the paint. It looks a little sloppy around the toes. There is a few extra splotches of black and purple on the calf. The most glaring is a spot on Hulk's back where a small spot is the base coat and not green. This came in the in the original packaging. It didn't look tampered with at all. Has anyone ever dealt with something like this? Am I being to picky? This is my first action figure besides a SS or Hot Toys.

I actually picked up a hobgoblin complete baf loose from eBay for 50 bucks last month because I had no interest in any of the new line other than pizza spidey. So if you only want a couple figures, that's probably your best bet

The fact you wouldn't want a Daredevil or Spidey 2099 hurts my brain.

Top Bottom