• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 5 |OT| Welcome to the Multiverse

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZimbAdam

Saw that leaked Season 5 episode.

Spoilers for Season 5:

Can't believe everything's back to normal now. Very curious to see if Bubblegum's and Finn's relationship gets repaired. Also, what's the deal with the alternate world? And Marceline being a half-demon instead of a vampire? And Finn having a robotic arm? And it apparently being set in the future AND as a precursor to the series? And was the "ironic twist" for Finn's wish to be put right before the Lich was unleashed to the world? AND, WHAT WAS THE IRONIC COMPONENT OF JAKE'S WISH?

All things to think about.

Well, I figure that Marceline being half demon is simply explained by her dad being who he is. She was half demon all along, I'd guess that she became a vampire after the mushroom war took place, thus her youth in the normal timeline.

Also, it was set in the same time period as the normal time line. Normally Simon wouldn't have stopped the bomb from going off, the bomb that would release the Lich and cause Ooo to be created.

Wow. Mind bending. Anyone catch the mistake when they showed the corpse with the crown even though Finn was wearing it? Heh.

So this isn't what actually happened, right? Just an alternate take?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't watch much Adventure Time (this was my first season premier, probably will now on lol), but who were those weird Destiny Gang dudes?

They reminded me of Groose from Skyward Sword.

Wow. Mind bending. Anyone catch the mistake when they showed the corpse with the crown even though Finn was wearing it? Heh.

So this isn't what actually happened, right? Just an alternate take?

Caught that. BUT WHAT IF IT'S SYMBOLIC!!??!?

Nah, it's probably just an animation error. Hopefully they'll fix it up in syndication / future releases.

LuffyZoro

But I posted it after I watches it on TV? It certainly aired.

So... basically the alternate reality never happened? How do we know how much of that was true?!?

It's all true and it happened, but Jake (and Prismo + Cosmic Owl, I guess) is now the only one with any memory of it.

LowParry

It's all true and it happened, but Jake (and Prismo + Cosmic Owl, I guess) is now the only one with any memory of it.

It did but it didn't happen at the same time since Jake returned himself and Finn back to the beginning when they enter the cube and see the Lich. It did and didn't. If that makes sense. lol

Ultratech

But I posted it after I watched it on TV? It certainly aired.

So... basically the alternate reality never happened? How do we know how much of that was true?!?

Technically...it happened. Though Jake's actions kinda nullified it.

Also, Jake seems to remember everything that happened. ("I saved us all!")

Kuroyume

Banned
Good episode. Started off really strong but didn't finish as strongly. Really liked the characters in the alternate universe including the Human Loose Goose.

I don't watch much Adventure Time (this was my first season premier, probably will now on lol), but who were those weird Destiny Gang dudes?

They reminded me of Groose from Skyward Sword.

That was the first time they were on the show.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That was the first time they were on the show.

Oh, I assumed they were meant to be "humanoid" versions of previously seen characters...like how, as you mentioned, there was a humanoid Choose Goose.

There's a multiverse? I really need to catch up with this show, I've barely seen an ep since about halfway through season 2 even though I loved it.

Technically...it happened. Though Jake's actions kinda nullified it.

The Lich wished for all life to be destroyed in the universe.
Ironic twist? It's probably that Finn and Jake were able to step inside the Cosmic Cube...despite the fact that all life was supposed to have been destroyed.

Fin wished for the Lich to never have existed.
Ironic twist? Finn was the one who unleashed the Lich onto the world.

Jake wished that the Lich's wish was that Finn and Jake made it home safely.
Ironic twist? Who knows.

So thanks to Jake's wish, the Lich's original wish was never fulfilled. Because the Lich's wish was never fulfilled, I'm not sure how the alternate reality could have happened.

Mordeccai

So Marcelline did in fact guard Simon for however long, that wasn't an alternate reality caused by Finns wish that was nullified?

All this time line stuff is mind bending :p

ZimbAdam

So Marcelline did in fact guard Simon for however long, that wasn't an alternate reality caused by Finns wish that was nullified?

All this time line stuff is mind bending :p

None of it happened or is relevant to the current time line, but Jake knows about it. None of the things caused by Finn's wish actually happened.

LowParry

Jake's wish is very specific so there wouldn't be any twist to his wish. As for the Lich's twist, who knows. By the time his wish was finish, Jake and Finn were already inside the cube and safe from time. Finn we already know what happened there. The war was postponed 1000 years and in turn, Finn becomes the Ice King and Jake becomes the Lich.

Which brings up the discussion from the last thread. Was the Lich created by the nuke as we saw with alt Jake?

IrishNinja

first ep was so good, after that incredible finale. cant wait to see where this season goes!

props to WordAssassin, great looking OP.

The Hermit

I love how Finn's episode is so weird super-realistic while Jake's just chilling with apparently the most powerful beings on the Universe.

I am kinda reliefed everything went back to normal... btw, the snail is not in any of those episodes right?

I love how Finn's episode is so weird super-realistic while Jake's just chilling with apparently the most powerful beings on the Universe.

I am kinda reliefed everything went back to normal... btw, the snail is not in any of those episodes right?

He's there in both episodes.

S05_E01.jpg

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Disappointed they hit the reset switch so quickly. I would have liked several episodes with Finn and Jake chasing the Lich each taking place in an alternate universe and ending with Prismo's cube.

The Hermit

Disappointed they hit the reset switch so quickly. I would have liked several episodes with Finn and Jake chasing the Lich each taking place in an alternate universe and ending with Prismo's cube.

Me too, but I think it was getting a bit too serious.
At least we finally saw how Choose Goose is as a human.

sca2511

Very cool episode, I agree it should of been in that universe a tad longer, but I'm really wondering what happened to the Lich.

sn00zer

I think the biggest thing people havent talked about is this
Notice that he looks like normal Jake
Jake claims that he thought he might have gotten them by rolling around in a mud puddle when he was still a pup as stated in the episode, "The Witch's Garden,"
Rabbit hole goes deep in this show

Raxus

I am curious now if the lich actually was a dog from Jake's family or an alternate Jake like we saw. Did the muta bomb make the lich or did the lich cause the muta bomb to happen? Who set off a muta bomb? So many questions!!!!

Kinda messed up that one arm Finn's world doesn't exist anymore.Sure it sucked, but still he did have a family. Even it still exist it's fubar now.

Very cool episode, I agree it should of been in that universe a tad longer, but I'm really wondering what happened to the Lich.
At first, I just figured the Lich would have just ended up getting sent back to Billy's place or something, since he got his wish and everything. But I actually just had another thought as I was reading through this thread: what if the Lich's fate was (since he was the one who made it, whether he intended to or not) the ironic twist of his wish? Prismo did say, that unless you get really specific, all his wishes have a twist.

Jake's wish was "I wish the Lich's wish was that Finn and I would be sent back to Ooo." That's probably specific enough to avoid there being a twist to it (although technically the wish is actually vague enough that it's possible that Finn and Jake were sent to an alternate version of Ooo, since Jake didn't specify it had to be the one they actually knew, but I doubt that's what ended up happening), and more interesting is that Prismo said he "could work with that" when Jake made the wish.

However, that made the Lich's wish be "I wish for Finn and Jake to be sent back to Ooo." Note what he didn't mention though: himself. Meaning after the wish was made, he would still be stuck there wish Prismo. And since not only is the portal closed now, but from earlier events, the Enchiridion still seems to be completely destroyed... it would seem that the twist of the Lich's new wish would be that he'd be stuck with Prismo for all eternity.

Of course, even if that is what happened to Lich-Billy, I doubt that would mean we've seen the last of him, because as someone else pointed out earlier in here, it seems the Snail was still up to something in the background of theses eps, so I suppose either way it doesn't really matter.

At first, I just figured the Lich would have just ended up getting sent back to Billy's place or something, since he got his wish and everything. But I actually just had another thought as I was reading through this thread: what if the Lich's fate was (since he was the one who made it, whether he intended to or not) the ironic twist of his wish? Prismo did say, that unless you get really specific, all his wishes have a twist.

Jake's wish was "I wish the Lich's wish was that Finn and I would be sent back to Ooo." That's probably specific enough to avoid there being a twist to it (although technically the wish is actually vague enough that it's possible that Finn and Jake were sent to an alternate version of Ooo, since Jake didn't specify it had to be the one they actually knew, but I doubt that's what ended up happening), and more interesting is that Prismo said he "could work with that" when Jake made the wish.

However, that made the Lich's wish be "I wish for Finn and Jake to be sent back to Ooo." Note what he didn't mention though: himself. Meaning after the wish was made, he would still be stuck there wish Prismo. And since not only is the portal closed now, but from earlier events, the Enchiridion still seems to be completely destroyed... it would seem that the twist of the Lich's new wish would be that he'd be stuck with Prismo for all eternity.

Of course, even if that is what happened to Lich-Billy, I doubt that would mean we've seen the last of him, because as someone else pointed out earlier in here, it seems the Snail was still up to something in the background of theses eps, so I suppose either way it doesn't really matter.

The lich lives on in the snail, who was shown to be near the hotdog kingdom when the world was restored and AFTER the Lich made his second wish.

So even if Lich's physical manifestation inside the Cosmic Cube spends all eternity there, he always has his vessel back in the land of Ooo that he could possess and presumably find a way to get back into the world of the living.

And I don't think Jake's wish was specific enough. There's definitely lots of loopholes that could be read into this (like that alternate version of Ooo you mentioned, or an alternate Finn and Jake, etc.)

But maybe the fact that the Lich is still within Ooo through the snail is that "ironic twist."

kai3345

Banned
Only ever caught random episodes here and there of the show. But I decided to watch this one and had no idea what was going on. So I popped in here to see what I was missing.

Damn, didn't realize this show had LOST levels of lore and backstory. Will have to check out the other episodes in order.

I hadn't even noticed there was a hidden snail before reading it in these threads.

It was definitely a running gag at first, but once it got possessed...it became an important character.

The snail was instrumental for the events of the Season 4 finale, so its continued presence in every episode is kind of haunting.

And either way, we have no clue what actually ended up happening to the snail, so it's definitely something that can easily be brought back in the future.

Ultratech

The lich lives on in the snail, who was shown to be near the hotdog kingdom when the world was restored and AFTER the Lich made his second wish.

So even if Lich's physical manifestation inside the Cosmic Cube spends all eternity there, he always has his vessel back in the land of Ooo that he could possess and presumably find a way to get back into the world of the living.

And I don't think Jake's wish was specific enough. There's definitely lots of loopholes that could be read into this (like that alternate version of Ooo you mentioned, or an alternate Finn and Jake, etc.)

But maybe the fact that the Lich is still within Ooo through the snail is that "ironic twist."

Lich is gone from the Cube. Primo was mentioned something about Finn and Jake hanging around in there, since once you make a wish, you're forced out. Where he ended up is a mystery though.

As for Jake's wish...I doubt there's a twist to it since it was pretty specific and Prismo practically told Jake what to wish for to return everything back to normal (or close).
(Keep in mind the "twists" Prismo were talking about are a design flaw in non-specific wishes in general.)

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew

Spoiler for those who haven't seen the first 2 episodes then...
He has started changing into magical/demon/litchmonster thingy Jake at that point.

It was definitely a running gag at first, but once it got possessed...it became an important character.

The snail was instrumental for the events of the Season 4 finale, so its continued presence in every episode is kind of haunting.
Actually, in the first (nope, fourth) season, the Finn-aping bear receives the Enchiridion from Finn and brings it to the snail who is very much possessed. Goes back to the beginning. They even showed the episode tonight before the new eps.

Edit: wow, I think watching all of the first season on dvd and reruns on tv really confused me as to when episodes aired. I was wrong.

Wow, I really need to catch up on this show. Watched the first 2 seasons, a few of s4 then this one. Maybe I'm missing too much backstory but I really don't like this new direction.

It's really annoying when the writers just keep making up more and more powerful beings just because. Typical comic book bullshit.

Wow, I really need to catch up on this show. Watched the first 2 seasons, a few of s4 then this one. Maybe I'm missing too much backstory but I really don't like this new direction.

It's really annoying when the writers just keep making up more and more powerful beings just because. Typical comic book bullshit.

What's the more powerful being?

fallagin

I don't understand what you mean.
Prismo is a pretty neutral character(at least in terms of the powers that he has) The lich has actually been pretty weak recently and any character that is super powerful is either really dumb or they don't care to engage anyone.

What's the more powerful being?

Prismo, Cosmic Owl, Magic Man, The Witch from S1. They all seem like omniscient gods whose powers know no limit. They are usually defeated in some cheap way. What's the point of an antagonist like the lych if there are at least 4 other guys more powerful than him. What more, the extend of their powers are simply unkown, they just are.

That'd be actually ok, it's a goofy show after all, but it simply doesn't work when they try to get serious like these stupid mini story arcs. The ending of this story arc was simply disappointing.

LuffyZoro

Prismo, Cosmic Owl, Magic Man, The Witch from S1. They all seem like omniscient gods whose powers know no limit. They are usually defeated in some cheap way. What's the point of an antagonist like the lych if there are at least 4 other guys more powerful than him. What more, the extend of their powers are simply unkown, they just are.

That'd be actually ok, it's a goofy show after all, but it simply doesn't work when they try to get serious like these stupid mini story arcs. The ending of this story arc was simply disappointing.

Prismo can't do anything on his own accord, he can just grant the wishes of things that somehow manage to make it in his time cube. Cosmic Owl is unconcerned with the dealings of mortals, and so won't interfere. Magic Man, true, is incredibly powerful, but just uses his powers to dick around, not to try to take anything over. The Witch isn't actually that powerful, I don't think.

Magic Man is about on par with the rest of the wizards, he's just more malicious in his use but I'd say he's less powerful than the ice king even. The first two generally dont give a crap
prismo's main reason for helping jake was so he could monkeys paw the lich, and the cosmic owl doesnt even interact with "singulars" other than appearing in dreams
so Im not sure what you're complaining about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom