• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 5 |OT| Welcome to the Multiverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prismo, Cosmic Owl, Magic Man, The Witch from S1. They all seem like omniscient gods whose powers know no limit. They are usually defeated in some cheap way. What's the point of an antagonist like the lych if there are at least 4 other guys more powerful than him. What more, the extend of their powers are simply unkown, they just are.

That'd be actually ok, it's a goofy show after all, but it simply doesn't work when they try to get serious like these stupid mini story arcs. The ending of this story arc was simply disappointing.

Cosmic Owl is the only one like a god, he's from Season 1, and he's never defeated nor does he really show any powers. The rest are just magic dudes who can grant wishes and cast spells, which isn't really out of the ordinary in Ooo. Prismo is omniscient kinda, I guess, but again he's just a wish-granter. The Witch never seemed more powerful than the Lich to me.

fallagin

Prismo, Cosmic Owl, Magic Man, The Witch from S1. They all seem like omniscient gods whose powers know no limit. They are usually defeated in some cheap way. What's the point of an antagonist like the lych if there are at least 4 other guys more powerful than him. What more, the extend of their powers are simply unkown, they just are.

That'd be actually ok, it's a goofy show after all, but it simply doesn't work when they try to get serious like these stupid mini story arcs. The ending of this story arc was simply disappointing.

You should seriously check out season 3 & 4 before you make your decision about the direction of the show. I was going to come up with an argument, but I think it might spoil you.

Hey guys, I want to catch up with adventure time badly, so, should i watch season 3 if I want to understand what is happening right now? Or just season 4?

fallagin

Hey guys, I want to catch up with adventure time badly, so, should i watch season 3 if I want to understand what is happening right now? Or just season 4?

Hmmm, I think that you can watch the first and last episodes of season 3 and watch all of season 4 and you should be fine. Unless I am missing something..

Edit: I can't remember exactly what happened in season 3

Just watch all of season 3 actually, some pretty great things happen.

CorvoSol

What's the more powerful being?

The show already established that The King of Mars was so powerful that even Grod was beholden to him, and Death could not lay hold over him without his own willingness. So while Prismo, Grod, and the Cosmic Owl and Death and Marceline's dad must all be beyond Finn's scope at this present point, the King of Mars was apparently beyond even their touch.

Just like Jesus, Abe didn't die until he LET IT HAPPEN.

Anyway, I think the truly most upsetting part of all of this isn't the removal of Finn's parents because they're likely dead already. The REALLY upsetting thing is the death of Finn's unnamed, gender unknown sibling. Unless that baby was supposed to be Susan Strong, it seems to me that Finn has a sibling out there somewhere, or at least HAD one.

Also, I like how Finn cynically tells Marceline that the Old Prophets just used their magic to get money and babes, but then in a terrible twist, Magic IS real, Simon WAS a Wizard, and the Ancients somehow harnessed magic into a bomb.

And that's a strange enough revelation for the show. Unless the skulls are meant to be a metaphor for how terrifying nuclear weapons are (and it'd be an apt way of telling children how scary nuclear weapons are), then that means that at the same time that Simon Petrikov discovered the crown and brought back his own brand of magic, humanity had harnessed some manner of dark magic into a bomb.

Oh, and that at the time of the Mushroom War, vampires already existed, since Marceline had to be bitten by one, and since they already had a King who Marceline would go on to kill. And while we're on the subject of reading WAY too far into this, Marceline's fangs are apparently part of her demonic heritage and not her being a vampire, since her skull had enlarged canines in spite of her never having been bitten.

But why did the Lichquid transform Jake into a Lich and Bubblegum into a Lich but not Marceline? Why was Marceline not turned when the Lich's influence can overtake even Billy, who in his prime was greater than even Marceline?

WHY AM I THINKING THIS MUCH ABOUT THIS SHOW?

fallagin

Alright, I'll do that, and see how that goes.

I was wrong, you should watch the last 2 episodes of season 2 then the last 2 episodes of season 3 then the first episode of season 4 then episode 47b"lady and peebles" of season 4 then the last 2 episodes of season 4. That should get you caught up for the most part, but there is still alot of cool stuff you would miss that aren't necessarily huge parts of the story.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I like this show a lot more when it's just Finn and Jake having random crazy adventures. Too much exposition leads to confusions and potential contradiction. Especially when considering multiverses. Keep yo comic writing outta my cartoon.

Raxus

I was wrong, you should watch the last 2 episodes of season 2 then the last 2 episodes of season 3 then the first episode of season 4 then episode 47b"lady and peebles" of season 4 then the last 2 episodes of season 4. That should get you caught up for the most part, but there is still alot of cool stuff you would miss that aren't necessarily huge parts of the story.

Those are key points but you miss a ton of character development skipping episodes like Who Would Win and BMO Noir. Honestly there is no reason not to sit down and watch every episode of this series. Glad to see it staying on a high note for so long.
I like this show a lot more when it's just Finn and Jake having random crazy adventures. Too much exposition leads to confusions and potential contradiction. Especially when considering multiverses. Keep yo comic writing outta my cartoon.

Part of the reason I am confused why people are disappointed they returned to the 'status quo' so fast. The overarching plot is great in small doses but I feel this show works best when you are just given a heaping helping of absurd adventures.

elsk

Banned
I think the biggest thing people havent talked about is this

Notice that he looks like normal Jake

I agree. I think is kind of obvious that those bombs are filled with some kind of magic, that converts the world to what it is in Ooo. So Jake gets transformed into the "magic" Jake but for some reason also has the lich inside.

Why don't you watch the whole 4 seasons? They are good, you'll regret jumping from season 1 to 3 later... you'll want to watch more episodes, trust me. Just watch it all, the episodes are very short anyway. And most episodes are great.

First ep was disappointing in terms of the season's future, but a great ep on itself.

I get it now :(

First thing is first:

Hey WordAssassin, I might have some time in a few days and I'm looking for something relaxing to do without much thought, do you mind if I steal some of your thumbnails and draw 'em?

Actually, can I do this too?
Yes, totally! Poste them in this thread when you're done please!

Now, to try and clear up some confusion.

Can't believe everything's back to normal now. Very curious to see if Bubblegum's and Finn's relationship gets repaired. Also, what's the deal with the alternate world? And Marceline being a half-demon instead of a vampire? And Finn having a robotic arm? And it apparently being set in the future AND as a precursor to the series? And was the "ironic twist" for Finn's wish to be put right before the Lich was unleashed to the world? AND, WHAT WAS THE IRONIC COMPONENT OF JAKE'S WISH?

All things to think about.

So this isn't what actually happened, right? Just an alternate take?

So... basically the alternate reality never happened? How do we know how much of that was true?!?

None of it happened or is relevant to the current time line, but Jake knows about it. None of the things caused by Finn's wish actually happened.

Here's the thing. Pen never wanted to do a Mushroom War episode because it happened in the past, and the only way to tell it would be have some characters talking about it. They did that (in a clever way, IMO) with the Christmas episodes where Finn and Jake watch VHS tapes showing Simon becoming the Ice King, but people complained A LOT about that episode being boring and in reality, it was. It was Finn and Jake watching TV for 22 minutes while we learned the story of the Ice King.
So instead of doing that, they set up an alternate timeline, where Finn actually EXPERIENCES the Mushroom War himself. Yes, some things are different so we have to make assumptions
such as Simon didn't stop The Bomb in the main timeline
but for the most part, this was the best way for them to show the Mushroom War without resorting to a boring, exposition-filled flashback episode. "None of it every happened" and "retcon, weaksauce" are not what you are supposed to take away from this episode. The take away is we now know the origin of Ooo and what happened during the Mushroom War.

I don't watch much Adventure Time (this was my first season premier, probably will now on lol), but who were those weird Destiny Gang dudes?

They reminded me of Groose from Skyward Sword.

That was the first time they were on the show.
Pretty sure they're the FarmWorld version of the Pup Gang.

i thought the whole snail thing is just an easter egg to find in every episode? as in, unrelated to the whole lich thing
The Snail is an Easter Egg for the show, always in the background of every episode. They brought him into the plot when he was possessed by The Lich, but now he isn't possessed by him anymore. He may still be a disciple of The Lich, that has yet to be seen, but he could also revert back to his normal Snail self.

so theres a one hour special at the end of this season, any speculation on the plot of that?
It's not scheduled for the end of this season anymore. C'mon! I even said that in the OP.

It's not your cartoon, it's Pen's. He and his team can do whatever stories they want with it. C'mon now.

Another important thing about magic in Ooo and the bombs. I touched on this in the OP but I'll go into more detail here:

The world that Adventure Time is set up in is like this: There was magic. Humans came, and more importantly technology happened, and the magic left. The Mushroom War happened, humans went extinct, magic slowly returned to the world. The bombs dropped in the Mushroom War were not "magic bombs" as I've seen people say, they were nuclear warheads. The bombs themselves were not responsible for magic happening, magic already existed it was just ... in hiding? The bombs may have 'unearthed' it, so to speak, but they did not themselves contain magic.

Tied to this, is the question of how many bombs there were. There was obviously an air strike, and many nukes were dropped. There was, however, The Bomb. The one giant bomb that ended the war and blew a chunk of the Earth away. I think that what happened, in terms for us right now that understand nuclear power and not a child and an old confused demon, is the toxic waste within the nukes mixed with the magic already present in the world, and created Bad Magic which brought about The Lich. The Bad Magic being the green pools of toxic waste with scary ghost clouds we see the Lich is so fond of in each of his appearances. The Bomb, though, the Big Nasty, is the one that blew apart the world.

From that, though, is this: Why was there a war anyway? Were they fighting Simon, who had the power from the Crown? Or did Simon, using the crown, accidentally create/summon The Lich, and the war was against him? I'm reasonably sure it's the former, and as Simon went insane the war was launched against him, and it brought about The Lich, but I'll have to watch the other Lich episodes again to see if they talk about his origin at all.

As far as Power Levels go in the show, The Lich is obviously The Big Bad. He's the crazy super powerful Evil To End All Evil dude, that nobody could take down except for Billy. Finn is now on track to become the new Billy, though. Not just because he died, but because Billy was his hero and what Finn wanted to become anyway.

Jintor

tumblr_mdb8khfuH01qi0es8o1_500.png

Is that from next episode? You should've warned!

Although that makes sense, in a cyclic logic way.
Jake wished that the lych wished for their safety. Who wished the wish? Jake, therefore Jake is the Lych.

The next episode is
Five More Short Graybles
which I'm sure will have literally nothing to do with what happened in the season opening.

Macmanus

Wow. I like this show a lot, but you people blow me away.

I think mixing up the tone is what makes this show so strong. Cute and enduring one episode whilst dark and foreboding the next. Pretty damned impressive.

golem

I think the biggest thing people havent talked about is this

Notice that he looks like normal Jake

Rabbit hole goes deep in this show
I think it was mentioned the bomb contained mutagens? That would mean everyone touched by it would mutate (into the forms they have now on the show I suppose, as previously they were normal humans/dogs/demons/etc)

FillerB

[IMG ]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdf5esUBKq1r31zu2o1_500.png[/IMG]
[IMG ]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdf2ho1kVu1r5j3v8o1_r1_500.jpg[/IMG]

fanartists work fast

Claiming these as potential avatar-material. Groddamn that looks great.

Here's the thing. Pen never wanted to do a Mushroom War episode because it happened in the past, and the only way to tell it would be have some characters talking about it. They did that (in a clever way, IMO) with the Christmas episodes where Finn and Jake watch VHS tapes showing Simon becoming the Ice King, but people complained A LOT about that episode being boring and in reality, it was. It was Finn and Jake watching TV for 22 minutes while we learned the story of the Ice King.
So instead of doing that, they set up an alternate timeline, where Finn actually EXPERIENCES the Mushroom War himself. Yes, some things are different so we have to make assumptions
such as Simon didn't stop The Bomb in the main timeline
but for the most part, this was the best way for them to show the Mushroom War without resorting to a boring, exposition-filled flashback episode. "None of it every happened" and "retcon, weaksauce" are not what you are supposed to take away from this episode. The take away is we now know the origin of Ooo and what happened during the Mushroom War.

But it wasn't the greatest depiction of the actual Mushroom War since the conflict isn't shown nor is the brutality of the explosion. Instead, the bomb was stalled a thousand years and the explosion hardly damages the Earth as we'd expect. What I'm saying is, this shouldn't be considered the definitive version of "what happened during the Mushroom War".

Edit: I thought Finn wore the hat to mask his human features. Why then here? Probably just for character association?

Edit 2: Rewatching I Remember You. Simon is shown with beady eyes and no nose pre-war... So why the depiction of eyes and noses in the new episodes as if that is what people would have looked like? Seems that is indeed a retcon on why some characters are drawn with or without noses.

ZimbAdam

Edit: I thought Finn wore the hat to mask his human features. Why then here? Probably just for character association?

Where'd you get that idea from? I thought it was more just that he's had that hat for pretty much his whole life and is just really attached to it. He's pretty open about being a human, what with people continuously referring to him as Finn the Human.

I'd say you're right about the character association thing though, it's his most defining feature.

But it wasn't the greatest depiction of the actual Mushroom War since the conflict isn't shown nor is the brutality of the explosion. Instead, the bomb was stalled a thousand years and the explosion hardly damages the Earth as we'd expect. What I'm saying is, this shouldn't be considered the definitive version of "what happened during the Mushroom War".

Edit 2: Rewatching I Remember You. Simon is shown with beady eyes and no nose pre-war... So why the depiction of eyes and noses in the new episodes as if that is what people would have looked like? Seems that is indeed a retcon on why some characters are drawn with or without noses.

1) The brutality of the explosion has already been shown on multiple occasions. A gigantic chunk of the planet is missing, that's pretty effing brutal.

2) Finn wears the hood because it was his first kill. It's the scalp of a bear. I don't see a reason for him not to wear it in FarmWorld.

3) It's not a retcon because what happened in Finn the Human and Jake the Dog are not the events that led to Ooo forming. They are in another universe called FarmWorld in another timeline. The events leading to Ooo were similar to what happened in FarmWorld, but not entirely the same. You seem to be stuck on the idea that the events shown in the Season 5 opening are what happened to create the Ooo we've seen for the past 4 seasons, but they aren't. They're a slightly tweaked version that happen in another universe. The Simon in FarmWorld is not the Simon that becomes the Ice King in Ooo. Likewise Finn in FarmWorld is not the Finn from Ooo. That is why they look different, they are alternate reality versions of the characters we already know.

This the best way to show us the Mushroom War without having another episode where Finn and Jake sit in front of a TV for 22 minutes watching VHS tapes of the war, or had the characters time travel. Instead, they went, "Ok, we're going to create a new timeline/universe for the duration of this episode, to show the ramifications of Finn's wish, and to show an approximation of what led to/happened during/because of the Mushroom War." They put the characters in a new location, similar to the past of their own world, and let the events play out. I'm sure that
if Jake hadn't made his wish, and FarmWorld was allowed to continue existing, it would eventually after thousands or years become its own alt-reality Ooo.

1) The brutality of the explosion has already been shown on multiple occasions. A gigantic chunk of the planet is missing, that's pretty effing brutal.

2) Finn wears the hood because it was his first kill. It's the scalp of a bear. I don't see a reason for him not to wear it in FarmWorld.

3) It's not a retcon because what happened in Finn the Human and Jake the Dog are not the events that led to Ooo forming. They are in another universe called FarmWorld in another timeline. The events leading to Ooo were similar to what happened in FarmWorld, but not entirely the same. You seem to be stuck on the idea that the events shown in the Season 5 opening are what happened to create the Ooo we've seen for the past 4 seasons, but they aren't. They're a slightly tweaked version that happen in another universe. The Simon in FarmWorld is not the Simon that becomes the Ice King in Ooo. Likewise Finn in FarmWorld is not the Finn from Ooo. That is why they look different, they are alternate reality versions of the characters we already know.

This the best way to show us the Mushroom War without having another episode where Finn and Jake sit in front of a TV for 22 minutes watching VHS tapes of the war, or had the characters time travel. Instead, they went, "Ok, we're going to create a new timeline/universe for the duration of this episode, to show the ramifications of Finn's wish, and to show an approximation of what led to/happened during/because of the Mushroom War." They put the characters in a new location, similar to the past of their own world, and let the events play out. I'm sure that
if Jake hadn't made his wish, and FarmWorld was allowed to continue existing, it would eventually after thousands or years become its own alt-reality Ooo.
What I'm saying is the impact of the explosion wasn't shown in this episode. They were all at ground zero but yet only a pool was created. Sure, maybe the bomb sitting for a thousand years weakened it? All I was saying was that this shouldn't be considered the "oh now we know" flashback because it is offset and doesn't show much besides the fact that the Lich came as a result of it.

And if I'm remembering right, Finn's wearing the hat as an infant when Jake finds him. How could it be from his first kill? I may have missed that reveal but that seems like a plothole. I'm just going on theories that humans were once targets so his identity was hidden from those who'd take an unkind interest in that fact.

I get that the episodes show an alternate reality. What I don't get is the reason for the changes. It seems to hint that the world without the big explosion will lead to "normal featured" humans when in fact, a newspaper clipping shows Simon without those "normal features" before the war broke out.

ZimbAdam

And if I'm remembering right, Finn's wearing the hat as an infant when Jake finds him. How could it be from his first kill? I may have missed that reveal but that seems like a plothole. I'm just going on theories that humans were once targets so his identity was hidden from those who'd take an unkind interest in that fact.

Pen said so in an interview:

Nrama: Jenny also asks, "Why does Finn's hat have little ears on the top of it?"

Ward: When he was a baby, Finn went out into the woods and skinned a bear.

Pen said so in an interview:
Well there you go. Baby skinning a bear seems pretty cool now haha.

My theory is baby Finn finds dead baby bear. Alt Finn, not being left alone doesn't come upon the bear until he's older and the bear is alive, and loses his arm in the battle for the bear's skin.

Ok here's a breakdown of the Mushroom War.

In Ooo:

There once was magic in the world. With the advent of technology, it faded.
Simon discovers the crown.
Simon begins to lose him mind, the crown begins to control him.
The war starts. Bombs are dropped.
The Bomb is dropped, it blows a chunk out of the planet, humanity is annihilated.
The Lich is created.
Magic returns to the world over hundreds/thousands of years.
Ooo is created.
Billy defeats The Lich.
Finn is born.
The series begins.

In FarmWorld:

There once was magic in the world. With the advent of technology, it fades.
Simon begins to lose his mind, the crown begins to control him.
Bombs are dropped. Simon fights back.
The Bomb is dropped, Simon stops it from detonating.
The war ends, The Lich is not created.
Humanity continues on. Magic does not return.
Finn is born.
Finn goes to sell his donkey, finds the crown.
The Bomb detonates, The Lich is created.
Jake wishes FarmWorld out of existence, no version of FarmWorld Ooo ever comes to be.
Until Season 5, there were holes in Ooo's history that we can now fill in due to what has been shown in FarmWorld. The events in FarmWorld happen differently, so from them we have to extrapolate what happened in the Ooo version of events, but for the most part it's pretty similar with the exception of
Simon stopping The Bomb from going off and creating The Lich

I can only think of three ways they could show this happening:

1) Finn and Jake learn about the war via a tape/book/someone telling them and it's shown via flashbacks.
2) Finn and Jake time travel and witness the Mushroom War first-hand, but are powerless to do anything but watch because they can't change the past, or they do change the past and inadvertently create Ooo thus making a Time Loop.
3) Finn and Jake travel to an alternate reality where the war hasn't happened yet and witness/take part in the creation of that reality's Ooo themselves.

Everyone complained when they did #1 because it was boring. #2 is a Time Loop and those suck, plus that's a little too contrived for a kid's show I think.
(They touch on the concept, though, with Finn saying he is the beginning and the end in the Season 5 opener. Very dark stuff.)
#3 is the best way to do it because on the surface, you get story that kids can follow about Finn's wish going wrong and the consequences, but deeper down for the older crazier fans like us you get the creation of Ooo without dealing with the shit from #1 and #2.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I get that the episodes show an alternate reality. What I don't get is the reason for the changes. It seems to hint that the world without the big explosion will lead to "normal featured" humans when in fact, a newspaper clipping shows Simon without those "normal features" before the war broke out.

That's inconsequential. It's to show they're from the alternate reality. It's a trope, like Evil Twins Have Beards. In fact once they got to Season 2 Pen specifically put a stop to the artists giving Finn facial expressions with white around his eyes so they could have that be a feature of the FarmWorld Finn. That's really all there is to it, people from Ooo have no noses and beady black eyes, people from FarmWorld have human features. It's to visually differentiate the two, that's all.

As for the bomb, you answered your own question. It sat for 1,000 years encased in ice. The explosion and fallout wasn't as powerful as it would have been had Simon not stopped it.

Edit: Hahahaha I really dig your theory for FarmWorld Finn's hood and arm :D

Edit 2: Also, IMO it's smart writing character-wise to have
Finn not remember the events that happen in FarmWorld/seeing the Creation of Ooo/what he did with the power of the crown
because then we don't have to deal with him dwelling on it for the rest of the series, and Jake isn't the kind of character to really give a shit anyway so he wouldn't dwell on it either. Just gloat, heh.

Tuck

Either the bomb was weakened or it did not cause the giant hole in the Earth. In "I remember you," there was an image of a meteor heading towards the Earth. Perhaps this was the reason for the war? Or maybe it was the bomb... dunno.

Ok here's a breakdown of the Mushroom War.

In Ooo:

There once was magic in the world. With the advent of technology, it faded.
Simon begins to lose him mind, the crown begins to control him.
The war starts. Bombs are dropped.
The Bomb is dropped, it blows a chunk out of the planet, humanity is annihilated.
The Lich is created.
Magic returns to the world over hundreds/thousands of years.
Ooo is created.
Billy defeats The Lich.
Finn is born.
The series begins.

In FarmWorld:

There once was magic in the world. With the advent of technology, it fades.
Simon begins to lose his mind, the crown begins to control him.
Bombs are dropped. Simon fights back.
The Bomb is dropped, Simon stops it from detonating.
The war ends, The Lich is not created.
Humanity continues on. Magic does not return.
Finn is born.
Finn goes to sell his donkey, finds the crown.
The Bomb detonates, The Lich is created.
Jake wishes FarmWorld out of existence, no version of FarmWorld Ooo ever comes to be.
Until Season 5, there were holes in Ooo's history that we can now fill in due to what has been shown in FarmWorld. The events in FarmWorld happen differently, so from them we have to extrapolate what happened in the Ooo version of events, but for the most part it's pretty similar with the exception of
Simon stopping The Bomb from going off and creating The Lich

I can only think of three ways they could show this happening:

1) Finn and Jake learn about the war via a tape/book/someone telling them and it's shown via flashbacks.
2) Finn and Jake time travel and witness the Mushroom War first-hand, but are powerless to do anything but watch because they can't change the past, or they do change the past and inadvertently create Ooo thus making a Time Loop.
3) Finn and Jake travel to an alternate reality where the war hasn't happened yet and witness/take part in the creation of that reality's Ooo themselves.

Everyone complained when they did #1 because it was boring. #2 is a Time Loop and those suck, plus that's a little too contrived for a kid's show I think.
(They touch on the concept, though, with Finn saying he is the beginning and the end in the Season 5 opener. Very dark stuff.)
#3 is the best way to do it because on the surface, you get story that kids can follow about Finn's wish going wrong and the consequences, but deeper down for the older crazier fans like us you get the creation of Ooo without dealing with the shit from #1 and #2.

That's inconsequential. It's to show they're from the alternate reality. It's a trope, like Evil Twins Have Beards. In fact once they got to Season 2 Pen specifically put a stop to the artists giving Finn facial expressions with white around his eyes so they could have that be a feature of the FarmWorld Finn. That's really all there is to it, people from Ooo have no noses and beady black eyes, people from FarmWorld have human features. It's to visually differentiate the two, that's all.

As for the bomb, you answered your own question. It sat for 1,000 years encased in ice. The explosion and fallout wasn't as powerful as it would have been had Simon not stopped it.

Edit: Hahahaha I really dig your theory for FarmWorld Finn's hood and arm :D

Edit 2: Also, IMO it's smart writing character-wise to have
Finn not remember the events that happen in FarmWorld/seeing the Creation of Ooo/what he did with the power of the crown
because then we don't have to deal with him dwelling on it for the rest of the series, and Jake isn't the kind of character to really give a shit anyway so he wouldn't dwell on it either. Just gloat, heh.

Ok, I guess I'll chalk it up to it being a trope lol.

What's wrong with flashback episodes though? I mean we get one off episodes like Bmo Noir and such, so why not? Or make clever reveals through little snippets that become fully cohesive once a season closes and the source of the snippets is revealed to be through some program in Bmo or other electronic device that recorded the events.

Ok, I guess I'll chalk it up to it being a trope lol.

What's wrong with flashback episodes though? I mean we get one off episodes like Bmo Noir and such, so why not? Or make clever reveals through little snippets that become fully cohesive once a season closes and the source of the snippets is revealed to be through some program in Bmo or other electronic device that recorded the events.

We're adults, we can deal with flashbacks and more serious mature plot lines like that. Even though Adventure Time isn't a KIDZ SHOW LOL it's still on Cartoon Network and has to appeal to all-ages. I thought the Ice King/Simon flashback episode was really well done (and hilariously tongue in cheek in parts) but for a lot of fans, even a lot of people on GAF, it was seen as a very boring "NOTHING HAPPENED!?" episode.

I think that taught the writers that the characters themselves have to be a part of the events for it to be engaging to the audience, and what they did was the best balance of how they could do it. And having lots of bits and pieces of the past littered throughout the series leading to a big reveal where we can piece them all together is kind of exactly what they just did, heh.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It's not your cartoon, it's Pen's. He and his team can do whatever stories they want with it.
Oh wow, I actually thought it was my cartoon for a minute there, thanks for setting me straight.
lol.gif

I just think overall the show is stronger when it isn't muddied in comic style logic like multiverses, retcons (
Marcelline was a demon all along, pfft O.K.
) etc. I believe it's better when they are going on random adventures and I'm glad the show stabilized back into that after all the crazy exposition and convoluted back story. And that's an opinion that seems to be shared by Pen given that most of the show is Finn and Jake going on fun and crazy adventures.

Your write up is appreciated though, it explains a lot of things more clearly.

Tuck

Some thoughts:
-Marceline being a demon is not really a recton. In Ooo, she is a vampire. But we see she was bitten. They never said she was a human before that, did they? We just assumed. In farm world, she must not have been bitten due to the difference in circumstances. So she aged differently. I think it was necessary for the plot for her to be there the way she was.

-Prismo and the Cosmic owl are on the same level of power, I think. Cosmic Owl is more of a well known deity, but Prismo is master of time. I would assume that Death is also on their level as well (I sort of wish he had shown up in the time room too, but whatever).

-Episode confirms The Lich was created by some sort of nuclear reaction. This does fall in line with the previous Lich episodes, where PB asks for plutonium, ammonia and other toxic chemicals. I'm fond of WordAssasin's explanation that the big bad bomb mixed with magic that was already present in the world. Thats a pretty reasonable explanation for The Lich. The Lich solely being created from nuclear fallout doesn't really make sense.

-Unanswered questions:
--What happens to The Lich? I assume we will see him again, as he is the main villain of the show basically.

--Is the snail still possessed? I assume no.

--What was the reason for the war? I doubt we will ever know for sure. Again, there was a picture of a meteor heading towards the Earth in "I remember you" - would explain the giant chunk taken out of the planet, and provide reason for war. I know WordAssasin believes it was the bomb that did it. Certainly possible, but I'm not 100% convinced.

--Is Billy dead? 99.9% sure he is. I hope so. One of my least favorite characters.

--What happened to Finn's parents? In the original documents for the show, Billy stated that Finn's dad was imprisoned in the Crystal Dimension. This was removed, and it conflicts with what has been said previously in the show. So either (1) They have chosen not to ever say, or (2) They changed their minds and are doing something different. I think the latter is more likely. They slowly are revealing more of the character's back stories, so why not Finn? This episode gave us a look at his family, particularly his mother. Assuming that his parents in Ooo would have been similar, does this mean Finn has a brother? Or because his parents died/left so early, a younger sibling never came to be?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Some thoughts:
-Marceline being a demon is not exactly a recton. In Ooo, she is a vampire. But we see she was bitten. They never said she was a human before that, did they? We just assumed. In farm world, she must not have been bitten due to the difference in circumstances. So she aged differently. I think it was necessary for the plot for her to be there the way she was.

Plot wise that does make sense and you make a good point about assumption.

-Episode confirms The Lich was created by some sort of nuclear reaction. This does fall in line with the previous Lich episodes, where PB asks for plutonium, ammonia and other toxic chemicals.

This does make sense and I think that the bombs aren't filled with mutagens or something, the changes are just part of regular nuclear reactions maybe mixed with magic, but I think the bombs themselves are definitely just regular nukes.

I don't think Susan Strong is the sibling but I could be wrong, interested to see what happens with that at least.

FillerB

Some thoughts:
-Marceline being a demon is not really a recton. In Ooo, she is a vampire. But we see she was bitten. They never said she was a human before that, did they? We just assumed. In farm world, she must not have been bitten due to the difference in circumstances. So she aged differently. I think it was necessary for the plot for her to be there the way she was.
She doesn't even have to have been a demon on FarmWorld. Who's to say that Simon, who showed control over the crown, did not extend her natural lifespan in some way? The crown gives an extended lifespan to at least its wearer so it is in the realm of possibilities.
--What was the reason for the war? I doubt we will ever know for sure. Again, there was a picture of a meteor heading towards the Earth in "I remember you" - would explain the giant chunk taken out of the planet, and provide reason for war. I know WordAssasin believes it was the bomb that did it. Certainly possible, but I'm not 100% convinced.

Maybe the War was a war of extermination between humans and Ice King!Simon/Magical creatures. We know that magic was coming back before/during the War as Simon, Marceline and the Lich are from that age. Human history shows that plenty of wars where started over the simply reason of "It's either us or them.".

--What happened to Finn's parents? In the original documents for the show, Billy stated that Finn's dad was imprisoned in the Crystal Dimension. This was removed, and it conflicts with what has been said previously in the show. So either (1) They have chosen not to ever say, or (2) They changed their minds and are doing something different. I think the latter is more likely. They slowly are revealing more of the character's back stories, so why not Finn? This episode gave us a look at his family, particularly his mother. Assuming that his parents in Ooo would have been similar, does this mean Finn has a brother? Or because his parents died/left so early, a younger sibling never came to be?
We don't know how old Finn is. FarmWorld!Finn was trying to save people by freezing them. We know that people who are frozen can survive the unfreezing-process. (See the Businessmen). Maybe they are pulling an "Avatar:TLA" and Finn's parents died during the Mushroom War while Finn himself survived due to being flashfrozen. Correct me if I was wrong but Jake's parents found Finn wandering in the woods. They never met or saw Finn's biological parents.

Final point of thought is that this is a show where a tyrannical 18-year mad scientist rules over a kingdom made out of candy. I think we can forgive them for the odd thing not making sense.

Tuck

Final point of thought is that this is a show where a tyrannical 18-year mad scientist rules over a kingdom made out of candy. I think we can forgive them for the odd thing not making sense.

To an extent.

I'm never going to question how Candy people can exist, be eaten, tear things off their bodies, etc. The answer is magic, and I'm ok with that. Or how Abraham Lincon is the King of Mars. He just.. is. Thats just the nature of the show. Its crazy and slightly fucked up.

But the show has gone out of its way to be consistent with its universe and story line. Yes, some weird things happen. but nothing that happens has made me go, "In the context of this universe, that should not have happened." If the show is trying to hold itself up to a certain standard, so will I. Continuity is one of my favorite things about Adventure Time. The fact that events occur and are referenced later, the fact that there is a whole back story to the land of Ooo, etc. That stuff should all make sense and fit together flawlessly. And so far, it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom