• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 5 |OT| Welcome to the Multiverse

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZimbAdam

This does make sense and I think that the bombs aren't filled with mutagens or something, the changes are just part of regular nuclear reactions maybe mixed with magic, but I think the bombs themselves are definitely just regular nukes.

Why would Marceline lie about what's in the bomb?

She doesn't even have to have been a demon on FarmWorld. Who's to say that Simon, who showed control over the crown, did not extend her natural lifespan in some way? The crown gives an extended lifespan to at least its wearer so it is in the realm of possibilities.

She is definitely half-demon. Her dad is still Hunson Abadeer. Hunson Abadeer is a demon. Ergo, she is half-demon. Simple.

Maybe the War was a war of extermination between humans and Ice King!Simon/Magical creatures. We know that magic was coming back before/during the War as Simon, Marceline and the Lich are from that age. Human history shows that plenty of wars where started over the simply reason of "It's either us or them.".

I doubt that. The only known supernatural beings before the Mushroom War are Simon and Marceline, the Lich was a product of the Mushroom War. If the bomb was dropped on Simon specifically then we would have seen him facing off with the planes in a frozen waste-land rather than on a grassy hill. We can assume it was simply a world war scenario where one side went too far.

We don't know how old Finn is. FarmWorld!Finn was trying to save people by freezing them. We know that people who are frozen can survive the unfreezing-process. (See the Businessmen). Maybe they are pulling an "Avatar:TLA" and Finn's parents died during the Mushroom War while Finn himself survived due to being flashfrozen. Correct me if I was wrong but Jake's parents found Finn wandering in the woods. They never met or saw Finn's biological parents.

1. We know how old Finn is, he started out as 12 in series one and now he's 14. He'll probably be 15 by the end of this season.

2. You're right that Jake's parents never met Finn's, but the rest of that ain't right yo. For one thing, FarmWorld is set in the same time frame as Ooo, therefore Finn's parents must have been born after the mushroom war. I doubt we'll ever learn about Finn's actual parents beyond what we saw of them in FarmWorld.

I just think overall the show is stronger when it isn't muddied in comic style logic like multiverses, retcons (
Marcelline was a demon all along, pfft O.K.
) etc.

We've known this ages ago, her father is a full demon which should make her a half demon. In the original timeline she became a vampire afterwards, which is what gave her true immortality.

Clydefrog

Finally got around to watching the new episodes late last night. I am blown away. I'm also wondering how a kid can know what the hell is going on nowadays with this show? lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Finally got around to watching the new episodes late last night. I am blown away. I'm also wondering how a kid can know what the hell is going on nowadays with this show? lol

my 11 year old keeps me up to date on things/episodes I miss.

BigAT

Me trying to comprehend the ramifications of everything from last night's episodes:

jOP88.gif

golem

This does make sense and I think that the bombs aren't filled with mutagens or something, the changes are just part of regular nuclear reactions maybe mixed with magic, but I think the bombs themselves are definitely just regular nukes.
Marceline-alt says: "The frightful bomb was poised to bathe the land in mutagenic horror". While that doesnt prove the bomb was full of mutagens exactly, I think the fact she knows what the detonation of the bomb would result in combined with the fact whenever the bomb goes off ghost faces appear in the flames, would strongly suggest it wasnt just another nuclear bomb?

I think in the alt world normal nukes were used in a war, just as the war happened in the real timeline, causing Junktown and the Wasteland to exist, just that this special bomb was not allowed to go off-- so therefore the residents of the planet havent mutated in to their more familiar forms.. yet.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Marceline-alt says: "The frightful bomb was poised to bathe the land in mutagenic horror". While that doesnt prove the bomb was full of mutagens exactly, I think the fact she knows what the detonation of the bomb would result in combined with the fact whenever the bomb goes off ghost faces appear in the flames, would strongly suggest it wasnt just another nuclear bomb?

I think in the alt world normal nukes were used in a war, just as the war happened in the real timeline, causing Junktown and the Wasteland to exist, just that this special bomb was not allowed to go off-- so therefore the residents of the planet havent mutated in to their more familiar forms.. yet.
I thought she was simply referring to the fact that the nukes affected the world by causing mutagenic horrors to appear (which is in line with what happens with actual nuclear fallout, though obviously with some cartoon embellishment), not necessarily that they were engineered or contained something that specifically caused mutation.

But your theory about the special bomb not being allowed to go off might explain that.

elsk

Banned
Me trying to comprehend the ramifications of everything from last night's episodes:

[IMGd]http://i.imgur.com/jOP88.gif[/IMG]

Haha, I just made the same gif.

iz4oTm5CrQDgQ.gif

Can't wait for next episode... but most likely it will be a filling-normal episode :(

--What was the reason for the war? I doubt we will ever know for sure. Again, there was a picture of a meteor heading towards the Earth in "I remember you" - would explain the giant chunk taken out of the planet, and provide reason for war. I know WordAssasin believes it was the bomb that did it. Certainly possible, but I'm not 100% convinced.
maybe the meteor did hit, which led to some sort of failsafe being triggered, which led to the bombs going off? just a guess, I dunno.

golem

My guess is the meteor hits, takes out a chunk of the world and the surviving nations squabble for the remaining natural resources which leads to a new world war

Also do we really need spoiler tags? All we're discussing has been aired already..

Ha, Jesse Moynihan confirmed that the Destiny Gang were meant to be Fist of the North Star references, which makes total sense.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Great episode and loads to ponder. I feel the premiere's wrapped everything up neatly from the finale yet at the same time, opened the door for a further hundred adventures and questions, so good stuff all around basically.

Curious though, may have missed it- why the robot arm? Was that explained or alluded to at all?

We don't know how old Finn is.
Yes we do! He ages in real-time on the show. He even had a birthday in Season 2. I believe he is 14 now, and will be 15 during this season.

Unless you meant FarmWorld Finn, because yeah he could be any [reasonable for a kid] age.
Edit: holy shmow this thread is bookin.

Why would Marceline lie about what's in the bomb?
Who said she's lying? She isn't a scientist, she doesn't know what's in the bombs, she's just saying what happens after they go off:

This doesn't prove they are anything other than nukes - because that's what they are, nukes. She isn't implying they are filled with mutagen, she says that once they go off they release mutagenic horrors IE create mutants. Everyone in Ooo is a mutant/has mutated in some way due to nuclear fallout, Pen has confirmed this.

Pen Ward said:

Has this theory been discussed yet?

DH2SC.png

Come along with me
To a town beside the sea
We can wander through the forest
And do so as we please.
Come along with me
To a cliff under a tree.
Where we'll gaze upon the water
As an everlasting dream
All of my affections
I'll give them all to you
Maybe by next summer
We won't have changed our tune
'Cause we'll want to be
In this town beside the sea
Making up new numbers
And living so merrily
All of my affections
Give them all to you
I'll be here for you always
And always be for you
Come along with me
To a town beside the sea
We can wander through the forest
And do so as we please
Living so merrily

The fact that the haunted mansion was in Farmworld as well makes me want to believe to more. That house may have been theirs before the Destiny gang chased them out of it? Although the lyrcs say 'town beside the sea', so it might make more sense that the mansion wasn't theirs.

It's not your cartoon, it's Pen's. He and his team can do whatever stories they want with it. C'mon now.
I totally agree with this. It feels like when people really love a show, they start to try and take it over and get upset that it doesn't show or do things they want. I did find it odd though that you commented on people's reaction to the Ice King origin ep. I really liked that and I think they took the criticism too serious and changed how they would do things. Especially with a show like this, I think they need to operate in a Vacuum.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't think this is my show and I don't want to dictate how it goes. My whole post was based on the fact that I don't want to see it fall into bad tropes that comic-book style writing does. To be fair, it seems to be okay so far and the more I'm seeing it discussed the more I think it is being handled well.

But I got it, it's not my show. I know.

I know!

This is amazing.

Tuck

I totally agree with this. It feels like when people really love a show, they start to try and take it over and get upset that it doesn't show or do things they want. I did find it odd though that you commented on people's reaction to the Ice King origin ep. I really liked that and I think they took the criticism too serious and changed how they would do things. Especially with a show like this, I think they need to operate in a Vacuum.

Thats not entirely fair. People care about the show, and people love hypothesizing on what will happen. They're totally allowed to do so, and are absolutely allowed to criticize when something doesn't make sense, or could have played out in a better way.

That being said, some complaints are a bit overboard at times. And personally for me, there isn't much to complain about.

I liked it, too! I thought it was HILARIOUS in fact. The Ice King sobbing for 30 seconds while the "You're watching the Holiday Adventure Time special! Merry Christmas!" popped up was just completely brilliant, as was the fact that fans kept bitching for answers so they gave them a 22-minute special of Finn and Jake watching old VHS tapes with the real meat of the episode being the last 3 minutes was so sweet. But it's like I said, the show caters to EVERYONE, not just children, not just adults, so while we can handel heavy exposition, kids can't. They have to keep it balanced.

And operating in a vacuum would kill the show, it's because of its connection with the fanbase that is has become so wildly popular. Things like Me-Mow, Fionna and Cake, etc wouldn't have happened without fan participation. They seem to know how to balance the fan pandering with doing their own thing, though. In fact Adventure Time as a whole is a very, very balanced production. Romance, adventure, zany, mythos, side-characters, musical stories, there's never an overbearing amount of one over the others. They do a great job.

I don't think this is my show and I don't want to dictate how it goes. My whole post was based on the fact that I don't want to see it fall into bad tropes that comic-book style writing does. To be fair, it seems to be okay so far and the more I'm seeing it discussed the more I think it is being handled well.

But I got it, it's not my show. I know.

I know!
Are you sure you know? I feel like you might not know.

:p

Thats not entirely fair. People care about the show, and people love hypothesizing on what will happen. They're totally allowed to do so, and are absolutely allowed to criticize when something doesn't make sense, or could have played out in a better way.

That being said, some complaints are a bit overboard at times. And personally for me, there isn't much to complain about.

Well it's not meant to be a shot at fans of THIS show. I feel like I see it all the time. A show starts, people love it and then after 2-3 season tons of fans just start to complain because they think they had a much better idea about how something could have gone and what they should have done. Hell look at a show like breaking bad. Eventually, it feels like certain complaints get back to the creators and they start changing their vision or plan and things start to tilt. Simon's origin was one of my favorite moments. I think it's a bit daft to call it boring based on how it was presented. It it had been a dream of the Ice king, or a flashback, or even just showing it as it happened, it's considered progress, but if they watch it on tapes then 'nothing happened, they just watched videos the whole episode'.

I really do think creative people are better off never reading feedback, good or bad from people. Make what you are going to make and leave to others to decide if they like it.

Tuck

Well it's not meant to be a shot at fans of THIS show. I feel like I see it all the time. A show starts, people love it and then after 2-3 season tons of fans just start to complain because they think they had a much better idea about how something could have gone and what they should have done. Hell look at a show like breaking bad. Eventually, it feels like certain complaints get back to the creators and they start changing their vision or plan and things start to tilt. Simon's origin was one of my favorite moments. I think it's a bit daft to call it boring based on how it was presented. It it had been a dream of the Ice king, or a flashback, or even just showing it as it happened, it's considered progress, but if they watch it on tapes then 'nothing happened, they just watched videos the whole episode'.

I really do think creative people are better off never reading feedback, good or bad from people. Make what you are going to make and leave to others to decide if they like it.

I generally agree with you, but there are times when the creators of a show SHOULD listen.

See: Legend of Korra shipping bullshit.

Raxus

I generally agree with you, but there are times when the creators of a show SHOULD listen.

Yes it is important to take issue with clear issues in shows. It works too with shows like Justified, Parks and Recreation (and many other comedies), and even early AT stepping up their talent with stronger seasons as the series progress.

Korra really needed more episodes so it didn't fumble the landing so badly. The 8-9 episodes leading up to it were soooo good.

Not sure what Legend of Korra is, I'll take a look.

If a show does take a large mis-step then reaction to it is often too late and trying to whip the clock back too fast can be worse.

edit: yeah someone is just going to ahve to break that Korra deal down. I didn't even understand the use of 'shipping' until I just read it. I thought naval trade had ruined the show.

edit: Christ, I tried to read now and I'm convinced whomever wrote the wiki page on 'shipping' is mentally defective...or maybe the fans were. I don't think I can read anymore of this.

KtSlime

Doesn't he turn momentarily and then science cures him?

It's possible, and what I think could have happened, but he jumps into the crowd, and they do an immediate cut to the next scene. I imagine zombie Finn would look pretty much just like this fan art.

ZimbAdam: Oh thanks, I'll have to check that out, must have missed it.

ZimbAdam

Nah, Zombie Finn just pops up for like a couple of frames in the episode with the candy zombies in episode 1. Finn doesn't even get zombified in the episode it just pops up when the zombies break the barricade.

Nah, Zombie Finn just pops up for like a couple of frames in the episode with the candy zombies in episode 1. Finn doesn't even get zombified in the episode it just pops up when the zombies break the barricade.

Whoa, what the fuck!?!

FINN IS THAT YOUR BROTHER!?!

Also it's amazing how often Finn goes white-eyed in Season 1. I never noticed it before but because they made such a point of him not doing it from Season 2 onward it's kind of weird going back and seeing it happen so much.

Season 5 was just added to iTunes in HD but Season 4 is still only available in SD.

What the fuck are they doing? I want to watch Season 4 but I don't want to buy it in SD.

I remember seeing somewhere that Pen said that Finn was a little mutated. Since in the alternate, non magical/nuclear word humans have the more detail eyes and visible noses, does the fact that regular Finn only having the dots for eyes and no visible nose show the mutation of humans after the war? Maybe I'm looking to into this. I mean then how would that explain the hyoomen?

Also, is Farmworld Finn's last name the same for regular Finn?

Yes this explains Finn's beady eyes. He also confirmed that some of the other human-looking characters (like Phil) are actually just pink mutants. Finn is human, and barring Susan, probably the last human, but he's still a little mutated.

I think you can explain the hyoomen by saying either evolution, mutation, or a combination of both.

Season 5 was just added to iTunes in HD but Season 4 is still only available in SD.

What the fuck are they doing? I want to watch Season 4 but I don't want to buy it in SD.

What's even stranger is that from the Season 5 page, they list the HD version of Season 4. But you click on it, and it takes you to the SD version. WTF?

KtSlime

I remember seeing somewhere that Pen said that Finn was a little mutated. Since in the alternate, non magical/nuclear word humans have the more detail eyes and visible noses, does the fact that regular Finn only having the dots for eyes and no visible nose show the mutation of humans after the war? Maybe I'm looking to into this. I mean then how would that explain the hyoomen?

To my understanding yes. As for his last name, probably, however I don't know what purpose last names have in Ooo being that there are so few humans.

Naw, it's Finn T. Human. :p

They kind of messed up the "Finn has beady eyes and no nose because he's a mutant" when they showed humans in the Heat Signature movie and pre-War Simon and Betty, who have beady eyes and no nose either.

BigAT

Would you mind explaining this? I watched Korra but avoided the GAF thread and haven't really read anything about behind the scenes stuff.

What's even stranger is that from the Season 5 page, they list the HD version of Season 4. But you click on it, and it takes you to the SD version. WTF?

Not only that but the final 2 episodes from Season 3 are in Season 4 so there are 15 episodes in that season. And by all accounts Season 4 sounds like the most awesome one yet so it's killing me to keep waiting.

Amazon has everything in HD but I don't want to have the show split between 2 separate ecosystems and I don't really want to re-buy the first 3 seasons again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom