• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 5 |OT| Welcome to the Multiverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only that but the final 2 episodes from Season 3 are in Season 4 so there are 15 episodes in that season. And by all accounts Season 4 sounds like the most awesome one yet so it's killing me to keep waiting.

Amazon has everything in HD but I don't want to have the show split between 2 separate ecosystems and I don't really want to re-buy the first 3 seasons again.

I'm still really pissed off about that. I paid for Season 3, and I got shafted 2 (4) episodes. There was a huge stink when it happened and Frederator said they were going to sort it out but, well, looks like they did a great job with that.

For what it's worth, I just looked on my iPad and all of Season 4 can be bought in HD, but as individual episodes. So far there's no way to buy the whole season - which I'm sure is the preferable method since it shaves off a couple bucks.

Tuck

They kind of messed up the "Finn has beady eyes and no nose because he's a mutant" when they showed humans in the Heat Signature movie and pre-War Simon and Betty, who have beady eyes and no nose either.

I never understood this, and I honestly don't like the explanation at all. Especially because in early episodes of the series, we saw Finn's eyes looking normal all the freaking time. I don't know why they stopped doing it either. I thought it looked quite good, but hey what do I know. Finn being slightly mutant does not please me.

For example, see:
S1e2_finn_angry_at_lumpyspace.png

Would you mind explaining this? I watched Korra but avoided the GAF thread and haven't really read anything about behind the scenes stuff.

Basically everyone got upset (Rightfully so) because the relationship nonsense in the show was so poorly written and cheesy that it actually had a massive impact on the quality of the show, and ruined characters for some people. I think the show is still quite good but the shipping really, really hurt it.

Not sure what Legend of Korra is, I'll take a look.

If a show does take a large mis-step then reaction to it is often too late and trying to whip the clock back too fast can be worse.

edit: yeah someone is just going to ahve to break that Korra deal down. I didn't even understand the use of 'shipping' until I just read it. I thought naval trade had ruined the show.

edit: Christ, I tried to read now and I'm convinced whomever wrote the wiki page on 'shipping' is mentally defective...or maybe the fans were. I don't think I can read anymore of this.

Ok wait stop - hold on.

Do yourself a favor. Go watch Avatar: The Last Airbender, then The Legend of Korra.

Just... go. Do that. Then come back in a few weeks and thank me.

I never understood this,a dn I honestly don't like the explanation at all. Especially because in early episodes of the series, we saw Finn's eyes all the freaking time. I don't know why they stopped doing it either. I thought it looked quite good, but hey what do I know. Finn being slightly mutant does not please me.

I've answered that a couple times already, they put a stop to it because they wanted to be able to differentiate between FarmWorld Finn and Ooo Finn. There's an interview with Pen somewhere that talks about it (but at the time he doesn't say anything about FarmWorld since the interview was from season 3 or 4) I'll try to find it.

Jintor

Shipping's just relationship fan...ing? It's just being cheerleaders for a relationship basically. Happens in every fandom.

They kind of messed up the "Finn has beady eyes and no nose because he's a mutant" when they showed humans in the Heat Signature movie and pre-War Simon and Betty, who have beady eyes and no nose either.
I tried explaining this back a couple pages but it got scoffed off because "tropes".

I'm still really pissed off about that. I paid for Season 3, and I got shafted 2 (4) episodes. There was a huge stink when it happened and Frederator said they were going to sort it out but, well, looks like they did a great job with that.

For what it's worth, I just looked on my iPad and all of Season 4 can be bought in HD, but as individual episodes. So far there's no way to buy the whole season - which I'm sure is the preferable method since it shaves off a couple bucks.

I'm actually on my iPad right now but I can't find the link to individual episodes. It just keeps taking me to the full season with no option for HD.

Tuck

I've answered that a couple times already, they put a stop to it because they wanted to be able to differentiate between FarmWorld Finn and Ooo Finn. There's an interview with Pen somewhere that talks about it (but at the time he doesn't say anything about FarmWorld since the interview was from season 3 or 4) I'll try to find it.

I've seen the interview, I know what you're talking about. All I'm saying is that I disagree. I looked at is like it was just an art style choice. I don't need some nonsense "Oh Finn is actually partially mutated" retcon that they clearly only came up with as a reason for the minor art style change. It did not need an explanation beyond "We didn't want to show his eyes anymore."

Yeah, its their show. They can do what they want. I think it was a silly, unnecessary decision.

The show remains expressive and great without it, of course.

You're not really answering it, you're just accepting and passing off their retcon. That is the definition of retconning. They put a stop to a previous aesthetic for the purpose of the narrative but yet it isn't consistent since we've seen other characters pre-war with beady eyes and no noses.

I'm not that upset with it, it just should have been better planned but no biggie.

Was does Farnworld Finn have one arm?

Haha, my theory was he lost it fighting a bear for the skin he used to make his hood.

For others:

Pen Ward said:
Another thing we stopped doing after the first season, and I’m not sure how many people noticed it, was having Finn’s eyes bug out so there was white around the pupil. I stopped doing that because I wanted Finn to feel more real, and I felt that was breaking reality. When you go back and watch the first season, you’ll notice all the times his eyes bug out, and how we stopped doing that.

(Pen was asked if there were any hard rules he sets for the show, that's one of the 3 rules he has)

Also, in the interview, he talks about an episode where Finn and Jake find a huge crater and go down into it to see what's down there. At first I thought it could be the hole they chase The Lich into but this interview went up the day of the Season 3 finale, so they're talking about a future episode. (At that point in time they'd be finishing Season 4, moving onto Season 5) so I assume that'd be the crater caused by the meteor shown in the newspaper.

You're not really answering it, you're just accepting and passing off their retcon. That is the definition of retconning. They put a stop to a previous aesthetic for the purpose of the narrative but yet it isn't consistent since we've seen other characters pre-war with beady eyes and no noses.

I'm not that upset with it, it just should have been better planned but no biggie.

To be fair to them, it's something they decided to do at the end of Season 1. The start of Season 2 is where they sat down and plotted out the actual structure of the show and the lore moving forward. As of S1, I doubt they ever imagined the show would be as popular as it is, or if it would get to a 5th or even 3rd season. I don't view that as a retcon at all because it's a stylistic choice, not anything to do with a character or a plot or a story line. The fact that they used it four years later to differentiate the same character across two realities is again a stylistic choice, not any kind of retcon.

Tuck

To be fair to them, it's something they decided to do at the end of Season 1. The start of Season 2 is where they sat down and plotted out the actual structure of the show and the lore moving forward. As of S1, I doubt they ever imagined the show would be as popular as it is, or if it would get to a 5th or even 3rd season. I don't view that as a retcon at all because it's a stylistic choice, not anything to do with a character or a plot or a story line. The fact that they used it four years later to differentiate the same character across two realities is again a stylistic choice, not any kind of retcon.

They made it a recton by giving it an explanation in the context of the universe - Finn is partially mutated.

All they had to say was that it was a stylistic choice. Thats it.

tumblr_mdgkf68EBa1rqo673o1_500.png

Inked and colored the one out of that batch of six that was my favorite.
Yesss! This is great!

They made it a recton by giving it an explanation in the context of the universe - Finn is partially mutated.

All they had to say was that it was a stylistic choice. Thats it.

True that, you're right.

I wish I could just talk to Pen and Natasha about this shit but they deal with it all day at work and then they have the internet going after them too, they don't need it from a friend after-hours as well. I always feel like such a dick anytime I bring the show up with them.

Yesss! This is great!

True that, you're right.

I wish I could just talk to Pen and Natasha about this shit but they deal with it all day at work and then they have the internet going after them too, they don't need it from a friend after-hours as well. I always feel like such a dick anytime I bring the show up with them.
To go with what Tuck is saying, they're implying that that stylistic choice is because of the narrative which means having a flashback of Simon without the narrative driven stylization, breaks the continuity/rules they were going for.

I'll just chalk it up to it being symbolic of what we knew/needed to know at the time of witnessing the tale but with further and future knowledge, we'd realize and see things differently. Of course in a visual medium, you shouldn't lie to the audience but I'll accept it to move on haha. What I mean is we hear "Human pre-war" and we think "oh Finn's a human so everyone looks like him". But later we learn "wait, humans looked different" so now we'd have to rethink what we previously envisioned to match that new knowledge.... if this were a book lol.

Tuck

Didn't realize you know them in person. That's pretty cool!

...What happened there?

My post was totally innocent, I swear!
Haha. Well Novid claimed to have been on the inside with the team giving us teases and the bigwigs' reactions to episodes and their ratings and subject matter and what not. So I took some of his interesting teases to a Thundercats board and they took it to the writers who then called out Novid in an interview saying they had no idea who he/she was and not to listen to 'em. That got back to Gaf and everyone needed some 'splainin' but Novid disappeared from the thread.

I'm not doubting his friendship, just reminded me of that thread is all.

Well, straight up, I don't work on the show. I met Pen at Trader Joe's, where I work, about a year and a half ago, and he invited me to Drink & Draw, where I met Natasha. Through the two of them I've met a bunch of other people that work on the show (including one GAFfer) too.

All the "insider" stuff I knew was from a couple visits I made to Cartoon Network to see Natasha, and they all pertained to Season 4. I literally have no clue what they're going to do next and I suppose it'll stay that way until I either talk to Nat about the show again or visit CN again.

Also I would never want to break their trust and spill the beans on things they've told me. I've kept pretty tight-lipped about the whole PB-Marcy fiasco, I knew about the return of Lemongrab episode like last November and never said anything about it, and I know it's an asshole move to tease and drip-feed things to you guys about upcoming episodes. I think the biggest tease I ever did was when I found out what one of the special features of the Season 1 DVD was, I posted "$150" because I thought it was so funny and wanted people to look out for it when the set became available. I even get nervous confirming Ooo as future-Earth (even though Pen and others have said it dozens of times) just because I learned about it back when Season 2 was still airing from a character test I took.

Knowing them is really awesome, but it's also a double-edged sword. I'm a HUGE fan of the show, but I don't want to geek out around them and come off like a fanboy dick. (I'm kind of terrified that they'll find out I dressed as Finn for a work-related halloween party, hahaha) I don't want to work on the show because everyone and their mom is trying to get on board or get their friends to let them on, and that's lame. Natasha told me I should just make my own show, which is what I pitched to Frederator and am now working on myself (and what I was talking about Natasha writing an episode of in the Season 4 thread).

But I mean, if someone asked Pen or Natasha if they knew me I'd certainly hope they'd say yes. I see Natasha all the time, go to Pen's house once a month and they both were at my birthday party last year, so they'd better know who I am! :C

Well, straight up, I don't work on the show. I met Pen at Trader Joe's, where I work, about a year and a half ago, and he invited me to Drink & Draw, where I met Natasha. Through the two of them I've met a bunch of other people that work on the show (including one GAFfer) too.

All the "insider" stuff I knew was from a couple visits I made to Cartoon Network to see Natasha, and they all pertained to Season 4. I literally have no clue what they're going to do next and I suppose it'll stay that way until I either talk to Nat about the show again or visit CN again.

Also I would never want to break their trust and spill the beans on things they've told me. I've kept pretty tight-lipped about the whole PB-Marcy fiasco, and I know it's an asshole move to tease and drip-feed things to you guys about upcoming episodes. I think the biggest tease I ever did was when I found out what one of the special features of the Season 1 DVD was, I posted "$150" because I thought it was so funny and wanted people to look out for it when the set became available. I even get nervous confirming Ooo as future-Earth (even though Pen and others have said it dozens of times) just because I learned about it back when Season 2 was still airing from a character test I took.

Knowing them is really awesome, but it's also a double-edged sword. I'm a HUGE fan of the show, but I don't want to geek out around them and come off like a fanboy dick. (I'm kind of terrified that they'll find out I dressed as Finn for a work-related halloween party, hahaha) I don't want to work on the show because everyone and their mom is trying to get on board or get their friends to let them on, and that's lame. Natasha told me I should just make my own show, which is what I pitched to Frederator and am now working on myself (and what I was talking about Natasha writing an episode of in the Season 4 thread).

But I mean, if someone asked Pen or Natasha if they knew me I'd certainly hope they'd say yes. I see Natasha all the time, go to Pen's house once a month and they both were at my birthday party last year, so they'd better know who I am! :C

dude that's awesome! i give you my best wishes towards the show you're hoping to get through :) i'm 17, but i wish someday i may also share similar success, seems like a pretty tough industry and i don't have any contacts, but i'll have to work on that i suppose

IrishNinja

Ha, Jesse Moynihan confirmed that the Destiny Gang were meant to be Fist of the North Star references, which makes total sense.

awesome, i should've known. i got that vibe, and a little bit of Berserk when things went tits up at the ep's end too

Has this theory been discussed yet?

DH2SC.png

The fact that the haunted mansion was in Farmworld as well makes me want to believe to more. That house may have been theirs before the Destiny gang chased them out of it? Although the lyrcs say 'town beside the sea', so it might make more sense that the mansion wasn't theirs.

wow that's creepy, and yeah never did hear/see that lullaby prior...i was all for them not getting into finn's parents before but now im kinda intrigued

meant to say, tight work on the OP there, looks great!

Give me a Marceline and the Scream Queens album goddamnit

just caught up on the series (that and the regular comic TPBs are so bought) but i cannot get enough of her voice, id get this day 1

Aw thanks! I've actually been meaning to draw a Finn hat onto my current avatar for a while now. I feel like I'm not known well enough around here to abandon my self portrait so I usually just add little things to it (IE Santa hat for Christmas).

I really need to stop reading people comments about a new episode before I watch it. the episode is always so much more simple than people make it. This 2 parter wasn't that crazy and didn't really change anything, even with all the build up, but it was really cool.
Just a few things:
1) Jakes wish has no twist to it, no chance. Prismo warned him and then spoon fed him what to say t make sure it wouldn't back fire.
2)The lich is easily still around and will be back
3)Finn with the crown was really f'n creepy
4)The only thing I think I don't get about the wish effecting time and creating the alternate world is why the Lich no existing would change Simon and how the bomb went off. I know prismo said it changes past and futre events but its very clear the lich came as a RESULT of the bomb. Why would him not existing change anything before he came to be?
5) I love Jake, but his level on Indifference finally wore on me. They should have given him the sandwich wish and just screwed him to teach him a lesson : )

4)The only thing I think I don't get about the wish effecting time and creating the alternate world is why the Lich no existing would change Simon and how the bomb went off. I know prismo said it changes past and futre events but its very clear the lich came as a RESULT of the bomb. Why would him not existing change anything before he came to be?
)

The bomb creates the Lich, so to stop the Lich from having existed the universe gets altered in such a way as the bomb never goes off.

Tuck

Aw thanks! I've actually been meaning to draw a Finn hat onto my current avatar for a while now. I feel like I'm not known well enough around here to abandon my self portrait so I usually just add little things to it (IE Santa hat for Christmas).

Thats pretty smart.

I decided when I first joined to never change my Avatar, and I'll stick to that, even though i kind of want to change it to Totoro or Finn. I know that I personally recognize most people by their avatar, except a few people from this thread and KorraGAF and a few other more popular posters.

KtSlime

Quick question, has anything been said about a cd being made? We now have 4 seasons worth of songs to pick from, and yet nothing. I would love to have the songs with me wherever I go. Legally. Cause I want to support them.

I would buy an album of Marceline singing in a heartbeat.

Tuck

Quick question, has anything been said about a cd being made? We now have 4 seasons worth of songs to pick from, and yet nothing. I would love to have the songs with me wherever I go. Legally. Cause I want to support them.

Ugh no. the songs are easily the worst part of the show. Bacon Pancakes, the main theme and I think one other are the only jingles that are ok. The singing episodes are just awful.

CorvoSol

Ugh no. the songs are easily the worst part of the show. Bacon Pancakes, the main theme and I think one other are the only jingles that are ok. The singing episodes are just awful.

No way man. The singing parts are the best parts.

Jintor

A lot of them are bad out of story reasons (I.e. ICE KING IS SINGING). All of Marceline's are consistently excellent though.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What the heck!? I could not disagree with you more.

Cynosure: Yeah, Olivia Olson is great, I like her melancholy songs the best.

Still like her in Phineas and Ferb though, although she doesn't sing much. I am rocking with this song this Christmas time though.

Linky

As for the episode. still sort of iffy on it. i watched it a few times, and am noticing little things every time, but I still don't have any wild theories of my own. Maybe I don't work that way.

i would love a CD with the soundtrack of the show at least, not just the "sing-songs," but the score that complements so many episodes

Am I the only one who loves Big Destiny? He's a massie dick, but his dialogue and personailty are just too funny for me to hate him.

tumblr_mdeoul3LpD1ry7d1eo2_400.gif

tumblr_mdgmy2iNsS1qftn52o1_500.gif

"Big D's chilling... Wasteland style."

And of course,

"How did I even get here, son?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom