• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 6 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiN0

That's part of the issue for sure. It feels like they want to tell completely different stories than they originally did to do the show in the first place. That's fine and it's their show to do it and take it down it's path. I don't believe they can do the stuff they want to do in 11 minute episodes.

In addition, this last episode took a heavily political tone to explaining income inequality and how it propagates. I have no problem with telling different stories or even darker stories. They just aren't being done well. Maybe the show would be done better if it was on Adult Swim with less restraint. Last Thursday's episode probably would resonate better there as well and they would have probably been able to do a better job on it.

Yup. The 11-minute format has been hurting the series for a while and now that the writers are being more ambitious, it's become really apparent that they need more time. I also agree that the stories aren't as well composed as they used to be. They clearly want to explore more mature themes but I feel like they won't go all the way because the show is still officially for children.

As for this episode, I actually thought it was pretty good. The ending was very sweet and it shed a little light on the situation between jake and his kids.

Tuck

Spent the whole episode hating Jake's kids, but the ending was sweet. Still not really a fan of the direction they went with it, but I enjoyed the episode.

Odoul

Marceline's dad is a shithead.

Shoko's mom AND dad were shitheads.

Finn's dad is a shithead.

Jake is a shithead (already known but in a lovable way previously).

I still hope Finn's biological mom get's an episode and turns out to be just as big a disappointment as Martin.

Mechazawa

This show is really weird to come back to after not catching every episode past the second season. I know that there's always been a long thread of continuity in the show, but still. Jake's kids? What.

About last episode
What's stopping Jakes kids from seeing him? Don't they know where he lives, just come over unannounced

This episode
Was random but random good, lol at the head swapping part.
Ron James the god

We need to know more about Giuseppe

This show is really weird to come back to after not catching every episode past the second season. I know that there's always been a long thread of continuity in the show, but still. Jake's kids? What.

Jake and Lady Rainicorn had children, but the rainicorn half made it so that the children age quickly, such that by the end of the episode where they were introduced, they had already grown old enough to become independent, so Jake wouldn't actually have to be a parent outside of the episodes focusing on his children. I still don't think that was the right way to handle it, but eh.

Speaking of which, new episode was eh.

Saw the episode with Finns dad. What a creepy and dark scene with the lich talking about death. Is the Lich storyline done now that he's a human, baby?

I liked it but the pacing was really weird, I think they relied way too much on the characters lore, this season had the strongest start yet but maybe a bit of a break is in order.

Tuck

I'm fine with the episodes this season - they've been great all around.

But the lack of Finn and Jake is growing more and more apparent, and I don't like it. Its fine if they want to go and expand the world. Totally cool. But I do feel like those episodes should be much more spaced out than they are currently.

Epcott

This question has been eating at me for a week now... Why was Cinnamon Bun dressed as a princess during Princess Day? Actually, why was he the only male allowed there in the first place?

Tuck

Episode was solid but I wasnt as enamored with it as some of the above posters.

Lack of Finn and Jake getting exasperating tbh.

Servbot24

Banned
Lack of Finn and Jake getting exasperating tbh.

Yeah, it's weird. They had set up the season to be the most plot-driven one yet with Finn and his dad.. then the dad never appears again, and Finn and Jake themselves barely show up either. Huh. I guess I understand if they're running out of Finn and Jake stories and want to expand a bit.

Hamlet

Decent enough episode really felt bad for Peacemaster by the end of the episode as Peppermint Butler said he took it too far

Lucario

What the fuck, peppermint butler. What the fuck :|

I'm guessing the series is moving away from Finn & Jake for a bit to establish more characters, which I'm fine with. They've done a great job with Flame Princess & Cinnamon Bun so far, and I'm sure we'll come back to Peacemaster's plotline by the end of the season. Poor guy.

zeemumu

I assumed that they were building all of this up for Bubblegum's fall by establishing a bunch of characters who would have reason to want to bring her down (Starchy's secret society, Peacemaster, Tree Trunks and Mr. Pig, King of Ooo, Rattleballs, etc.)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I assumed that they were building all of this up for Bubblegum's fall by establishing a bunch of characters who would have reason to want to bring her down (Starchy's secret society, Peacemaster, Tree Trunks and Mr. Pig, King of Ooo, Rattleballs, etc.)

It could possibly lead to the destruction of the Candy Kingdom as shown in Lemonhope's future.

There does feel like something is building.

Sadsic

i do not believe at this point anything is building to anything. even if something is building to building, it will then revert to nothing. which is fine; it just lowers the stakes for said anything.

Decent enough episode really felt bad for Peacemaster by the end of the episode as Peppermint Butler said he took it too far
Yeah, though that scene shows that Peppermint Butler really seems to have some kinda messed up priorities: he had already made Peacemaster's kids absolutely obsessed with dark magic and stuff and turned two of them into monsters and didn't think anything of it or think about releasing his spells or anything, but it was just him seeing Peacemaster eat dirt that made the mint man think things were going to far.

But yeah, I definitely felt terrible for and wanted to hug Peacemaster really bad by the end of the ep, the poor guy. :( Hope this is kinda going somewhere and he is able to get his revenge/get his kids turned back to normal.

corn_fest

It could possibly lead to the destruction of the Candy Kingdom as shown in Lemonhope's future.

There does feel like something is building.

Can't wait for Bubblegum to be removed from the throne
and then to return to power one episode later

CorvoSol

I wasn't a fan of this last episode at all. The part with Starchy's secret society was funny but the rest was really bland. I preferred Princess Day to Nemesis.

I wasn't a fan of this last episode at all. The part with Starchy's secret society was funny but the rest was really bland. I preferred Princess Day to Nemesis.
Yeah, Princess Day was just fun. This latest episode though just seemed like it was depressing for the sake of being depressing. We already knew that Peppermint Butler was evil--the series has been playing around with that for a while. And at the end of the episode, he was still evil, alive, and the only thing that had changed was that he had completely fucked over Peace Master, with it being ended on the note that Peebles still thinks that Peace Master is the problem and still has no clue about her Butler at all. The episode wasn't fun at all, had no real point other than "evil wins sometimes" (I guess it's setting up Peacemaster as potential adversary to him, but with the way the series is going, I wouldn't be surprised if we never hear from him again or if they just kill him off randomly if we do), and is just depressing.

Fake Edit: And as I'm writing this, I'm realizing that another kind of odd thing about this Peppermint Butler stuff is that they already have a complete total dick spellcaster character in the form of the Magic Man who could have easily stood in for the mint man and the episode really wouldn't have been different at all (in fact, it probably would have been better for it, since Magic Man pulls off that role better) and it just makes it even more odd that this episode was basically set up to tell us things we already know.

And that's kind of my problem with Adventure Time in general these days--too much shit in the series is just way too depressing lately and too many of the episodes just really aren't that fun or interesting or anything. I mean, first we have all of Finn's relationship drama which was fine by itself since he is a teenager and he's just going through the growing pains of his first relationships like any teen and so they're going to be all kinds of weird and awkward and stuff until he gets older and starts to actually figure that stuff out for himself, like anyone.

But on top of the drama Finn was already dealing with concerning his relationships, they decided to give him more drama due to his dad being absolutely terrible. Then we have Bubblegum being unhappy about the state of the Candy Kingdom for some reason and also seeming to be increasingly hinted at either being totally messed up in the head or some type of lawful-evil or something. Then, out of fucking nowhere they decide to kill Root Beer Guy off-screen for absolutely no fucking reason and retroactively steal and ruin the happy ending his and his wife's happy ending, with no benefit from it or anything (I really enjoyed "Root Beer Guy," so this one really grinds my gears, especially since it doesn't even seem to be in homage to a voice actor or anything as far as I can tell).

And even in happy, sweet, and fun episodes like say "Little Brother" there have to be bittersweet twists, such as implications that the plot point about Shelby having a girlfriend seeming to be dropped and them deliberately making up a stupid excuse to force Kent to go off on his own instead of just letting them be happy together as brothers or even have Shelby go after him and decide to go with him or whatever.

Of course, looking at the episode list of Season 6 so far, I realize that I'm not exactly being fair here, and there have been a lot of happy and fun stuff as well and in fact that's the majority of them so far. I suppose it's just kinda rubbing me the wrong way realizing that the vast majority of the cast of the show seem to be stuck in a state of perpetual unhappiness and the writers seem to want to keep them there, and it's wearing on me. I mean, I already covered characters like Finn and PB and stuff, and then you have all of the Ice King and Marceline's stuff (which of course actually are great episodes, but still), and then you have LSP's entire character being built around drama and her terrible relationship with her parents and herself just being kinda terrible and absolutely failing with relationships and stuff due to that and her inability to learn anything, and the writer's decision to make terribly depressing episodes like "Bad Timing" with her than for her to actually learn a thing at all and so forth.

Like I said, I realize I'm not exactly being fair here since this stuff isn't the focus most of the time and most of the stuff is still more lighthearted, but I guess it still bugs me that it even has as much focus as it gets, especially since they only seem to be putting more spotlight on that stuff with just adding layers of drama on top of existing drama with all of the stuff surrounding Finn's dad and Bubblegum and stuff, before they even finished dealing with any of the current problems surrounding Finn's love life or Simon dealing with the curse of the Ice King's crown and just letting it all build on top of each other and snowball instead of tying up some of those lose threads before dealing with new stuff so that it doesn't feel like it's just taking an increasing part of the focus and feel like things are going more and more downhill and Ooo (actually, thinking about it, I guess that really is my main problem I guess--the fact that they do just keep adding more and more lose threads and drama and crap instead of dealing with the drama that was already in the show before piling it on. Like, maybe it would be more fine with me if they had actually taken care of that other stuff first, but since they haven't...), if that makes any sense. I dunno.

And speaking of snowballing, didn't really mean for this to turn into such a rant as a writing it, but it just kinda happened and was a lot of stuff I guess I've meant to put into writing somewhere about this show for a while now and just needed to get out of me somewhere. Sorry about that, but I definitely do feel a bit better now, getting it out! xD
That's part of the issue for sure. It feels like they want to tell completely different stories than they originally did to do the show in the first place. That's fine and it's their show to do it and take it down it's path. I don't believe they can do the stuff they want to do in 11 minute episodes.

In addition, this last episode took a heavily political tone to explaining income inequality and how it propagates. I have no problem with telling different stories or even darker stories. They just aren't being done well. Maybe the show would be done better if it was on Adult Swim with less restraint. Last Thursday's episode probably would resonate better there as well and they would have probably been able to do a better job on it.
Yeah, this is also part of it for me. It's not just that the dark stuff is there, but when it is, bar stuff like the Ice King episodes, it just doesn't seem be handled well at all. Whether that's due to the 11-minute episodes, being stuck on Cartoon Network restraining some ideas that might want to take a bit further, some combination of these or whatever I don't know, but something just feels off about it all and I really don't like it.

I'm fine with the episodes this season - they've been great all around.

But the lack of Finn and Jake is growing more and more apparent, and I don't like it. Its fine if they want to go and expand the world. Totally cool. But I do feel like those episodes should be much more spaced out than they are currently.
I actually don't mind the lack of Finn and Jake at all, myself, and have in fact been enjoying a lot of the episodes where they don't show up at all (like "Little Brother" as I mentioned, bar the kind of bittersweet ending, and of course stuff like when they do a Simon episode or whatever). What it makes me wonder though was if they were going to try to get more experimental with the series anyway, and decrease the focus on Finn and Jake (particularly decreasing the focus on Jake in particular and have Finn do stuff more and more on his own anyway without Jake even being there or only showing up in completely inconsequential ways, as they played with on the show itself with the whole Jake being bummed about Billy dying thing) and do more and more stuff with other characters anyway... what exactly happened with "Jake the Dad"?

Why couldn't they have just let him actually enjoy being a dad just like he wanted to and just let him show up on adventures and stuff only and have Lady watch the kids when it was vitally important for the plot? Why handle it in such a terribly lackluster way (not that it couldn't have been avoided by just having LR and the kids move in with Finn and Jake and having Jake try and constantly juggle the roles of being an adventurer and being a father anyway and fumbling at it, but whatever) if they were going to decrease the amount of focus the two of them got in the show, especially when it was Jake in particular who was getting left out more and more anyway? Just so weird and bleh and stuff and just makes me feel even worse about how they totally robbed Jake of getting to enjoy being a dad like that, when it doesn't seem it it would matter anyway. Just... bleh. :(

Odoul

Being that this is the last episode before a hiatus, combined with it being about Jake's parents, combined with the general theme of this season so far...

I'm guessing we're gonna find out Finn & Jake have rose tinted glasses and Joshua turns out to be just a big a slag as Jake and Martin.

And the twist/cliffhanger will be their dad is alive/faked his death.

NEO0MJ

Being that this is the last episode before a hiatus, combined with it being about Jake's parents, combined with the general theme of this season so far...

I'm guessing we're gonna find out Finn & Jake have rose tinted glasses and Joshua turns out to be just a big a slag as Jake and Martin.

And the twist/cliffhanger will be their dad is alive/faked his death.

I hope not, Dad's Dungeon dealt with that.

daveo42

Banned
Nemesis was quite an odd episode all around. We knew Pep Butt was in on the dark arts for some time, but dang that ended up getting dark. Loved Starchy using a secret society to get all his info for the late night radio gig.

Princess Day was a better episode all around and basically a take on Thelma and Louise. Nice little homage there.

Epcott

Love the way Joshua speaks. Strange revelation at the end, though.

A life-form from dimension x is Jakes mom, and he was born from a lump on his dad's head? Or is Jake an infected piece of Joshua that fell off, like a tumor turned clone? Or was it all just Jake imagining a crazy story brought on by too much delicious cake?

I liked this episode! It's great to get some backstory on jakes parents. I always found them to be awesome.

The reveal at the end was pretty trippy too, lol.

NEO0MJ

Love the way Joshua speaks. Strange revelation at the end, though.

Or was it all just Jake imagining a crazy story brought on by too much delicious cake?

Yeah, it's all so strange. Weren't his powers supposed to be magic based at first?

Well, I guess that explains why we never see Jake's parents shapeshift in any flashbacks. Though were there really no references to dog shapeshifting being normal previously?
Good episode.

Pretty good episode. Now we now know that Jake is basically a
mutant dog

I also spotted a Pokéball when Margaret went to take her weapons ahah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom