• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 6 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rarity

Finn getting his arm back, especially so soon, kind of cheapens all of the build up towards him losing it in the first place imo. :/

It felt like they just aborted the arc and in such an anticlimactic way. I'm disappointed they weren't able to make his character overcome what happened to him
(i.e. giving him the time to be okay with who he was and that he didn't need his right arm)
. Anyways, the last few episodes have just felt really...off for me.

That episode was incredible.

While I appreciate these types of episodes, I can't shake the emotion-less look on my son's face while watching this. I'm now tired of these student film episodes and want to see my son wowed by the adventure and whimsey again when he used to pretend he was Finn. I get that it's probably hard to come up with unique and interesting ideas to keep those types of episodes fresh but they have definitely lost the script somewhere.

Time to pick a new show to watch then. Not only has Adventure Time never been a "kids show" but Pen said a long, long time ago he wanted to have Adventure Time be more like a collection of all kinds of different stories and formats instead of one singular narrative following just Finn and Jake. I get that it's an accessible show to all ages and the pure silly adventure episodes are fun and easily recreated by kids but that hasn't been what the show is about for quite some time.

Sorry if that comes off as blunt or rude but I also find calling the more experimental Adventure Time stories "student film episodes" incredibly disrespectful and insulting.

A couple of Adventure Time things I want to share.

In October there is an art book coming out called The Art of Ooo.

Also later this year there is a set of trading cards that include things like autographs, hand-drawn sketch cards, and more. You can check it out here. And here's a sample:

CFzI2rp.jpg

I like AT too, but being personally insulted is silly.

I'm an animator and writer myself and I personally know a lot of people who work on Adventure Time. I find it dismissive and disrespectful to have the hard work of fellow writers, many of them finding their first big break on the show, referred to as "student films" as if that somehow makes them lesser works, and that the writers have "lost the script" to the series just because it doesn't conform to weekly mindless adventures for children. That's incredibly insulting.

If one wants to watch that kind of show, check out Clarence, a brilliant new CN cartoon that is all about the weekly adventures of playful imaginative children with no over-arcing story or mythology to bog it down.

I'm an animator and writer myself and I personally know a lot of people who work on Adventure Time. I find it dismissive and disrespectful to have the hard work of fellow writers, many of them finding their first big break on the show, referred to as "student films" as if that somehow makes them lesser works, and that the writers have "lost the script" to the series just because it doesn't conform to weekly mindless adventures for children. That's incredibly insulting.

If one wants to watch that kind of show, check out Clarence, a brilliant new CN cartoon that is all about the weekly adventures of playful imaginative children with no over-arcing story or mythology to bog it down.

I think the point about me actually appreciating these types of episodes was missed in my change of tune after watching my son watch the episode. Calling them "student films" is just my way of desribing these experimental, off the script, near plotless and random episodes like this one. I'm not going to look for a different show just because a budding animator thinks my opinion is wrong. I love this show and applaud the bizarre. Maybe I'm just cynical, but it seems like there is a certain "agenda" to trying to be too artful with the consistency of these types of episodes.

I'd normally say keep em coming if we weren't getting them this often. That's my only point. Whenever they do get back to Finn and Jake being Finn and Jake, it's typically banal. Again, if it weren't so frequent, it'd be fine.

I remember Penn saying he never wanted to have the show get too weird and it was meant to be a kid's show.

Edit: Nice job equating my disappointment of the frequency of these experimental episodes with me not wanting a show with an over-arcing plot or mythology. You clearly missed my point.

Edit 2: For perspective, one of my favorite episodes of any cartoon is that King Worm episode.

daveo42

Banned
Really like Food Chain because of how fucked up it was. Weird bit about both the food chain and reincarnation thrown in together and how Finn dealt with it.
At the end of it all he reached nirvana as well, though no one else really cared.

I like some of these one-off episodes if they fall into that weird/enlightening category.

I think the point about me actually appreciating these types of episodes was missed in my change of tune after watching my son watch the episode. Calling them "student films" is just my way of desribing these experimental, off the script, near plotless and random episodes like this one. I'm not going to look for a different show just because a budding animator thinks my opinion is wrong. I love this show and applaud the bizarre. Maybe I'm just cynical, but it seems like there is a certain "agenda" to trying to be too artful with the consistency of these types of episodes.

I'd normally say keep em coming if we weren't getting them this often. That's my only point. Whenever they do get back to Finn and Jake being Finn and Jake, it's typically banal. Again, if it weren't so frequent, it'd be fine.

I remember Penn saying he never wanted to have the show get too weird and it was meant to be a kid's show.

Edit: Nice job equating my disappointment of the frequency of these experimental episodes with me not wanting a show with an over-arcing plot or mythology. You clearly missed my point.

Edit 2: For perspective, one of my favorite episodes of any cartoon is that King Worm episode.

If that's what you meant then I did misunderstand your tone and I apologize for flying off the handle, the way it was worded made it sound like you were essentially saying "My son doesn't enjoy these episodes, they're no better than student films, the show runners have lost their way" which I took offense to. The creator is my friend and I've known the main writers for years, they're doing what they want to and have always wanted to do with the show. I'm not one to ever say someone can't like something, of course those weird episodes won't be everyone's cup of tea, I just didn't take to the language used towards the writers. It's fine to not like something but you [not YOU, the general 'you'] don't need to be rude to the people who worked hard to make it, budding or seasoned.

But text doesn't convey tone very well at all so I clearly read your meaning wrong. Which you coincidentally did with my suggestion of Clarence - I didn't mean "this show has no running plot, you'll like it" I just meant it as this: Finn grows and ages with each season of Adventure Time. He's what, 14, 15 now at least? He was 11 in the pilot IIRC and it's on Season 6, so. The show's core audience has grown with him but because of its continuity there's not really any "going back" to the way it was in earlier seasons. Finn is older now and his interests have clearly changed. This is a danger for the show of course because it could eventually outgrow its own audience. But of course a bomb could go off next week and reset everything so who really knows? My exact words were "no over-arcing story or mythology to bog it down" meaning Clarence isn't caught all up in its own shit like Adventure Time is now. It's just fun, imaginative, kids being kids and no villains or hormones or plots about existential whatever that Adventure Time has turned in to. I suggested it more for your son, not for you, but it's a really wonderful show so you'd probably like it as well.

Hands down my favorite episode of adventure time.

This season they've really been firing on all cylinders. I've genuinely loved every episode thus far.

sn00zer

This show has changed more than pretty much any show ive ever seen.... I have mixed opinions on it, but I am glad they they have kept becoming more inventive with a show that normal would have burned out 40 episodes ago

If that's what you meant then I did misunderstand your tone and I apologize for flying off the handle, the way it was worded made it sound like you were essentially saying "My son doesn't enjoy these episodes, they're no better than student films, the show runners have lost their way" which I took offense to. The creator is my friend and I've known the main writers for years, they're doing what they want to and have always wanted to do with the show. I'm not one to ever say someone can't like something, of course those weird episodes won't be everyone's cup of tea, I just didn't take to the language used towards the writers. It's fine to not like something but you [not YOU, the general 'you'] don't need to be rude to the people who worked hard to make it, budding or seasoned.

But text doesn't convey tone very well at all so I clearly read your meaning wrong. Which you coincidentally did with my suggestion of Clarence - I didn't mean "this show has no running plot, you'll like it" I just meant it as this: Finn grows and ages with each season of Adventure Time. He's what, 14, 15 now at least? He was 11 in the pilot IIRC and it's on Season 6, so. The show's core audience has grown with him but because of its continuity there's not really any "going back" to the way it was in earlier seasons. Finn is older now and his interests have clearly changed. This is a danger for the show of course because it could eventually outgrow its own audience. But of course a bomb could go off next week and reset everything so who really knows? My exact words were "no over-arcing story or mythology to bog it down" meaning Clarence isn't caught all up in its own shit like Adventure Time is now. It's just fun, imaginative, kids being kids and no villains or hormones or plots about existential whatever that Adventure Time has turned in to. I suggested it more for your son, not for you, but it's a really wonderful show so you'd probably like it as well.
I also apologize for getting so defensive.

What you assumed I meant is exactly what I meant... as a father. As a viewer and fan, I love this stuff.

BUT, it has become too consistent. Besides the first ep of the season, it's been quite a while since we've seen Finn and Jake proper. Again, I applaud the bizarre and appreciate this show for beig as fantastically different than everything else, but there's always that big "but".

The last few episodes of Adventure Time are probably my very favourites right now. It feels like they've got a really good mix between whimsical adventure, and more melancholy/darker undercurrents beneath that. Food Chain blew my mind watching it round my friend's house, and the random musical interludes in the episode with the bee damn near broke my heart.

I may have been a little out-of-it when watching, so that no doubt helped...

I was digging the animation in Food Chain, but I don't know how I feel about the content. It almost seems like its begging me to be altered in some way to watch it. Adventure Time has been on some inspired stuff recently tho. I'm still waiting for an episode about Peppermint Butler

Glad I continued with Season 5, the second half of the season feels on fire. Can't wait to get to the next season!

Any recommended sites with good/tasteful AT-related posters, artwork, or shirts?

Just caught up to this season! Watched the ep where Finn loses his arm last night. That entire setpiece at the citadel was great: the "ancients"/criminals waking up, the guardians trying to eliminate them and failing, etc.

Makes me REALLY wish there was a great Adventure Time game.

This episode bothered me in so many ways :mad:

Trying to be objective about it and put aside personal biases: it was alright, but I agree that it's definitely the weakest of the three Fionna and Cake episodes. It fell into the same problem that normal AT episodes have sometimes - LSP is a "good in small doses" character.

Last two eps just got posted on Xbox Video.

Food Chain was amazing. I know some are mixed on it, and I really hope we get some more develop re: Dad the Human and Finn's arm (something tells me it's not going to be quite the same, if all the flash forwards from the prior seasons are any indication), but the animation and songs were spectacular.

LSP ep was okay, but mostly due to the amazing man-faces and the lovely Peter Serafinowicz.

I admit, I loved that the way to defeat his parents was "not caring". It was great that even after he released his parents from their spell, he still destroyed them.

Stulaw

Last two eps just got posted on Xbox Video.

Did you miss last week's Furniture and Meat? That was pretty good.

I liked some of The Prince Who Wanted Everything, although it did take Fionna and Cake out of the immersion too much with them being like 'Okay' to everything, like it didn't really matter if they were there or not.

Something Big next week.

Did you miss last week's Furniture and Meat? That was pretty good.

I liked some of The Prince Who Wanted Everything, although it did take Fionna and Cake out of the immersion too much with them being like 'Okay' to everything, like it didn't really matter if they were there or not.

I have no idea what Xbox/MS is up to. Here is all I have:

1. Wake Up / Escape from the Citadel 4/20/2014
2. James II / The Tower 5/4/2014
3. Sad Face / Breezy 6/4/2014
4. The Prince Who Wanted Everything / Food Chain 6/25/2014

I agree re: Fionna and Cake. I realize that was just an extension of LSP's storytelling, but it made them pretty boring.

PolishQ

I have no idea what Xbox/MS is up to. Here is all I have:

1. Wake Up / Escape from the Citadel 4/20/2014
2. James II / The Tower 5/4/2014
3. Sad Face / Breezy 6/4/2014
4. The Prince Who Wanted Everything / Food Chain 6/25/2014

I agree re: Fionna and Cake. I realize that was just an extension of LSP's storytelling, but it made them pretty boring.

That's what's been released on iTunes so far as well. However, apparently "Furniture & Meat" aired on June 19th. We'll probably get that one along with this week's "Something Big" (Moynihan ep!) on Friday.

Tuck

The great thing about Fiona and Cake is that even if its lousy, its just fan fiction in context of the shows canon.

Personally, Ive never been a fan, but I find their episodes, including this one, enjoyable enough.

Aizo

Banned
Does anyone have a gif of the scene in episode 6, about a minute and a half in, when Finn leaves Doctor Princess' office, and is walking by dragging his body between his legs? It's so pathetic and funny looking. I must have it.

Aizo

Banned
Wow. I just watched Food Chain, and really didn't enjoy it. I say "Wow," because I'm a big fan of Yuasa Masāki's work. I guess I don't like the guest episodes; I really didn't enjoy A Glitch is a Glitch at all.

How unfortunate :/

Nelo Ice

Banned
Speaking of food chain I showed that to my little cousins last night and every single one of them had a giant WTF look on their face lol.

zulux21

yay I am finally caught up properly again so I can actually read this thread :p
that being said I haven't really enjoyed most of the last 4-6 eps starting with sad face or whatever...

as the one poster previously in this thread said, they kind of feel like student films.... caring more about being artsy and different instead of telling a good/enjoyable story.

and to the person that got defensive about that... just because they don't appeal to me and I don't feel like they were good episodes, that doesn't mean I think the creators have no talent, I just don't feel they were good episodes... it's really that simple... nothing that is created will be enjoyed by everyone that sees it and you can't take offense if someone doesn't like it, people have different tastes o_O;

but yeah, that last fiona and cake episode was super weak... doesn't help that I don't feel that LSP is a good enough character to be used for anything more than a one off joke here and there... a whole episode with her front and center is not going to end up well for me in general. As the other person said, the main issue was the fiona and cake in general didn't really feel like they mattered at all, which given LSP's personality would kind of be the point, which kind of just made the overall idea for the episode a failure, and not the writing for the episode a failure.

but yeah, I don't mind when they go with the more odd, artsy episodes from time to time, but they are happening way to often recently. I like the random adventures of the show, I like the overarching plot.... watching 11 min
of jake's butt being a clown while he is sleeping is just
... bleh... of course I won't drop the show any time soon, I still really enjoy it :p

Speaking of food chain I showed that to my little cousins last night and every single one of them had a giant WTF look on their face lol.

my wife had that same look :p I more just had a... sigh... another episode I will have to skip when I rewatch the show because it's pointless and boring look on my face :/

Eh, I don't think it's been that bad of a season, though not all episodes have released to Xbox Video yet. The first two of the season were some of the best in the series, IMO.

Excellent
Wake Up
Escape from the Citadel

Good
James II
Breezy
Food Chain

Eh
The Tower
The Prince Who Wanted Everything

Bad
Sad Face

zulux21

Eh, I don't think it's been that bad of a season, though not all episodes have released to Xbox Video yet. The first two of the season were some of the best in the series, IMO.

Excellent
Wake Up
Escape from the Citadel

Good
James II
Breezy
Food Chain

Eh
The Tower
The Prince Who Wanted Everything

Bad
Sad Face

I haven't hated the season just the last few weeks
for me
good:
wake up, escape from the citadel, games II, the tower, Breezy (weakest of the good)

bad:
sad face(too artsy and boring), food chain(too artsy and boring), furniture and meat(dislike when jake becomes a big jackass in general), the prince who wanted everything(dislike LSP in general)

as the one poster previously in this thread said, they kind of feel like student films.... caring more about being artsy and different instead of telling a good/enjoyable story.

and to the person that got defensive about that... just because they don't appeal to me and I don't feel like they were good episodes, that doesn't mean I think the creators have no talent, I just don't feel they were good episodes... it's really that simple... nothing that is created will be enjoyed by everyone that sees it and you can't take offense if someone doesn't like it, people have different tastes o_O;

There's not really any reason to get back into this because we've made amends, but that's not what I was arguing or taking offense to though. People like different things and that's totally awesome. If you like or dislike a different thing from me, that's totally your right and more power to you, you're right that not all people will like all the same things and thank god for that. I was taking issue to the way he worded his dislike because of a misunderstanding in the way he wrote it. Saying "I don't like this, it's not for me" is different from saying "I don't like this, the people who made it are talentless". But he explained what he meant and it's done now.

zulux21

If you like or dislike a different thing from me, that's totally your right and more power to you, you're right that not all people will like all the same things and thank god for that. .

yup, heck shows like adventure time likely wouldn't exist if everyone liked the same things... one of the main reasons it's awesome is because it's rather different.

We do how ever need a real adventure time game, it's rather depressing that we keep getting cheap cash ins with adventure time, though the title song from the first game was awesome.

on a different note... why did adventure time get moved from mondays to thursdays o_O;?

We do how ever need a real adventure time game, it's rather depressing that we keep getting cheap cash ins with adventure time, though the title song from the first game was awesome.

Seriously. It is mind boggling to me that a good dev has not made an RPG/dungeon crawler, multiplayer or otherwise, set in this world. It is BEGGING for it.

Tonights episode should be good but will probably end up like James II, over quickly and Finn wins

We need dat half hour special for episodes like this.

Hope I'm wrong :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom