• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 6 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

I think the Prismo episode is insight into how the show is going to wrap up... a big temporal looping paradox so you can keep rewatching the series forever (but with at least one out for it to end). Expect more things to revert back towards the status quo.
Hrm... Finn's into BP again. Time is a flat circle.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That was so good.
Jake is such a dick (though I would totally be in the same situation, sitting back and laughing).
It'd be interesting if Finn & PB's relationship goes somewhere.

That was so good.
Jake is such a dick (though I would totally be in the same situation, sitting back and laughing).
It'd be interesting if Finn & PB's relationship goes somewhere.
Finn's getting older, and since PB's hang up was about his maturity, I can see PB coming around as Finn gets closer to 19.

The Hermit

I love that episode, it shows how both are growing up.

The candy people are hilarious, I would do the same as Jake. I didn't though he was evil.

zeemumu

They've made it pretty clear over the years that most candy people are inept. I think the only exceptions aside from PB are Root Beer Guy and Peppermint Butler.

zeemumu

I don't think he's going after PB in the same style. He seems more relaxed and less spastic and out to impress, which is the point that everyone needs to reach to be able to have a relationship. They could stay friends and he'd probably be fine with it.

Psxphile

Promo image for today's episode. Could be considered spoilery, maybe, by someone? So linking instead of embedding, just in case.

Steve Wolfhard said:
This is a big one. Listen, I’m in the know. A lot of you have seen this already but you should watch it again because it’s super good.

This one is Tom’s baby, I boarded the middle of it but Tom wrote the outline and did the rad design for the character Evergreen. It’s solid.

Also look out for me voicing Slimy D and the ice imp. My first voice acting, my last voice acting.

Mesoian

I don't think he's going after PB in the same style. He seems more relaxed and less spastic and out to impress, which is the point that everyone needs to reach to be able to have a relationship. They could stay friends and he'd probably be fine with it.

Which, to be fair, women find attractive.

zeemumu

Which, to be fair, women find attractive.

I think it's less of women finding it attractive and more of it being better because they don't feel like every guy that is friendly is trying to get them to go out with them and they have more of a say in the speed of the friendship/relationship, so instead of becoming friends for the sole purpose of attraction, they're friends because they actually get along.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So this is how the world ends...

That's one hell of an origin for the Ice King's crown. Explains a lot.

Epcott

Soooo, it focused on the rulers of Ooo's predecessors? And the future is fudged? I thought the comet represented Litch King until the very end reveal.

That shit was craaaaaaaazy. Who did the voice of Gunther? I recognized them but can't place the voice.

The voice actress of Bobby from King of the Hill and Rusty from Big Guy and Rusty.

TheOGB

Banned
Good lord I can't handle all dat lore

That shit was craaaaaaaazy. Who did the voice of Gunther? I recognized them but can't place the voice.
Pretty sure that's Pamela Adlon.

Soooo, it focused on the rulers of Ooo's predecessors? And the future is fudged? I thought the comet represented Litch King until the very end reveal.
It seems that the crown did grant Gunter's deepest wish, which was to be just like Evergreen, to the point of obsession. The first comet hit, and probably brought the Lich/the source of the Lich, killed the dinosaurs, etc.
The new comet coming... yeah, that's probably something else, and they're probably boned.

Zapages

interesting ending… But doesn't explain what happened with the ending of lemon folk's savior (whatever his name was)

Psxphile

Comet, huh? Seen this before:

"Listen carefully, Simon's Comet will return by the end of this summer. And the Lich King will use its power to end all life once and for all. If he succeeds, even Prismo won't be able to restore peace to the world. Finn, you must defeat the Lich *before* the comet arrives."

interesting ending… But doesn't explain what happened with the ending of lemon folk's savior (whatever his name was)

You're talking about the future Candy Kingdom, completely ravaged and abandoned? Maybe has nothing to do with the new comet, which could be season/series finale material.

Raxus

Comet, huh? Seen this before:

"Listen carefully, Simon's Comet will return by the end of this summer. And the Lich King will use its power to end all life once and for all. If he succeeds, even Prismo won't be able to restore peace to the world. Finn, you must defeat the Lich *before* the comet arrives."

You're talking about the future Candy Kingdom, completely ravaged and abandoned? Maybe has nothing to do with the new comet, which could be season/series finale material.

When was the quote brought up?

Shit is getting realer that real in AT and Steven Universe.

If the power of the crown is to be able to grant its wearers deepest wish then why did Simon become the Ice King?
As that was the first wish the crown granted for Gunter, is that now 'locked-in' and the crown will only now bestow ice powers to whomever puts it on?

NEO0MJ

If the power of the crown is to be able to grant its wearers deepest wish then why did Simon become the Ice King?
As that was the first wish the crown granted for Gunter, is that now 'locked-in' and the crown will only now bestow ice powers to whomever puts it on?

Seems that way, at least for now. Maybe PB can reset it.

J-Rod

So did Dino Gunter presumably die from the comet? It almost leaves the impression that ice king is Gunter. I would have thought so if had not seen the previous episodes about Simon.

Venture

This episode certainly changed the way I look at things. I'd always thought about the candy people and other odd creatures in terms of nuclear war and mutations. Now it seems they were a natural part of the world form the beginning.

Seems that way, at least for now. Maybe PB can reset it.
Don't forget about Betty.

So did Dino Gunter presumably die from the comet? It almost leaves the impression that ice king is Gunter. I would have thought so if had not seen the previous episodes about Simon.

no he's not Gunter but it was the origin of his crown, as mentioned above it gave him ice powers because that was Gunter's wish

It's certainly framed to give that impression!
Though yeah Dino Gunter died and his memory lives on within the crown which will be why the Ice King inherited his same power and also why Ice King 'dreams of him sometimes'

Don't forget about Betty.

I was thinking about her after this episode.
I'd thought the power she'd been researching to help Simon would now instead be needed to fend off the comet and he'd be forever doomed.
Her resetting the crown so it can used for it's original purpose of destroying the comet is a lot more logical though :p

I'm waiting for the Bubblegum reverse-heelturn where she knew about the comet all along and her gathering of artefacts, etc was just a preventative plan for it this whole time.

zeemumu

I assumed that the crown's abilities would be based on the wish of the first person who wore it wished for. If it had been the comet-destroying wish, then the crown would have become an artifact with the ability to destroy comets. But Gunter's wish to be like Evergreen combined with the constant verbal abuse caused the crown to grant Evergreen's powers and Gunter's warped perception of Evergreen's personality.

Basically the crown is gives you ice powers, but also Gunter's messed up psyche after it fused with Evergreen's personality. Ice King's misuse of his own powers and childish behavior (and naming all of his penguins different variations of the same name like what Gunter was doing with his cat(?)) are traits taken from Gunter himself, while the actual abilities, rudeness, and appearance are taken from Evergreen.

There is one question, though: who stopped the comet? They didn't destroy it since it's supposed to return, but if it had hit then the planet should have been destroyed, right? It's also cements the idea of magical creatures prior to the mushroom war.

Crispy75

There is one question, though: who stopped the comet? They didn't destroy it since it's supposed to return, but if it had hit then the planet should have been destroyed, right? It's also cements the idea of magical creatures prior to the mushroom war.
Remember this?
(blink and you'll miss it)
0AZnj2E.gif

And in case you missed it (huge image)
AT_earth2.jpg

Since Gunter & Nina are pretty much dinosaurs, i'd imagine that the comet Evergreen was trying to stop was the Chicxulub asteroid that hit earth and wiped out the dinosaurs.

Psxphile

^ Maybe not.

Order of events seems to go:

age of dinosaurs and apparently magical elementals -> First Impact -> magic fizzles, rise of mammals -> age of humankind -> Second Impact (i.e. catastrophic event that may or may not be the result of another comet) -> magic and all manners of new mutant life emerge -> Land of Ooo civilization established -> 1000 years later, and Third Impact looms

Here's the thing: the promo pic I linked to earlier suggests First Impact resulted in the now-familiar gigantic missing chunk of Earth. Are we to assume that humanity arose on a planet with a humongous crater on its melon? Did this universe's humans not think it was such a big deal? Maybe that's why Simon was so interested in artifacts of the old world: trying to piece together how the world became so damaged?

Or the image is wrong.

The other thing that weirds me out is how the 1st comet seemed to have Lich-like characteristics (green, comet trails that look like horns) so it seems to have something to do with the Lich. This is just headcannon but maybe the evil desire to extinguish all life that makes up The Lich was inside the comet and buried itself deep within the Earth during the collision and later was awakened by humanity's Mushroom War, resulting in the destruction of modern civilization.

Adventure Time's version of Zeal futzing with Lavos and paying the price, basically.

Tuck

^ Maybe not.

Order of events seems to go:

age of dinosaurs and apparently magical elementals -> First Impact -> magic fizzles, rise of mammals -> age of humankind -> Second Impact (i.e. catastrophic event that may or may not be the result of another comet) -> magic and all manners of new mutant life emerge -> Land of Ooo civilization established -> 1000 years later, and Third Impact looms

Here's the thing: the promo pic I linked to earlier suggests First Impact resulted in the now-familiar gigantic missing chunk of Earth. Are we to assume that humanity arose on a planet with a humongous crater on its melon? Did this universe's humans not think it was such a big deal? Maybe that's why Simon was so interested in artifacts of the old world: trying to piece together how the world became so damaged?

Or the image is wrong.

The other thing that weirds me out is how the 1st comet seemed to have Lich-like characteristics (green, comet trails that look like horns) so it seems to have something to do with the Lich. This is just headcannon but maybe the evil desire to extinguish all life that makes up The Lich was inside the comet and buried itself deep within the Earth during the collision and later was awakened by humanity's Mushroom War, resulting in the destruction of modern civilization.

Adventure Time's version of Zeal futzing with Lavos and paying the price, basically.

No, I don't think thats right. In the episodes "Finn the Human" and "Jake the Dog," the farmworld was shown to not have a crater - in fact, you see the comet heading towards the earth then change direction at the last second.

This universe is a place where the Lich never existed (i.e the comet doesnt hit and the bomb doesnt go off) - yet we see in Evengreen the comet is shaped like the Lich, and in Farmworld, the Lich comes from the bomb.

So the way I see it, The Lich isnt a single entity - its basically evil incarnate, that takes numerous forms. Or like you said, it got burried in the earth and then sealed in that bomb (But then why is there another Lich comet heading towards the earth?)

The comet that caused the crater is definitely the one that hit around the time of the mushroom war (though its still not clear if its what caused the war - but this would be likely as the survivors would go to war over remaining resources and infrastructure. On the other hand, maybe its something that happened after the war and just made matters worse).

Re: the crown. I think Gunther basically corrupted the crown - it wasn't used int he way it was supposed to. Thats why the crown made simon go crazy - it basically turned him into a new Gunther.

Other takeaways - Gunther and Evergreen are dead, but I wonder if the other elementals are. They were frozen in ice so maybe they could have survived. On the other hand, they were at ground zero so maybe not. Also, Slime is one of the four major elements yet hasn't played a big role in Adventure Time to date, unlike Ice, Fire and Candy - I wonder if they chose slime deliberately or just for kicks. Also mentioned is thata comet hits the earth every 1000 years - thats pretty frequent, though they did say only some of them are Lichy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom