• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 6 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stulaw

I liked the episode, yes Breezy
Was obsessed with fertilising Finn's Stamen
but she was pretty cool in a way.

Also, the bit where
Breezy used telekinesis to get rid of the male bees was like the end of a Pokemon episode, with her "Evolving" and the bees(Team Rocket) "blasting off again"

LSP
showed Finn how to really "make out", I doubt there was any sex involved. More like kissing with tongues... probably.

Lastly Finn
still seems to be in love with PB, he is her champion, and he wants to be by her side.

Next episode on the list "Food Chain", looks interesting.

The Hermit

I liked the episode, yes Breezy
Was obsessed with fertilising Finn's Stamen
but she was pretty cool in a way.

Also, the bit where
Breezy used telekinesis to get rid of the male bees was like the end of a Pokemon episode, with her "Evolving" and the bees(Team Rocket) "blasting off again"

LSP
showed Finn how to really "make out", I doubt there was any sex involved. More like kissing with tongues... probably.

Lastly Finn
still seems to be in love with PB, he is her champion, and he wants to be by her side.

Next episode on the list "Food Chain", looks interesting.

Yes it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg1kGCXO9zs

Popnbake

Liked that it touched on some mature themes but damn that ending sucked.

The whole episode sucked for me.

Breezy, Finn and LSP, and that arm solution just seems like a rushed job.

I don't know what direction AT is going with in having such an anticlimactic showing but I don't like it.

daveo42

Banned
Finally watched Breezy. That whole episode felt like it'd be way over the heads of most kids. I get the whole
filling the void of lost love by hooking up with other ladies, it just felt kind of weird to me. Breezy was good, but man was she insanely obsessed with that flower. I get she's a bee, but her bit with the flower and LSP make-out time ending with Finn crashing at her place was...well I don't want to think about it. The arm biz was completely wasted too...because there are several issues going on with Finn right now and fixing his arm isn't going to help with either his lady problems or his dad problems. It solves nothing other than him being temporarily happy because he's got Righty back.

This episode weirded me out more than I liked it. There's some deep stuff going on here that's completely ruined by the ending.

Tuck

The whole episode sucked for me.

Breezy, Finn and LSP, and that arm solution just seems like a rushed job.

I don't know what direction AT is going with in having such an anticlimactic showing but I don't like it.

Unfortunately, Adventure Time ALWAYS goes the anti-climactic route. They nearly always return to the status quo. It is, in my eyes, the shows biggest flaw.

That episode kind of sucked. Was hoping for there to be more to that while arm thing since it's been teased for years now. Pretty disappointed.

Popnbake

Unfortunately, Adventure Time ALWAYS goes the anti-climactic route. They nearly always return to the status quo. It is, in my eyes, the shows biggest flaw.

Just thought it would be different this time given:

Was hoping for there to be more to that while arm thing since it's been teased for years now.

but I guess that doesn't mean much anymore.

But that's not all, in the episode Finn also hooked up with this:

1398061073733.jpg

large.gif

Jake, talk to ya boy.

Finally got to see the episode. While I'm glad that the show is tackling some mature issues (really, I love that as Finn grows older, the show does too) I was really hoping they'd resolve the arm thing with his dad or at least some other way than it was done in this episode. Also Lumpy Space Princess is like my favorite princess

There's an upcoming episode that seems to be the first that Jesse Moynihan wrote and storyboarded entirely by himself, called "Something Big". Why do I have a feeling it will be one of the best episodes ever?

I'm glad you posted this, because I've been itching to sing the praises of Jesse Moynihan for a long time, and this episode and your post give me a good excuse to do so.

There's a reason you have a feeling it will be one of the best episodes ever; it's because since Rebecca Sugar left, Jesse Moynihan has written nearly all of the great episodes. While Sugar should be credited for pushing the show into areas of greater character depth with episodes like ""It Came From the Nightosphere" and "What Was Missing", it's Moynihan that injects all of the weirdness, the thought-provokingness, the subversiveness into this show. His role in shaping what Adventure Time has become in these last few seasons simply cannot be understated.

go0VTvf.png

This is vintage Moynihan!

jnItGOc.gif

This, too.

VmBPMFo.png

Oh, and especially this.

Not only is a great character writer (not quite Sugar/Muto/Sanchez level, but close), but he's responsible for all these mystical/religious/occultic/sexual overtones being in the show. He hasn't crossed the line yet, in my opinion, but I can definitely see how some might see his episodes as being polarizing. But I think he's brilliant. One only need visit his website, jessemoynihan.com, and read a few pages of his epic ongoing comic "Forming" to see that he's a very...interesting writer. Or better yet, read his one shot comic "Spiritual Dad", and you'll understand what kind of effed up mad genius/tortured artist writes these episodes This ain't even hyperbole, man. I think he's that damn good. Because of his unique perspective he brings a flavor to the show that other writers can only try to emulate. And the show's ever-evolving "street slang" (i.e. "You about to get waggle-danced, you chicken!"). No one has contributed to the Adventure Time's unique vocabulary more than Jesse Moynihan.

When I see Jesse Moynihan's name in the storyboard credits I know it's going to be a top-notch episode, and yet as he continues to tackle darker themes I wonder if one day these dark episodes will be the death of the show. How far can Adventure Time roam from its initial, carefree premise? How far is too far? All I know is that, for me, he hasn't crossed that line yet. If he continues to write for animation after Adventure Time I am anxious if not frightened at what he might do next.

This ain't even hyperbole, he's that damn good.

Fantastic post, Valjean. For me one of the reasons I have Jesse Moynihan on my radar is his appearance awhile back (along with Pendleton) on Duncan Trussell's podcast. Highly recommended listen for Adventure Time fans.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
don't want to troll or anything..but would someone explain to me why adventure time is special?

i try to get into it..but i just, don't know. maybe i need another way to look at it?

so if someone would care to explain..?

don't want to troll or anything..but would someone explain to me why adventure time is special?

i try to get into it..but i just, don't know. maybe i need another way to look at it?

so if someone would care to explain..?

The show is really eclectic, either you'll like it or you won't.

It's lauded because it's insanely creative, the characters are generally likable, funny, and after so many years, the fanbase has grown to care about them. The stories range from what-the-fuck-did-I-just-watch to I-can't-believe-they-got-away-with-that to lighthearted adventures to silly meaningless tales to more deep personal stories about relationships, what makes a family, gender identity, death, losing one's self, etc. It appeals to a lot of people because the DNA of the show allows it to be literally anything it wants to be.

Not a stinger, it was a thorn.

Finn thought of PB, he "got wood" and when it "blew up" it was full of "sap". In the palm of his new hand was a thorn. We didn't really get to see if it was still there once he shook all the sap off, though.

OK, I know I just finished singing the praises of Jesse Moynihan, but that's stupid if true. His arm transforming into a wooden stump was just the logical outcome of his arm being a kind of plant arm to begin with. If it was all just to set up some sort of sexual gag where "hur hur Finn got wood" then I don't know what to think.

Alright, guys, question for you!

I really just started watching AT a few months ago and have just finished Season 5.

Seasons 1-3 were utterly spectacular. Season 4 was great, as well (I've only rewatched 1-3, so 4 isn't as fresh in my mind).

However, Season 5 felt a little...different? I don't know, I can't tell if the SHOW felt like it was running out of steam or if I was just getting fatigued due to marathoning the show because I loved it so much.

Is my perspective skewed or does the quality drop in the later seasons? This is the kind of show that I would be legit sad about if it whimpered quietly down to badness.

OK, I know I just finished singing the praises of Jesse Moynihan, but that's stupid if true. His arm transforming into a wooden stump was just the logical outcome of his arm being a kind of plant arm to begin with. If it was all just to set up some sort of sexual gag where "hur hur Finn got wood" then I don't know what to think.
Is there some reason why it can't be both? Metaphorically and literally he got wood. The entire episode is extremely sexual, I don't know of any other way they could have done it.

I really just started watching AT a few months ago and have just finished Season 5.

Seasons 1-3 were utterly spectacular. Season 4 was great, as well (I've only rewatched 1-3, so 4 isn't as fresh in my mind).

However, Season 5 felt a little...different? I don't know, I can't tell if the SHOW felt like it was running out of steam or if I was just getting fatigued due to marathoning the show because I loved it so much.

Is my perspective skewed or does the quality drop in the later seasons? This is the kind of show that I would be legit sad about if it whimpered quietly down to badness.

Season 5 turned into a double season, but things also started to change and get a little more dramatic around then too. It's still excellent, the lore just got deeper than other seasons. So you're probably experiencing both marathon fatigue, as well as noticing the tonal shifts taking place.

Crispy75

I felt the same as you, but so far season 6 has been a great improvement :)

PolishQ

I found the second half of Season 5 to be a lot more engaging. That said, in retrospect the first half had some great episodes - Puhoy, BMO Lost, A Glitch is a Glitch, etc. I think it just took the team a little while to figure out the proper pacing after such an intense season premiere.

Is there some reason why it can't be both? Metaphorically and literally he got wood. The entire episode is extremely sexual, I don't know of any other way they could have done it.

Because it's deep enough to just see it as Finn getting his mojo back--and thus, his arm--when realizing that he doesn't care about any of these girls, PB is still the one his heart belongs to. There doesn't have to be some "sexual awakening" angle forced into it, not to mention the fact that the metaphor relies on one's knowledge of juvenile erection slang. I won't argue that the episode is extremely sexual, but I can't take a metaphor that relies on a visual "wood" gag seriously, and so if it that was indeed Jesse Moynihan's intention I'd have to say that was unclassy of him. The metaphor doesn't even make sense--Finn is 15, and I'm sure he's already been through puberty; suddenly the sight of PB gives him an instant orgasm? His tree arm is his penis and the sap is semen? That's just gross, immature storytelling in my humble opinion. And I have to admit its weird that I'm so put off by these notions, because this is coming from someone who recognized the references to Thelema and the themes of sex and spirituality in "The Little People" and had no problem with it.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
The show is really eclectic, either you'll like it or you won't.

It's lauded because it's insanely creative, the characters are generally likable, funny, and after so many years, the fanbase has grown to care about them. The stories range from what-the-fuck-did-I-just-watch to I-can't-believe-they-got-away-with-that to lighthearted adventures to silly meaningless tales to more deep personal stories about relationships, what makes a family, gender identity, death, losing one's self, etc. It appeals to a lot of people because the DNA of the show allows it to be literally anything it wants to be.

thanks ^^ just got the first season in 1080p and will give it one more try..

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Well... that was an experience.
Probably the closest we'll get to an Adventure Time anime.

I do love that the show likes to experiment by getting different animators once in a while. Like A Glitch is a Glitch.

Hold up, the Yuasa ep aired tonight? Oh man, TWC changed the entire channel lineup today and I didn't have a chance to check my scheduled recordings. If it's not waiting for me later I will... pout/stew silently. :(

Banzai

Wow, weirdest episode yet, I love it. I like that songs are making a return to Adventure Time. They might never reach Rebecca Sugar-levels of awesomeness, but still.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Oh my fucking holy fuck my life!

That was one of the best episodes of AT ever. The animation, the music, the Japanese simplicity. Everything was perfect.

Really reminded me of the plat episode of Space Dandy, too.

While I appreciate these types of episodes, I can't shake the emotion-less look on my son's face while watching this. I'm now tired of these student film episodes and want to see my son wowed by the adventure and whimsey again when he used to pretend he was Finn. I get that it's probably hard to come up with unique and interesting ideas to keep those types of episodes fresh but they have definitely lost the script somewhere.

While I appreciate these types of episodes, I can't shake the emotion-less look on my son's face while watching this. I'm now tired of these student film episodes and want to see my son wowed by the adventure and whimsey again when he used to pretend he was Finn. I get that it's probably hard to come up with unique and interesting ideas to keep those types of episodes fresh but they have definitely lost the script somewhere.

Student-film? ;)

I love episodes like this. A glitch is a glitch is among my favourites. This one was educational too! ;P

I really liked the episode but would of prefered if it wasn't tied to AT universe I think the inclusion of magic man and the entire opening really was unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom