• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After replaying Mario World, I realized it's not all that. 3, YI and NSMBU are better

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Super Mario 2 USA is on there, and no mention of Yoshi's Island or Wario Land. I leave content. Though it's kinda weird that Super Mario Maker and Super Mario Run are counted as mainline titles, but whatever.

I don't think this is a good argument. Mario 64 was not left obsolete by Sunshine, which was not left obsolete by either Galaxy, which was not left obsolete by 3D Land/World, which will probably not be left obsolete by Odyssey

Zelda 1 was not left obsolete by Zelda 2, which was not left obsolete by Zelda 3, which was not left obsolete by Ocarina, which was not left obsolete by Majora, which was not left obsolete by Wind Waker, which was not left obsolete by Twilight Princess which was not left obsolete by BotW

I can go on

but suddenly since SMW did not make SMB3 obsolete it is the lesser game in your opinion? that is super arbitrary and does not gel with how we treat other nintendo games, and several franchises in general

I see your point, but you're giving more intensity to mine than I intended. Again, I don't necessarily mean that World is a worse game. I'm saying that Mario is Mario, and after giving us Super Mario 2 USA which flipped the game on its head and SMB3 that expanded on... well, everything SMB1 did, SMW felt less ambitious and imaginative. The levels and environments of Dinosaur Land aren't nearly as diverse and bizarre as those in the Mushroom Kingdom in 3. Mario was seen as the pinnacle of gaming and, dare I say, world-building for platformers back in the day. In that way SMW was too safe and it failed to live up to expectations. Still a great game in its own right obviously.

This would completely derail the topic so I'm not gonna elaborate too much, but I find it interesting that you brought up other Nintendo series to refute my argument: I'd actually argue that yes, those other games you mentioned also 'failed' in a way. Sunshine didn't crush 64 because, by and large, people think it's the black sheep of 3D Mario. The NSMB games aren't nearly as revered as the other 2D Mario titles because they're just unambitious, with mediocre music and the same old environments and assets over and over. It took Breath of the Wild for people to start thinking that okay, maybe this time Nintendo truly outdid Ocarina of Time (and maybe even the original Zelda, which it draws more upon). It took Retro to breathe some new life in Metroid (before that petered out eventually too). Kirby games are essentially the same game over and over. The broad point is: you could argue that Nintendo is 'bad' at the sequel game. They're great at making good games and maintaining a high level quality through most entries (at least compared to most developers). But they're bad at upping the ante in my opinion. They're often bad at reinventing a series in a way that, paradoxically, would live up to people's expectations. For all their talk about wanting to surprise people, they have a very formulaic approach to sequels, and when they break from it, they sometimes do it in ways that shows a blatant misunderstanding of what people like about them (Other M, anyone?). That's why BotW was so well-received. People expect an Empire Strikes Back after every A New Hope, but Nintendo keeps giving them The Force Awakens instead: good, competent, but mostly a rehash with a few elements switched around and sparse innovations. And sometimes they give us a prequel episode, ugh :p.

I really don't want to go off-topic here any longer though. Feel free to start a thread or to PM me if you really want to discuss this.

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
I don't understand the exercise of pitting games against each other when they're in different console generations.

SMW was great.

SMB3 was great.

NSMBU was forgettable, but fine. I enjoyed the challenge of it.

DrGrus

That's quite easy:

SMB
SMB2JP
Super Mario Land 1 and 2
Super Mario Sunshine
NSMB
NSMB2
SM3DL
SM3DW

edit: To be clear, before y'all pull the knives out, SMB was greatly influential, but it is utterly basic and primitive by today's standards.

SMB is still a fun game to speed run (without warp). Does it at least once a year.

And NSMB is also fun...

I give you super mario sunshine but that is because I suck in any 3D game.

EDIT:
The reason why I like NSMB DS is that I think it feels like a new take on SMB. Not a continue from SMB3. As I still like SMB I think that is a good thing.

NSMB Wii feels like it takes more from SMB3 and is probably a better game than NSMB. However I still enjoy playing NSMB.

Rayven

aka surume
It's on the easy side, but it's still my favorite for variety and exploration reasons. SMB3 was much more repetitive IMO from an enemy and environment perspective.

The world they created and visual style used just makes me want to revisit, again compared to SMB3 which feels sparse and tense and airship after airship.

petran79

Banned
That's quite easy:

SMB
SMB2JP
Super Mario Land 1 and 2
Super Mario Sunshine
NSMB
NSMB2
SM3DL
SM3DW

edit: To be clear, before y'all pull the knives out, SMB was greatly influential, but it is utterly basic and primitive by today's standards.

Playing Super Mario Land on an original Gameboy. I wonder how I even managed to finish the game. Tiny dot Mario, choppy framerate, pixel collision...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Worlds bland in every aspect and its music bites. I do like its castle outros though. Mario taking a mop and erasing the castle never gets old!

XandBosch

I'm just seeing now that heretics are still arguing that Yoshi's Island is a Mario game. I loved the game to death back when I was a kid, but no matter how much Nintendo wanted it to be true back then by calling it "Super Mario World 2" on the boxart, it is not, never was and never will be a sequel. It's a spin-off, and the SMW2 moniker was just a marketing trick to make it more appealing. Same with Wario Land: it never was Super Mario Land 3. The sequel to SMW, for better or for worse, is New Super Mario Bros. Though you could argue it's an SMB reboot for a new era.

The only game that gets a pass for this kind of marketing trickery is Super Mario Bros. 2 USA, and that's because nobody cares about Lost Levels and Nintendo went to the trouble of reworking Doki Doki Panic into the far superior Mario game. Even though it's a different game, it's still Super Mario Bros. 2 in everybody's mind but the Japanese (maybe? I don't know how they see the game nowadays).

Meh. Disagree. Yoshi's Island is a Mario game, and the fact that it said Super Mario World 2 on the box is just extra confirmation. Comparing it to Warioland doesn't really make any sense, that's a completely different game that doesn't have you interacting with Mario throughout the whole game.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Meh. Disagree. Yoshi's Island is a Mario game, and the fact that it said Super Mario World 2 on the box is just extra confirmation. Comparing it to Warioland doesn't really make any sense, that's a completely different game that doesn't have you interacting with Mario throughout the whole game.

You don't control Mario in Yoshi's Island, unless you count the handful of times you get a star. Mario is, for all intents and purposes, your energy bar/timer. If "interacting with Mario" is your criterion, then I guess Yoshi's Island DS is Super Mario World 3/Super Mario Bros. 5, and also a Donkey Kong/Wario game since you get baby versions of those characters as well.

Heck, even if you did control Mario in a platform-like game, that wouldn't automatically make it a mainline Mario title. Donkey Kong 94 and Mario vs. Donkey Kong let you control Mario and they're very much platform-based, yet nobody considers them part of the main series. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is a Donkey Kong platformer, yet nobody calls it Donkey Kong Country 4. Would it automatically become DKC4 if it said so on the box?

Yoshi's Island is a Mario spin-off and a Yoshi platformer. That's it. Just like - for better or for worse - Yoshi's Story. I'm not saying that in a derogatory way either. In all honesty, I'm not the hugest fan of Super Mario Bros. games. Yoshi's Island was my go-to Nintendo platformer (along with Kirby's Adventure). I liked it better than those precisely because it didn't feel like a Mario game. In what universe is a game where you control a dinosaur 99.9% of the time whose main mechanics are swallowing enemies and shooting eggs a continuation of Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 and World? But I guess all it takes is a token role for a babified Mario and a marketing blurb on the box to make it a Mario game. Eh.

Stoze

That's quite easy:

SMB
SMB2JP
Super Mario Land 1 and 2
Super Mario Sunshine
NSMB
NSMB2
SM3DL
SM3DW

So that makes it bad? Not good but dated, or even mediocre, but flat out bad? Also in no world are the 3D games bad games, god damn.

I need to lie down after reading this thread

orborborb

the only bad SMB game is Super Mario Land 2

the only not-great SMB games are Super Mario Land, New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Galaxy 2

the best SMB games are Super Mario Brothers Deluxe, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and New Super Luigi U

Sonic is flashier but looks worse imo

I appreciate the simplicity and easy readability of Super Mario World's design

Spot-on. Sonic 1 is a little too acidic for my tastes, although 2 and (especially) 3 & Knuckles are vast improvements.

SMW is kind of a weird one, graphically. It does a lot of things that I've ripped NES games for (simple, flat colors and backgrounds, lack of detail and shadows, etc.) but...there's something about it that I still find very appealing.Would have been really nice to see what Nintendo could have done if they truly utilized the SNES' power for that game.

Yeah, I always dug the super warm Playskool-esque design of the backgrounds and whatnot. Ever since Mario Maker, I've come to appreciate the minimalist style of 2D Mario more (ironically, 3D Land/World are pretty much the 3D realization of that style and while I felt it worked for Land, I wasn't that crazy about World, go figure).

(also ironically, for all the criticism towards NSMB aesthetics, NSMB2 actually does have a couple backgrounds inspired from SMW. Generally, I prefer that game's use of color to the other three)

Mael

You specifically said they were never seen again.

Lots of stuff in Mario games have been seen only once or twice. Chucks, for example. Reznor only appears in NSMB2. Rip Van Fish and Fishing Boo have never been seen since SMW. But that's pretty par for the course among Mario games! You say how ubiquitous SMB2 is but Flurrys have never been in any other game...Autobomb, Albatoss...Beezo was in Mario RPG under a different name...Cobrat, Hoopster, Phanto (one of the most famous enemies in the game), Porcupo, etc.

My point is that from a design standpoint Lost Level is a footnote that is kinda like design documents of content they didn't manage to put into games.
Some stuffs reappear in subsequent games, Yoshi is famously known for being a "leftover" from SMB1 that they couldn't implement before SMW for example.
SMB2 is also a massive success that they even choose as the 1st game they put marketing dollars behind to push the GBA.
Remember that Yoshi Story's tech demo for GBA? Yoshi Story a little better than Lost Level did on Famicon, that's probably they sold Super Mario Advance/SMB2 instead (which sold an additional 5.57M on GBA making it the 6th best selling GBA game after being the 4th best selling NES game).
Lost Level on the other hand is that "game that was not good enough so they sold something else instead".

Playing Super Mario Land on an original Gameboy. I wonder how I even managed to finish the game. Tiny dot Mario, choppy framerate, pixel collision...
choppy framewhat?

Super Mario World 2 being on the box isn't really confirmation. Thats something that was never really part of the Japan title and they just dropped it altogether for the GBA. The SNES Classic menu and marketing drops it too.

I sort of see the SMW2 label being more like how Tetris Attack has that name in spite of nothing to do with Tetris.

This idea that NSMBU couldn't possibly good just because of some weird stigma against the NSMB series is bizarre to me lol.

it's shit because:

1. The music is shit
2. Stale aesthetic, with repurposed assets and a completely unchanged style from 3 NSMB games that came before it
3. BAH BAH
4. The music is shit

All reasons why SMW is vastly superior to it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Really don't think World's Bowser is better than SMB3 Bowser. Baiting Bowser to his doom was probably one of my favorite things to do on the NES. Getting the timing down so you don't get hit in the last jump was exciting and was a fitting way to end the game.

Throwing an enemy at Bowser and dodging fireballs really seems like a very Super Mario World thing to do. There wasn't many places in the game that really taught you how to get good at throwing things at other things, so why not have a skill that could be new to the player be the way to beat the game. Just one more of SMW that seems cobbled together.

Game has enough abilities that they really could have created a great platformer, the world map with the secret exits allows for there to be easy and hard paths. The game plays well and looks good, just doesn't really do anything great with what it has.

SMB3 Bowser isn't bad, he's just kinda dull. SMW Bowser isn't great either, but it felt like more of a proper boss fight than SMB3 Bowser. SMB3 is still the overall better game IMO.

It's good that you finally saw the light OP.

It's too bad they didn't include All-Stars in the SNES mini, or alot of people could enjoy the superior Mario platformer: SMB3.

That's quite easy:

SMB
SMB2JP
Super Mario Land 1 and 2
Super Mario Sunshine
NSMB
NSMB2
SM3DL
SM3DW

Lol, and yet I supposedly think SMW is a bad game.

Super Mario 2 USA is on there, and no mention of Yoshi's Island or Wario Land. I leave content. Though it's kinda weird that Super Mario Maker and Super Mario Run are counted as mainline titles, but whatever.

I see your point, but you're giving more intensity to mine than I intended. Again, I don't necessarily mean that World is a worse game. I'm saying that Mario is Mario, and after giving us Super Mario 2 USA which flipped the game on its head and SMB3 that expanded on... well, everything SMB1 did, SMW felt less ambitious and imaginative. The levels and environments of Dinosaur Land aren't nearly as diverse and bizarre as those in the Mushroom Kingdom in 3. Mario was seen as the pinnacle of gaming and, dare I say, world-building for platformers back in the day. In that way SMW was too safe and it failed to live up to expectations. Still a great game in its own right obviously.

This would completely derail the topic so I'm not gonna elaborate too much, but I find it interesting that you brought up other Nintendo series to refute my argument: I'd actually argue that yes, those other games you mentioned also 'failed' in a way. Sunshine didn't crush 64 because, by and large, people think it's the black sheep of 3D Mario. The NSMB games aren't nearly as revered as the other 2D Mario titles because they're just unambitious, with mediocre music and the same old environments and assets over and over. It took Breath of the Wild for people to start thinking that okay, maybe this time Nintendo truly outdid Ocarina of Time (and maybe even the original Zelda, which it draws more upon). It took Retro to breathe some new life in Metroid (before that petered out eventually too). Kirby games are essentially the same game over and over. The broad point is: you could argue that Nintendo is 'bad' at the sequel game. They're great at making good games and maintaining a high level quality through most entries (at least compared to most developers). But they're bad at upping the ante in my opinion. They're often bad at reinventing a series in a way that, paradoxically, would live up to people's expectations. For all their talk about wanting to surprise people, they have a very formulaic approach to sequels, and when they break from it, they sometimes do it in ways that shows a blatant misunderstanding of what people like about them (Other M, anyone?). That's why BotW was so well-received. People expect an Empire Strikes Back after every A New Hope, but Nintendo keeps giving them The Force Awakens instead: good, competent, but mostly a rehash with a few elements switched around and sparse innovations. And sometimes they give us a prequel episode, ugh :p.

I really don't want to go off-topic here any longer though. Feel free to start a thread or to PM me if you really want to discuss this.

Canvas Curse? Squeak Squad? Amazing Mirror?

it's shit because:

1. The music is shit
2. Stale aesthetic, with repurposed assets and a completely unchanged style from 3 NSMB games that came before it
3. BAH BAH
4. The music is shit

It shouldn't really matter that you were used to the aesthetic as the levels themselves were fun.

The bah bah hate also never made sense to me. It just felt like an extension of sound effects they started using with the N64. You hear it every time you go to select a star in Mario 64, but I can't imaging people were that putoff by it there.

Feffe

You don't control Mario in Yoshi's Island, unless you count the handful of times you get a star. Mario is, for all intents and purposes, your energy bar/timer. If "interacting with Mario" is your criterion, then I guess Yoshi's Island DS is Super Mario World 3/Super Mario Bros. 5, and also a Donkey Kong/Wario game since you get baby versions of those characters as well.

Heck, even if you did control Mario in a platform-like game, that wouldn't automatically make it a mainline Mario title. Donkey Kong 94 and Mario vs. Donkey Kong let you control Mario and they're very much platform-based, yet nobody considers them part of the main series. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is a Donkey Kong platformer, yet nobody calls it Donkey Kong Country 4. Would it automatically become DKC4 if it said so on the box?

Yoshi's Island is a Mario spin-off and a Yoshi platformer. That's it. Just like - for better or for worse - Yoshi's Story. I'm not saying that in a derogatory way either. In all honesty, I'm not the hugest fan of Super Mario Bros. games. Yoshi's Island was my go-to Nintendo platformer (along with Kirby's Adventure). I liked it better than those precisely because it didn't feel like a Mario game. In what universe is a game where you control a dinosaur 99.9% of the time whose main mechanics are swallowing enemies and shooting eggs a continuation of Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 and World? But I guess all it takes is a token role for a babified Mario and a marketing blurb on the box to make it a Mario game. Eh.
Yoshi's Island was developed by the main Mario Team and was considered by those people their next main game. In the way it's also the missing link between World and 64: to 100% finish YI you have to revisit the the same levels looking for collectibles.
For the record I don't see the Mario Land games (and the Wario ones) as mainline Mario games. They were developed by different team and had no influence over the main series.

it's shit because:

1. The music is shit
3. BAH BAH
4. The music is shit

#2 Isn't really true for NSMBU. The backgrounds are significantly different and the entire game's aesthetic has a more cooler color palette.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yoshi's Island was developed by the main Mario Team and was considered by those people their next main game. In the way it's also the missing link between World and 64: to 100% finish YI you have to revisit the the same levels looking for collectibles.

No it wasn't. The game released in Japan was just called Yoshi's Island. The decision to call it SMW2 was a decision made by the suits at NoA.

Sciz

Wikipedia isn't the best source, but it's telling me the game was released in Japan as "Super Mario: Yoshi's Island"

902d8e3c69b3f37d44cc304sq0.jpg

スーパーマリオ is "Super Mario" in katakana, yes.

That said, the same thing goes for Wario Land being preceded with "Super Mario Land 3" even in Japanese and nobody considers that a Mario game.

ItIsOkBro

People keep mentioning the Ghost Houses of World as a plus, when the fortresses of SMB3 were better Ghost Houses than the actual Ghost Houses of World.

also World made fortresses and castles a bit too similar, whereas SMB3 had fortresses and the castles were god damn flying ships.

LOL at the hate for NSMBU. Gameplay wise it's the best mario game. The speed running and crazy shit you can do at a higher skill level is insane.

As for the thread topic. SMW is still great fun and I really loved the music in it. It felt like a happy welcome to the Mario series. I started with SMB/SMB3 and then only played SMW but at such a young age those bright colors and the music really appealed to me. I also don't consider the level design all that great, but still love speed running it because it is by far one of the easiest one's to speed run and although I'm really good at mario titles I'm not on the level of those runners who make it look like they are on TAS levels of good

I don't understand the exercise of pitting games against each other when they're in different console generations.

Joe Schmo has never never played a 2D Mario game. He wants to know if he should get an SNES Classic to play Super Mario World, or if he should pick up New Super Mario Brothers U.

Or maybe he played World and thought it was okay, and would consider picking up NSMBU if it's considered as good/better. Or vise versa.

DrGrus

No.

The meme that Sunshine is a bad game needs to die any day now.

The problem with Sunshine it that is do lack some polish. Some areas are very difficult due to camera control.

The none fludd areas are really good.

(I personally have only played Mario 64 on the DS. I rather play Sunshine but that is due to controlls that feels wrong)

EraErr0r1

it's shit because:

1. The music is shit
3. BAH BAH
4. The music is shit

Thank you for writing this so I didn't have to.

I did appreciate that there was some seriously solid platforming in U, but I just can't get past the above points.

To this day I crave a Mario 2D platformer that has the same love and care placed into its creation as Odyssey appears to have.

It can't be denied that the NSMB games were made by a lazy and cocky Nintendo (besides maybe the original DS version). They just can't hold a candle to games developed with them at their best and Super Mario World is one of them - time constraints and all.

EDIT: People trying to discredit Yoshi's Island as not being a mainline Mario game? Blasphemy! This thread is insane.

Lijik

No.

The meme that Sunshine is a bad game needs to die any day now.
or you can get over yourself and accept that people dont like a mario game you do instead of pretending every opinion you disagree with are people lying for a meme

cordy

Banned
Just beat World on my classic. Man, yeah it's at the top. I forgot how amazing this game is. If you disagree then disagree but that's my opinion. Just as great as an adult as it was as a kid.

Flying Fish

Neo Member
Sunshine was good but really needed a better way to keep track of blue coins. And the Pachinko level from hell needs to go. Game could really use a remake like SM64DS.

jadedm17

NSMBU suffers from the fact that the art and musical style had been used over and over again. It's a shame they didn't go the extra mile, because from a gameplay perspective it might actually be the best one.

Art style is something I couldn't get past even as a huge Mario and platform lover; I played maybe an hour each of New Mario and New Luigi U before selling.

Top Bottom