• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After selling out within minutes, Limited Edition PS5 Pro consoles are already listed on eBay for up to £10,000.

Draugoth

Gold Member
ps5-pro-ebay-1280x720.jpg

Screenshot-2024-09-26-114755-1024x652.jpg

At the time of publication, more than 20 consoles are listed for sale on eBay, claiming to have successfully secured pre-orders for the Pro bundle, all of which are being offered for well above the product’s RRP. Most of the listings are around £5,000 – five times the bundle’s official sale price – but some are being listed for as much as £10,000. The standard PS5 Pro, which also went up for sale today, is also being listed on eBay, but at far fewer numbers.

Sony says each 30th Anniversary PS5 Pro will have a number on it, and the console will be limited to 12,300 units globally, which is a reference to the launch date for the original PlayStation console.

Pre-orders for the 30th anniversary PlayStation 5 items, as well as the standard version PlayStation 5 Pro, are due to go live via the PlayStation Direct site in other regions, including the US, later today.

via VGC

Nankatsu

Gold Member
This is expected and surreal at the same time.

How much did the translucid PS4 Pro 500M edition scalped for?

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Legit question... how do you stop scalpers?

Let's say we can only call someone a scalper who manages to get 2+ units of the product for the sole reason of reselling, so this is not talking about the people who just get the one and decide to sell that one for more money.

So, how do they stop the scalpers, and if there is a way to do it, why hasn't it been done?

killatopak

Gold Member

Let's say we can only call someone a scalper who manages to get 2+ units of the product for the sole reason of reselling, so this is not talking about the people who just get the one and decide to sell that one for more money.

So, how do they stop the scalpers, and if there is a way to do it, why hasn't it been done?
No shipping. Walk-in buy only. Must have valid ID while claiming the item. Then you laser the serial number of the console on the forehead of the claimer.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member

1. PSN account at least a year old with actual activity of purchases/trophies

2. It hasn't been done because greed, a sale is a sale, that's all that really matters to *any* of these companies.

And everyone thought covid ending would put a stop to this nonsense.

What's actually happened is that it's kickstarted a false economy that's going to be around for a long time.
Scalpers are gonna scalp, but we're in a different economy and time from 2020-2022. The free money has stopped flowing and inflation has killed discretionary income. You'll no doubt be able to separate a few fools from 5-10k, but I doubt the scalping for this( and the regular PS5 Pro) will be anywhere near the peak of the Lockdowns.

ShakenG

Its not the first time happening and they've done jack shit to adress this known issue.

Hell,I bet some of the scalpers might be Sony's own bots trying to get that Concord investment back...
Dont mean to sound like THAT guy but what can they realistically do?
You, and i can do this at any moment if greed crosses our minds.

Mr.Phoenix

1. PSN account at least a year old with actual activity of purchases/trophies
This makes sense, funny how something so easy can be overlooked. If anything, this would give actual relevance to trophies and all that shit.
2. It hasn't been done because greed, a sale is a sale, that's all that really matters to *any* of these companies.
I don't get this, like take the PS5pro for instance, there are only like 12K units available globally. Surely, they know there are enough actual PS loyalists out there to buy that 10 times over. i don't think its too much to ask that a loyalty/rewards program be used to at least shortlist eligible buyers, then do some sort of lottery for those that actually get it.

I don't understand how these companies spend almost 2 years making something like this, and then drop the ball on something that would take all of 5 mins to implement.
The only way to beat scalpers is to not buy from them so their prices go lower and lower, but unfortunately FOMO is real so people just pay extra to not miss out.
Well, that will never happen, there are always those who have more money than sense.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I don't get this, like take the PS5pro for instance, there are only like 12K units available globally. Surely, they know there are enough actual PS loyalists out there to buy that 10 times over.

You're 100% right and to that I'd say having these crazy headlines is seen as a positive, build up even more hype, maybe sell more regular Pro's, who the fuck knows.

FeralEcho

Dont mean to sound like THAT guy but what can they realistically do?
You, and i can do this at any moment if greed crosses our minds.
I'm sure there are certain ways to limit them,I would think most scalpers won't be fans of the system since they just want to make a quick profit so make it a requirement to have a PSN account for longer than a year,or an account that's actually active with daily usage.

This would limit people that are new to the ecosystem sure but lets be honest here,people who would buy the PRO at launch are most likely already fans of the system.

Cornbread78

With only 12,000 being made available, they could easily done an application system and/or vet each console sold to existing long time customers only.

That way, once sold they could track that unit and know exactly who scalped it and take appropriate action

ShakenG

I'm sure there are certain ways to limit them,I would think most scalpers won't be fans of the system since they just want to make a quick profit so make it a requirement to have a PSN account for longer than a year,or an account that's actually active with daily usage.

This would limit people that are new to the ecosystem sure but lets be honest here,people who would buy the PRO at launch are most likely already fans of the system.
I just seen in Australia at eb, they're only giving them out to lvl5 customers. So i suppose there is a way. But im betting any person that gets it through that is still going to see dollars signs and cave into temptation. Especially when u have hungry, stupid people willing to pay it.

Im just not sure how you can effectively get it out to users that want to use it and not profit from it.

FeralEcho

I just seen in Australia at eb, they're only giving them out to lvl5 customers. So i suppose there is a way. But im betting any person that gets it through that is still going to see dollars signs and cave into temptation. Especially when u have hungry, stupid people willing to pay it.

Im just not sure how you can effectively get it out to users that want to use it and not profit from it.
True,in the end it's all about the amount of restraint one has as a human to the impulse of greed in such a case. But as a huge company I just feel Sony could've done much better for their fanbase that's all.

GHG

Scalpers are gonna scalp, but we're in a different economy and time from 2020-2022. The free money has stopped flowing and inflation has killed discretionary income. You'll no doubt be able to separate a few fools from 5-10k, but I doubt the scalping for this( and the regular PS5 Pro) will be anywhere near the peak of the Lockdowns.

What I mean is the mentality it has created, it's birthed a world full of speculators on a scale never seen before.

The value of items is no longer based on their utility, it's now based on what people think they will be able to sell it on for. Regular items are not being purchased to be used, they are being purchased in the hope that they can be sold on for a profit. This mentality has become entrenched, and we are even seeing transactions take place between speculators because of this.

Top Bottom