• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After selling out within minutes, Limited Edition PS5 Pro consoles are already listed on eBay for up to £10,000.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Do they not realise they can wait a few years and list their scalp for even more on eBay.

what stupid people.
I think there's a time at the beginning where FOMO is high and people will pay a lot more right now than they will after they've had some time to think about it. The prices will increase over time for new in box units, but today is probably a good time to try to flip.

calistan

I don't get this, like take the PS5pro for instance, there are only like 12K units available globally. Surely, they know there are enough actual PS loyalists out there to buy that 10 times over. i don't think its too much to ask that a loyalty/rewards program be used to at least shortlist eligible buyers, then do some sort of lottery for those that actually get it.
It totally served its purpose. At first people were complaining about the price of the Pro. Then they show off this super expensive limited version, and people go crazy for it, to the point where the Pro seems like an okay deal.

Similar to the original gold Apple Watch, which was most likely a limited edition of zero.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Anyone paying that sort of silly money really needs to reassess their priorities in life.
Beyond fucking stupid.
It’s ironic that people where questioning who will buy this now the Sony website is a 60 min wait in queue, it’s desperate buying and won’t change with the PS6.

Doggyred

Neo Member
Legit question... how do you stop scalpers?

Let's say we can only call someone a scalper who manages to get 2+ units of the product for the sole reason of reselling, so this is not talking about the people who just get the one and decide to sell that one for more money.

So, how do they stop the scalpers, and if there is a way to do it, why hasn't it been done?
Do what steams does with the steam deck and only allow people with accounts open longer than a certain amount of months and that have spent a certain amount of money.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
oh no, but GaF told me no one was going to buy em!!! /s

(also seem to tell us that COD and AC will fail every release yet seem to disappear when them records are broken)

Last edited:

dorkimoe

oh no, but GaF told me no one was going to buy em!!! /s

(also seem to tell us that COD and AC will fail every release yet seem to disappear when them records are broken)
no...we all knew the sony loyalty is strong on this forum

saintjules

Gold Member
Listed, it's listed not sold.

Which I believe can be reported. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's a clause somewhere with Ebay to where a seller can't sell something they don't have yet in their possession. It's not until afterwards that they can?

Aenima

Expected. I think it would be much better to give away these very limited consoles as a part of a prize from a playstation contest hosted by Sony, than just release them in to the wild for scalpers to make money out of them.

What's wrong with you? Don't judge people for how they spend their money. People have spend way more changing their premium phones every 2 years and other hobbies
Oh I will judge and judge hard
You know there are people out there where 10,000 dollars to them is like 10 dollars to you.
Just because people have more money doesn't make it any less of an irresponsible purchase.

RSLAEV

There's nothing any company can do about scalpers. We just live in a global low trust society where everyone is in it for themselves and no one gives any consideration to the needs or feelings of their fellow man because why should you? You'll never meet them or suffer any consequences for your selfish behavior.

Hohenheim

Anyone paying that sort of silly money really needs to reassess their priorities in life.
Beyond fucking stupid.
But according to some folks here this is fine, because 10 000 dollars is the same for some as 10 dollars are to others. So yeah, it's a perfectly normal price as long as you have lots of money. Makes so much sense😅

Shaki12345

Neo Member
So Sony doesn't give a flying fuck who buys their console, as long as it's a sale for them. That should tell you everything you should know about this company.

I have the money for it and I'm interested in the "product", but it goes against my principles to buy from a company who doesn't respect me as a customer.

That should be rule nr. 1 when doing business. Respect your customer. A while ago I wanted a refund for a game that has a bad framerate. They wanted evidence. I recorded the evidence. Then they said they don't see the issue, while the video in question shows a horrible framerate. Fuck Sony. They lost my trust, respect and money.

Last edited:
But according to some folks here this is fine, because 10 000 dollars is the same for some as 10 dollars are to others. So yeah, it's a perfectly normal price as long as you have lots of money. Makes so much sense😅
My original point was in response to you saying it was "retarded". I find that funny because if someone can piss away $10,000 like it was a pleb's $10 I highly doubt they are retarded. There is a good chance they have done something in the non-retard realm to amass their wealth. I'd side with the $10 crybaby being an actual retard.

LMJ

I understand scalpers are scum, and the mods they use to basically pull this shit off are definitely sleazy.

Was there a limit to how many people could buy?

Because from what I understood this basically just slapped you in a queue and then you were randomly hoping to get a console...

If you could buy like 10 of them then yes, Sony should be condemned for this...however if you can only buy one then I don't see how Sony is at fault in the least...

how could Sony know who's a scalper and who isn't?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I think there's a time at the beginning where FOMO is high and people will pay a lot more right now than they will after they've had some time to think about it. The prices will increase over time for new in box units, but today is probably a good time to try to flip.
Not to mention people are going to buy at scalper prices now and hope they can in return get an even higher price in 5+ years.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You do realize to many people here even $10k dollars doesn't even rate on the 0-10 scale on should I even bring this up to my significant other right?

I know a few here that wont blink an eye at dropping $10k on a LE model if they decide they want one

Bombolone

Gold Member
I'll never understand why companies won't just simply make more of a product when the demand is there. They could have easily sold 3x the amount of these direct to consumers.
This.
I get the idea of exclusivity.
Cars for example.
It’s an entertainment box where customers are like you and me.
Oh the horror. Every PlayStation fan that loves the brand and that has helped it grow has our grey “limited edition” game box.
In a decade, in the books of gaming history this box doesn’t fucking matter (to the business of Sony)

Hunter 99

Strange people out there..if your willing to spend 4 or 5 times the amount the console is worth just for a limited edition that you probably won't even use then its just dead money. Even if you do use it then it will essentially become worthless being digital.

I dont think there will be any nostalgia for ps5 in 20 years.everything on it will be playable on something else or licenses expired.

Quantum253

Gold Member
Same old crap as every other anniversary edition. Sells out in minutes, then show up on Ebay. How many people get screwed on that site with shipping a product then the buyer can say they ever received it and get their money back

R6Rider

Gold Member
Strange people out there..if your willing to spend 4 or 5 times the amount the console is worth just for a limited edition that you probably won't even use then its just dead money. Even if you do use it then it will essentially become worthless being digital.

I dont think there will be any nostalgia for ps5 in 20 years.everything on it will be playable on something else or licenses expired.
These limited edition console are going to be worth a lot in the future not because they are are and can play games on them, but for the sole fact that it's a rare official PlayStation item.

Hohenheim

My original point was in response to you saying it was "retarded". I find that funny because if someone can piss away $10,000 like it was a pleb's $10 I highly doubt they are retarded. There is a good chance they have done something in the non-retard realm to amass their wealth. I'd side with the $10 crybaby being an actual retard.
Yeah, I'm sorry if I offended you with the term "retard".
What I meant is that the price was pretty crazy. And I think most people who can piss away 10 000 dollars like it's 10 bucks are usually pretty good with their money, and not the ones doing a deal like this on a regular basis. This also helps the whole filthy scalping business, which is bad for regular people who wants these consoles.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Can we get a PS2 themed PS5 or something? it's kind of lame when every anniversary Playstation is just the same grey PS1 theme over, especially when the console is already white

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
These limited edition console are going to be worth a lot in the future not because they are are and can play games on them, but for the sole fact that it's a rare official PlayStation item.
People that are paying those prices for LE consoles are buying them for their number, not the color

The color can be changed by generic plates from Amazon

Yeah, I'm sorry if I offended you with the term "retard".
What I meant is that the price was pretty crazy. And I think most people who can piss away 10 000 dollars like it's 10 bucks are usually pretty good with their money, and not the ones doing a deal like this on a regular basis. This also helps the whole filthy scalping business, which is bad for regular people who wants these consoles.
I wasn't offended, I love retards.

cireza

Not for 10k, but check ebay sold listings:
ok4Unfa.jpeg
Bought by scalpers to sell it at a higher price. Don't fall for such obvious market manipulations. These people are stealing money from each others, and the losers are the ones that fail to catch the curve at the right moment, and end up with consoles they have to sell for less then they paid for.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Which I believe can be reported. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's a clause somewhere with Ebay to where a seller can't sell something they don't have yet in their possession. It's not until afterwards that they can?
its rarely enforced

Hunter 99

Maybe so and I see your point it being a rare official ps item but name me one console that has been released in console history with 12000 units or similar that's worth more than £5000 today's money?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I mean, if you buy something for 1K and people are willing to pay you for 5K for it, I don't blame anyone for selling. Blame the people paying 5K for this if you want to be mad at someone.

decisions

Sony is really so stupid for selling something so limited like this. The site is linked to your PSN ID. How about this -- to buy from the 30th anniversary collection your account has to be at least be as old as the PS5.

plip.plop

What do you think the ratio is to these sales numbers? Scalpers to Gamers
Kudos to Sony for making a desirable product but shame on them for not putting in measures so that fans can obtain one.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Sony is really so stupid for selling something so limited like this. The site is linked to your PSN ID. How about this -- to buy from the 30th anniversary collection your account has to be at least be as old as the PS5.
Or the higher your trophy level, the closer you are to the front of the line. Would be worth it just for the meltdowns.

Top Bottom