• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After selling out within minutes, Limited Edition PS5 Pro consoles are already listed on eBay for up to £10,000.

Kerotan

I looked at sold items and a lot of pro pre orders are going for 3-6k and slims going for over 1k. Madness to know I could pay off over a year of mortgage if I sold this thing.

BUT I'M NOT FUCKING SELLING!
5GUcFOI.jpeg

Lambogenie

Unsurprising.

PS4 still goes for around 1k itself. The only advantage here is that it is PS4 compatible. Other than that, meh, the PS4 console edition one is miles better.

Sometimes I think these sellers don't even have the product they're selling. They just put out the 10K price tag to get clicks and attention. They know they won't get an actual sale so they don't need to actually have a PS5 Pro.

And, of course, it works...

Or the higher your trophy level, the closer you are to the front of the line.
Sadly, this means they'd only go to the players who get like 20 International copies of "Bluey's Adventures" because they can get a Plat in the game in under 15 minutes. These are sad, sad people.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Bought by scalpers to sell it at a higher price. Don't fall for such obvious market manipulations. These people are stealing money from each others, and the losers are the ones that fail to catch the curve at the right moment, and end up with consoles they have to sell for less then they paid for.
The people who buy these on ebay aren't busting their piggy banks open. They are rich enough to pay other people to waste their time and they're buying the convenience. If you're maxing out your cc on this you're an idiot

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I looked at sold items and a lot of pro pre orders are going for 3-6k and slims going for over 1k. Madness to know I could pay off over a year of mortgage if I sold this thing.

5GUcFOI.jpeg
If you get a single digit unit

Lets Make A Deal Dance GIF by CBS

The people who buy these on ebay aren't busting their piggy banks open. They are rich enough to pay other people to waste their time and they're buying the convenience. If you're maxing out your cc on this you're an idiot

The people complaining about others spending that kind of money on a console have a hard time grasping the idea how little money that actually is to those people

Chatting in Discord I already know 2 people going to pay those prices simply because they make multiple millions of dollars per year, this is pocket change

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

5GUcFOI.jpeg
It's gray dude. Sell it lol. PS6 will be out in a couple years. It's just honestly not even worth it if the whales are this crazy. Might as well just start harpooning. There's no logical way it's worth it to even keep it and use it.

Kerotan

If you get a single digit unit

Lets Make A Deal Dance GIF by CBS
It's going to be so cool opening it. They've basically sold 12,300 lottery tickets where a few lucky punters win big.

Top 10 obviously holds value but what about other numbers.

Top 50 or 100?

The actual number 50, 100, 250, 500, 1k, 2k etc etc.

If I got a really good number I'd still play it until the PS6 launched and then sell it. Or if it was worth like 20k then I'd keep it in pristine condition and buy another pro to play.

FrankWza

The people complaining about others spending that kind of money on a console have a hard time grasping the idea how little money that actually is to those people

Chatting in Discord I already know 2 people going to pay those prices simply because they make multiple millions of dollars per year, this is pocket change
Rich enough not to waste time is a thing. Time >money

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's going to be so cool opening it. They've basically sold 12,300 lottery tickets where a few lucky punters win big.

Top 10 obviously holds value but what about other numbers.

Top 50 or 100?

The actual number 50, 100, 250, 500, 1k, 2k etc etc.

If I got a really good number I'd still play it until the PS6 launched and then sell it. Or if it was worth like 20k then I'd keep it in pristine condition and buy another pro to play.
I know I am a part of the problem because I will eventually buy one of these from someone :)

Rich enough not to waste time is a thing. Time >money
Or just wealthy enough to not care what they spend on hobbies even if they tried putting in the time to snag one and didn't get lucky enough :)

FrankWza

I know I am a part of the problem because I will eventually buy one of these from someone :)

Or just wealthy enough to not care what they spend on hobbies even if they tried putting in the time to snag one and didn't get lucky enough :)
Each time I have bought a launch console in store I have gone to pick it up that morning so it doesn't get sold from under me. there's always a few people who will pull up and offer someone on line well over ebay price for their console. It happens

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Each time I have bought a launch console in store I have gone to pick it up that morning so it doesn't get sold from under me. there's always a few people who will pull up and offer someone on line well over ebay price for their console. It happens
I dont blame you at all

I was walking out of a WalMart once with a Wii very early on in its life and had a guy try to buy it from me

Its not the first time happening and they've done jack shit to adress this known issue.

Hell,I bet some of the scalpers might be Sony's own bots trying to get that Concord investment back...
When Switch 2 comes out and iit's out of stock bc of scalpers, then it will also be Nintendo's fault.

FrankWza

cireza cireza i wasn't calling you an idiot. Just Someone who would max out their cards on ebay for this. Not sure if that came across that way since you left a triggered emoji

Brother, Im with you there but dang $4000 def out of my price range. Regretting purchasing new shoes for my car earlier this year now :messenger_loudly_crying:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
What a shocking revelation! Who could have possibly predicted this outcome when they made so many! Surely there are still plenty available at retail price?
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

Traxtech

As someone who is keeping theirs, I just got offered a stupid amount of money for it. 🤦 Won't lie, it's pretty tempting but I think nostalgia wins this fight

n0razi

Legit question... how do you stop scalpers?

Let's say we can only call someone a scalper who manages to get 2+ units of the product for the sole reason of reselling, so this is not talking about the people who just get the one and decide to sell that one for more money.

So, how do they stop the scalpers, and if there is a way to do it, why hasn't it been done?

More regulation... the problem is that more regulation can lead to corruption, so you need a balance.

RCU005

By the way Sony are acting nowadays, it wouldn't surprise me if they themselves are the scalpers.

Also, they are unbelievably petty. They have 100+ million PS4 customers, 60+ million PS5 customers, and they only make TWELVE THOUSAND of these consoles! That's 0.000205% of your PS5 fanbase! This is ridiculous!

The Spider-Man console was not available outside pre-orders.
The Spider-Man DualSense was also nowhere available after pre-orders.
The Spider-Man Covers the same thing.
ASTRO BOT Dualsense hasn't been available since the first day it launched!

Fuck Sony and PlayStation!

And people complained that Nintendo released the 3D Mario Collection as limited edition. At least that was a game that many people could find and buy even after the discontinued date.

Last edited:

DrFigs

Yeah I don't get why they only made 12,000. they could've made 100,000 and it still would've sold out.

I don't understand how they benefit from only making 12k

Last edited:

phant0m

Legit question... how do you stop scalpers?

Let's say we can only call someone a scalper who manages to get 2+ units of the product for the sole reason of reselling, so this is not talking about the people who just get the one and decide to sell that one for more money.

So, how do they stop the scalpers, and if there is a way to do it, why hasn't it been done?

Only offer sales to PSN accounts, active in the last year with at least 100 trophies.
Some will take the offer just to resell but at least you won't get too many career scalpers.

Yeah I don't get why they only made 12,000. they could've made 100,000 and it still would've sold out.

Should've at least made 30k for the 30th anniversary.

Last edited:

DoomGyver

Sony really missed the mark. All PS5 Pros for holiday 2024 should be the anniversary edition. It’s free money.

FunkMiller

Publicity. Pure and simple. The rarer a product is, the more it gets talked about. Once you understand that limited editions like this are not for fans, but for marketing purposes and shareholders, then you get why they exist.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Publicity. Pure and simple. The rarer a product is, the more it gets talked about. Once you understand that limited editions like this are not for fans, but for marketing purposes and shareholders, then you get why they exist.

Is this similar to what people called “artificial scarcity” back in the days when Nintendo Switch first launch?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Especially when you number each of the things. That's the sort of thing that drives the value up greatly years after the fact.

Is this similar to what people called “artificial scarcity” back in the days when Nintendo Switch first launch?

Nah....that's just warrior rhetoric being used when someone doesn't like that a product is doing well.

Top Bottom