• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After selling out within minutes, Limited Edition PS5 Pro consoles are already listed on eBay for up to £10,000.

reinking

Gold Member
Why would you ever buy a console for 5k lol. You can buy the best gaming PC you've ever owned with that kind of money that will outperform that piece of shit 10x.
Why do some people always assume that console buyers/players do not also have a PC? Or, that some people just don't like gaming on a PC? It's a hobby. Most people that participate are doing so with disposable income. Some people have more of that than others. 🤷‍♂️

BlackTron

Why would you ever buy a console for 5k lol. You can buy the best gaming PC you've ever owned with that kind of money that will outperform that piece of shit 10x.

There is no way I would buy this for any price and actually use it as a game console. The console is $700 the grey finish is 8k. For my own use I'd sooner paint my own.

Legit question... how do you stop scalpers?

Let's say we can only call someone a scalper who manages to get 2+ units of the product for the sole reason of reselling, so this is not talking about the people who just get the one and decide to sell that one for more money.

So, how do they stop the scalpers, and if there is a way to do it, why hasn't it been done?
Easy, not going like crazy to preorder minute 1 stuff you actually dont need, like it was something you cant actually live without. If no demand, no offer. But i can assure there will be fucking idiots buying the Ebay 10k ones, because nowadays stupid people are willing to do anything literally for that Instagram post/story with the gadget/experience "in vogue". It will be nice if people at least wont buy the scalpers...But its happening exactly as we all imagine.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
These companies have got to get their shit together and reward their loyal supporters with first dibs on their upcoming products. This isn't just directed at Sony either, as MS, Nintendo, and a plethora of other companies could use their hardware releases as an opportunity to gain even more rapport with their customer base.

What I mean is the mentality it has created, it's birthed a world full of speculators on a scale never seen before.

The value of items is no longer based on their utility, it's now based on what people think they will be able to sell it on for. Regular items are not being purchased to be used, they are being purchased in the hope that they can be sold on for a profit. This mentality has become entrenched, and we are even seeing transactions take place between speculators because of this.
I got you. It's also an effect of the economy we've created with side hustle culture. Lapping up a few video game systems to flip for a buck is relatively easy work compared to going out and earning money the traditional employment route. It's just another negative effect of modern tech.

Reactions: GHG
Sony is such a piece of shit for this.
Please enlighten me how Sony could stop this. They sold it on their official store only. A store where you need to have a PSN account. As far as i know you could only buy one unit.

Maybe simply A LOT of people that bought one always intended to sell it for profit? You simply can't stop this from happening. It happens with literally EVERY SINGLE RELEASE out there.

I had one in my cart and lost it. Fuck them scalpers
Same here...my cart even had an error and wasn't showing. Turns out it had no stock anymore :(

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Scalpers are like
Season 5 Nickelodeon GIF

sainraja

Please enlighten me how Sony could stop this. They sold it on their official store only. A store where you need to have a PSN account. As far as i know you could only buy one unit.

Maybe simply A LOT of people that bought one always intended to sell it for profit? You simply can't stop this from happening. It happens with literally EVERY SINGLE RELEASE out there.

Same here...my cart even had an error and wasn't showing. Turns out it had no stock anymore :(
They went on sale already?
I got the message saying: "you're early" and pre-orders begin at 10 am EST (other timezones were listed also).

Hohenheim

Scalpers doing their thing, as usual.
But you have to be fully retarded to pay 10 000 dollars for this. Like.. really, really next level retarded.

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
The only fair way to sell these items is by pure lottery. One entry per verified psn id. Any kind of first come first serve system will only enable bots and scalpers.

Audiophile

As I mentioned before, they should've had a non-numbered 30th Anniversary Special Edition with no extras that's on the market for 6-12mths and then the numbered 30th Anniversary Limited Edition with extras and perhaps another embellishment or two that is limited to 12,300.

Alternatively a good middleground might've been 123,000 or even 1.23m with only the first 12,300 or 123,000 being numbered and/or with extras. They still would've sold, they probably would've netted them more profit on markups and more folks would get a chance.

Most folks don't care how something like this is limited or not, they just want a cool looking console.

Just 12,300 outright is a dick move for a relatively mainstream consumer device.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Scalpers doing their thing, as usual.
But you have to be fully retarded to pay 10 000 dollars for this. Like.. really, really next level retarded.

What's wrong with you? Don't judge people for how they spend their money. People have spend way more changing their premium phones every 2 years and other hobbies

Porcile

The reality is that 10k isn't a lot of money for some people and that's why scalping works. There will be more than enough demand among people this product is targeted towards, especially people in tech and IT who have money to burn and absolutely fiend for nostalgia like a hooker addicted to fentanyl. This kind of product just isn't intended for the every day schmo or kid saving their pocket money anymore and the scalpers know that and Sony knows that too.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Legit question... how do you stop scalpers?

Let's say we can only call someone a scalper who manages to get 2+ units of the product for the sole reason of reselling, so this is not talking about the people who just get the one and decide to sell that one for more money.

So, how do they stop the scalpers, and if there is a way to do it, why hasn't it been done?
They have engagement numbers. Sell it to people based on the age and usage of their account. Target emails of accounts of the people that will actually use it first.

Kupfer

2. It hasn't been done because greed, a sale is a sale, that's all that really matters to *any* of these companies.
Gaben did a good job in my opinion.

Got a Deck on day 1 without much hassle, and everything throughout the process was communicated well.

Unlike fucking Sony, who can't even manage to provide clear, official, and transparent timing. If that's supposed to be their anti-scalper tactic, Sony can go fuck themselves with a cactus - though they probably already can. Sony has turned into a steaming pile of shit.
House Party Dancing GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
The internet: "This price is ridiculous!"

Reality: Sold out in seconds lol

tbf this doesn't tell you much about long term overall demand. Almost every console launch generally sells out because there are probably several million people who would buy it on day one.

But does it sell as well as PS4 Pro?....that remains to be seen imo.

Synastry

Bad mouthing Sony and PlayStation seems to be the theme lately have you not noticed.

And I agree with you if Sony as a 1 unit per how would Sony stop a person from selling there unit when they get it.

Bernardougf

I bought a 3080 for less than half that price
Im leaning towards this .... because if I buy this right now and than the ps6 in 4 years... thats about 14.000 reais or 2.500 dollars... with this money I can build a very good pc that will last me a long time and be better than the ps5 pro and probably the ps6

Last edited:

Doczu

Oh well. It's partialy Sony's fault for making it a collectors item instead of just releasing it in that color together with the white one.

Bombolone

Gold Member
You would have to be a collector at that point.
$5000 for a mid experience. How do you show off your Pro to friends then when asked how much? They look at you like an idiot for spending $5000 on a mid experience.
Or hardcore fanboys who care about a $5000 box.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Let it be said. If you pay that price for one of those consoles, to use as a console you're a fucking idiot.
Fixed that for you. This is a collectors item. With 12000 out in the wild and likely being preserved it's probably never gonna be worth millions, but it will in all likelihood increase in value.

Top Bottom