• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

guek

Banned
As entertaining as the show has been, it does feel like they're treading water a bit, plot wise.

Feels weird that we now have 3 members of the secret warriors with such little fanfare.

Isn't much of ABC kind of stuck in the 90s and early 2000s, at least when it comes to Disney controlled properties? Right down to their voice over guy...

Pachimari

Man I'm sorry, but this season has been pretty weak so far. Some uninteresting plots and it's all over the place. Gotham has grown immensely, The Flash is back in form, Arrow has improved a lot over S3, so I hope the Marvel guys and ABC can pull something out from what they have build up so far this season.

At this point, I don't care much for the effects looking cheap. I just want interesting plot developments.

And I really wish they wouldn't focus so much on relationships. I don't care about Will, I don't care about Lincoln/Skye, and I certainly don't give a damn about Melinda May and Andrew. Only Rosalind seems interesting.

Feels weird that we now have 3 members of the secret warriors with such little fanfare.
Who are those 3 guys? Skye, Lincoln and Joey? What about Mack? He seems to always be following Skye and interviewing Inhumans.

Both Flash and AoS saved someone from falling. Bothe have their own Guantanamos. Waiting to see Zoom come out of the portal now.

Gotham as well.

ZeroCDR

I love electric powers (Infamous is the best), but gosh is Lincoln a huge chump. Those effects aren't helping either.

Let's see more of this:
7457398_4_l.jpg

Less of this:
latest

jph139

I hope they bring back Blizzard and give him a slot on the team - then they can have a nice elemental quartet. Quake for Earth, Joey for Fire, Blizzard for Water, and Lincoln for Air (because eh, close enough). Mack for Heart?

I just hope that the Secret Warriors aren't 100% Inhuman. Even if they have to squeeze in Deathlok.

Frog-fu

Banned
I love Ward haters. Such delicious salt.

Also, I agree Lincoln = lame. I'd rather they add a different Inhuman or two. Preferably another black or latino/hispanic and one that sides with Ward. Hydra would be a much bigger threat if they diversified and got some super powered assets.

VAD

I'm disappointed Lash was
just a lone killer and not part of another Inhuman group
. May and Andrew actors were very good. Them and Fitz (still lost in the Fitzzone, sadly) never fail to remind me I'm not watching another cheap scifi show.
Rosalind
banging
Coulson (robot hand put to good use?) and being in bed (figuratively) with
Mr Hydra,or whatever he is called
was not surprising but still exciting. Not even terrible cgi and Lash makeup can make me dislike this show now.

yeah Ward even in his five seconds of screen time was annoying. kill him off ASAP

He's definitely outlived his usefulness to the show.

Note to AoS writers:

stop trying to make Lincoln happen

His superpower is blandness.

The show's starting to lose me again. The pace may have been amped up, with reveals coming left and right, but I really don't care about anything that's going on. The CW style of breakneck pacing reigns supreme.

Another weird bit - why was Coulson's robotic hand what enabled him to hold up against Lash? Isn't the shoulder and forearm more important there? A robotic hand alone doesn't exactly grant him greater leverage.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Another weird bit - why was Coulson's robotic hand what enabled him to hold up against Lash? Isn't the shoulder and forearm more important there? A robotic hand alone doesn't exactly grant him greater leverage.

The whole robotic arm = super strenght thing is basically a scifi trope. Don't think too much about it.

One of the things I enjoyed about Shirow's Appleseed (the manga, not the garbage-tier movies) is that he made very clear that a cyborg trying to lift a car with the help of a robotic arm would only result in him tearing the fuck out of his shoulder.

kirblar

The whole robotic arm = super strenght thing is basically a scifi trope. Don't think too much about it.

One of the things I enjoyed about Shirow's Appleseed (the manga, not the garbage-tier movies) is that he made very clear that a cyborg trying to lift a car with the help of a robotic arm would only result in him tearing the fuck out of his shoulder.
Also happened on Archer.

Johndoey

Banned
If Lincoln had the arcing cool lightning instead of this beam nonsense his power would be way cooler. Also what exactly is Lash's motivation h mention determine who's good or not but what criteria us he using.

It's also weird that Daisy's powers materialize as a visible beam now; none of her power use in S2 had any visible effect on the air and it was powerful enough to literally move mountains that were probably miles away. It's clear they had to do something to visualize the effect, but it should have been localized on the target and not something you could follow all the way back to her.

I could keep going at this today...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Assuming that Gideon Malick is tied to the group that sent Daniels to the other planet, with Rosalind being in cahoots with him it seems like all the plot threads might converge for the second half of the season.

Promo video for next week's episode.

Looks very promising.
Nice. Bracing myself for a mid-season cliffhanger though.

Unrelated:

CTES_01XAAEkFjP.jpg

lol

Quick

Banned
It's also weird that Daisy's powers materialize as a visible beam now; none of her power use in S2 had any visible effect on the air and it was powerful enough to literally move mountains that were probably miles away. It's clear they had to do something to visualize the effect, but it should have been localized on the target and not something you could follow all the way back to her.

I could keep going at this today...

They've shown visible effects for it in season 2. Less elaborate, though.

quake-power.gif

tumblr_nm3xi3OkMp1qllhdno1_500.gif

Khaz

Andrew was quite buff for a Psychology professor in his 50s. I guess the hours playing squash with his colleagues worked out.

Slacka

Anyone else wonder why there was a cuddled up couple selfie on Simmons' phone?

Her relationship with Astronaut Mike Dexter only started after the the phone battery had been totally depleted by the computer to calculate the position of that portal they tried getting a message through, and she only accepted the idea of a relationship after they failed to achieve that.

Her relationship with Astronaut Mike Dexter only started after the the phone battery had been totally depleted by the computer to calculate the position of that portal they tried getting a message through, and she only accepted the idea of a relationship after they failed to achieve that.

The selfie was powered by the combined strength of their hearts

Quick

Banned

They probably just cuddled up like that to get in the photo properly. It's really nitpicking.

Slacka

They probably just cuddled up like that to get in the photo properly. It's really nitpicking.

Not really nitpicking, more just a case of noticing a jarring continuity error I guess. The plot point this week was all about Fitz seeing and reacting to a picture of them together, and for him to see the symbol, I doubt there was anything more to it than that.

With people picking so many holes in this weeks episode, I just though I would mention it, as for me things like this stand out way more than dodgy special effects (which don't particularly bother me if the story is good).

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or does anyone else kinda fanboy out when Daisy and Bobbi are in their combat gear? They look so good and it just really hammers home the "superhero" suit with the still refined cohesion of a SHIELD outfit. I just wish they would call Bobbi, "Mockingbird" more. They've said it like once in 2 seasons. Also can't wait for Daisy to get her real code name.

Mack - "Hey Tremors, you ready to do this?"
Daisy - "Ya know, I'm not really feeling the whole "Tremors" thing. Romanov and Bobbi get cool code names, why don't I?"
Mack - "Well, pick one."

Enemies charge at them and open fire

Daisy unleashes her power and knocks them all back, collapsing some of the building structures around them.

Daisy - "How about Quake?"

Yeah, Lincoln is not great, it's a real shame.
Also why the hell would Coulson take him on so quickly given his propensity for not following orders? Although I suppose that's a Shield field agent speciality.

Hopefully they can salvage the character? I have my doubts.

And man, poor May never gets a break.
Fitz watching what amounts to love letters from his ex before she fell in love with another guy is.. ooof.

jmood88

Is it just me or does anyone else kinda fanboy out when Daisy and Bobbi are in their combat gear? They look so good and it just really hammers home the "superhero" suit with the still refined cohesion of a SHIELD outfit. I just wish they would call Bobbi, "Mockingbird" more. They've said it like once in 2 seasons. Also can't wait for Daisy to get her real code name.

Mack - "Hey Tremors, you ready to do this?"
Daisy - "Ya know, I'm not really feeling the whole "Tremors" thing. Romanov and Bobbi get cool code names, why don't I?"
Mack - "Well, pick one."

Enemies charge at them and open fire

Daisy unleashes her power and knocks them all back, collapsing some of the building structures around them.

Daisy - "How about Quake?"
Nah, it's not a big deal to me.

Quick

Banned
Nah, it's not a big deal to me.

Daisy and Mack are infiltrating a HYDRA compound. Daisy's heavy frame was causing some noise.

Mack: "Easy, porkins, you're causing an earth...Quake."

Mack stops calling her Tremors, and starts calling her Quake from that point forward.

zugzug

I just wish we had brought the character that Lincoln played on The Tomorrow people over instead of this Lincoln character.

jb1234

I'd like Lincoln more if they weren't obviously setting him up for a relationship with Daisy. That's going to be a gigantic snooze.

(Joey is a far more interesting character, despite having a fraction of the screen time. They should put him in the main cast instead...)

jmood88

Daisy and Mack are infiltrating a HYDRA compound. Daisy's heavy frame was causing some noise.

Mack stops calling her Tremors, and starts calling her Quake from that point forward.
This is amazing. I'm changing my answer and I now care about them using the comicbook names.

He's definitely outlived his usefulness to the show.

His superpower is blandness.

The show's starting to lose me again. The pace may have been amped up, with reveals coming left and right, but I really don't care about anything that's going on. The CW style of breakneck pacing reigns supreme.

What CW shows are you talking about? Villains that last all season? How long were we on that
Sarah
tip?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

I knew you'd be the one to spin gold with that scenario.

I'd like Lincoln more if they weren't obviously setting him up for a relationship with Daisy. That's going to be a gigantic snooze.

(Joey is a far more interesting character, despite having a fraction of the screen time. They should put him in the main cast instead...)
I don't even mind Lincoln really, they just need to do something with him. When he was first talking to Mack I was finally starting to hope they were gonna go somewhere with that, but then we went back to his brooding nonsense. (Confronting Lash directly was stupid.)

Joey is great. He has immediate screen presence and definitely needs to be utilized more.

If Lincoln had the arcing cool lightning instead of this beam nonsense his power would be way cooler. Also what exactly is Lash's motivation h mention determine who's good or not but what criteria us he using.

So, in the comics Lash was an Inhuman who was from the city of Orollan, which was basically full of and run by religious zealots (another Inhuman, Reader, was from there. Needless to say, he left on bad terms). The city was annihilated during an invasion by Thanos. After a Terrigen Bomb detonated, which forcibly mutated all the world's potential Inhumans, Lash started going around grabbing any he deemed worthy and killing the rest. "Worthy" in this sense meaning those he sensed as strong. How he did this, I dunno.

Now, in a show once called Birds of Prey (a terrible show based on the DC property of the same name), there was an episode where a metahuman would receive headaches around other metahumans. He could also mimic their powers when he got near them. Basically, he would get close and kill metahumans with his own abilities, with his end goal being that he would no longer be in pain.

Long story short (I have a very roundabout way of coming to my conclusions), my guess is that Andrew's mutation is causing him, somehow, to detect and instinctually hunt Inhumans. He's basically an Inhuman bred for hunting Inhumans, and I assume he's somehow justifying (with his "rational" side) this as "only killing the bad ones." I also wouldn't be surprised if Jiaying had some of these genealogy books with listings of "potential" Inhuman abilities and outcomes, meaning that Andrew could only be killing the ones that he thinks are threats.

My guess, anyways. Based on the fact that the show seems to be adapting the first arc from Inhuman.

Top Bottom