• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't even mind Lincoln really, they just need to do something with him. When he was first talking to Mack I was finally starting to hope they were gonna go somewhere with that, but then we went back to his brooding nonsense. (Confronting Lash directly was stupid.)

Joey is great. He has immediate screen presence and definitely needs to be utilized more.

Joey is weird. He has some immediate charm, but he doesn't seem to be doing anything else besides, well, being there.

Johndoey

Banned
Andrew is a fish oil inhuman? Fuck this show.

Don't bother with Lash if you're just going to butcher him with your fuckery.

He's a book powder Inhuman breh get right totes different.
jk

Joey is weird. He has some immediate charm, but he doesn't seem to be doing anything else besides, well, being there.

I mean this like only his third or four real appearance right? Plus his power seems expensive to portray or at least more expensive than Lincoln's early Dbz bullshit.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's a TV show. Who cares if some of the special effects are bad?

Because "it's a TV show" no longer cuts it in this age.

We are no longer in the 90's. We've been living the golden era of TV for well over a decade now. People have expectations. Any potato-tier procedural has better production values than AoS and it's kind of annoying.

I wouldn't blame the character for that though. They've mainly been using him as a plot devise to establish certain aspects of the narrative (he's only been in two episodes) and yet his personality still shines through.

They just need to let him do stuff now.

He's a book powder Inhuman breh get right totes different.
jk

Ah. Now I see.

Fish oil or book powder the difference is minimal (IMHO).

He's not remotely what Lash is in the comics. I mean the guy got hurt by blasts of energy for crying out loud. This is a guy who can channel energy and redirect it... at least in the comics. So, Lincoln would have been the worst person to send after him.

Koriandrr

We are no longer in the 90's. We've been living the golden era of TV for well over a decade now. People have expectations. Any potato-tier procedural has better production values than AoS and it's kind of annoying.

So much this.

You know, I used to think I don't care about how they look like, but after the last few Flash episodes I was like... holy shit this looks so much worse than any of the other TV shows and it's BOTHERING ME. We've become spoiled.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Ah. Now I see.

Fish oil or book powder the difference is minimal (IMHO).

He's not remotely what Lash is in the comics. I mean the guy got hurt by blasts of energy for crying out loud. This is a guy who can channel energy and redirect it... at least in the comics. So, Lincoln would have been the worst person to send after him.

They've already established that Inhumans don't instantly turn, there's a tranformation period, and then there's the matter of learning their powers. Joey leanrt to control his powers to he can create instead of just destroy. Daisy learns she can create shockwaves to catch people (probably after watching The Flash, but w/e). Lash in the show isn't the comics Lash (yet).

They've already established that Inhumans don't instantly turn, there's a tranformation period, and then there's the matter of learning their powers. Joey leanrt to control his powers to he can create instead of just destroy. Daisy learns she can create shockwaves to catch people (probably after watching The Flash, but w/e). Lash in the show isn't the comics Lash (yet).

He will never be by virtue that he is a new inhuman. A... nuHuman (to borrow the term from the comics) if you will. That instantly makes him not like comic book Lash.

In the comics he comes from an ancient city where terrigenesis (as a ritualised, almost religious process) was only performed on rare individuals. So naturally he takes it upon himself to uphold what he knows and eliminates the unworthy inhumans. In the show they were lazy and wrote that aspect of him as some kind of instinct.

I don't know where this show is going anymore and I'm not entirely sure I care all that much. Season 2 was good, this one? Meh.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
He will never be by virtue that he is a new inhuman. A... nuHuman (to borrow the term from the comics) if you will. That instantly makes him not like comic book Lash.

In the comics he comes from an ancient city where terrigenesis (as a ritualised, almost religious process) was only performed on rare individuals. So naturally he takes it upon himself to uphold what he knows and eliminates the unworthy inhumans. In the show they were lazy and wrote that aspect of him as some kind of instinct.

I don't know where this show is going anymore and I'm not entirely sure I care all that much. Season 2 was good, this one? Meh.

The writers of the show and movies have taken liberties with just about every character they've taken from the comics and given a new interpretation to it. Hell, even comic-book writers do this all the time, just look at all the transformations Joker has gone through over the years. Why is this suddenly a problem when it happens to Lash?

I think if you are watching the show with the expectation that it'll run lockstep with the comics, then you'll be disappointed every time. It's not the first character to have a significantly different background and characterization either (hello, Daisy?)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The only way they can save Lash as a character now is to have him break out of storage, claiming he wanted to be captured so he could wipe out all the weak inhumans they've got there.

The writers of the show and movies have taken liberties with just about every character they've taken from the comics and given a new interpretation to it. Hell, even comic-book writers do this all the time, just look at all the transformations Joker has gone through over the years. Why is this suddenly a problem when it happens to Lash?
Yeah, Daisy isn't even inhuman in the comics...

Because in this case there was no need to use that character. If they're going to take that many liberties then just invent a new one.

Apoc29

Ah, the old "I could blow a hole in your chest right now but instead I'll just pick you up and throw you against a wall" classic monster move.

Did Andrew saying that "there was something bad" about Lincoln have any merit? They did kind of suddenly make him look evil when he went all revengey on him.

anaron

Oh come on.

AoS has fantastic special effects. if there's anything to rag on, it's the show's cinematography.

the comparisons to Flash don't add up to me either. That show has the luxury of basically doing anything the hell it wants to and the added bonus of airing on a network that is basically cable.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Because in this case there was no need to use that character. If they're going to take that many liberties then just invent a new one.

And then fans would be exclaiming "it's just Lash-lite, why not use actual Lash?"

The Lash you know and love still exists, it's not like the comics Lash is suddenly gone. This is a different Lash, these are different Inhumans altogether (where the fuck is Black Bolt? Isn't he supposed to protect his people?), this continuum has nothing to do with any other continuum you may or may not have knowledge of. In this continuum, Lash is not some holy crusader on a quest, he's an animal with a Phd.

Oh come on.

AoS has fantastic special effects. if there's anything to rag on, it's the show's cinematography.

the comparisons to Flash don't add up to me either. That show has the luxury of basically doing anything the hell it wants to and the added bonus of airing on a network that is basically cable.

Either way Marvel should double down with Netflix and not look back

Network TV is clearly starting to show its limits as far as quality and consistency

At least in the 23 episode season format

To many resources spread thin. Its a miracle CW can keep the boat afloat. I suppose they are smarter with when to used low quality filler in between the good stuff

Good pacing and writing can bury a lot of flaws

My ideal world is the Netflix model for everything though

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oh come on.

FX are generally fine (anything with the new bus is rad), but AoS sets and art direction remain garbage. Blaming on it for being a network show doesn't make it any less true. Trash is trash.

Edit: Isn't Gotham a network show? Because that shit is BANANAS. It also has a tremendously strong visual identity, complete with amazing props, sets and cinematography.

jph139

I do think it's sort of dumb to introduce a comic book character, strip away all of the cool stuff about them, and wipe off your hands like you did a good job. Like, if Jiaying could wiggle her hair and they called her Medusa, that would be a waste of a quality character and I would still be complaining about it today.

But I personally don't care about Lash in any universe, so, eh, doesn't bother me.

And then fans would be exclaiming "it's just Lash-lite, why not use actual Lash?"

The Lash you know and love still exists, it's not like the comics Lash is suddenly gone. This is a different Lash, these are different Inhumans altogether (where the fuck is Black Bolt? Isn't he supposed to protect his people?), this continuum has nothing to do with any other continuum you may or may not have knowledge of. In this continuum, Lash is not some holy crusader on a quest, he's an animal with a Phd.

They aren't really butchering Lash all that much. He's still doing the same thing Lash is. Technically, they've also completely butchered the T-Bomb storyline as well (which had been building up to for years), but no one seems to care about that either. Yes, how they've treated Lash bothers me immensely, but I'm also fine with how they're using him given the story. Lash isn't so different so as to be in name only.

Also, to answer the Black Bolt question: One of the things about the Inhumans is that there are several clans, and not all of them agree with each other. Attilan is seen as a bunch of pompous douchebags who take the entire race's direction into their own hands. The Genetic Council (a bunch of pompous douchebags) and the Royal Family (Douchebaggery depends on what day of the week it is) reside there.

Currently, Attilan is either in the Himalayas or the Blue Area of the Moon, and Attilan most likely had no knowledge of Jiaying's group. Or they didn't care. Either way, the Royal Family not doing anything about this is rather on the money.

The shitty Lash design made its way into the Future Fight game and it just stands out as so poor next to all those classic comic designs.

I feel like the effects for his transformation have been decent but he still just looks so low rent. A character like Lash should be a big cgi dude like Hulk or Thanos and they can't pull that off with a TV budget. They probably could have done something way cooler if they didn't try to shoehorn in an existing comics Inhuman.

guek

Banned
Lash's design has grown on me since his awful first appearance.

I dunno, I think this season has been pretty good so far, just not "comic booky" enough with too much relationship drama. The Fitz/Simmons thread would have been enough to fill that need without Lincoln/Daisy, Andrew/May, and Coulson/Rosalind taking up time.

I wish they had just gone the route of racing the ATCU in tracking inhumans. Maybe they could have had the ATCU weaponizing them against their will with Lash being an asset out of containment. Like I said, it needs to be more "comic booky"

We're not at S2 levels yet, but I'm enjoying this season too. I feel like all the threads are starting to come together.

Flash and Arrow are having good seasons too so overall it's been pretty solid for comic book shows so far IMO.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Prediction: Ward was working for SHIELD the entire time O:
tumblr_n7ogf1Scer1sr2rgro1_250.gif

FX are generally fine (anything with the new bus is rad), but AoS sets and art direction remain garbage. Blaming on it for being a network show doesn't make it any less true. Trash is trash.

Edit: Isn't Gotham a network show? Because that shit is BANANAS. It also has a tremendously strong visual identity, complete with amazing props, sets and cinematography.

Agreed on all counts. I'm constantly amazed by how great Gotham looks.

Vidiot

I know nothing about the inhumans in the comics so the fact that it isn't following the same story or certain characters are changed up doesn't really bother me. In enjoying the season so far. I have no idea what the big mid season twist will be though. Best guess is they find a way to get the astronaut dude back and that evil space demon thing comes to earth also.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Agreed on all counts. I'm constantly amazed by how great Gotham looks.

It's also the most violent current TV show not called Banshee.

I'm currently catching up and in this episode one dude lost an eyeball, two hands were chopped off (one of them in rather shocking fashion), one man was shoot to shit, another was beaten into a pulp for no good reason, a cop was set on fire by teen and some random bozo met his maker in grand style.

7vWhEWj.gif

Mind you, I don't need AoS to be this fucking brutal, but some grit and camera flair could work wonders.

Hunter was annoying the shit out of me earlier this season but I can't help but love him after the last couple episodes.
Fo sho.

anaron

yeah but AoS is part of the MCU which with certain exceptions, is still largely a pretty boring visual set of films.

I'm not saying I excuse the show for its lame visuals but I just feel like it's somehow leashed the way other properties aren't.

ETA; Jesus Christ at that Gotham gif haha holy fuck

1. I got bored of Lash, glad he's "gelled" or whatever it is. May is better without the corny love story angle. Let her be a tough fighter, not a heartbroken sadface most female roles degenerate into.

2. Ward/Hydra is really starting to bore me. The Coulson thing with Rosalind was too predictable. I hope they use her as a triple-agent and she's really working for Fury behind the scenes. But who knows.

3. Fitz and Simmons are compelling though - I like how their relationship is going with the whole portal/planet stuff.

4. Mack needs more depth. I hope they work on his character more. He's too 1 dimensional and I think they have an opening for him based on his exposure to the alien temple stuff when he was "possessed" or whatever it was.

That's all for now.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
ETA; Jesus Christ at that Gotham gif haha holy fuck

Are following Gotham? If not, you haven't seen nothing yet, An.

S1 was kind of bland and lame, trying to even TINY CRIME SOLVER ORPHAN BRUCE WAYNE with Gordon's grimmy past, but writers realized that Gotham is a dark fucking place ridden with all sorts of nasty criminals, so they decided to embrace the madness and let it rip with no considerations towards the few folks who wanted a more... "approachable" Batman story.

This season has been brutal so far. Sutter must be taking notes.

Top Bottom