• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

guek

Banned
It was a good episode, but I really really dislike the idea of HYDRA being some ancient Inhuman worshiping cult and not the creation of the Red Skull.

Eh, it sounds like Red Skull still founded Hydra proper but its roots were based on an older occult society. It's safe to say that without Red Skull and Zola, the Hydra of today would look totally different, if not extinct entirely.

Johndoey

Banned
Eh, it sounds like Red Skull still founded Hydra proper but its roots were based on an older occult society. It's safe to say that without Red Skull and Zola, the Hydra of today would look totally different, if not extinct entirely.

Yeah I took it as Skull revived and retooled Hydra and there were only a few Hydra "purists" still around to carry the Old God type stuff.

Ithil

Or it wasn't necessarily called Hydra throughout history, just that a cult under numerous names and forms has persisted. Remember Red Skull was majorly into occult history and whatnot, so him drawing on this old cult as the basis for his Hydra faction makes sense.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Amazing episode, so much fun. I mentioned before in the thread that it was looking like they'd tie everything together in this episode, glad that happened. Love when the show fires on all cylinders like this

jph139

Ancient occult roots for HYDRA definitely feels inline with the Indiana Jones feel of The First Avenger, so yeah, even if it's a pretty major retcon, I'd say it's thematically appropriate.

Plus, it feels a lot like the fictionalized versions of the Thule Society and Teutonic Knights that always play into more fantastic Nazi stories.

guek

Banned
As great as Ward was, does anyone else want to see him get completely outclassed? I don't recall seeing that yet in this show. Every time I see him mow through mooks, I imagine him trying to take on someone like Bucky, Cap, or maybe even Crossbones and getting frustrated and fearful over being out of his depth. I want to see the character go through that.

As a retcon, and I'm not familiar enough with the old comics to say otherwise, it's a pretty ingenious one. Red Skull's obsession with the occult had to come from somewhere.

SRG01

Or it wasn't necessarily called Hydra throughout history, just that a cult under numerous names and forms has persisted. Remember Red Skull was majorly into occult history and whatnot, so him drawing on this old cult as the basis for his Hydra faction makes sense.

Isn't that what they basically said? That the organization has taken many forms in the past, and one of those forms in the current day was Hydra?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
As great as Ward was, does anyone else want to see him get completely outclassed? I don't recall seeing that yet in this show. Every time I see him mow through mooks, I imagine him trying to take on someone like Bucky, Cap, or maybe even Crossbones and getting frustrated and fearful over being out of his depth. I want to see the character go through that.

Yeah, I've thought about how it would be fun to see him all full of that Ward confidence and Swagger and then turn a corner to see Captain America rushing toward him. He's not an idiot, he would know he has no chance in a 1v1.

I feel like the show he is probably at about crossbones level though, or at least that's what the show is trying to convey. When it comes to non-enhanced people there's actual avengers like black widow and hawkeye, then right under them folks like crossbones, ward, and even May.

Slayven

But Lash still is, overall, the same kinda character. Monstrous bulky dude with spikey dreads who kills Inhumans.

And the Unspoken can be vastly powered dude bent on turning earth into a inhuman paradise.

I know they will never do it, at least not until a movie. But I wonder if AoS will deal with how Inhumans have slaves?

And the Unspoken can be vastly powered dude bent on turning earth into a inhuman paradise.

Of course, I never disputed that they couldn't use characters differently. And honestly, more than Lash, you could argue about (original) von Strucker, the Maximoffs, Falcon, Kraken, and several other characters that are much more removed from the source material. I find Lash to be a lot closer than many of the other MCU characters that aren't mainliners.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Isn't that what they basically said? That the organization has taken many forms in the past, and one of those forms in the current day was Hydra?
Yep. Here's what Malick said:

Red Skull was following the principal that Hydra was built upon, that the ultimate power was not of this world. But Hydra... well, we're much, much older than that. Hydra's actually as ancient as this stone. This one here and other surviving stones like it have been passed down for 100 generations.

Keep your eye on it, Mr. Ward. You don't want to miss it when it does its thing. This was cut from a much larger stone, a monolith that possesses otherworldly properties. Literally. It's a portal to another world.

Thousands of years ago, an Inhuman was born on this planet that was destined to rule it, so powerful, so fearsome that others were consumed with dread, and so they banished it from the Earth, sent it through the portal to a distant planet.

Hydra was founded with the sole purpose of engineering its return. Over generations, Hydra's taken different shapes. The entity has been given different names. But every generation has sent men through the portal, hoping to save or at least serve our leader on the other side. Now we're building an army for it to command when it returns, and you and I will rule beside it.

And Fitz and Simmons show the evolution of their logo which only becomes an octopus/hydra by the end, so It's fair to assume the previous forms of the organization had different names that went along with those different designs.

pJYkoF5.png

SulYfwb.png

9Z2mQcO.png

tRHRppK.png

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just watched this episode - really enjoyed it!

i feel like this show always takes about 10 episodes to pop off, and we are starting to see it now in S3

Ward crashing through the ceiling on that very large concrete slab was very cool even if it was unrealistic.

I wonder if Hydra goes after Daisy if they figure out she can force the portal open? Or will they just grab Simmons and use her research to open it?

How did Andrew end up at the Hydra base?

That exchange between Lincoln and Daisy was so forgettable.

I want to see a fight between Joey and the Iron Chef. Iron Chef throws metal at Joey, he warps/dissolves it.

Although I'm not sure I want them to spend money making that show, after watching Bobbi and Hunter last night I'm much less skeptical about a Marvel's Most Wanted.

The adviser of the president was Hydra and was involved with the ATCU and had people in there to takeover the Inhuman operation. So the ATCU got it, but his guys inside to it to Hydra.

Yeah I know, but didn't the module ping the ATCU servers from within their base? And in the time it took for Bobbi and Hunter to infiltrate, the module was transferred to a plane and flown to an undisclosed location? Wouldn't the module have a tracker attached to it?

Eh it's a TV show.

Chariot

Yeah I know, but didn't the module ping the ATCU servers from within their base? And in the time it took for Bobbi and Hunter to infiltrate, the module was transferred to a plane and flown to an undisclosed location? Wouldn't the module have a tracker attached to it?

Eh it's a TV show.
My take is that it was never there where the majority of the ATCU thought it was. I think the insiders manipulated the data.

guek

Banned
This was good. I got worried that they made her another Hydra pawn.

But bigger surprise for me is Banks not being a bad guy.
Yeah that was much appreciated too. I can't wait for him to get even with Hunter too and either deck or ice him.

Also, there's no way Andrew survives the end of the season, right? Ward is going to program him and May and Lincoln are going to put him down for good or he'll come to and sacrifice himself in some way.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Yeah that was much appreciated too. I can't wait for him to get even with Hunter too and either deck or ice him.

Also, there's no way Andrew survives the end of the season, right? Ward is going to program him and May and Lincoln are going to put him down for good or he'll come to and sacrifice himself in some way.

What if they TAHITI Lash and have him work in the same vet as Calvin Zabo?

Top Bottom