• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

strafer

uh...I hope they don't kill Ward. I want him to be with Shield again.

There must be something else at play here.

I still believe there's redemption left.

He shot the women Coulson liked through the neck while they were on a date, just to fuck with him. If they let him back on the team this show is dead to me.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Are you literally not paying attention to all the bullshit he's doing?

How much torture and cold blooded murder does this guy have to do?

I don't see a redemption arc for Ward. I don't want one.

Im actually glad Ward dropped his urge for revenge

refreshing

will make the final episode far more interesting now that Coulson no longer has an emotional angle against him

"Ive moved on to bigger things"

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Current Ward cant be redeemed - but who knows what might happen down the line. In this episode they showed that Coulson likely would have been willing to end Wards brothers life to get some kind of results if necessary. Ward has always been a soldier and is trained to take out his enemies.

They created quite the charming villain with him so i doubt they will drop that angle and ...
It'll be interesting to see what Ward "becomes" next week. Maybe this will be his big chance to transform into something more substantial, like Skye did last season.

..such a development is more likely.

Johndoey

Banned
The thing is Shield has also done objectively questionable things that we as viewers accept because they are the heroes. Ward is just being more straight up with his interests and intentions.
Remember how Hunter started a fight in a populated town square with Creel or the shit with Tahiti or when shield left a woman with major mental health issues and little use of her fingers alone in a small apartment. Ignoring all the random people who have gotten knocked out robbed and lied to over the show by the main characters.

Famassu

Oh that's almost guaranteed.

I think she's been borderline for a while, but she's about to get worse.

And for everyone saying HeySeuss is wrong: May has had no character development; she's just grumpy all the time.

She started season one grumpy. They tried to put her and Ward together, and she grumpily boned him. They brought her ex-husband into her life, and she was nothing but grumpy toward him. They revealed why she's grumpy when she got the Cavalry nickname, and she got a some sympathy for a time afterward, but she never showed growth after revealing that part of her past — she just kept being grumpy. Early this season, they gave her some scenes with her parents. Did she soften up at all, show another side of herself, display anything but the G-word? No. Grumpy.

Will making her kill her ex-husband change this trend? Let's place bets.
Well this is one of the worst character development assessments I've read in a long while. May is grumpy, so? Character development doesn't have to mean that a grumpy character goes from grumpy to happy happy joy joy. She may have stayed generally grumpy throughout AoS (though even that is somewhat wrong, she's shown to have been able to enjoy life more again later on), but she's developed in other ways. She started season 1 as someone who wasn't willing to go back to the field and wasn't really letting anyone near her. From season 1's grumpy, super shut-off pilot-only May & by season 2's end, she had not only went back to field work (first a bit more reluctantly but nowadays with total confidence), but she's also let several people get closer to her (being motherly/mentor-ish with Daisy, the whole deal with being willing to take care of Coulson instead just killing him if he went insane, getting back together with Andrew) and then she even left SHIELD to spend time with a loved one. And while Andrew being Lash was clearly hard on her, she's holding it together probably far better than a Season 1 May would have.

You don't have to like her grumpiness and maybe she could be a little less grumpy overall, that's fine, that's your opinion, but to reduce her character development to how grumpy she is or is not is just showing no understanding of her character at all and reducing character development to an overly simple level. She doesn't go from one personality to a complete opposite or anything, but that's really not all that realistic for people of her age (or most people). People in their late 40s & beyond don't usually experience some epiphanies that totally change who they are, so May's character development being subtler & slower is more believable. She's direct, she can come off as grumpy, but that's mostly just who she is and how she likes official business/work be done.

All that said, sure, she's not a character who'd be in the Top 3 AoS Characters with Most Character Development or anything (those probably go for the young ones, Skye/Daisy, Fitz & Jemma). Still, to say that there's been absolutely no character development or just minimal character development would be wrong.

Johndoey

Banned
They probably pulled her hair and squeezed her fingers a little with the pliers. That scratch looks like she took a hammer to the face, too.
It looks like someone mussed her hair and she fell and scratched her face. Even Arrow had a better torture aftermath this was just lazy.

Pachimari

This season really is a step down from Season 2 which is unfortunate. That said, I didn't see Rosalind's death coming so that was really surprising, and Coulson's jump into the portal was hype as fuck.

But I'm disappointed with the Secret Warriors. With all of the fanfare leading up to Season 3, and all of the hype around here, I thought the team was supposed to be something really special. And now it turns out, that it consists of Skye, Joey and Sparkplug? Really?

Man, Mack is an awesome Nick Fury-lite. I wonder who will be the villain's "body": Coulson, Fitz or Will.

If they bring it inside Ward, giving him superpowers it will be super lame.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
But I'm disappointed with the Secret Warriors. With all of the fanfare leading up to Season 3, and all of the hype around here, I thought the team was supposed to be something really special. And now it turns out, that it consists of Skye, Joey and Sparkplug? Really?

We still got another half of the season. I'm sure we'll be getting more team members.

VAD

I'm not mad at Ward for Roz. I'm super mad at him for mocking Fitz for being in the friendzone. Seriously, that shit should be in the Geneva convention :'( .
Fuck you Ward, fuck you...
I may project myself a little bit too much into Fitz

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Simmons fell back into damsel mode really easily, didn't really make sense for her to let Fitz go, she knows the terrain, she presumably has some idea how to find Will, the portals opening anyway, she should have saved Fitz and told them to take her instead.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Where's the gifs of that awesome DaisyMack fistbump?!
tGYfF6X.gif

Malyse

Simmons fell back into damsel mode really easily, didn't really make sense for her to let Fitz go, she knows the terrain, she presumably has some idea how to find Will, the portals opening anyway, she should have saved Fitz and told them to take her instead.

I don't disagree on the damsel part, but she was and has been suffering from PTSD. She absolutely shouldn't have went back.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I don't disagree on the damsel part, but she was and has been suffering from PTSD. She absolutely shouldn't have went back.

I thought they showed it wasn't actually PTSD at all, it was guilt for leaving Will there, afterall it was her idea to go back in the first place, she must have been expecting to actually go and get him at some point.

I think for story reasons it absolutely had to be Fitz that went, Gemma in the other world pt.2 isn't nearly as interesting as what we've got, they just picked a bad way to justify it imo.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Man, Mack is an awesome Nick Fury-lite. I wonder who will be the villain's "body": Coulson, Fitz or Will.

If they bring it inside Ward, giving him superpowers it will be super lame.

No, I'd rather a villainous person became a superpowered villain than the tired trope of "now you have to fight your friend who is being controlled by evil!". That's much more lame IMO.

Comics are filled with superpowered villains, being able to see it happen over the course of 3 seasons in a TV show would be pretty cool instead of movies where they need to rush through it in the first half hour. That's assuming they go that route with Ward obviously.

Malyse

I thought they showed it wasn't actually PTSD at all, it was guilt for leaving Will there, afterall it was her idea to go back in the first place, she must have been expecting to actually go and get him at some point.

I think for story reasons it absolutely had to be Fitz that went, Gemma in the other world pt.2 isn't nearly as interesting as what we've got, they just picked a bad way to justify it imo.

Then why all the weird reacclimation scenes and the dinner breakdown?

No, I'd rather a villainous person became a superpowered villain than the tired trope of "now you have to fight your friend who is being controlled by evil!". That's much more lame IMO.

Comics are filled with superpowered villains, being able to see it happen over the course of 3 seasons in a TV show would be pretty cool instead of movies where they need to rush through it in the first half hour. That's assuming they go that route with Ward obviously.

Eh, I don't know to be honest, I'd rather see them kill Coulson/Fitz/Will than Ward. By that I really mean kill, not "let's save our friend from the foe inside him via deus ex machina."

jmood88

Yeah, fuck Simmons.

guek

Banned
Fantastic episode. Coulson working that strike team was rad as hell. My only disappointment is that we still haven't seen his hand do anything cool other than punch a brick pillar.

Frog-fu

Banned

Simmons got freaking tortured, she was in no shape to go, plus it was Fitz that figured out how to get people back so he's probably the better bet to go with. Even if Simmons learned from Fitz how to bring people back, she still wasn't in shape to go.

I imagine Ward picked her to get tortured because she already tried to kill him and he still feels guilty over what he did to Fitz, who he apparently was projecting his younger brother on.

Altazor

I liked the episode. Didn't floor me or whatever, but I enjoyed it.

A small (possible) nitpick though: I may be misremembering, but didn't Ward kill his older brother last year? So why did his younger brother made it seem like it was like, a decade ago, during this episode? Was it a retcon or just a mistake? Or am I completely wrong?

shingi70

Banned
I didn't take that as Simmions being pushed back into a damsel. It shows how much she's grown as a character not to give into to toture even if her goals are a bit aligned with Hydras at the moment. Fitz has grown but Simmons is still his sore spot as he'd do anything for her. It shows how stagnet his character has become since he has no clear motivations or unique storylines beyond Simmons.

A small (possible) nitpick though: I may be misremembering, but didn't Ward kill his older brother last year? So why did his younger brother made it seem like it was like, a decade ago, during this episode? Was it a retcon or just a mistake? Or am I completely wrong?

I thought the same, I was like "Wait, the guy died last year".

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

I think you just got the wrong impression during conversation. He does jump from distant grievances to him killing the rest of his family (which happened a year ago, I guess) pretty abruptly.

This show deserves so many more viewers. I wish they could do a movie with the caet to reignite the fan base.

Daisy should pop up in a movie sooner or later, should definitely show up in Inhumans(unless they strictly stick to the royal family).

Either way, the show did itself no favors with it's really poor start, I remember looking at trailers and not understanding why anyone could find it interesting. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I forced myself to give it a go and even then it took me some effort to not give up on it halfway through season 1.

If I knew Inhumans were going to be a thing in this show I would've given it a shot a lot sooner, but I actually haven't seen any kind of marketing from Marvel since the pilot. Actually it was Future Fight that reminded me of the show and made me realize it had inhumans.

He killed his brother(+wife and kids) last year by setting his house on fire, he killed his parents when he was younger also by setting their house on fire, the method being the same makes it a bit confusing.

Altazor

I think you just got the wrong impression during conversation. He does jump from distant grievances to him killing the rest of his family (which happened a year ago, I guess) pretty abruptly.

rewatched the scene. The brother says: "Grant was 17 when he burned my parents' house down, with Christian inside. Ever since, I've made sure to give him a pretty wide berth."

So I guess they either retconned it or just didn't care ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rewatched the scene. The brother says: "Grant was 17 when he burned my parents' house down, with Christian inside. Ever since, I've made sure to give him a pretty wide berth."

So I guess they either retconned it or just didn't care ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not necessarily a retcon. You can set fire to a house with someone inside and that person can manage to get out.

That was still odd though.

Top Bottom