• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

vivftp

I liked the episode. Didn't floor me or whatever, but I enjoyed it.

A small (possible) nitpick though: I may be misremembering, but didn't Ward kill his older brother last year? So why did his younger brother made it seem like it was like, a decade ago, during this episode? Was it a retcon or just a mistake? Or am I completely wrong?

There were 2 seperate incidents he was referring to. The first was Ward burning their parents house with his brother inside when Ward was 17. This is what eventually led Garrett to him. The second was Ward killing his brother and parents last year

Quick

Banned
Coulson jumping into the portal from the Quinjet was pretty awesome. I was expecting Hunter to follow.

The original team's analysis on Ward was great. Fitz was essentially Ward's younger brother, and Simmons obviously admired him. Daisy acknowledges that her and Ward are kindred spirits with how they grew up, but doesn't lose sight that he became a monster.

"It's not that he doesn't feel anything, it's that he feels too much" seems like a good description of Ward's motivations.

Sucks that Rosalind is gone. The show is packed with characters already, but I feel like she would've been a nice addition to the cast. Their chemistry was great. Her death being the catalyst to Coulson's hunt for Ward absolutely works. RIP Coulsalind.

Coulson naming Mack as Acting Director of SHIELD makes plenty of sense. He has no ties to Ward at all. Him, Joey, and Lincoln seem to be the only ones with no ties at all.

Fantastic episode overall, as has been the norm this season.

Obscure Easter egg time:

Anybody else notice that the tech Hydra was using to open the portal looks a lot like Stark's Sonic Cannons from The Incredible Hulk?

tumblr_m5i8v5DcRN1qij7x1o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m5i8v5DcRN1qij7x1o2_1280.jpg

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I liked the episode. Didn't floor me or whatever, but I enjoyed it.

A small (possible) nitpick though: I may be misremembering, but didn't Ward kill his older brother last year? So why did his younger brother made it seem like it was like, a decade ago, during this episode? Was it a retcon or just a mistake? Or am I completely wrong?
Ward attempted to burn down the house with Christian in it, which resulted in him being sent to jail to be tried as adult and recruited by Garret. He just recently killed his parents by burning down their house.

Two seperate incidents.

Altazor

There were 2 seperate incidents he was referring to. The first was Ward burning their parents house with his brother inside when Ward was 17. This is what eventually led Garrett to him. The second was Ward killing his brother and parents last year

Ward attempted to burn down the house with Christian in it, which resulted in him being sent to jail to be tried as adult and recruited by Garret. He just recently killed his parents by burning down their house.

Two seperate incidents.

there it is, I was misremembering. Thanks, guys!

Coulson jumping into the portal from the Quinjet was pretty awesome. I was expecting Hunter to follow.

The original team's analysis on Ward was great. Fitz was essentially Ward's younger brother, and Simmons obviously admired him. Daisy acknowledges that her and Ward are kindred spirits with how they grew up, but doesn't lose sight that he became a monster.

"It's not that he doesn't feel anything, it's that he feels too much" seems like a good description of Ward's motivations.

Sucks that Rosalind is gone. The show is packed with characters already, but I feel like she would've been a nice addition to the cast. Their chemistry was great. Her death being the catalyst to Coulson's hunt for Ward absolutely works. RIP Coulsalind.

Coulson naming Mack as Acting Director of SHIELD makes plenty of sense. He has no ties to Ward at all. Him, Joey, and Lincoln seem to be the only ones with no ties at all.

Obscure Easter egg time:

Anybody else notice that the tech Hydra was using to open the portal looks a lot like Stark's Sonic Cannons from The Incredible Hulk?

Looks like the same prop.

Hell, probably is the same prop.

Ithil

rewatched the scene. The brother says: "Grant was 17 when he burned my parents' house down, with Christian inside. Ever since, I've made sure to give him a pretty wide berth."

So I guess they either retconned it or just didn't care ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Grant set fire to their house at 17, he was in prison/mental asylum as a result when Garrett showed up to recruit him into HYDRA.

Frog-fu

Banned
Didn't Ward just recently remind us of the fact he was a "something of a pyro" when he was younger?

That's what got him in jail and how he met Garret.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Obscure Easter egg time:

love that easter egg

LOVE IT

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Punished Coulson
Ward's Brother
Important female love interest gets shot
A reattached hand
People with weird fucking powers

We Metal Gear Solid now

So now multiple main characters are on the other world. I guess it'll be interesting to see where things go, but no doubt it'll end with them leaving Ward behind and when he returns, he'll be even crazier than he is now.

Shahadan

I liked Rosalind ;(

I expected her to die since she was made a bit too likable to not die eventually, but I was hoping it would be later in the season. Oh well.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Fantastic episode. Coulson working that strike team was rad as hell. My only disappointment is that we still haven't seen his hand do anything cool other than punch a brick pillar.

I hate this trope. He has a robotic hand, not a robotic shoulder. Using his hand to crush, fine, using it to punch real hard, unrealistic.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Wouldn't want a lack of realism in this superhero TV show.

Does everyone in this universe have super powered shoulders? No? Then it's not realistic within the scope of the universe these characters exist in.

I thought that went without saying.

vivftp

I hate this trope. He has a robotic hand, not a robotic shoulder. Using his hand to crush, fine, using it to punch real hard, unrealistic.

Well we don't know if he had additional work done on the inside of his arm. It's quite likely something extra had to be done inside his arm to allow him to properly manipulate the hand

anaron

I liked Rosalind ;(

I expected her to die since she was made a bit too likable to not die eventually, but I was hoping it would be later in the season. Oh well.
Because of her starring in (the amazing) UnReal I've wondered how long she'd really be able to stick around so while I'm super bummed they killed her, I think I was prepared to lose her.

I don't think it's fair to call it a fridging though. Ros being killed made complete sense within the situation and was frankly the most realistic solution. I was thinking just before she was killed how ultimately screwed she was and then Ward shoots her, confirming it. It was a brutal but effective and smart decision to make despite how awful it is lose Constance.

kirblar

Because of her starring in (the amazing) UnReal I've wondered how long she'd really be able to stick around so while I'm super bummed they killed her, I think I was prepared to lose her.

I don't think it's fair to call it a fridging though. Ros being killed made complete sense within the situation and was frankly the most realistic solution. I was thinking just before she was killed how ultimately screwed she was and then Ward shoots her, confirming it.
Ward had been repeatedly targeting romantic interests, he's done it 4 times in the last season and a half. (Bobbi, Dr. Andrews, Ros, Simmons)

Koriandrr

.....this episode. 3min in and I'm already like WHAT!??!

Also, I can't wait to see what this
inhuman is and what he can do. Seriously, the anticipation is killing me. I don't care about anything else at the moment. So far he appears to be a non x-men version of Storm. I WANT TO KNOW MORE D:

anaron

Looked the dude up. I guess he's responsible for the AV Club review everyone seems to be fretting over? Does he mention that parallel in the review?
yeah and it's a pretty weak comparison.

Jenny's death was a major gamechanger for Buffy and was weaved into affecting the show in waves that Ros' doesn't compare to in the slightest.

yeah and it's a pretty weak comparison.

Jenny's death was a major gamechanger for Buffy and was weaved into affecting the show in waves that Ros' doesn't compare to in the slightest.

It's certainly not one to one, but AoS has a history of following the rough Buffy outline, especially in season 1.

My bigger problem is that it just seems like such a waste of a character. It turns out the only reason that character existed at all was to give Coulson something Ward could take from him. And that is disappointing.

Oh yeah, one of the comments reminded me... I thought Coulson's extraction was lame. Only Mack showed up? You'd think they'd drop the hammer for the Director of SHIELD.

It takes time to mobilize a force and maybe he was just the one who happened to be able to get there the fastest. There could have been other units en route.

Assuming Mack drove directly from the SHIELD base, this seems to suggest it is within a couple miles of Rosalind's house. Did they actually place the house in Gaithersburg, MD, or am I misremembering?

Quick

Banned
With Agents of SHIELD, distance is just a measurement. lol

More realistically, Mack was probably within the area.

Top Bottom