• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

wildfire

Banned
This. Even more Fitz's courting revolves around a sort of captor/captive relationship. He's been surrounding her nearly every day because of their job, being territorial around other guys that get close to her. Everyone around them is also pushing this relationship one sidedly because of Fitz's brain damage. The only times she's been able to get away from him is being a double agent and being trapped on an alien planet.

Even more hilarious is he suddenly learned how to fight. Guy was a complete coward through and through, and now he's the trying to fight Ward and fighting infected Will. Simmonds is actually plausible, showing that mean streak to evil Ward early on and having to fight to survive on the planet.

I've never read an analytical post fail so spectacularly. This must be how climate change denying scientists write.

guek

Banned
I finally got around to watching the mid-season finale. The actual events transpired were pretty good but damn did they cut corners. Far too many "action" moments happened off screen generic kicking and punching sound effects. The way Fitz and Not-Will got the upper hand over their guards was also incredibly careless. In fact, Ward was uncharacteristically sloppy and careless the entire episode. Why would he let Fitz and Will conspire out of earshot? Why wouldn't he keep them separated? The Rosalind flashback scenes were also too on the nose and melodramatic.

I'm surprised some people are upset over Coulson killing Ward though. He sent Hunter and Bobbi on separate assassination missions. It was absolutely the right call to put him down for sure in case he miraculously survived on the planet and somehow got back...which is what happened anyway, but the point still stands.

You know what I can't believe?

Coulson shot 2 Hydra agents (and Ward) in a sandstorm without goggles. Considering how they were all wearing Kevlar, the two lackeys must've been killed by headshots.

I'm surprised some people are upset over Coulson killing Ward though. He sent Hunter and Bobbi on separate assassination missions. It was absolutely the right call to put him down for sure in case he miraculously survived on the planet and somehow got back...which is what happened anyway, but the point still stands.

It's not so much that he killed ward by why and how he did it. Coulson risked the entire team and mission not to save Fitz but to get his revenge on ward. Plus he was already dying Coulson had no reason to stick around to crush his chest like that. Guy risked his own life just to exact revenge, was fueled pretty much entirely by bloodlust and Fitz saw that pretty clearly.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I havent read the comics but if Coulson is a part of the,...is he as strong as in the show ? Dude feels OP as fuck whenever he is part of an outside mission...definitely cheating.

Pachimari

That was one underwhelming mid season finale. The only real good thing about it was Grant Ward dying and then showing up on Earth as this "death" creature. To me personally, this season is even worse than Season 1, but I do know and accept that generally I'm in the minority on that one.

Dalek

It was so satisfying seeing Coulson put his hand on Ward's chest like that. Why did he leave the hand though-I don't get it.

scabro

the whole "the portal is closing HURRY!" mixed with the moment of killing ward was too clumsy and cliche. they wanted that tension that didnt really need to be there.

would have worked better if coulson killed ward with plenty of time still on the portal. let the scene breathe a bit, have more emotional impact instead of just being bogged down with Fitz yelling and needless time wasting from Coulson with the portal about to close.

Dalek

the whole "the portal is closing HURRY!" mixed with the moment of killing ward was too clumsy and cliche. they wanted that tension that didnt really need to be there.

would have worked better if coulson killed ward with plenty of time still on the portal. let the scene breathe a bit, have more emotional impact instead of just being bogged down with Fitz yelling and needless time wasting from Coulson with the portal about to close.

Yeah agreed.

Johndoey

Banned
I havent read the comics but if Coulson is a part of the,...is he as strong as in the show ? Dude feels OP as fuck whenever he is part of an outside mission...definitely cheating.

Comics Coulson is relatively new and as a background character hasn't really done much..

Coulson originates from the MCU. He's not based off any character that existed in the comics at the time.

The only main cast member that appeared in the comics first is Daisy, but the MCU variant was developed so completely different it might as well not be the same person anyway.

Seigyoku

People already answered the comics bit but the Funny Thing Happened On the Way to Thor's Hammer short established that Coulson was pretty well trained for combat type missions. Suit or no.

People already answered the comics bit but the Funny Thing Happened On the Way to Thor's Hammer short established that Coulson was pretty well trained for combat type missions. Suit or no.

Oh hey, welcome back!

That short is all sorts of ridiculous and I'm sort of glad his skillset in AoS is a bit more grounded, robot hand shenanigans aside.

Oh hey, welcome back!

That short is all sorts of ridiculous and I'm sort of glad his skillset in AoS is a bit more grounded.

gBhI4n5.gif

What was the deal with that look Fitz and Coulson gave each other at the end of the episode? Does Coulson actually know that Will was really evil Hydra alien? Or does he perhaps think that Fitz cold-bloodedly killed Simmons' heartthrob?

And lol at Ward making it through the portal. They had like -5 seconds to make it through, and somehow Fitz and Coulson made it through but didn't see evil hydra alien infect ward's body, and wake up in the span of about a tenth of a second and then make it through pretty much at exactly the same time they did.

What was the deal with that look Fitz and Coulson gave each other at the end of the episode? Does Coulson actually know that Will was really evil Hydra alien? Or does he perhaps think that Fitz cold-bloodedly killed Simmons' heartthrob?

And lol at Ward making it through the portal. They had like -5 seconds to make it through, and somehow Fitz and Coulson made it through but didn't see evil hydra alien infect ward's body, and wake up in the span of about a tenth of a second and then make it through pretty much at exactly the same time they did.

I think its "We killed some people and are you going to bring it up or..."

Telling Gemma that Will died right after she escaped and became a Hydra monster is going to be a new guilt trip. Phil killing Ward in cold blood is going to be met with mixed reaction. It was just a moment between them where they recognized theyre going to start dealing with it.

The first thing Coulson saw was them already fighting, so it's not hard to figure out something was wrong just based on that.

The first thing Coulson saw was them already fighting, so it's not hard to figure out something was wrong just based on that.

Yea, but it could be that Fitz just attacked him because he wanted to off the competition. Anyway I guess it's a moot point, because all Fitz has to do is say "dude it was the alien in Will's body" and even if Coulson didn't believe him at first, he would after his first run-in with new Ward.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I wonder if there's a chance that something already happened between Coulson, Fitz and HiveWard while they were crossing the portal and they'll show it in the next episode.

https://twitter.com/AgentsofSHIELD/status/674779275346636801

Daisy is the only one who's smiling in the last scene, and she was passed out last we saw her in the castle. Mack, Fitz and Coulson are all pretty serious, and Fitz gives that look.

It's probably not the case, just posting random speculation since that crossed my mind while rewatching the scene. :p

Cuburt

Clearly during Season One, they were not intended to become a couple. Since then the writers changed their minds (due to fan demand, internal shifts, or, hell, just changing their minds) and now it's one of those romantic-but-complicated things.
Not sure if this was ever true.

I remember them showing signs of Fitz realizing he had feelings for Simmons pretty early on.

There was this deleted scene from season 1 that painted their friendship in a different light and sort of hinted at Simmons possibly having some feelings for Fitz with the way she talks about him (even if she hadn't realized it yet, just look at Skye's reaction though), but it seems to me with the way they decided to show things mostly for Fitz' point of view with his struggles with his feelings (especially during season 2), they wanted to keep Simmons' point of view more under wraps to keep the mystery more ambiguous of whether she likes him or not.

Here's the scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-H7J6YW-tY

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, I'd say it was in their minds from pretty early on, especially when you consider that the dynamic between the two characters was partly based on Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen’s relationship. :p

“When we first conceived Fitz and Simmons, and we would pitch out those characters, it was something that Jed and I did by finishing each other’s sentences,” Tancharoen says. “It was just something that involuntarily happened. Because of the nature of that relationship, we’ve grown very fond of them. We care very much about this unrequited love story that we’ve built since the beginning.”
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/12/agents-shield-fitz-simmons-relationship-spoilers

Cuburt

I think a big part of what makes people get iffy about the prospect of FitzSimmons in a loving relationship is that the actors don't have that type of chemistry with each other. Jed Whedon and DJ Doyle even mentioned that when their kiss scene was going to be filmed both De Caestecker and Henstridge were all "lol this is weird, it's like kissing your sibling".

The same goes for Daisy and Lincoln to an extent, and the opposite is the reason why Coulson and Rosalind were embraced super quickly, with people constantly saying "get a room" in every scene they appeared together basically from the start.

Unfortunately there's not much that can be done from a writing perspective when the actors just don't have that kind of vibe, even if it's made clear that the characters have feelings for each other.

To be fair, there had been much more done in the writing to develop an outright flirtatious relationship between Coulson and Rosalind than either Daisy and Lincoln or Simmons and Fitz. The banter between Coulson and Rosalind was playful and full of spy mind games as well as testing each other, which is easy to turn into a more overt flirtatious dynamic. Add to that that the two had to interact for the plot and already had to build up trust for each other as they saw what the other's organization was up to and figure out if they could work together, so they had lots of screen time together. Few characters get relationship development that gets to be directly related to the plot and isn't a side note in the down time. Characters barely get much screen time to show how friendship develops between 2 characters on the show, let alone time to develop a romantic relationship.

Khaz

Clearly having a cyborg with rockets in his arms would be a big asset. Last time he appeared he said he was training at the Avengers facility, was he not?

[edit] Coulson has both his hands in these covers. And is left handed in the first one for some reason.

Bearthgar

Banned
Sunk cost fallacy for me personally. Also I like to complain to duckroll, although he's too busy playing Trails or something nowadays.

I also have to be peripherally invested in this other Marvel stuff because it's the only way that more Jessica Jones will happen.

Hatewatching is one of the most pathetic acts of a human. Basically being a media cuckold

guek

Banned
It's not so much that he killed ward by why and how he did it. Coulson risked the entire team and mission not to save Fitz but to get his revenge on ward. Plus he was already dying Coulson had no reason to stick around to crush his chest like that. Guy risked his own life just to exact revenge, was fueled pretty much entirely by bloodlust and Fitz saw that pretty clearly.

Ah, ok. That's a more understandable grievance. I'd have to agree that it took an unnecessary amount of time given how much was at risk. Most of the emotional beats in the episode were overplayed though.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Interesting to note that Deathlok is now part of the Coulson team in the in-continuity SHIELD comic that will start releasing in January. He wasn't in the team in the previous pre-Secret Wars volume, even though Quake, May, Fitz and Simmons were (Mockingbird appeared in one issue too). I wonder if this means we'll be seeing him again in the show.

tumblr_nz5q36AurD1rw6hzpo3_500.jpg
tumblr_nz5q36AurD1rw6hzpo1_500.jpg

http://marvelentertainment.tumblr.c...-january-coulson-and-his-team-step-out-of-the

Wait, this is in-continuity with the show? So... Mockingbird getting a wing suit then?

Can they please cut the shit and give us Robo Wardmaster already?

And then give him some screen time in a movie. The world needs more Brett Dalton's Ward.

inky

Even when Ward dies he doesn't die.

Wouldn't Ward's rotting corpse smell like in a couple of days. Wouldn't his shattered rib cage be a hindrance to that thing inhabiting his body? I mean, Will's body never actually healed.

What a plothole.

Top Bottom