• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

Volimar

Wasn't that just the pitt ronan bated in the blood of people?

tumblr_mn2blsRCSX1s91glho3_500.gif

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I think I need to rewatch the episode because my mind was still processing Ming Na Wen in that golf dress.

Dem legs....

Here's my question, and it bothers me a lot:

Why does Daisy use the gauntlets? Do they do anything? I know what they do in the comics, but in the MCU, why bother? Is it increased stability? A bit more power? I mean, she can fine tune frequencies without the gauntlets, so control is hardly an issue.

Otherwise, amazing episode.
I don't see that going beyond backdoor pilot. Unless she gets some Infinity Formula, to shake things up
Oh you
I think that's my issue with how the whole Hydra worldwide network went down. The implication that they've been dismantled so quickly behind the scenes, and we just get the rise of power and the fall of this crazy entrenched organization between two movies bookending one season of Agents.
I don't count what Ward is doing as being relevant yet. Not until they actually do something noteworthy besides adopting the name and gather the leftover henchmen with stencil skills.
I mean, they're HYDRA. It's in the name. They don't die, they multiply. They get jobbed on the regular in the comics, but they're never completely headless, operationally defunct, or eradicated. I'm hoping that the real HYDRA is still intact and doing deliciously devious shit in the shadows.
The problem is that the good Baron went down like a bitch.
I really need to start calling out stuff in this show when I have a hunch/theory. Unlike Lost, I've been right with this show, lol.

The well in Guardians of the Galaxy:

Gaurdians%20of%20the%20Galaxy.png~original

The well in Agents of Shield:

Purpose%20in%20the%20Machine.png~original

All used for portals.

Wasn't that just the pitt ronan bated in the blood of people?

That is the correct answer, though it is a fun similarity.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm loving the new Daisy, she's rocking it. Taking field ops in her control, letting Coulson worry about the bigger picture.
Mack, jesus, dude is baller as fuck. Kicking it in that medieval subwoofer, dude is awesome.
Fitz got upgraded from Science Guy to Friendzoned Sympathy Guy to Badass Investigator Extraordinair.
Good to have Gemma back, but in what capacity remains a mystery.
Ward was amazing, building back HYDRA, tracking down Von Strucker's son, I loved the fightscene on the boat and his casual "I brought taco's"
Hunter was great as always, I just enjoy his cool, dry humor under stress

And again; May. Goddamn.

51 years old. FIFTYONE. I know 20yr olds who'd kill for legs like that. DAMN girl!

I thought I recognized Little Von Strucker....

ewVUkcx.jpg

Oh shit... Mind blown!

Great episode. Hunter going up against Ward? I don't think he'll be a match for Ward....but maybe with May's help.....

Speaking of May...WOWZERS...I was mad she wasn't in the first episode.....but that golf scene totally redeemed it. Amazing lady.

James Hong as her dad was great. Always liked watching Lo Pan. We thought something's gonna happen to him, but at that end of the episode, the show threw us a curveball and went after her ex husband instead.

anaron

Here's my question, and it bothers me a lot:

Why does Daisy use the gauntlets? Do they do anything? I know what they do in the comics, but in the MCU, why bother? Is it increased stability? A bit more power? I mean, she can fine tune frequencies without the gauntlets, so control is hardly an issue.

Otherwise, amazing episode.

Oh you

The problem is that the good Baron went down like a bitch.

That is the correct answer, though it is a fun similarity.

lol this has been bugging me too. I was hoping they would illustrate why they're essential to tune or even direct the vibrations but nope, there she is using her powers precisely without it. Annoying.

the final dub smash is up btw. Shield totally won.

LaNaranja

Am I alone here in hoping that the Secret Warriors isn't all that this show will eventually become? I kind of like the regular "Agents" being grounded as S.H.I.E.L.D, and doing agenty shit as well.

Me too. If anyone should get spun off it is Daisy and whatever team she ends up making. Then Fitz can become the undisputed star of AoS.

Ricker

I kinda whished we would get a few episodes of Simmons trekking around on wherever planet she was,meeting a primitive society ala Star Trek or something lol but I guess that's not what this show is about...glad they got her out though.

So, if Jemma Simmons was in Obelisk Land of Sandy Hell for months, what did she eat/drink to survive?

Didn't look like she ventured too far from the portal spot the whole time, since Fitz found her immediately.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So, if Jemma Simmons was in Obelisk Land of Sandy Hell for months, what did she eat/drink to survive?

Didn't look like she ventured too far from the portal spot the whole time, since Fitz found her immediately.

They explain that she saw the flare Fitz sent, and that's why she was near the portal.

Her hair was shoulder length at the time she was dragged into the portal and now it's several inches longer. Hair grows about 0.5 inches per month, so it would appear she didn't experience any time dilation effects, given how long it is in this last episode.

Part of me wants to say they would never introduce Skrulls in this Show, but then again I never thought they'd introduce Inhumans. But for some reason I can't see them introducing Skrulls in the show. Seems like something they would save for GOTG 2

I thought the skrulls fell under the fantastic four franchise and that belongs to Fox at the moment.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Goddamn, this season is firing all cylinders right from the start. I really, REALLY hope we don't hit another Cap America/Avengers related slump mid season, because the first couple of episodes have been well above the previous average. My only complain is Simmons' mystery coming to an end so quickly. That was one hell of a cliffhanger to be resolved as if it were no thang.

Also, Ward has already cemented his status as gdlk character.

Her hair was shoulder length at the time she was dragged into the portal and now it's several inches longer. Hair grows about 0.5 inches per month, so it would appear she didn't experience any time dilation effects, given how long it is in this last episode.
I wouldn't think too much about that.

Either case, it looks like she was there long enough to be chased by somebody or something.

Goddamn, this season is firing all cylinders right from the start. I really, REALLY hope we don't hit another Cap America/Avengers related slump mid season, because the first couple of episodes have been well above the previous average. My only complain is Simmons' mystery coming to an end so quickly. That was one hell of a cliffhanger to be resolved as if it were no thang.

Also, Ward has already cemented his status as gdlk character.

I wouldn't think too much about that.

Either case, it looks like she was there long enough to be chased by somebody or something.

The only reason it clicks with me is that it equals the time she's been gone pretty much straight up. Can't wait to see what they do with flashbacks.

Pachimari

To me, Season 3 isn't at the level of last season, but I don't remember how Season 2 started off. This episode were mediocre, but I'm excited to see how Hunter's mission go and who will be part of the Secret Warriors.

I don't like the whole Werner von Strucker being undercover, it reminds me of Ward in Season 1. I'm also not fond, that they have solved the Simmons plot already. So much could have happened out there in the galaxy.

I do hope they pick up the pace soon though.

Three things I really liked though, were Quake's usage of her powers at the well, Baron von Strucker's son being introduced and Ward going all ninja on that ship.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Simmons' plot is totally resolved. We will probably get flashbacks and repercussions that lead to bigger things.

Ahh, gotcha.

Yeah, but part of me thinks they won't use the Skrulls for that reason since Fox could potentially use them. Also I read a quote saying they were going to use the Skrulls in avengers 1 but Whedon took them out and replaced them With the Chitari. I thought he said it was for Legal reasons but it could just be they didn't want to waste it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Yeah, but part of me thinks they won't use the Skrulls for that reason since Fox could potentially use them. Also I read a quote saying they were going to use the Skrulls in avengers 1 but Whedon took them out and replaced them With the Chitari. I thought he said it was for Legal reasons but it could just be they didn't want to waste it.

He was, but realized what potential the Skrull have in relation with Kree, he replaced them with the Chitauri, to use Skrull later on fit something more than Loki's dumb army.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hey, you guys know the show's composer, Bear McCreary, has a blog, right? It's true! He made an entry for the AoS season three premiere: http://www.bearmccreary.com/#blog/blog/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-season-3-begins/

Bear McCreary said:
The third season opens with the same level of intensity as the second ended. Now, the potential threat of aliens is public knowledge. Inhumans have become the target of both government crackdowns and a mysterious serial killer creature named Lash.

Musically, this pushed me to expand the sound of the score in a big way. To represent Lash, I brought in larger percussion: merciless pounding taikos that I digitally compressed and distorted. This new, mangled percussion sound is horrific, and will become increasingly important as the season progresses. I also underscored Lash with a simple brass ostinato, spanning a minor third at the bottom of the instruments’ registers:

Lash.png

In order to get the scariest sound possible, I brought in so many trombones that they spanned across the room! We reconfigured the entire recording space in a unique way, putting them in front of the group instead of in the rear, just to make room for them all!

image3.png

Of particular note to some of you, he talks about the soundtrack for seasons one and two. I remember in the previous thread about a month ago, some GAFfers were trying to figure out which episode each track was from. Wonder no more!

Bear McCreary said:
1. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Overture
2. Showdown at Union Station (“Pilot” & “The Bridge”)
3. 0-8-4 (“0-8-4″)
4. Rocket Launch (“0-8-4″)
5. The Obelisk (“Shadows”)
6. Aftermath of the Uprising (“Turn, Turn, Turn”)
7. Gravitonium (“The Asset”)
8. Cal (“One of Us”)
9. Cello Concerto (“The Only Light in the Darkness”)
10. Willing to Sacrifice (“Shadows”)
11. Alien DNA (“The Well,” “The Beginning of the End” & “Shadows”)
12. FZZT (“FZZT”)
13. Garrett (“TAHITI”)
14. Hail Hydra (“Turn, Turn, Turn”)
15. Helicopter Rescue (“The Beginning of the End”)
16. Terrigen Crystals (“Scars”)
17. Big Bang (“The Beginning of the End”)
18. The Rising Tide (“Pilot”)

Also the kid from Unbreakable.

nDZGMUM.png

Yup. First joined the Whedonverse in Joss' Much Ado About Nothing, which he likely got through knowing Riki Lindhome (of Garfunkel and Oates) who was in Buffy.

I really dig how the Whedons bring back actors they enjoy from other works of theirs.

DeathyBoy

Banned
He was, but realized what potential the Skrull have in relation with Kree, he replaced them with the Chitauri, to use Skrull later on fit something more than Loki's dumb army.

THIS.

Given how generic Loki's army was, why waste the Skrulls on that?

Platy

Yup. First joined the Whedonverse in Joss' Much Ado About Nothing, which he likely got through knowing Riki Lindhome (of Garfunkel and Oates) who was in Buffy.

I really dig how the Whedons bring back actors they enjoy from other works of theirs.

On a related note, how Fred do you think they will make Simmons' arc from now on ?

Platy

I mean technically they already pulled a version of that with Daisy. I think Simmons is more likely to go a River Tam direction.

Brillian scientist that survived in a hellish dimension and looks to be traumatized for life ?

Daisy didn't even came close to that =P

Brillian scientist that survived in a hellish dimension and looks to be traumatized for life ?

Daisy didn't even came close to that =P

Hacker type that went through an ordeal and became powered. Fred to Illyria.

Scientist that survived in a hellish dimension fits but Fred got over her PTSD pretty quickly. I'm thinking Simmons is going to be a bit on the crazier side like River and Fitz will be her safe zone like Simon.

Loved the first two episodes so far. It really looks like they're setting up the official formation of the Secret Warriors as the mid-season finale, doesn't it?

anaron

Hey, you guys know the show's composer, Bear McCreary, has a blog, right? It's true! He made an entry for the AoS season three premiere: http://www.bearmccreary.com/#blog/blog/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-season-3-begins/

Of particular note to some of you, he talks about the soundtrack for seasons one and two. I remember in the previous thread about a month ago, some GAFfers were trying to figure out which episode each track was from. Wonder no more!

so glad Helicopter rescue is on there. still super bummed that Skye's theme didn't make the cut

This is leaving out the fairly significant fact that (Angel spoiler)
Fred apparently died in the process and was left with a completely different personality controlling her dead body

We're talking a bit more broadly in terms of archetypes. Somewhat like Ward. Had Ward gotten a redemption arc.. he would've basically had the Angel treatment. The specifics would be different but the archetype the same.

BBboy20

So glad to be back to my Flash/Shield Tuesday viewing sessions.
That changed after iZombie's season finale earlier this year.

He has a FT gig on the CSI spinoff.
Isn't it the only CSI show left?

Man, it has been a while, hasn't it?

#TeamWardForever

I want him to be the last man standing when all is said and done.

He is the only consistently charismatic villain the show has been able to produce.
Yeah, as a villain, he's too entertaining to be offed off. Unless they can find someone who can be as charming, I can't see this happening.

Top Bottom