• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

Mariolee

I definitely appreciate the beginning of S1 a lot more than when I watched it live because although nothing was "really happening" something was: their relationship. When the whole team was together as one big family, pulling pranks and jokes on each other and in general just having a good fun clean innocent time in their adventures. The twists and turns of S2 and S3 so far make that clean beginning so much more fun to watch, especially Ward.

Kalentan

I do like how Mac and Daisy are becoming friends. Kind of a far cry from their relation during the second half of Season 2 where he was close to wanting to kill her.

Also wait... We have Mac... and Coulson's code name in the comics was Cheese...

Mac and Cheese..!

#ITSALLCONNECTED.

Shield Season 5 Secret Wars confirmed.

Whoa, Agron from Spartacus! Nice to see him in something.

Good episode overall, was worried about Jemma coming back so soon and they've already proven that worry was justified with her 'we have to go back' nonsense.

duckroll

Lincoln runs out the room and the task force gives up. How lazy can you be.

About as lazy as the negotiation between Coulson an Rosaline.

Coulson: Hey, why don't you ask us for help, we know what we're doing!

Rosaline: No, bugger off.

Coulson: Okay, hey if you don't go after Daisy, who is more than capable of taking care of herself and has no life outside of SHIELD and hence is in no danger of having an identity to be exposed, I will let you have the guy we've been trying to track down.

Rosaline: You really are a loser aren't you? Deal.

Coulson: Damn, looks like he got away after all. Well, okay how about erm, we'll help you if you don't arrest her, we know what we're doing!

Rosaline: Okay.

???????????????????

Am I the only one who sees a huge gap in logic here? He wanted to help them deal with the Inhuman problem. She turned him down. He loses all his bargaining chips (why?) and then he offers to help them deal with the Inhuman problem. She accepts and stands down. What is even going on.

Luigi87

Lincoln runs out the room and the task force gives up. How lazy can you be.

Simple order: Either take Lincoln, or Daisy, whichever is more convenient. All Rosaline wanted was results that they could get an Inhuman in custody, didn't matter who.

Am I the only one who sees a huge gap in logic here? He wanted to help them deal with the Inhuman problem. She turned him down. He loses all his bargaining chips (why?) and then he offers to help them deal with the Inhuman problem. She accepts and stands down. What is even going on.

Well isn't it so much that Coulson wasn't initially offering the ATCU help, but instead saying they should back off entirely and let SHIELD deal with everything, and now instead of that SHIELD is working with (or rather in the eyes of the ATCU, working under) the ATCU?

Whoa, Agron from Spartacus! Nice to see him in something.

Good episode overall, was worried about Jemma coming back so soon and they've already proven that worry was justified with her 'we have to go back' nonsense.

It's funny: Hunter is 5'10", which is about average height, yet he looked puny next to Agron. And in Spartacus, Agron didn't seem much bigger than most of the other characters. The show has some huge dudes.

How about that eye candy this episode? Shirtless Hunter, shirtless guy from Spartacus named after a Pokemon, shirtless Lincoln, Daisy with an oddly revealing shirt (where does she shop?), May in leather, Simmons in the shower (eh...)

You would think ATCU would wear some sort of insulation against a guy with electric powers. Too bad Lincoln didn't hide in a power plant.

And why not give them Joey instead of Daisy or Lincoln?

I'm guessing that's the second deal Coulson made to get the soldiers going after Daisy to stand down.

But making any deal is dumb. Yeah, they have Daisy's picture. But they know she's not in any public database and she's part of Shield, so they can't really hunt her down since they can't track Shield. Is Coulson just afraid that Rosalind can eventually do that if given the resources?

And wow, Lincoln was pretty buff, was a bit surprised. All the males in this show have been shirtless. Have we had shirtless Mack yet?

It's funny: Hunter is 5'10", which is about average height, yet he looked puny next to Agron. And in Spartacus, Agron didn't seem much bigger than most of the other characters. The show has some huge dudes.

Yeah, I was shocked how small he looked and let's not even get into how much smaller May looked next to him.

tolkir

Those gaps don't worry me since a lot of episodes ago. I reached the conclusion that I only watch ABC's Marvel and CW's DC Shows for fanservice, if they were original superheroes surely I wouldn't watch them so many seasons.
It's like play Musou games.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Couch co-oping Halo 5? That shit broke my suspension of disbelief.

Several of us were pretty disgruntled about that last night, but now that I think about it, the MCU is basically an alternate timeline that is similar but different from our own. Maybe in their timeline, Halo 5 features couch co-op, making ours truly the darker timeline.

I wish this show would take more chances with its cast. Everything always works out in the end. I hope it turns out that Simmons died on that planet and this is some doppleganger. Though thats a bit close to Illyria from Angels story.

Jackpot

Banned
I wish this show would take more chances with its cast. Everything always works out in the end. I hope it turns out that Simmons died on that planet and this is some doppleganger. Though thats a bit close to Illyria from Angels story.

Hunter Mae thing is going to end in tragedy.

I'm not a fan of this ACTU thing. It's as bad as when Heroes did it.

Neoxon

They made Ward evil & killed off Tripp. Those are some pretty big chances. Though I can see your point as far as Season 3 taking its big chance.

Is Coulson's plan with the ATCU a move to try to legitimize Shield within the American Government before the "Laws of Man" catch up?

Speaking of "Laws of Man", what legislation would they bring up to cause a Civil War? Annexation of Avengers, Shield, etc? Because the comic book version seems really lame.

Sadist

Okay episode. I liked the subplots better. I just don't think Lincoln is that interesting. Making him a forced love interest for Sk- Daisy is a bit meh. Oh well. Subplots however are fun.

- Subtitles during the drunk Brits talk was fun
- "A muppet he is!"
- "Don't tell anyone you got your ass kicked by a small asian woman"
- Fitz and Simmons in the restaurant was cute :3
- Mack and Daisy make a good team.
- Rosalind telling Coulson to look at her was funny.
- Weird deal between Phil and Rosalind though; he doesn't trust them and apprantly he'll go the "but keep your enemies closer" route, but I guess he want access to those corpses on the slabs that were shown in the first ep.
- "Can't wait to meet your boss" Idiot lol
- Simmons pulling a Jack. Wonder what's on the planet.

Raistlin

i thought the romance angle was contrived. She barely knows him and all of a sudden she's in love with him?
Not that I necessarily want a romance angle here, but that doesn't seem right.

Wasn't Skye actually with the Inhumans for a while? And a large chunk of that time was spent training and hanging out with him one on one. So saying she barely knows him doesn't really ring true. And like it or not, they've certainly dropped plenty of hints they've been attracted to each other during that span. Was pretty obvious.

This show isn't structured like 24, it's not always moving linearly through time in quick succession. There can be jumps and Skye spent like half the season with him.
also, i thought Ward's second in command got beaten up badly last ep. He sure healed up fast.
Kind of like the above, you are assuming that Ward stuff happened concurrently with the rest of what was shown. While the Gemma stuff clearly happened in relatively short distance between the two episodes, we have no idea when the Ward things occurred. Remember, there was a 6 month span between when Gemma was taken and when they rescued her last episode. What was shown of Ward could have occurred at any point within. The season opener was a catch up for what's been going on in that time.

It actually should be clear that's the case. The way that dude was talking and the setup of the fights made it obvious it's been going on for a while. Even if they hadn't overly starred it's been a thing, logic says there's no way you could get those fights set up that quickly. But actually they did state this has been going on a while.

It's funny. I think the only thing that could make Lincoln interesting is if he was brought in to the fold as a Secret Warrior and got a chance to have some meaningful interactions and relationships with someone other than Daisy. But they're doing everything in their power to make him avoid that.

jph139

Yeah, I was hoping this episode would give us some progression on the Lincoln front, but he went from "on the run, wary of SHIELD, trusting Daisy" to... on the run, wary of SHIELD, and trusting Daisy.

I mean, we all know where he ends up - why string us along?

Dennis

Banned
Daisy X Lincoln just feels so forced.

Like they feel they have to immediately pair her off with someone after the whole Ward deal.

Skrimmons needs to go back for new orders.

farisr

Simmons isn't brain-damaged, she's traumatized. PTSD. One shot of hand-holding doesn't mean a role-reversal. My guess is that she'll "have to go back" somehow.

Wow, great guess. This post deserves a cookie.
cookie26proyosei.gif
Daisy X Lincoln just feels so forced.

Like they feel they have to immediately pair her off with someone after the whole Ward deal.
It's been more than a season since Ward and Skye. Not immediate at all. There were some hints of Daisy & Lincoln last season. It's just that the chemistry is not all that great.

Loke13

Wow, great guess. This post deserves a cookie.
cookie26proyosei.gif
It's been more than a season since Ward and Skye. Not immediate at all. There were some hints of Daisy & Lincoln last season. It's just that the chemistry is not all that great.
Yeah seriously it's not like she spent the season pining after Ward she was done with him before the season finale of season and her sex last season was largely void of any romantic interest focusing more on her familial connections.

inky

Couldn't give less of a shit about all the Lincoln stuff. He can die and give Skye some more character development for all I care. Coulson still acting like a man with a plan bothers me when the next scene reveals he has no plan at all. Not sure if half that is intentional but for a "sure of himself company man" he fumbles around a lot.

Weak episode, but it's a lot of setup so fine, I forgive them.

I liked the episode, but I agree that Coulson's deal with Rosalind didn't make much sense, until you consider:

Rosalind wants control over the scenario. Allowing Coulson to do all the work means she's useless and doesn't have any control. So him agreeing to work with/for them isn't all that far-fetched when that angle is considered. Then when you consider Daisy, my guess is that he needs someone off the grid. It's not so much protecting Daisy as a daughter, but as an off-the-grid asset that precisely zero people know about. Rosalind made a ridiculously huge stink about Lincoln. What would she do with Daisy? She makes a huge stink out of what is currently one of Coulson's top assets and focuses and it could break the whole thing. Plus her ace that she keeps is revealed, so now all her cards are on the table and Coulson's are clearly not, which means he knows everything and she knows jack. Currently anyways.

Bottom line is Coulson is working towards a much larger goal here, so I'll buy it for now.

Tomodachi

I agree, her accepting Coulson's offer makes sense at the end, but it's the line of thought behind it that is illogical. She already turned him off and was very hostile, now she agrees to meeting him alone (well of course they can always claim there's tons of shield and actu agents hidden nearby) and then accepts every single offer he propose.
Or maybe they'll explain their agreement better in later episodes, as is often the case when stuff in this series makes no sense at all.

EDIT: by the way what's with Hunter's hair? Eww. And I wished for more shirtless Hunter but man he's thin. Looked better in the previous season.

I thought Rosalind was Demi Moore for a moment the first time she showed up in the season premiere. I haven't seen current day Demi in anything and it's been a pretty long time.

RE: Lincoln

The problem is that they really want us to care about him but he's done nothing to warrant that yet. It actually mirrors some of the issues they had back in season 1 when they introduced a whole new cast of characters and started positioning them like the audience had already grown attached when in reality we had no reason to. When the initial cast started to gel and the chemistry began to build, that's when it started feeling like a group of characters worth being invested in, and unfortunately for Lincoln, he really doesn't have believable chemistry with anyone currently (he's had almost no opportunity to build any), and primarily saddling him with Daisy feels very forced. (Even in Joey's single appearance, he's already had more believable and engaging interactions with Daisy and Mack.) Lincoln is too cut off from everyone else, and trading on his good looks is not enough to prop him up. They need to let him actually interact with other characters beyond Daisy, because he's doing her arc no favors, and it serves his character very little beyond a trite romantic sub-plot. Even in the Inhuman camp, almost all his scenes were tailing Daisy around. He doesn't have the charisma/presence of Ward, so having him be so isolated from every other major character is not in his best interests.

They need to think back on how they introduced Mack, Bobbi and Hunter. They were immediately successful due to the fact that they let the characters live beyond their pre-set role of "outsiders". (It also helped immensely that all three actors have a very natural rapport with pretty much everyone on the team.) SHIELD is so strong now because it has embraced being an ensemble cast, and that's something they should definitely keep at the core going forward.

Top Bottom