• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

It's explained to basically be the inner layers of the planet, which are so hot that it can keep the planet warm enough for humans to survive on it despite it being a near eternal night.

Well, yeah but I get the impression there is something more to it than just that. Hence Simmon's curiosity.

duckroll

You know, the alien planet really is Lost. There's a "smoke monster" of sorts who can take on the form of other people and is described as "evil" and "death". There's an underground hatch. There's a glowing light in the heart of the underground which is a sort of special power source. The only way to get in and out of the place is by calculating complex meta-science shit because the portal's opening is "moving". And finally.... "we have to go back". Lol.

You know, if you knew that there was a NASA astronaut who had been stranded on an alien planet behind a portal for over a decade and he was still out there being hunted by some alien monster, and you choose NOT to want to try and save him just because he banged the girl you like, that would be a real douche move. :p

Which leads me to wonder why she didn't scream first thing that they had left Mike behind when they got back. It's been at least several weeks now that Mike has been left for dead and she's only now getting around to telling someone that.

You know, the alien planet really is Lost. There's a "smoke monster" of sorts who can take on the form of other people and is described as "evil" and "death". There's an underground hatch. There's a glowing light in the heart of the underground which is a sort of special power source. The only way to get in and out of the place is by calculating complex meta-science shit because the portal's opening is "moving". And finally.... "we have to go back". Lol.

Yeah, I was thinking this last night. Despite the obvious there are definitely little bits and pieces that reminded me of LOST.

Except the ending made sense?

jph139

Yeah, he's Astronaut Mike Dexter. He doesn't get an actual name until he actually starts to matter - like when Discount Dwayne Johnson evolved into Mack.

strafer

Remember when Fitz were all like yelling and stuff? I bet he regrets it now.

5myupDZ.gif

guek

Banned
Simmons getting knocked up would be the most soap opera thing ever in the history of the show. Notsureifwant.gif

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
And I bet LT. Astrodick worked for Hydra. Knowingly or unknowingly

He mentioned a "small group" at NASA being the driving force behind their mission through the portal, so that was my thought as well.

Karu

Boring episode. While ambitious in concept by SHIELD-standards, it ended up being rather boring and unambitious. Glad we are getting back regular SHIELD next week.

Fitz/Simmons-trolling annoys me to no end, but it is quite hilarious.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
You know, if you knew that there was a NASA astronaut who had been stranded on an alien planet behind a portal for over a decade and he was still out there being hunted by some alien monster, and you choose NOT to want to try and save him just because he banged the girl you like, that would be a real douche move. :p

Yes. Thankfully Fitz is a classy dude who knows what to do.

There's also the whole "sickness" part. Will is the male version of the French woman and Simmons will give birth to a baby that gets kidnapped by Ward.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So I was watching this episode with my brother and sister and now neither of them like Simmons, haha. My brother even said that if he were Fitz he'd refuse to help get the astronaut back.

Chariot

So I was watching this episode with my brother and sister and now neither of them like Simmons, haha. My brother even said that if he were Fitz he'd refuse to help get the astronaut back.
This mindset that Fitz "earned" her is a bit weird. She's a woman, not a customer loyalty card.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This mindset that Fitz "earned" her is a bit weird. She's a woman, not a customer loyalty card.

As I mentioned earlier, I really don't think that's the mindset most people are coming from. There's a pretty large gulf between "she is supposed to want him and only him because he does things for her" and the show actually going out of its way to show how important these two people are to each other in order to get the audience invested in their relationship, then the audience reacting to obstacles that get in the way of that relationship.

Toki767

I was definitely wondering how Will knew about Shield. He asked whether they were real, but they weren't even really a thing the public knew about until the first Iron Man movie which was in 2008.

So he's most likely Hydra.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Oh god, now I want them to go back and had a face-off with the shadow figure, and they're like, "Who are you?!" The figure removes his hood and its Michael Emerson and he just says, "We're the good guys, Simmons."

Also, in a completely unrelated scene, Henry Ian Cusick hits Terry O'Quinn with a car.

Begaria

Why does anyone like Simmons and why does Fitz even like her anymore at this point?

1. He nearly gets himself killed saving her life when Grant tries to kill them, Simmons does nothing to reciprocate Fitz feelings

2. Fitz has a mental issue for most of the next season and Simmons leaves to take on a mission without ever reciprocating Fitz feelings

3. Finally, when Simmons does start reciprocating his feelings, she gets sucked into a portal and transported - I'll give her a bit leeway on this

4. She spends months on this planet, still holding on to those feelings, when Fitz has been trying to get her to come around for years, only to completely flip around in one moment of despair

5. Fitz saves her life and all she can think is, "I gotta get Will back!" - I'll give her the benefit of the doubt for right now that she's doing it purely to save him because they kept each other in check, and not because that a mere month or two of having feelings for this guy suddenly supersedes years of courting by Fitz.

I don't like Simmons all that much, and I hate, hate, HATE, love triangles. Worse romantic plot devices ever.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
As I mentioned earlier, I really don't think that's the mindset most people are coming from. There's a pretty large gulf between "she is supposed to want him and only him because he does things for her" and the show actually going out of its way to show how important these two people are to each other in order to get the audience invested in their relationship, then the audience reacting to obstacles that get in the way of that relationship.

I like to compare their situation to a castaway, or someone left home while their SO is MIA during war or something. She moved on/needed companionship and never thought she'd see him again. Can't really hold that against her, I don't think.

Chariot

So angry shippers?

Also look at this argumentation, it's pretty much what I was referring to:

Why does anyone like Simmons and why does Fitz even like her anymore at this point?

1. He nearly gets himself killed saving her life when Grant tries to kill them, Simmons does nothing to reciprocate Fitz feelings

2. Fitz has a mental issue for most of the next season and Simmons leaves to take on a mission without ever reciprocating Fitz feelings

3. Finally, when Simmons does start reciprocating his feelings, she gets sucked into a portal and transported - I'll give her a bit leeway on this

4. She spends months on this planet, still holding on to those feelings, when Fitz has been trying to get her to come around for years, only to completely flip around in one moment of despair

5. Fitz saves her life and all she can think is, "I gotta get Will back!" - I'll give her the benefit of the doubt for right now that she's doing it purely to save him because they kept each other in check, and not because that a mere month or two of having feelings for this guy suddenly supersedes years of courting by Fitz.

I don't like Simmons all that much, and I hate, hate, HATE, love triangles. Worse romantic plot devices ever.

Anoregon

I like to compare their situation to a castaway, or someone left home while their SO is MIA during war or something. She moved on/needed companionship and never thought she'd see him again. Can't really hold that against her, I don't think.

I don't really hold anything against her; they could rescue Astronaut Mike Dexter and she and him run away and get married and live happily ever after and that would totally be fine and her prerogative. That doesn't mean it doesn't still totally suck for Fitz, though.

So angry shippers?

Also look at this argumentation, it's pretty much what I was referring to:

Again, this is a pretty easy dismissal given the actual context of the show. It's not like the viewers just want things to be the way they want because of their own internal reasons; this is a work of fiction that is written, directed, and acted a specific, intentional way. The audience is supposed to root for Fitz and Simmons getting together. It is a deliberate creative choice by the people making the show. Given the content of the last episode and the episode where Simmons is rescued, that's not really something that is up for debate at this point.

That other post you quoted though... yeah, that is certainly unfortunate timing for the point I am trying to make, lol.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I don't really hold anything against her; they could rescue Astronaut Mike Dexter and she and him run away and get married and live happily ever after and that would totally be fine and her prerogative. That doesn't mean it doesn't still totally suck for Fitz, though.

Oh, absolutely. Fitz can't catch a break.

The bolded statement above is so ludicrous that I'm almost thinking your entire post is sarcasm. "A bit of leeway" because she was sucked through an interplanetary portal in a freak accident?

Your post is, for some strange reason, assuming that she should reciprocate Fitz's feelings in order for "anyone to like her." Are you kidding me? Thinking that Simmons has to reciprocate his feelings because Fitz has acted to help his friend in the past is some gross, quid pro quo bullshit. I completely understand wanting the two to end up together given the characters' previous arcs, but people need to get out of here with the entitlement crap.

As for the episode itself, I thought it was great. The show acted outside of its comfort zone and pretty clearly succeeded.

SRG01

The thing is that there has to be a payoff for Fitz in terms of character development or something by the end of this season... otherwise, there's no sense of catharsis for the character and he'll simply exist for the writers to troll :/

Chariot

Again, this is a pretty easy dismissal given the actual context of the show. It's not like the viewers just want things to be the way they want because of their own internal reasons; this is a work of fiction that is written, directed, and acted a specific, intentional way. The audience is supposed to root for Fitz and Simmons getting together. It is a deliberate creative choice by the people making the show. Given the content of the last episode and the episode where Simmons is rescued, that's not really something that is up for debate at this point.

That other post you quoted though... yeah, that is certainly unfortunate timing for the point I am trying to make, lol.
Ah, but I see what you are saying. I was always under the impression that this was deliberate inversion where they are going for the angle that Simmons really don't see more than a bestie in Fitz and Fitz is learning to cope with it. As opposed to the usual guy gets girl angle. But they really did beat on that subplot a long time now, so I don't know where this is going in the end.

Moondrop

Banned
I think one thing people may be overlooking is that Simmons gave up hope of rescue after the canyon incident. It was the one spot she had calculated a portal opening with her remaining battery power. When she saw the flare, she wasn't trying to get home at that point; she had calculated a momentary sunrise.

Fitz is the best character on the show.

Anoregon

The thing is that there has to be a payoff for Fitz in terms of character development or something by the end of this season... otherwise, there's no sense of catharsis for the character and he'll simply exist for the writers to troll :/

Yeah, that's why I'm hoping for Bobbi and Hunter inviting him and Skye for the first annual SHIELD transatlantic Orgy.

I think one thing people may be overlooking is that Simmons gave up hope of rescue after the canyon incident. It was the one spot she had calculated a portal opening with her remaining battery power. When she saw the flare, she wasn't trying to get home at that point; she had calculated a momentary sunrise.

Fitz is the best character on the show.

Yeah, that is a good point. It's kind of the turning point where she gives up believing she will ever see Fitz again (which is what she was holding onto up until that point) and gave into the innate astronaut lust present in all women/humans.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I mean you can blame the writers for stringing along this plot all this time and just when there seems that there's gonna be a payoff swerve to the side. That's a fair complaint, I guess.

I honestly don't really like romance subplots almost ever, so I kinda do wish they'd resolve this whole thing. Also dislike what's-his-face and Skaisy. That's super forced.

jph139

The fact that their relationship has to be romantic to be valuable is where the disconnect is, I think. Fitz can still "outrank" Astronaut Mike Dexter on the "people Simmons cares about" list, even if the former relationship is platonic and the latter is romantic. I'm 99% sure that's the case.

I mean, the show is definitely stringing alone the will-they-or-wont't-they drama too long. But if it all ends up as "Fitz and Simmons have a very deep, very powerful friendship," I don't think it will be any less fulfilling. For me at least.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

I like Simmons because she's more than just an object of love and affection. She's a well realised character.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah, I want to be clear.

Simmons did absolutely nothing wrong here.

There's no reason for me to dislike her character. She hasn't wronged Fitz in any way.

Top Bottom