• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

Quick

Banned
They could do some serious Interstellar-type shit with the time difference.

"Simmons, you're...actually 101-years-old."

inky

Yeah, he looked too young to me, AVClub pointed out he was 31, which definitely explained the issue - his character should really be in his mid-late '30s. I assumed they were going to use some sort of time dilation explanation...until they didn't.

But really, it's only "2001" for the gag/reference.

I assumed that as well. When they showed a bit of his equipment the first time I swear it looked like a C64 keyboard in there and then he said "2001" and I thought to myself, that wasn't that long ago why does it look so old and him so young?, but then I also thought to myself, holy fuck that was 15 years ago so it's no chump change of time really. Young people think 30 year olds are ancients, so it kinda works for them I guess.

Should really be someone in his 40s tho.

Good episode, but it doesn't beat (flash spoiler)
a giant Shark-man.

Also the theory of how the portal appears was nonsense if you have any clue how fast a planet turns.

So what's the speculation on what the thing in the sandstorm was?

It's obviously something that transforms, but what could it be?

Lash, it was the future not another planet.

jmood88

The thing is that there has to be a payoff for Fitz in terms of character development or something by the end of this season... otherwise, there's no sense of catharsis for the character and he'll simply exist for the writers to troll :/
A relationship isn't character development. He has changed plenty over the course of the series without getting with Simmons.

guek

Banned
I know! people are so fucked over this.

Like, the alternative is being an awful human being which Fitz clearly isn't. but no, "let's prop him up for deciding not to be a jealous sociopath which he totally deserves to be for saving Gemma."

I think what makes Fitz's actions commendable is that he didn't throw an initial hissy fit like people were expecting. He immediately sprung to action instead of taking time to come to grips with the news. At the same time, the performance by Caestecker fantastically conveyed a sense of impact. This clearly affected Fitz on a personal level but not enough to cloud his judgement. I think that's better than how most people would initially react. It would have been understandable if he had needed some time to think things through but the fact that he didn't was pretty cool.

I think we can attribute Simmons' silence about Will to a plot device. They needed a twist when she wanted to go back, and another twist as to how she survived.

So what's the speculation on what the thing in the sandstorm was?

It's obviously something that transforms, but what could it be?

Well Luke wasn't in The Force Awakens trailer.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I was trying to say that the age he is now could have been how old he was when he signed up, and he just has barely aged since arrival do to space fuckery.

Oh, I got ya. True.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
If Stark can create a sentient Robot AI then I think Fitz can muster up a super battery

There was also that episode where that Donnie Gill needed to lure Fitz to the academy to solve his power issue. It's not surprising that he would have invented a super battery.

guek

Banned
AoS last night scored an initial rating of 1.4, down a tenth from last week. It had to compete with the world series though so a bunch of stuff was a bit lower this week.

SeppOCE

What was bad about it? It was a tad predictable but the execution was excellent. Simmons had to be broken down and hopeless before she accepted her fate and let herself be with him. Everything about the episode felt like a reasonable series of events that eventually lead to two people completely depending on each other. Unlike Flash, the writing itself was superb. There wasn't a single wasted scene this episode.

"You're dinner, biatch!" is the best scene of the show this season.

I just feel like it could have been executed or even slightly written a better way. They didn't have to have the obligatory and painfully obvious "LETS HAVE SEX" scene or a torturous slide show of how they're growing closer and closer. I would have much preferred another generic aspect to Will (I think his name was?) something like he has a wife and son at home and they've probably given up on him, or so he thinks, instead of the two lost humans falling in love and getting it on. I get that they're human and all but this whole episode was definitely what the lowest form of creator could come up with. Nothing about it pushed any boundaries or tried to approach it in a new way it was completely what you could expect and it's what a shit tonne of people expected. I was just too naive to believe the writers would use an idea that bad so it's my fault for expecting anything else from TV I suppose.

Omega

Banned
This mindset that Fitz "earned" her is a bit weird. She's a woman, not a customer loyalty card.

for me at least the whole thing is dumb because she's holding onto her phone and basically all she talks about is Fitz. a few weeks later he goes back to being less than the gum at the bottom of her shoes

These relationship subplots are dumb as hell in general. I don't really care that Fitz got friendzoned, just that it's dumb lazy writing. It was annoying in Arrow, annoying in Flash and even more annoying here.

There's no reason why this storyline couldn't work with them just being friends and her wanting to go back because she doesn't want to leave a friend that's been stuck on that planet for 15 years and helped her survive for 6 months

Chariot

for me at least the whole thing is dumb because she's holding onto her phone and basically all she talks about is Fitz. a few weeks later he goes back to being less than the gum at the bottom of her shoes

These relationship subplots are dumb as hell in general. I don't really care that Fitz got friendzoned, just that it's dumb lazy writing. It was annoying in Arrow, annoying in Flash and even more annoying here.

There's no reason why this storyline couldn't work with them just being friends and her wanting to go back because she doesn't want to leave a friend that's been stuck on that planet for 15 years and helped her survive for 6 months
They really need Fitz to move on. Simmons already told him "no" multiple times. What is she supposed to do, flee her workplace? Ash HR to remove Fitz? She doesn't want to weaken the team or to hurt Fitz, but he doesn't stop pursuing.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
They really need Fitz to move on. Simmons already told him "no" multiple times. What is she supposed to do, flee her workplace? Ash HR to remove Fitz? She doesn't want to weaken the team or to hurt Fitz, but he doesn't stop pursuing.

She told him yes just before getting sucked in the portal. There has been lots of evidence she had developed feelings for him as well including her first few months on the planet.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

It was shown quite clearly, numerous times that she loved Fitz throughout this episode until there was 10 minutes to go and she forgot all about that.

guek

Banned
I just feel like it could have been executed or even slightly written a better way. They didn't have to have the obligatory and painfully obvious "LETS HAVE SEX" scene or a torturous slide show of how they're growing closer and closer. I would have much preferred another generic aspect to Will (I think his name was?) something like he has a wife and son at home and they've probably given up on him, or so he thinks, instead of the two lost humans falling in love and getting it on. I get that they're human and all but this whole episode was definitely what the lowest form of creator could come up with. Nothing about it pushed any boundaries or tried to approach it in a new way it was completely what you could expect and it's what a shit tonne of people expected. I was just too naive to believe the writers would use an idea that bad so it's my fault for expecting anything else from TV I suppose.

There was a slideshow?

Will himself was a bit one dimensional, that much I'll give you. But considering he was introduced in the back half of a single episode, I thought they did well enough to flesh out his character and backstory. Your only real complaint seems to be that it was predictable, which is a fair assessment, but I don't believe that automatically means the execution or writing was poor. Everyone knew going in that Simmons was going to get back home, the real question was how she survived and what was chasing her the first time we saw the planet. Simmons was the focus of the episode, not Will or even the mysterious creature. I thought her arc was incredibly well rounded, with her cycle of pain, fear, hope, and eventual acceptance conveyed in a compelling manner.

It could have been a lot lazier than what they ended up doing. The episode pushed plenty of boundaries with Simmons' character, even if it didn't do much else in the way of surprising us with its plot.

I'd agree if Simmons hadn't been written as indecisive and ambivalent on the issue for the latter half of season two (not to mention half this episode). That particular character arc is voluntarily ambiguous to keep the rollercoaster going, which can make her look at times like she's somehow a prize to be won.

It's really dumb drama IMO. I like rooting for Fitz because he's grown as a character, but yeah, they have to resolve and put the lid on it soon. The worst thing they could bring back from that planet isn't the smoke monster, it's an already annoying love triangle.

Chariot

She told him yes just before getting sucked in the portal. There has been lots of evidence she had developed feelings for him as well including her first few months on the planet.

It was shown quite clearly, numerous times that she loved Fitz throughout this episode until there was 10 minutes to go and she forgot all about that.
Sure you could read that out the footage. But you can also just see it as friendship. The two of them have obviously something special, but I still think she likes him more like an brother or a bestie.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sure you could read that out the footage. But you can also just see it as friendship. The two of them have obviously something special, but I still think she likes him more like an brother or a bestie.

Or she feels for him, but eventually gave up hope of getting back home and in a moment of weakness after the missed message in a bottle, breaks down and succumbs to physical temptation and comfort.

She may still have feelings for fitz. Likely the show will keep annoying us with 'will they won't they' for a while yet.

Top Bottom