• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

Maybe it's just because he's a sexy astronaut, but Henstridge and Mike Dexter managed to exude good believable chemistry after just one episode.

Which really contrasts with the awful, forced Inhuman romantic subplot.

Also, I'm glad they're not pursuing a Fitz/Simmons romance, in which the Simmons side also felt forced. In a life or death situation he confessed his feelings and she didn't reciprocate - welcome to the real world, where being a nice guy doesn't guarantee you sex. I don't entirely remember how they explained her coming around to the idea of a romantic relationship, but even the attempt to portray romantic as opposed to familial attachment to him in this episode didn't really strike a chord with me.
And people who are angry at the character are morons.

Johndoey

Banned
If you think the romantic subplot won't rear up again I think you're in for disappointment.

As much as I hope it won't happen chances are the dude dies or is an twelfth level alien evil or something.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I liked the episode, but I do think that having a capable hot dude stranded there was quite the uninspired writing choice for dealing with Jemma's situation of being on another planet for months.

It had pretty good execution for what it was and the actors did a great job, but I can't help but agree with the notion that it felt unambitious.

Xion385

Here's what's going to happen.

They get Will back, but the real Will is dead. Smoke monster is actually Will. Fitz takes a bullet for Simmons. Simmons has no choice but to kill Smoke Monster Will. Will dies. Jemma tends to Fitz and finally returns feelings for him. Fitz wakes up from recovery, but tells Jemma that every time he tried to save her he always almost gets killed. Fitz tells her he's letting her go and moving on to Bobbi/Daisy. Simmons is shattered.

Boom. That's how you stretch out a storyline Nicholas Sparks style.

I'm sure it will.
The astronaut will die.
Fitz consoles her.
They end up together.

Internet rejoices, able to live vicariously.
My wife wants them to get together more than I do. In fact, she's way more in favor. I guess this is where all there fedora/beard jokes lose me. Is it really an either/or?

I'm convinced we could end racism before the FitzSimmons divide..I'm ALMOST serious after this episode..

Fuu

You know, the alien planet really is Lost. There's a "smoke monster" of sorts who can take on the form of other people and is described as "evil" and "death". There's an underground hatch. There's a glowing light in the heart of the underground which is a sort of special power source. The only way to get in and out of the place is by calculating complex meta-science shit because the portal's opening is "moving". And finally.... "we have to go back". Lol.
lol damn. It really was.

Johndoey

Banned
My wife wants them to get together more than I do. In fact, she's way more in favor. I guess this is where all there fedora/beard jokes lose me. Is it really an either/or?

I'm convinced we could end racism before the FitzSimmons divide..I'm ALMOST serious after this episode..
Ladies usually give the strongest shipping push in my experience. He said in a another installment of tales from my butt.

Is it possible that was Mistress Death on that planet?
Are you also shipping Ward/Death fellow compatriot?
Also I doubt it.

kirblar

You know, the alien planet really is Lost. There's a "smoke monster" of sorts who can take on the form of other people and is described as "evil" and "death". There's an underground hatch. There's a glowing light in the heart of the underground which is a sort of special power source. The only way to get in and out of the place is by calculating complex meta-science shit because the portal's opening is "moving". And finally.... "we have to go back". Lol.
Given all the other meta-references in the episode, this can't be an accident.

Basically nothing. But seriously I do doubt it's Death this kind of long term torment would be outside of her usual MO.

Yeah it probably isn't, I just for the life me cant think of anything in the Marvel Universe that lines up with this thing. I guess it could be a new invention for the show

Fuu

lel

TS8FzQu.png

EzXvFQd.png

Africanus

I doubt anyone else had this thought, but I at first believed the mystery astronaut man was him.
Agents-of-SHIELD-S109-Repairs-Tobias-Ford.png

If we will recall, in the episode "Repairs" the random dematerializing man described his location as "Hell".

The planet was eerily similar as well.
197qi75uns6cdjpg.jpg

It wasn't him however. My question is, what happened to Tobias? SHIELD just let this random guy disappear forever without trying to save him.

I doubt anyone else had this thought, but I at first believed the mystery astronaut man was him.
Agents-of-SHIELD-S109-Repairs-Tobias-Ford.png

If we will recall, in the episode "Repairs" the random dematerializing man described his location as "Hell".

The planet was eerily similar as well.
197qi75uns6cdjpg.jpg

It wasn't him however. My question is, what happened to Tobias? SHIELD just let this random guy disappear forever without trying to save him.
Hate to be the dude..I mentioned it was the same planet. The fact that "Hell" was brought up yesterday gave me a laugh. Can't say I thought it was him. As far as I'm concerned tho, it's the same planet. I'll have to dig up the post..wasn't too long ago.

here's what will happen. Will gets possessed by cloak dude. Cloak dude tags along as Will is rescued. Will and Simmons have relationship. Will kills people without knowing it. Team figures out its him. He also starts to remember what he was doing while unconscious. Cloak dude can't be killed without killing Will. Will dies as a noble sacrifice. Simmons and Fitz are on again as a thing. turns out cloak dude was actually protecting the universe from a much greater evil being born. Greater evil possesses Simmons but is more nihilistic than evil. Simmons body is still alive but her soul and personality are gone replaced only with that of the ancient being.

Magwik

Banned
here's what will happen. Will gets possessed by cloak dude. Cloak dude tags along as Will is rescued. Will and Simmons have relationship. Will kills people without knowing it. Team figures out its him. He also starts to remember what he was doing while unconscious. Cloak dude can't be killed without killing Will. Will dies as a noble sacrifice. Simmons and Fitz are on again as a thing. turns out cloak dude was actually protecting the universe from a much greater evil being born. Greater evil possesses Simmons but is more nihilistic than evil. Simmons body is still alive but her soul and personality are gone replaced only with that of the ancient being.

We are supposed to subvert tropes, not wank them off

Zero-ELEC

Banned

At what point did AoS become Buffy?

Africanus

Hate to be the dude..I mentioned it was the same planet. The fact that "Hell" was brought up yesterday gave me a laugh. Can't say I thought it was him. As far as I'm concerned tho, it's the same planet. I'll have to dig up the post..wasn't too long ago.

Haha I didn't see that!

I wonder if he was one of the people who died to that mysterious being.

Volimar

She was actually on the planet from Star Trek V and the astronaut was just the God thing trying to use her to get off the planet.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I saw this episode of Angel

So many pages about Simmons, Will, and Fitz. Haven't seen anyone mention their reaction to Simmons eatkng a raw alien life form and drinking alien water.

inky

So many pages about Simmons, Will, and Fitz. Haven't seen anyone mention their reaction to Simmons eatkng a raw alien life form and drinking alien water.

It was pretty standard survival montage stuff. Her makeshift spear was actually pretty bad, all things considered.

Khaz

Oh, there is one thing I disliked:

They said the appearance of the portal is linked to the planets alignment. Simmons is able to compute relatively easily when the following portal will appear. Yet they said the monolith liquifying on earth was seemingly random, that they could find no pattern at all (Fitz even reiterated on the idea in another episode, and he looked really closely).

But planets rotations and general astral interactions are not something random, each can be represented by an equation and galactic events can be extrapolated really easily. In fact, finding that there is a pattern (=non-random) in the heavens is the first scientific thing we as a species ever did millenias ago, and was replicated several times independently by different cultures.

If the portal openings was commanded by something as simple as planetary interactions (and it was, Simmons used that theory successfully), then a pattern would have emerged right away. People on Earth may not have understood it was linked to celestial bodies moving somewhere in the universe, but the equation would have popped like immediately.

And for shame, Simmons, abandoning all hope as soon as your computer runs out of juice. Pen and paper is all you need to do your maths. Much slower and less convenient, but still doable.

This was like the entire last season of both Buffy and Angel come to think of it.

I don't think either of those involved one half the pairing being a book smart dude who later shows himself to be kind of badass when you see his dedication. Pretty sure, the girl wasn't a fellow nerd that the dude had spent the better part of two seasons pining over either.

Nor were there any love triangles involving a charismatic other good guy.

Johndoey

Banned
I don't think either of those involved one half the pairing being a book smart dude who later shows himself to be kind of badass when you see his dedication. Pretty sure, the girl wasn't a fellow nerd that the dude had spent the better part of two seasons pining over either.

Nor were there any love triangles involving a charismatic other good guy.

Less a comment on Aos relating to Buffy and Angel and more of stream of consciousness about Buffy and Angel.

inky

Oh, there is one thing I disliked:

I kinda pondered that too. They had data from 3 independent events and a way to still measure the movements of the stars that didn't rely on a computer, so she could've at least tried again. She was able to predict the sunrise later on, wasn't she?

But the episode was filled with small details like that. For example, when they see the chasm, they lose hope because it was this big, impassable barrier, but the portal appears and disappears so fast when they get there that they can't even send the bottle through, so even if it was 30m like they were expecting they wouldn't have made it in time.

Also, I know she was pretty desperate when drinking the water and stuff, but it was a small, stagnate water source in the middle of nowhere. She didn't even try to purify it before drinking it. In the wild, let alone an alien planet that can pretty much be a way to guarantee death,as it can make you dehydrate even faster (due to the nasty diarrhea it could provoke).

The episode was more about the themes than getting all the details right, so it didn't really bother me, but something is gonna be off every time.

Being legit though, AoS will probably drag out FitzSimmons for as long as possible because its their largest shipping community which means can't resolve either way. Don't want to kill it too early cause it'll drive fans away. Don't want them getting together cause it kills tension for that pairing.

Johndoey

Banned
Being legit though, AoS will probably drag out FitzSimmons for as long as possible because its their largest shipping community which means can't resolve either way. Don't want to kill it too early cause it'll drive fans away. Don't want them getting together cause it kills tension for that pairing.

We'll still be talking about when the season finale rolls around at the very least.

Khaz

Also, I know she was pretty desperate when drinking the water and stuff, but it was a small, stagnate water source in the middle of nowhere. She didn't even try to purify it before drinking it. In the wild, let alone an alien planet that can pretty much be a way to guarantee death,as it can make you dehydrate even faster (due to the nasty diarrhea it could provoke).

It didn't bother me much that she just drank it. She was really thirsty and on the verge of dying from dehydration. Also filtering it with sand and shit wouldn't have make it more drinkable, you can't filter out harmful bacteria without the proper tools, the dirt in the water just gives it a weird colour and terrible taste.

What bothered me however is that she should have been much more careful about that small pond. Maybe I've watched too many wildlife documentaries, but the first thing I thought was alien crocodiles. Jemma the gazelle should have been on her toes while drinking, and certainly not freaking swimming in it!

Top Bottom