• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

anaron

O RLY

Most contrived and cliche hook-up ever. Stranded and alone. Until she meets handsome buff astronaut.
no one is arguing it's some groundbreaking angle, they're arguing that they buy their relationship through sexual chemistry and it's true.

FitzSimmons have wonderful platonic chemistry. as a couple it's gross to imagine them in bed.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
To be fair it's always gross to imagine a pair of british people fucking.

inky

Fitz just needs to get a girlfriend to show Simmons what she's missing out on and make her jelly. That always works!
I really don't give too much of a shit either way.

To be fair it's always gross to imagine a pair of british people fucking.
vDMw4FU.png

Cuburt

Most of the article doesn't seem to even give many reasons why they should never hook up but rather tries to speculate how the show can work if they don't and respond to internet backlash.

In fact, the point about stuff like Fitz turning into a sad sack is exactly why the scenario can play out poorly written whether they end up together or not, because relationship dynamics on TV shows can easily fall into trite tropes, no matter how they begin.

I will say that AoS has done a good job at developing Fitz and Simmons separately since the first season, so the "brother/sister" comparisons about their dynamic don't ring true to me since they are more nuanced and have different perspectives on things now but a much stronger emotional bond they have developed.

Sure the sexual chemistry stuff is true, for now, but it's also because these are fictional characters that are written in a way as not to have a flirty sexual tension between them. I remember a deleted scene where Jemma tells Skye that how they used to be rivals and really competitive in the academy before they became friends. I think there is still another side to their friendship that we haven't seen.

Also, this isn't just some fan-shipping, the writers have obviously put lots into riding along on this arc (and possibly done some things with the characters to make an eventual pairing more believable) that I have to believe that it is going somewhere. Even if they don't end up together, I don't think the end result will be was simple as fans are making it out to be. It's not just that Jemma has/never has had feelings for Fitz and that's the end of the discussion, it's more complicated than that. The show has also made it a point of showing things more from Fitz' perspective than showing it from Simmons, which has made it more ambiguous whether she has feelings for Fitz, but has also unfortunately meant it's cut down on some potential character development moments for her. This latest episode seems to have both given Simmons more development and gave more insight into her feelings for Fitz, as well as another man. I don't really recall any moments like that for her character on the show before that. Even her feelings for Trip were kind of kept vague in the moment, and it was more alluded to, as well as her reactions after he died, that gave insight into how she might have felt stronger for him than she expressed on-screen.

D i Z

I found this episode to be underwhelming. I kind of feel that they dropped the ball completely on doing other worldly stuff on another world. They really didn't need to curb it all into the mundane and could have added so much more. Oh well.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Is it not extreme circumstances of Fitz acting territorial about anyone getting close to Simmonds?

#TeamFuckFitz

That's exactly the opposite of what happened at the end of this episode, though...

Cuburt

We all saw how he acted with Tripp. Tried to run him out of town like presumably he did to all the other better guys before.

#TrippWasWronged

It's possible that Tripp was the first guy Simmons started to like, that Fitz had been around to see, and that's why he got jealous but didn't admit to himself that he had feelings for her, until he started to realize it was it was the first time he was confronted with the possibility that she'd be more interested in giving attention to someone else.

Fitz is allowed to grow and maybe his reaction at the end of this latest episode is him being more aware, more matured, and making a different decision in reaction to his emotions about the situation.

Anoregon

People who watch TV shows are terrible.

It's possible that Tripp was the first guy Simmons started to like, that Fitz had been around to see, and that's why he got jealous but didn't admit to himself that he had feelings for her, until he started to realize it was it was the first time he was confronted with the possibility that she'd be more interested in giving attention to someone else.

Fitz is allowed to grow and maybe his reaction at the end of this latest episode is him being more aware, more matured, and making a different decision in reaction to his emotions about the situation.

This is far too reasonable and logical a conclusion. And it's not as funny as making a bunch of "lol beta, friendzoned for life" jokes.

The Hermit

I hated this episode so much. On one hand it dealed with "stranded on another world" like few other shows or even movies. Her scenes when she was alone were perfect.

The they put a completly predictable story of "another person of the other sex in the same situation only longer so they don't feel lonely."

Which only makes worse because the cliffhanger of last season and the whole beginning were about the monolith, the mystery, the struggle to open and...well.

Like duckrol said, it really felt like Lost, and that's really bad

Korigama

So, shipping discussion is still a thing in here...

Honestly, it was a mistake for the writers to even bother having Simmons suddenly be interested in Fitz at the last second during season 2's finale if they were just going to go in this direction. This episode introduced something that will just result in more needless melodrama as that subplot goes on, all while treading old ground for Fitz after he appeared to finally be getting over her and amounting to something more than a dogged nice guy as the last season progressed (i.e., him saying "You want to talk about this NOW?" when she informed him of her change of heart in the middle of mission preparations during the previous finale).

Personally, I would've preferred if they either went somewhere with FitzSimmons or just stayed the course of having Fitz defined by something other than his attachment to Simmons. A love triangle was the last thing needed here.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
You must've missed the posts here during the first two episodes of this season. Daisy was "thick/fat", Joey was similar to Ward but fatter, then there was May's huge legs. lol

Yeah, I saw them. I just tried to ignore them, came off like people not knowing what a real woman looked like.

As for the "Fitz earned Simmons" bollocks, where is that coming from?

Anoregon

Honestly, it was a mistake for the writers to even bother having Simmons suddenly be interested in Fitz at the last second during season 2's finale if they were just going to go in this direction. This episode introduced something that will just result in more needless melodrama as that subplot goes on, all while treading old ground for Fitz after he appeared to finally be getting over her and amounting to something more than a dogged nice guy as the last season progressed (i.e., him saying "You want to talk about this NOW?" when she informed him of her change of heart in the middle of mission preparations during the previous finale).

Personally, I would've preferred if they either went somewhere with FitzSimmons or just stayed the course of having Fitz defined by something other than his attachment to Simmons. A love triangle was the last thing needed here.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this entirely.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
With the introduction of dashing astronaut Will Daniels and the way the episode wrapped up they clearly wanted viewers thinking about relationship drama. We can't fault people for talking about it. It's only natural that there will be those "taking sides" too, especially when Simmons and Fitz are two of the best actors in the show and the two characters with most development.

The more I think about it the less I like the fact that they went the stranded hot dude route. So much could have been done with the idea of a scientist hopelessly stuck for months on an alien planet, even within budget constraints, but we ended up with one of the most cliche circumstances they could have gone with. And never mind the whole thing being full of derivative Lost concepts.

I still liked the episode because the actors and director did a great job despite all of the above. But it was good execution of a shoddy plot.

I'm still so completely confused by people thinking that Fitz being willing to save this guy's life is some how a + for him.

It's just what anyone in that position who isn't a creepy nut would do. It's basic moral shit. What other way could he have handled it that wouldn't make him a bag of shit?

I might change the thread title to Will Fitz Mack Simmons.
Honestly, it was a mistake for the writers to even bother having Simmons suddenly be interested in Fitz at the last second during season 2's finale if they were just going to go in this direction.
I actually don't remember how they arrived at that anyway. She wasn't interested and then she was...? Was it a hurt puppy, I need to help him thing?

That MTV thing is right. There is no sexual chemistry between the characters (or the actors frankly.)

Sexy astronaut guy managed to establish in an episode, quite organically really, chemistry with sexy scientist lady what dozens of episodes couldn't do for other character pairings in the show.

VegiHam

I loved this episode. Loved it. I like how fast paced this show is but it's nice to get a chance to focus on one thing for a bit. And, vindictively, I love anything coming between Fitz and Simmons, especially when it's a hot astronaut.

Also I want to see the internet's head explode when they rescue will and he starts hooking up with mack.

I'd have no objection to that. Go for it writers!

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I can't believe we're still talking about the same god damn things.

Where does Skye poop again?

I might change the thread title to Will Fitz Mack Simmons.
I actually don't remember how they arrived at that anyway. She wasn't interested and then she was...? Was it a hurt puppy, I need to help him thing?

It did come seemingly out of nowhere. There was really no build-up to her wanting to talk about their feelings. That's why I felt that she just did it because she didn't want to lose him (she starts talking about it just before he leaves on a mission) not because she actually developed romantic feelings for him... Except in this episode they basically have her pining for him for months, so the writers definitely have it so that she did develop romantic feelings for him. So idunno. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom