• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

Khaz

it could still be tied to the comic version. They probably found out about it during that trip and that's when his focus shifted.

He's ok with Daisy because she became an inhuman through the normal process and not by eating fish.

He should be ok with Lincoln then, in Afterlife they had very strict rules about who could go through the process, had plenty of latent inhuman waiting for their turn, and Lincoln got it. Daisy on the other hand was almost literally pushed into the chamber by her dad. Talk about nepotism and undue privilege.

He should be ok with Lincoln then, in Afterlife they had very strict rules about who could go through the process, had plenty of latent inhuman waiting for their turn, and Lincoln got it. Daisy on the other hand was almost literally pushed into the chamber by her dad. Talk about nepotism and undue privilege.

Lincoln certainly didn't became an inhuman with a temple. it's heavily implied with his talk with skye in S2 that skye using a normal temple to become an inhuman is something that doesn't happen that often.

Also they had plenty of shard in the afterlife. The problem is not the fish oil , but the blue crystal ( the manufactured crystal ) that they were all using in the afterlife to awaken their powers.

Khaz

i loved bobbi's mandarin. her tones were laughable! why cant they actually practice the chinese they use on tv? remember the awful arrow mandarin; "wuuuu ayyy niiiii"

Marvel is terrible at depicting foreign languages. They shamelessly used Canadian actors for French in Iron Man 2, and Brazilian people for Portuguese in that episode with Lady Sif and the Kree. And the Americans speaking another language are definitely not properly coached. As long as it's good enough for the average clueless American viewer, they won't bother more. Bonus point for Ward speaking French in the pilot, he was better than average iirc.

arumisan

What surprised me more was how off May's Mandarin was. Granted, Ming-Na's a Cantonese speaker so her accent was heavily accented, but even Jackie Chan can speak decent Mando.

Bobbi's was cringeworthy though. :/ Took me right out.

Re: the Mando. I'm not surprised since for most Cantonese speakers, the Mandarin is usually heavily influenced from the Cantonese side of things. Jackie Chan's Mandarin is pretty decent probably due to the fact that he spends a lot of time in China now (remember seeing him speak Mandarin like back in the 80s/90s and it was heavily accented. Ming-Na's sound pretty much how I expected her to sound to be honest - pobably better.

Listening to Bobbi's was hilarious though.

In regards to Lash, not suprised that it turned out to be Andrew - there were some small hints from the previous episodes. I particularly liked the fact that they addressed the red herring (the bald guy) as well.

EDIT:
Marvel is terrible at depicting foreign languages. They shamelessly used Canadian actors for French in Iron Man 2, and Brazilian people for Portuguese in that episode with Lady Sif and the Kree. And the Americans speaking another language are definitely not properly coached. As long as it's good enough for the average clueless American viewer, they won't bother more. Bonus point for Ward speaking French in the pilot, he was better than average iirc.

I think people need to keep in mind that there are regional dialects for languages. I mean even take English for example - there's American, UK, Australia, Canadian for the standard, but then again you have Creole English, Singaporean English, Indian English.

Thus I'm ok with different accents (as in I was ok with Ming'Na's Mandarin). I do agree that with people who obviously don't speak another language though.

Yeah Lincoln implied that the temple transformation is super rare or just hasn't occurred in a long ass time.

Yep. Though I do wonder how Lincoln turned. Was it ever mentioned?

Hunter ... suggesting Fitz leave a NASA hero there (maybe planting the seeds for Fitz to fuck this up for himself), shooting an innocent man in the middle of the day and bashing up hid face.

Just fucking up all over the place.

Finally watched just before Arrow started, love yesterday's ep! Really don't understand why people are so upset by Andrew being Lash? It works perfectly. Ward fake-out suggestions are just really dumb and a really lazy "twist".

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Andrew being Lash also offers the most potential in affecting most of the cast on a personal level, which is a good thing if they play the disruption right.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
24C6V3N.png

I got an email from Marvel that this was going to be a Ward episode.

DI-SA-POIN-TING

another average episode. season so far is average except for season opener

In regards to Lash, not suprised that it turned out to be Andrew - there were some small hints from the previous episodes. I particularly liked the fact that they addressed the red herring (the bald guy) as well.

Yep. Though I do wonder how Lincoln turned. Was it ever mentioned?

Me too, they did a nice job fully playing out him as the red herring for Lash.

I wonder about that too.

Hunter ... suggesting Fitz leave a NASA hero there (maybe planting the seeds for Fitz to fuck this up for himself), shooting an innocent man in the middle of the day and bashing up hid face.

Just fucking up all over the place.

Yup! Talk about a rough day.

Careful Fitz.

That's why i'm really satisfied by this episode. Despite the uneven place , the plot moves forward and coulson swag still the best

Yeah, it was a rather good ep.

Coulson digging in on the bat was great too lol.

anaron

I got an email from Marvel that this was going to be a Ward episode.

DI-SA-POIN-TING

another average episode. season so far is average except for season opener
lol, we just had probably the strongest episode in the series with Jemma stranded on an alien planet.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Good episode with some decent action and lots of fun lines. Lash remains trite and shit, but it's not like Inhuman Blanka is any better in the comics, tbh. Oh well.

Hunter is like that friend that fucks everything but is a riot to have around so you don mind his fuckups

Borded Hunter is the character of the season for me so far

the writing for him is markedly improved this year by committing to him being a major dick and keeping him away from Bobbi.

So much of this. Hunter has gone from being generic muscle to becoming one of AoS's pillars. Nick Blood is also selling it like a mofo. His timing and delivery were on point.

Obligatory jifs:

dp8a2tb.gif

BoQLtSY.gif

Dsd7Ffe.gif

kurahador

I don't know what some of you guys are talking about. I thought this episode is damn good, and was alot better than last week and the week before.
Seeing the different dynamic between the characters was fun, see above^.

The only downside was the way they reveal Lash's identity like it was this huge twist ever when everyone already guessed it 2 weeks ago.

anaron

^^ loooooool, so good.

the show needs to commit to just writing Skaisy as Chloe Bennet. She's so fucking funny and charismatic IRL.

also people need to calm down about Andrew being Lash. Let's wait to see what the show does with it before saying it's a retcon, which doesn't make any sense.

anaron

was anyone else really excited when Bobbi used the weight in the fight against May as it felt like a total nod to her baton staff? (that and the hightech glasses!)

Really hoping we see her combine her batons together ASAP.

Fuu

I find it kind of hilarious how their missions almost boiled down to knocking out innocent people in this episode, lol. The bank people, then Banks.

was anyone else really excited when Bobbi used the weight in the fight against May as it felt like a total nod to her baton staff? (that and the hightech glasses!)

Really hoping we see her combine them together ASAP.
Yep. And all the S.H.I.E.L.D. tech use was pretty fun.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
^^ loooooool, so good.

the show needs to commit to just writing Skaisy as Chloe Bennet. She's so fucking funny and charismatic IRL.

also people need to calm down about Andrew being Lash. Let's wait to see what the show does with it before saying it's a retcon, which doesn't make any sense.

AoS has made significant strides towards greatness, but I feel that it still needs to make better use of its considerable talent.

Just like the show tends to muffle McBear's amazing score for no good reason, it doesn't quite manage to create some writing that could make the best of Chloe Bennet and Clark Gregg. She's funny as shit IRL and he was surprisingly competent in his own Marvel one-shot, but you couldn't tell from watching the show.

the writing for him is markedly improved this year by committing to him being a major dick and keeping him away from Bobbi.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Going all in on making him the charming but oblivious moral degenerate through circumstance is working really well. These types of characters really only work when there is total commitment to the archetype (think Mugen from Champloo).

I.. don't really get the Mandarin accent critique that comes around any time this show in particular features the language. Do people in other countries critique the poorly accented or pronounced English in their natively produced and aired programs? Difficult languages are difficult and it's not worth the time and money to try to get actors who are non-native speakers of that language to pronounce everything accurately. Particularly when it amounts to just a handful of lines in an entire season.

Not surprised at the Lash reveal but also not disappointed. It makes more sense to have that character revealed as part of the cast already as it comes pre-baked with connections and allows for the show to walk the line as to whether or not he'll stay antagonist.

Fuu

This Week in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. podcast episode 30, celebrating 50 episodes of the show:

For our latest "This Week in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." podcast, we celebrate 50 episodes of "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." with star Clark Gregg and Executive Producers Jed Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen, Jeffrey Bell, and Jeph Loeb! Look back at the show's origins with the folks that were there from the very beginning as they reflect on the series' evolution, taking characters to new heights, and much more.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/25404/lis...ld_ep_30_with_clark_gregg_executive_producers

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I.. don't really get the Mandarin accent critique that comes around any time this show in particular features the language. Do people in other countries critique the poorly accented or pronounced English in their natively produced and aired programs? Difficult languages are difficult and it's not worth the time and money to try to get actors who are non-native speakers of that language to pronounce everything accurately.

If they say they're supposed to be good or fluent? Sure.

No one's losing sleep over it, but it's hard not to notice if you have the ear for it. I thought it was okay for what it was. Thought Scorch from season one was waaaay worse. That was actually painful.

If they say they're supposed to be good or fluent? Sure.

No one's losing sleep over it, but it's hard not to notice if you have the ear for it. I thought it was okay for what it was. Thought Scorch from season one was waaaay worse. That was actually painful.

I don't know. It seems a bit like critiquing the real life fighting skills of an actor in an action show. As long as the choreography and editing make it look good enough, it's not really a concern whether or not, say, Chris Evans actually knows all the fighting styles Cap is said to know.

Volimar

I don't know. It seems a bit like critiquing the real life fighting skills of an actor in an action show. As long as the choreography and editing make it look good enough, it's not really a concern whether or not, say, Chris Evans actually knows all the fighting styles Cap is said to know.

I'm the same way. Hemsworth can sometimes leave a bit to be desired as Thor, but it's got to be hard to find an actor who can fly, so I give him a pass.

Slacka

Not surprised at the Lash reveal but also not disappointed. It makes more sense to have that character revealed as part of the cast already as it comes pre-baked with connections and allows for the show to walk the line as to whether or not he'll stay antagonist.

Andrew/Lash has straight up murdered dozens of innocent Inhumans at this point between all the corpses of freshly changed people we saw at the start of this season in the atcu morgue, the house he cleared out 2 weeks ago plus who knows how many more. I just cant see a believable redemption after that.

I know we saw Cal/Hyde redeemed, but you cant really compare that as the only people he killed that we know about were either hydra (the people at the village) or other criminals (in his back alley operating room). Its a lot easier to come back from that.

Volimar

Andrew/Lash has straight up murdered dozens of innocent Inhumans at this point between all the corpses of freshly changed people we saw at the start of this season in the atcu morgue, the house he cleared out 2 weeks ago plus who knows how many more. I just cant see a believable redemption after that.

I know we saw Cal/Hyde redeemed, but you cant really compare that as the only people he killed that we know about were either hydra (the people at the village) or other criminals (in his back alley operating room). Its a lot easier to come back from that.

On the other hand, Tahiti is a magical place.

Top Bottom