• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 reportedly runs at 840p 60 FPs on the PS5 Pro; Remedy responds, no confirmation, more details coming

Draugoth

Gold Member
Edit, more info:

The Last of Part 2 - 1440p internal resolution at 60fps in this PS5 Pro Mode (same as PS5 Performance Mode) with improved image quality due to PSSR

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - Between 1440p and 1800p internal resolution (roughly the PS5 Quality Mode at 40fps) at 60fps in this PS5 Pro mode with the same settings as the PS5 Performance Mode and using PSSR to bring it up to 4K

Alan Wake 2 - Two modes shown (864p at 60fps & 1260p at 30fps) which is the same as the base PS5 modes and they presume it’s using PSSR and not the FSR in base PS5. 60fps clip has SSR but the 30fps clip could have RT.

Someone who is reportedly subscribed to their patreon:
ALAN WAKE 2 AT 864P 60FPS ON PS5 PRO?!
💀
💀
💀

DF Direct on their Patreon. They got Pro Res footage and did an analysis and talked about each game shown in the PS5 Pro reveal video. Mixed feelings at best from me. People who are expecting "4k 60fps" about to have a bad day.

EjnmwN2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That can’t be true, right!?……it’s fucking $950 console!

If it’s true then there is no way in hell it can run Monster Hunter Wilds in 60 FPS.
Basically Alan Wake 2 on PRO is running at the same internal resolution than the PS5 on both modes but DF only have two scenes for AW2, one in 30 FPS and the other one in 60 FPS so it's difficult to analyze why they did that or what they choose to improve. The 30 FPS mode seems to have RT Reflections.

Oliver from DF said in the AW2 section that devs might choose to use the GPU power for the 4K upsample from lower resolutions off performance modes to increase IQ.

Last edited:
Wait I’m confused. Hadn’t pay no attention to Alan wake 2. Is it native like 840 with xsx and ps5? Also any other games that less then 1080p native on these platforms?

Kerotan

Regular PS5 is 847p -> FSR2 -> 1440p -> upscaled to 4K in performance mode.

Resolution looks ~same on Pro so maybe they added some RT into play or it's just using higher graphical options (or both)?
Yeah they obviously didn't bother improving it. Any improvements are welcome before I play the final dlc.

Mr.Phoenix

Regular PS5 is 847p -> FSR2 -> 1440p -> upscaled to 4K in performance mode.

Resolution looks ~same on Pro so maybe they added some RT into play or it's just using higher graphical options (or both)?
Or maybe they just swapped out FSR with PSSR and called it a day.

I have said it already in the other thread, but how devs choose to use the PS5pro, is up to them, nothing Sony can do about it.

Bojji

Wait I’m confused. Hadn’t pay no attention to Alan wake 2. Is it native like 840 with xsx and ps5? Also any other games that less then 1080p native on these platforms?

MANY, even reaching 720p.

Imagine using digital clowndry as a source

Mr. tech internet expert, what's the resolution of AW2 on Pro then?

Pointless to discuss without knowing the graphics/RT settings.

But we know the resolution at least and it's super low, something like that doesn't produce very good image on 4K screen even with DLSS.

Don't worry folks, we know from a neogaf member's exhaustive analysis of the low resolution frames of a compressed youtube video that PSSR is better than DLSS.

So those 864p will look better than native 4k. 😌

8K even, hahaha.

Last edited:
Just give it up framerate warriors, you will never win.

30FPS consoles 4L.

at least you've graduated from 720p though
:mroff:
30 FPS is "choppy" - Lord and saviour Cerny, 2024.

When the creater called out 30fps, you better believe it.

Seriously though it's time to target 40fps in a 120hz container as the minimum frame rate target. What that means to resolution and settings in the current crop of consoles...is the problem.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Isn't that the point of upscaling though? Isn't the goal to have the most favorable combination of highest settings/image quality, frame rate, and the lowest resolution possible to produce the final image?

I mean 864 seems really really low to try and upscale to 4k so I dunno how that is going to work out, but still.
For Video a uncompressed 720p source can produce a fantastic 4K image with AI upscaling
But for games is different because I assume it's because the AI upscaling works in the fly.
But you boot up a 360 or PS3 game that's native 720p on a 4k screen and it doesn't look that bad, which is weird.

For Video a uncompressed 720p source can produce a fantastic 4K image with AI upscaling
But for games is different because I assume it's because the AI upscaling works in the fly.
But you boot up a 360 or PS3 game that's native 720p on a 4k screen and it doesn't look that bad, which is weird.
Which AI can upscale 720 to 4K video with fantastic quality? I have a top-end OLED. 1080p still looks soft.

Bojji

45% rasterisation improvement.

it is a tiny jump and people need to finally understand this.

PSSR is the main thing that will improve the subjective image clarity

Exactly this is the difference between 6700 and 6800, or 4060 and 4070 - just one tier in GPU stacks.

For comparison PS4 Pro was over 2.2x faster than PS4 and Xbox One X GPU was over 4.5x faster than Xbox One!!!

This power jump is pathetic for that 800 euros...

Vick

Gold Member
There is no chance the res is that low, it's a fricken YouTube video regardless. Just wait ffs.
And miss on drama, engagement, clicks and warring?

No Way Beer GIF by Busch

Not a YT video however, although still a video nonetheless.

30 FPS is "choppy" - Lord and saviour Cerny, 2024.

When the creater called out 30fps, you better believe it.
Preach. It's just one Gen after all, one single Gen of little sacrifices to get 60fps as a standard and then we're good to go as visuals at this point can only improve so much.
And this Gen sucks balls regardless anyway for various reasons so far, let's make good use of it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
According to DF:

Sounds like a typical Twitter user who doesn't understand words.
For people wanting to predict comparison from Hoddi's DF link, here's the PS5 baseline to compare to PS5 Pro tests:

Next up, let's talk quality modes. Alan Wake 2 was designed for 30fps on consoles - and that's what you get in the quality mode. However, towards the end of development, Remedy added a performance option targeting 60fps. The key differentiator here is resolution, as you might expect. The quality mode uses FSR 2 to hit a 2160p output, with an internal resolution of 1270p. Performance mode again uses FSR 2, but this time with an output of 1440p and an internal resolution of 847p. Both modes look a touch softer than most other games with similar output resolutions though, perhaps owing to the lower-contrast artwork and heavy post-processing. Beyond resolution, the most obvious cutback in the performance mode is foliage density, which is considerably lower than the quality mode.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

45% rasterisation improvement.

it is a tiny jump and people need to finally understand this.

PSSR is the main thing that will improve the subjective image clarity
That has absolutely nothing to do with this.

The game already has a performance mode running at about the same resolution at 60fps. And already uses FSR.

This means that if you apply that 45% raster improvement, you could easily take it from that rez up to at least 1080p or even 1296p, an since its already using FSR, that can just be swapped out for PSSR and reconstructed to 4K. And this is you not doing much of anything.

What these devs chose to do, is leave everything as is, and just swap out FSR for PSSR. Its probably running internally at well over 75fps but capped to 60fps. What we are seeing is the laziest possible application of a PS5pro patch.

I would thikall I just said is obvious and common sense, especially if talking to someone that wants to talk raster percentages. 45% is not a small bump at all. For reference, that's the difference between a 6700XT and in the ballpark of any of 6800XT/3080/4070. And in this same game at 1080p without RT.

(PS5) 6700XT - 56fps
PS5pro (6800XT) - 83fps
PS5pro (4070) - 84fps
PS5pro (3080) - 88fps

Still think 45% more raster means nothing? Or you can see why this is an obvious case of a poorly implemented PS5pro patch.

Top Bottom