• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 reportedly runs at 840p 60 FPs on the PS5 Pro; Remedy responds, no confirmation, more details coming

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Which AI can upscale 720 to 4K video with fantastic quality? I have a top-end OLED. 1080p still looks soft.
To be fair I am referring to music videos that have been AI Upscaled from a Master, I know a few guys that do them and some are actually below 720p Master's or ProRes.
But when the master or ProRes is good the results are stunning.
But I assume a lot of other work is done as well on top of that to get it to that quality.
I know a lot of people use AI upscaling and turn everything on high and convert it to 60fps and it does look shit.
But there are people out there a that are really good at it.

Msamy

Just give it up framerate warriors, you will never win.

30FPS consoles 4L.

at least you've graduated from 720p though
:mroff:
Framerate warrior's truly need to go play Nintendo or ps2 games and let this generation have its true graphics power at 30 fps

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
That has absolutely nothing to do with this.

The game already has a performance mode running at about the same resolution at 60fps. And already uses FSR.

This means that if you apply that 45% raster improvement, you could easily take it from that rez up to at least 1080p or even 1296p, an since its already using FSR, that can just be swapped out for PSSR and reconstructed to 4K. And this is you not doing much of anything.

What these devs chose to do, is leave everything as is, and just swap out FSR for PSSR. Its probably running internally at well over 75fps but capped to 60fps. What we are seeing is the laziest possible application of a PS5pro patch.

I would thikall I just said is obvious and common sense, especially if talking to someone that wants to talk raster percentages. 45% is not a small bump at all. For reference, that's the difference between a 6700XT and in the ballpark of any of 6800XT/3080/4070. And in this same game at 1080p without RT.

(PS5) 6700XT - 56fps
PS5pro (6800XT) - 83fps
PS5pro (4070) - 84fps
PS5pro (3080) - 88fps

Still think 45% more raster means nothing? Or you can see why this is an obvious case of a poorly implemented PS5pro patch.
Well, the patch isn’t out to the public, so I wouldn’t call anyone lazy just yet.

Vick

Gold Member
First leak was real with console specs (he got sony papers from some dev).

Recent one? I have no idea, I think less than 50% of his leaks are accurate in total.
But supposedly the recent one should come from that same dev.

Still on hopium myself, AW 2 being ass with a quick and dirty patch job on it means very little, especially considering how the game runs in general everywhere.

Framerate warrior's truly need to go play Nintendo or ps2 games and let this generation have its true graphics power at 30 fps
Going to play the countless 60fps games on PS2 right now indeed.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Well, the patch isn’t out to the public, so I wouldn’t call anyone lazy just yet.
Granted, that's true, but it won't surprise me if that's all they do. And if it is, it won't be the only devs that do stuff like that.

For most devs, their idea of a PS5pro mode, would be one that just puts in PSSR on top of whatever the base PS5 is doing in its own performance mode and leave everything else the same.

45% rasterisation improvement.

it is a tiny jump and people need to finally understand this.

PSSR is the main thing that will improve the subjective image clarity
I assume, the 45% uplift IS being used for higher settings, maybe matching the existing Fidelity mode on PS5. Then, switch out FSR for PSSR for better IQ. So, it should match Cernys pitch: fidelity ”like” visuals at 60fps.

Mr.Phoenix

I find there are certain people that simply just want to jump at every opportunity to piss on this thing. Even when doing so is as blatantly biased as we are seeing in this example.

Fascinating when you see supposedly technically adept people suddenly have a collective brain freeze and throw common sense out the window.

I mean... even without explaining as much as I already have... how can anyone see that the base PS5 and the PS5 pro is running at the same internal rez and not see the issue lies with the devs implementation?

Or even worse, how can they attribute this in a mode that's not even using RT, to the CPU, when the game is already doing 60fps on the base PS5 at that same rez, or even worse, how can they associate the rez of a game to the CPU in a situation like this? When the Pro doesn't just have a 45% faster GPU, it has more RAM available to devs and more bandwidth.

As I said, some posters are so blinded by their need to hate this thing, that they literally start becoming stupid. All their tech knowledge just seems to go on vacation.

Bojji

Some games will actually use a lower resolution than PS5 but use higher settings & PSSR the end result will look better on PS5 Pro .

But have fun worrying about a base resolution.

Ai reconstruction has it's limitations you know?

Nvidia calls their modes (for 4k image):

- quality (1440p)
- balance (~1200p)
- performance (1080p}

- ultra performance (720p)

UP mode is only for desperate people but Performance mode can still look very good (but not always). Here we see resolution less than 900p, how this will look on the screen when even reconstruction from much higher 1080p can have some issues using Dlss (the best known reconstruction tech)?

Bojji

I find there are certain people that simply just want to jump at every opportunity to piss on this thing. Even when doing so is as blatantly biased as we are seeing in this example.

Fascinating when you see supposedly technically adept people suddenly have a collective brain freeze and throw common sense out the window.

I mean... even without explaining as much as I already have... how can anyone see that the base PS5 and the PS5 pro is running at the same internal rez and not see the issue lies with the devs implementation?

Or even worse, how can they attribute this in a mode that's not even using RT, to the CPU, when the game is already doing 60fps on the base PS5 at that same rez, or even worse, how can they associate the rez of a game to the CPU in a situation like this? When the Pro doesn't just have a 45% faster GPU, it has more RAM available to devs and more bandwidth.

As I said, some posters are so blinded by their need to hate this thing, that they literally start becoming stupid. All their tech knowledge just seems to go on vacation.

If this console was 500-600$/Euro WITH the disc drive people would love this thing and hype would be through the roof.

Sony just wants to screw everyone, they offer very small update for very large amount of money.

Vick

Gold Member

I sadly have to agree.

On the other hand, having long lasting Threads about PSSR being better than DLSS on a 4090 based on pointless and super compressed screenshots sure as hell didn't help.

AfroRonin

Neo Member
I hope you're all prepared for one of these threads for every Pro patched game for the next 2 months; with any half-assed job used to claim that the failure is with the hardware and not the devs. I just hope Sony isn't planning on treating this thing like their previous optional hardware.

"Lets just just put this cool thing out there and hope somebody decides to support it!"

Kangx

This is exactly why I stated in other thread that it will be a bad PR for sony to send this presentation out for DF right now. Many games are not ready even Horizon did not implement PSSR. This is exactly the headline I was talking about. 800p for 700 dollars console.

With the price and the bad presentation and they thought this is good idea. It is better to send the ps5 pro a few weeks before launch to the DF and the medias and let them have fun with it. This will give them better and more material to compare.

Right now, we only have a few scenes from Alan Wake and some third party games, there is not much to compare to the base Ps5. And many third party games are similar to Alan wake situation. I heard Dragon Dogma improved significantly though.

There is going to be good and bad implementation. Good most come from sony first party, bad come from most third part where they just replace FSR with PSSR and call it a day.

Be prepare lol. The flood gate will open on Monday when DF release the video.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

If this console was 500-600$/Euro WITH the disc drive people would love this thing and hype would be through the roof.
Found this funny.
Sony just wants to screw everyone, they offer very small update for very large amount of money.
I don't see this as a small update.

And if we are being fair, and just take that 45% better number and even ignore the RT and AI stuff? This is what 45% more GPU looks like.

6700 - $479
6800XT - $579
4070 - $599

So we can say that a 45% better GPU alone tacks on like $120. We can add another $35 for an extra 1TB of SSD. And lets add $20 for going from 14gbs to 18Gbs RAM.

This means that the PS5pro, should at the very least cost around $175 more than the PS5 digital. Thats $625.

As I said before, sonys markup is no more than $50-$100. And that to me isn't really screwing anyone over. $700 is just a shocking price for a console.

Mr.Phoenix

This is exactly why I stated in other thread that it will be a bad PR for sony to send this presentation out for DF right now. Many games are not ready even Horizon did not implement PSSR. This is exactly the headline I was talking about. 800p for 700 dollars console.

With the price and the bad presentation and they thought this is good idea. It is better to send the ps5 pro a few weeks before launch to the DF and the medias and let them have fun with it. This will give them better and more material to compare.

Right now, we only have a few scenes from Alan Wake and some third party games, there is not much to compare to the base Ps5. And many third party games are similar to Alan wake situation. I heard Dragon Dogma improved significantly though.

There is going to be good and bad implementation. Good most come from sony first party, bad come from most third part where they just replace FSR with PSSR and call it a day.

Be prepare lol. The flood gate will open on Monday when DF release the video.
No doubt, but to me that's just people you shouldn't listen to because either they are ignorant and lack any understanding of how all this tech works, or they are not and have an agenda. Because this shit is obvious to me, and with a little common sense, on closer examination, anyone can see it too and realize what's amiss here.

So if you find someone, ignoring all that and just running with some damning clickbaity title? Well.. don't take it to heart.

bundylove

Youtube is full of idiots claiming the pro is 2080 card and for 300 more you can get a pc wirh a 4060 card claiming its way better than the pro .

Now this bullshit here. At probably many more till release .

If sony doesnt do a proper presentation soon with real games and real data, they deserve all the negativity coming to them

bundylove

Here on gaf money isn't the problem for many people and they buy 4090's and Sony Bravia tvs left and right. But even with that reception of the pro is very cold outside of the most loyal fans.

Reception of PS3 was pretty much the same and this console was a disaster for first 3 years.
Call me stupid then cuz i have no problem with it.

I will get my monies worth i know for a fact.
The ps3's problem wasnt just the price but the lack of games or quality of games compared to the 360. It was not worth to buy at least for a year. Thats when i bought it.

Vick

Gold Member

They were probably, naively hoping DF would cover obvious improvements over some Fidelity Modes, like the blatant ass one in Part II..

Zlz8wgN.gif

Uq8io9p.gif

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h26m23s382.png

DgW3umJ.gif

jTIaird.gif

Fidelity-VS-Pro-Zaino-Rocce.png

1yitbn5.gif

And go with "Some games are improved even upon the Fidelity mode", or "PSSR fixes some IQ issues and artifacts even on native 4K".. and the likes.

200.gif

Delusional morons.

Cakeboxer

So we can say that a 45% better GPU alone tacks on like $120. We can add another $35 for an extra 1TB of SSD. And lets add $20 for going from 14gbs to 18Gbs RAM.
This means that the PS5pro, should at the very least cost around $175 more than the PS5 digital. Thats $625.
We don't know what Sony pays. Even prebuilt gaming pcs from small retailers can be cheaper than the parts. Sony orders those things in the millions and will get very good conditions.

Mr.Phoenix

We don't know what Sony pays. Even prebuilt gaming pcs from small retailers can be cheaper than the parts. Sony orders those things in the millions and will get very good conditions.
Of course, we don't know what sony pays. But we cant look at what a consumer should pay based on what OEM bulk pricing/contracts are.

We can only look at the cost of the product. And that is PS5 Digital $450 and PS5Pro $700.

To the end user, the question of value is simple, what more are you getting for $250 more?

45% better GPU? what is that worth? What does 454% more GPU go for on the market? Well, which GPUs are about 45% better than the one said to be in the base PS5? What the market price difference?

More SSD space? Whats a 2TB SSD going for these days, whats half of that amount since they are only adding 1TB extra? But hell, we at least have an idea what OEM pricing is or stuff like SSDs (hence why I added on $35 for it instead of $70....etc.

Sony has priced the PS5pro, relative to what its performance would command on the open market, not relative to what they priced the base PS5. And there is nothing wrong with that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But supposedly the recent one should come from that same dev.

Still on hopium myself, AW 2 being ass with a quick and dirty patch job on it means very little, especially considering how the game runs in general everywhere.

Interestingly enough, 847p is what the game's Performance mode runs at on both PS5 and SX. So, if it's still running the same resolution on PS5 Pro, they're probably compensating by adding RT or other Quality mode enhancements in that 60fps mode.

I know the PS5 version was a fair bit behind in the launch months and first couple of patches, don't know if it runs any better today.

But at least the SX version was fairly good at keeping a very good performance in both modes.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
Interesting thought. Does the price bring a negative spin that people feel the need to trash what they haven’t played or really seen outside of what’s been shown?

bundylove

Interestingly enough, 847p is what the game's Performance mode runs at on both PS5 and SX. So, if it's still running the same resolution on PS5 Pro, they're probably compensating by adding RT or other Quality mode enhancements in that 60fps mode.

I know the PS5 version was a fair bit behind in the launch months and first couple of patches, don't know if it runs any better today.

But at least the SX version was fairly good at keeping a very good performance in both modes.
They turned on rt for the presentation and called it a day.
I expect at the beginning a lot of low level effort regarding the pro as there ia really no competition.
This is why i am bummed about xbox skipping a midd gen refresh.

adamsapple

They turned on rt for the presentation and called it a day.
I expect at the beginning a lot of low level effort regarding the pro as there ia really no competition.
This is why i am bummed about xbox skipping a midd gen refresh.

Could be.

Remedy is also not exactly a big developer and they're knee deep in multiple known projects, so they likely didn't have a lot of spare resources to dedicate here.

Mr.Phoenix

Interesting thought. Does the price bring a negative spin that people feel the need to trash what they haven’t played or really seen outside of what’s been shown?
Yes.

Ever heard of the Fox and the Grapes story?

There is actually a whole documented phenomenon on this shit, its called "sour grapes".

Basically, its when people convince themselves to hate something because they can't get it, or they feel its asking too much of them.

adamsapple

Hmm knee deep?
I hope ita control 2. That game gave me the creeps and i couldnt stop playing it.

Control is in my top 5 games of the PS4/XBO gen. Loved it. Best 'sense of discovery' kind of game in a long long while.

They're currently working on: AW2's DLC, Max Payne 1&2 Remakes, Control 2 and an MP game set in the Control mythos. They're pretty damn occupied for probably the next 6 to 8 years.

Last edited:

bundylove

Yes.

Ever heard of the Fox and the Grapes story?

There is actually a whole documented phenomenon on this shit, its called "sour grapes".

Basically, its when people convince themselves to hate something because they can't get it, or they feel its asking too much of them.
The price is heaven for content creators.
Get ready for a wild ride of fake news till release. After that no one will care.
Though sony deserves this with that bullshit show and that god awful cerny wig

akira__

Even if true, this is about an unreleased game that is slated to be released months from now.

Dirt 5 wasn't indicative of the power balance between the consoles nor will a unreleased game be.

JJfpr50.jpeg
sce2i21.jpeg
hhh6Bfh.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Control is in my top 5 games of the PS4/XBO gen. Loved it. Best 'sense of discovery' kind of game in a long long while.

They're currently working on: AW2's DLC, Max Payne 1&2 Remakes, Control 2 and an MP game set in the Control mythos. They're pretty damn occupied for probably the next 6 to 8 years.
I really should play this game, I skipped it on the PS4 because I was waiting to play it on the PS5, and now its been sitting in PS5 library for almost 2 years and I still haven't played it.

Now I am telling myself to wait for PS5pro to play it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I really should play this game, I skipped it on the PS4 because I was waiting to play it on the PS5, and now its been sitting in PS5 library for almost 2 years and I still haven't played it.

Now I am telling myself to wait for PS5pro to play it.

Probably gonna be pretty unlikely that it gets a further patch, its already 5~ years old. The 60fps mode is pretty good and the console version only has RT reflections, none of the other PC RT features so it wasn't really worth it for sacrifice in performance IMO.

Top Bottom