• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

simpatico

Be straight with me guys, I've got a 1080, but I'm impatient enough to buy this just to stream via Geforce Now. Is it worth it?

Bartski

Gold Member
Credits!

Strong ending, actually gets even better and really creepy during the final few chapters. NIghtless Night was peak crazy, Sam Lake steals the show actually acting, comes across as more convincing than the lead who plays Alan imo.

I was surprised how deep it ties in with Control, way beyond an easter egg.

I cleared 98% of the game without any guides just to learn a bugged-out collectible killed my platinum. Sours me on the whole thing a bit but not enough to score it below an 8/10 and call it a huge win for Remedy.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Be straight with me guys, I've got a 1080, but I'm impatient enough to buy this just to stream via Geforce Now. Is it worth it?
Playing the game on anything which does not have mesh shaders support is pointless - performance will be terrible. As for if the game is worth getting GFN for.... it depends if you played and liked/loved the first AW and Control or just about any other Remedy game. If you haven't played AW and Control, play them instead first - AW, then Control and all of its DLCs.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Man Tim Breaker has gotta be alternate reality Jack Joyce, right?

….Right?

fL1LeGi.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Credits!

Strong ending, actually gets even better and really creepy during the final few chapters. NIghtless Night was peak crazy, Sam Lake steals the show actually acting, comes across as more convincing than the lead who plays Alan imo.

I was surprised how deep it ties in with Control, way beyond an easter egg.

I cleared 98% of the game without any guides just to learn a bugged-out collectible killed my platinum. Sours me on the whole thing a bit but not enough to score it below an 8/10 and call it a huge win for Remedy.

Fairly early in the game.

Without spoiling, just a yes or no answer please. Does the game end in a conclusive way (i-e no obvious DLC traps).

Please spoiler tag a yes or no answer.

simpatico

Playing the game on anything which does not have mesh shaders support is pointless - performance will be terrible. As for if the game is worth getting GFN for.... it depends if you played and liked/loved the first AW and Control or just about any other Remedy game. If you haven't played the AW and Control, play them instead first - Alan Wake, then Control and all of its DLCs.
Maybe I should just drag myself to Microcenter and spend the day getting it over with. This one hurts.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
AW2 and Control are probably the best universe mergers I've played in terms of modern video games. If you haven't played Control before AW2, you're missing out big time cuz you won't understand what FBC is, what they're doing, what A.W.E. is, how it is connected to FBC, why FBI can't get shit from them etc. etc. etc., but if you've played Control and all of its DLCs... it's fuckin' amazing!

And the significance of Ahti, and understanding how objects of power work.

I don’t think this game is as good as it is without playing Control. It elevates it to be so much more.

Decided to boot up the original (not the shitty remaster) and super surprised how well this holds up graphically. It did push the 360 well beyond its limits back in the day so no surprise. OG Bright Falls in 4k 144fps is quite a treat! Might actually play this now to fully catch up on the story first...
screenshot2023-10-2912lf6n.png

screenshot2023-10-291b6ifq.png

Last edited:

Arsic

GeForce now ultimate first time user here. I’ve got 1000 mbs download speed. It’s only using 50-75 mbs. Maxed out 4k all graphics max, always over 60fps with dlss quality.

When I used stadia it was always blurry and compressed.

GeForce is perfect and 100% clear as if it was your own 4080 running the game. It completely changed how I plan to play games moving forward. Already going to get a second Ethernet cable now to plug into my TV so I can stream straight to it at 4k as well.

SJRB

Gold Member
Saga is just, lmao.

Seconds after a brutal fight with an inhuman cult member, seeing the most insane hallucinations imaginable and fighting literal shadow demons: “Ooh a new mystery to solve, so exciting”.

Is she, like.. on the spectrum or something?

DeaDPo0L84

Has anyone figured out a way on PC to add the pre-order items? I feel so dumb, I bought the game hours after it released so I missed out.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
And the significance of Ahti, and understanding how objects of power work.

I don’t think this game is as good as it is without playing Control. It elevates it to be so much more.
I don't agree with this, AW2 is amazing on its own (and better than the first game), but Control without a doubt makes it even better. I think it was intentional to also try and make people who haven't played Control yet - finally buy and play it. But here's the thing, unless you really into video games and active on video game forums, there's really nothing in AW2 to let you know that Control exists and that you should play it before AW2... and that's a bit of a problem.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I just gotta share somewhere that I upgraded from a 7900 XTX GPU to an RTX 4090 prior to this game coming out, and my god... the 4090 is such an astronomical leap.

The 7900 XTX was great, but what it provided was higher resolution/higher FPS versions of PS5/XSX games.

The 4090 makes me feel like I'm playing completely different versions of these games altogether. With CP2077, AW II, and others, it's like playing next-gen games 6 years early.

I'm blown away.

Salz01

Game is great to look at. At times I’m having fun with it, at times it seems like a chore. Exploring and puzzles are good. The gun play sucks. The marketing was a bit off on this one. It’s way more adventure story then a resident evil clone. The 30 fps isn’t bothering me to much on PS5: but they should really try to implement a 40fps mode with TVs that can support it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I guess it’s just coincidence that this rundown, dark subway looks a lot like Roscoe St Station and whatever other subway systems Max Payne was running through back in the day.

This game is a literal treasure trove of various types of callbacks to ALL of their games since Max Payne 1. There was a MP2 reference I found early on in Alan’s world that brought back some seriously weird nostalgia.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Can I play all saga missions and then wake?
Will there be a point where I cannot progress and I have to switch to him or can you lock yourself out of some wake missions?

kikkis

Decided to boot up the original (not the shitty remaster) and super surprised how well this holds up graphically. It did push the 360 well beyond its limits back in the day so no surprise. OG Bright Falls in 4k 144fps is quite a treat! Might actually play this now to fully catch up on the story first...
screenshot2023-10-2912lf6n.png

screenshot2023-10-291b6ifq.png
In many ways it looks better than Alan wake 2. Higher resolution, more saturation and contrast.

SRTtoZ

Do we know which version is superior? Series X or PS5? Also, Performance or Quality modes? I have it on PC but I wanna grab it on a console too so I can chase some trophies/achievements.

adamsapple

Do we know which version is superior? Series X or PS5? Also, Performance or Quality modes? I have it on PC but I wanna grab it on a console too so I can chase some trophies/achievements.

Based on the few online comparisons, they're interchangeable. SX may or may not be a bit more stable than PS5 in the performance mode, but that's just from one comparison. There may be other differences, we don't know.

I can, however, say that I have run into some audio skipping issues on Xbox myself. Can't comment on if PS5 has something similar too.

And I am playing in Quality mode. Performance is stable, surprisingly more stable than I expected, but the IQ takes a noticeable hit.

Last edited:

simpatico

GeForce now ultimate first time user here. I’ve got 1000 mbs download speed. It’s only using 50-75 mbs. Maxed out 4k all graphics max, always over 60fps with dlss quality.

When I used stadia it was always blurry and compressed.

GeForce is perfect and 100% clear as if it was your own 4080 running the game. It completely changed how I plan to play games moving forward. Already going to get a second Ethernet cable now to plug into my TV so I can stream straight to it at 4k as well.
Any word on how well it does over wifi?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Based on the few online comparisons, they're interchangeable. SX may or may not be a bit more stable than PS5 in the performance mode, but that's just from one comparison.

And I am playing in Quality mode. Performance is stable, surprisingly more stable than I expected, but the IQ takes a noticeable hit.
You play on sx?

because saga missions suck ass performance wise in quality mode on ps5. Frequent long lasting (whole areas) forest drops below 30fps

adamsapple

You play on sx?

because saga missions suck ass performance wise in quality mode on ps5. Frequent long lasting (whole areas) forest drops below 30fps

Can't say I've noticed that on SX so far, but then again I'm playing the game very slow. Just about to start her Watery trailer mission.

TVexperto

Yes.

It does leave one question unanswered possibly for the DLC but definitely a satisfying conclusion to this story
I disagree, I think the ending is awful and confusing. You got to do several small missions as well as piece together clues in the case board which could be anywhere from 50 mins to 1 hour, maybe even more if you get lost lol.

Arsic

Any word on how well it does over wifi?
On WiFi you can’t do 4k. It locks you to 1080p. I fried up cp2077 maxed out on my tv doing WiFi and it looked great but I would recommend wired net.

The compression blurry stuff happens when WiFi is in play which was stadias issue.

I think wired 4k is also something like 16gb a hour of bandwidth so if your IP throttles you won’t be making use of it. It also limits 4k to 8 hour sessions. Which is fine for me since I don’t get to play 8+ hour sessions except very very rarely.

Wire up and enjoy.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I hope you find every room where you can talk to him. He has some... interesting things to tell :messenger_beaming:

Yeah exactly that’s what got the gears turning almost immediately. The dreams, seeing himself as someone else. I mean it’s so right there. So good 😁

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Omg. I just finished all saga missions that I could and finally switched to wake for first time since that was an option….
Now that mission is incredible and probably by coincidence perfectly follows up after that saga mission.

Good job remedy. The game went to 11. What is going on lol. This shits on that one mission in control

Top Bottom