• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

Alright, I'm in, buying now and playing tonight after work. Can't wait, love Remedy. AW1 was a blast, I'm not too worried about replayability as I more enjoy the game as a once off with Remedy stories/action. Kids will have a play through too but judging by my daughters reaction to the trailer she'll want dad along for her playthrough. I find it so interesting to see kids play a campaign again after I have, how differently they approach things etc.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Tim(e) Breaker at work

YNaBhUT.jpg
rCrsE2C.jpg

We really need a dedicated Quantum
Break page

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Sure, but her being black simply doesn't make sense in the game.
If you're easily offended I guess, Saga was a cameo easter egg like scene in Quantum Break and when it came to the new vibe they were out to tell with AWII, it probably just came naturally to go in a different direction and the actress for Saga fitted that perfectly.

I've loved her performance so far and am not bothered about her race at all.

Roberts

Also, what mode you guys are playing on ps5? quality mode seems to have bugged, jagged shadows (see df thread for examples) and 30fps is really really spotty. Often drops in saga areas. I do still play in 30 though

Not on PS5 but on XSX. I switched between both modes many times to see the difference and eventually settled down on Quality even though it still has a lot of aliasing (really noticeable in interiors) and upscalling artifacts, but it has been a surprisingly smooth experience. I usually can’t stand 30fps but this game does it well.

K' Dash

just a yes or no question:

am I able to collect all lunch boxes in the very first area or are there some backtracking later to collect the rest? I'm missing 4 right now and I have been here running around for 2 hours.

Sleepwalker

Probably means because the character used to be white, or at least there was a character with the same name and white.

It doesn't really bother me lol, in this universe a raceswap is one of the less strange things going around. Plus I have some theories about these characters but I need to get further into the game to confirm.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Every article is saying this game is 15 hours.
I am already almost 30 hours in and I think am at nearing the end. Maybe

SRTtoZ

Based on the few online comparisons, they're interchangeable. SX may or may not be a bit more stable than PS5 in the performance mode, but that's just from one comparison. There may be other differences, we don't know.

I can, however, say that I have run into some audio skipping issues on Xbox myself. Can't comment on if PS5 has something similar too.

And I am playing in Quality mode. Performance is stable, surprisingly more stable than I expected, but the IQ takes a noticeable hit.

Yea I went for quality too and I chose PS5 just b/c I feel like MS will sign this for a game pass game in a few months. Maybe I'm wrong we'll see. Anyway, just started on quality mode and holy shit this game is a looker. It really gives off that Naughty Dog quality feeling like TLOU 2 with these visuals. It's also surreal to see Max Payne voice Sam Lake who is the original Max Payne face. The atmosphere in this game is something.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The "We Sing" chapter.

Sam lake you magnificent fucking bastard.

giphy.gif

I swear if this isn't brought up in end of year podcasts for best moments of the year in gaming ..

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

Anyone running this on a 4070? Performance decent with RT? I've watched a few YouTube vids but can't really get a firm grasp on what to expect

Last edited:

nashman

Anyone running this on a 4070? Performance decent with RT? I've watched a few YouTube vids but can't really get a firm grasp on what to expect
4070ti and I have everthing maxxed with pathtracing. DLSS balaced and frame gen on and its great.

Im sure you ultra everything RT without PT and be fine. Maybe even with Pathtracing DLSS Performance.

adamsapple

Enjoying the visual differences between both players chapters.

Enjoying everything a lot.

KKvY6p7.jpg

LA8CcQR.png

Last edited:

adamsapple

While I'm not at 30 hrs like rofif, how are people even beating this in 12hrs. Unless you're not listening to conversations, letting the FMVs play out, listening to the manuscripts in their entiretiy etc.

I am at Initiation # 5 and my game clock is 11~ hours. I foresee this being 18~20 hours at the pace I am playing.

Sleepwalker

While I'm not at 30 hrs like rofif, how are people even beating this in 12hrs. Unless you're not listening to conversations, letting the FMVs play out, listening to the manuscripts in their entiretiy etc.

I am at Initiation # 5 and my game clock is 11~ hours. I foresee this being 18~20 hours at the pace I am playing.
Rushing through this should be a punishable crime. It oozes personality and character.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I had plenty of the explosive canisters. Two of those and two shotgun shells and it was over.
I have those as well but for some reason I put them in storage to make some space and I forgot to take them out.......FUCK!

Not a big fan of David Lynch type films/tv series, but when it comes to games, it is absolutely perfect. The confusion and wtf moments create incredibly unique opportunities for gameplay. And even when I am stuck or confused, I am not overly irritated like other games. It is as if you are supposed to feel that way, just like the characters you are playing. So unique!!!

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I'm not that far in, but they repeatedly reference that
her mother is Scandinavian. She herself even does it. When you meet two white guys, one of them claims to be her family. Etc. Again, I'm not that far in, but it feels to me this part was written for a Scandinavian looking character.

I understand that the game is all about changing realities and so, but to me it feels a bit off.

The actress is really good, though. And just to be clear, I love the game. If the quality keeps up, it could be my personal goty, or at least a contender.

Last edited:
I'm a huge AW fan and I'm loving this, but I also think this will be the worst Remedy game in terms of replayability

They had that perfect balance between narrative and gameplay. But this time the gameplay takes a backseat.

I dont mind it right now, 'cause everything is so fresh and I dont know where the game will take me, but other playthroughs may be kinda boring.

I also dont get people praising the gameplay 'cause to me, this is Alan Wake at a slower pace, with a narrow FOV and less resources.
I hate to say it but after playing a few hours of AW1 with mouse and keyboard controls yesterday... It might actually be the better game?! At least without a controller and the tech issues of the Xbox 360.

I'm about 8 hours in and I think this is one of the best survival horror games in a long time. Worth every cent and easily one of the best games of the year hands down. Just hope it sells well enough.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I've only had time to play for about an hour, but im doing a little late night session tonight.

Only bad thing I can say so far is the.. voice acting is... not good. Some of the NPC's sound like they just used some employees at Remedy for voice work lmao.

Other than that, loving it. Atmosphere is top tier.

Bartski

Gold Member
just a yes or no question:

am I able to collect all lunch boxes in the very first area or are there some backtracking later to collect the rest? I'm missing 4 right now and I have been here running around for 2 hours.

You can change maps and collect everything in later chapters.

You also find a charm in chapter 6 that highlights them on your map.

There are some missable videos in Alan's chapters, including one that became missable via bug in patch v.005

TrebleShot

Booted this baby up at max settings with path tracing and ray reconstruction with framegen at 4k dlss quality. Got around 48-55 fps during the first investigation thingy and now around 60 in the town.

Which setting should I tone down to gain a little more perf? Would like to be around 60 in the forest as well. Or is there any guide for ray tracing settings? The df one only covers raster.
DLSS balanced that’s what I’ve done getting like 90fps now and image looks the same as quality

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ll need to mull over the ending a bit more but it doesn’t feel like they stuck the landing.

It’s easily my GOTY though. Not even fucking close.

ikbalCO

The way this game uses sound… just sublime.

i had to turn off the game last night cuz it became to spooky when you arrived at lake house where it is just too quite and there are no noise when compared previous area, the theme park. With the lights off and headphones on i just couldnt go on :D

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
In the late game you can enter the diner at evening/night and the jukebox is playing remixed version of first game theme.
Anyone got a link? I want to listen to that again

Certinty

Amazing game, can’t say I expected a game that good.

Easily some of the best character development and story telling i’ve come across in a video game, both sides of the story great for very different reasons. Stunning game visually too.

Biggest issue in my eyes are that the gameplay is so bland, especially compared to the likes of Quantum Break, Control and even the first game, it just plays too generically in combat.

A minor problem is I played through all of Alan’s path first and then Saga’s afterwards. I think looking back at it now I would have preferred if I changed far more often between both in between chapters. But I appreciate the option to choose regardless.

JCK75

They really shot themselves in the foot with that one. Control was kind of a breakout hit for them, not sure why they felt like they needed Epic after that game. I’m the only one in my PC friend group playing this game because I’m the only one with a PS5 lol.

I have a PC, Steam Deck, Switch, PS5 and Series X.. I mean I can play the game but I'm REALLY against EGS exclusives so if a games does it.. I refuse it on every platform.

J3nga

I have a PC, Steam Deck, Switch, PS5 and Series X.. I mean I can play the game but I'm REALLY against EGS exclusives so if a games does it.. I refuse it on every platform.
The publisher is epic games meaning they funded development of this game, I don't like exclusivity bullshit either but here boycott doesn't really make much sense.

amigastar

WTH the morgue creeped me out. I quit the game lol. Will play later but man I hope it isn't too scary.
Same here, lol. Not a big fan of horror games but i had to have this game.
Also i wanted to support Remedy, because i look forward to the Max Payne 1 and 2 Remake.

Last edited:

LastBattle

Anyone else struggled with the combat in the first few chapters? I’m finding on normal the enemies take quite a few shots to go down. Also
Some of them have a weak spot on their back, however I can’t seem to get a good angle, even when dodging. Also, do wolfs require the flash or do you just unload on them? They cower when you flash them but that’s about it.

Also, does regular flashlight use slowly reduce the battery?

Last edited:

n111ck

Which version should I get - PC or PS5? Can get it on PC for £31.99 via Humble and have an RTX3090 but is it going to be less hassle performance-wise on PS5..

amigastar

Which version should I get - PC or PS5? Can get it on PC for £31.99 via Humble and have an RTX3090 but is it going to be less hassle performance-wise on PS5..
With an RTX 3090 easily on PC, thats my 2 cent.
The PC version also supports Dualsense from what i know.
With a 3090 you can hit rocksolid 60fps with pretty good settings on high.

Last edited:

Interfectum

I have both, honestly the PS5 version is fine.

Game is fucking amazing btw. I wish we got games like this more often.

Top Bottom